Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Links Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-15-2020, 01:49 PM   #1
Newbiesaukee
Senior Member
 
Newbiesaukee's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Coral Gables, winter; Long Island, summer
Posts: 1,118
Thanks: 699
Thanked 428 Times in 218 Posts
Default Shep Brown’s

Although there is an old thread regarding Shep Brown’s sale to Goodhue and another about service at Goodhue in Wolfeboro, I’m starting this one with regard to a recent purchase at Shep Brown’s.

We sold our 2001 Sea Ray 230...I love the Lake but just got tired of dealing with minor hassles. Additionally, our summer trip this year was canceled and we got a full refund on it including air fare. Anyway....my wife decided we “needed” a small boat just to putter around the islands. I was thinking Jon boat with 8 hp but “we” decided if she did all the research, she could buy whatever ( within reason) she wanted. After research, she “wanted” a 2020 Whaler Supersport 130. Well, it is small. The boat market is overheated and she couldn’t find one. Shep Brown had one but someone had put a deposit on it. A week later Shep called as the deal fell through so my wife bought it.

They were easy ( for her) to deal with, they had to add some options and we wanted it delivered to us; so we basically did a no contact purchase and the boat was delivered in a week as promised.

Of course, buying is the easy part and we have had no problems with it so far. But it is fun to drive and Shep’s made the experience easy. The jury is still out, but that is always the case.
__________________


"You're only young once, but you can be immature forever."
Newbiesaukee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Newbiesaukee For This Useful Post:
Senior Chief (07-20-2020)
Old 07-16-2020, 09:41 AM   #2
fatlazyless
Senior Member
 
fatlazyless's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 6,903
Blog Entries: 1
Thanks: 220
Thanked 612 Times in 452 Posts
Default

The Tohatsu M40D2 is a 40-hp two stroke outboard that weighs 159 lbs and works with a steering wheel and remote throttle.

Assume your new 13' Boston Whaler has a 40-hp Mercury four-stroke. How much does the new outboard motor weigh?
__________________
Down & out, livn that Walmart side of the lake!
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 10:34 AM   #3
MAXUM
Senior Member
 
MAXUM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Hooksett, NH & Bear Island, NH
Posts: 2,424
Thanks: 233
Thanked 1,650 Times in 675 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post
The Tohatsu M40D2 is a 40-hp two stroke outboard that weighs 159 lbs and works with a steering wheel and remote throttle.

Assume your new 13' Boston Whaler has a 40-hp Mercury four-stroke. How much does the new outboard motor weigh?
They usually equip those with the 40 HP three cylinder which weighs 204lbs.

Sheps does sell a lot of 130 whalers with 25HP motors to make them useable for those w/o a boat license.
MAXUM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 10:36 AM   #4
Biggd
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Waltham Ma./Meredith NH
Posts: 2,532
Thanks: 1,102
Thanked 702 Times in 434 Posts
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbiesaukee View Post
Although there is an old thread regarding Shep Brown’s sale to Goodhue and another about service at Goodhue in Wolfeboro, I’m starting this one with regard to a recent purchase at Shep Brown’s.

We sold our 2001 Sea Ray 230...I love the Lake but just got tired of dealing with minor hassles. Additionally, our summer trip this year was canceled and we got a full refund on it including air fare. Anyway....my wife decided we “needed” a small boat just to putter around the islands. I was thinking Jon boat with 8 hp but “we” decided if she did all the research, she could buy whatever ( within reason) she wanted. After research, she “wanted” a 2020 Whaler Supersport 130. Well, it is small. The boat market is overheated and she couldn’t find one. Shep Brown had one but someone had put a deposit on it. A week later Shep called as the deal fell through so my wife bought it.

They were easy ( for her) to deal with, they had to add some options and we wanted it delivered to us; so we basically did a no contact purchase and the boat was delivered in a week as promised.

Of course, buying is the easy part and we have had no problems with it so far. But it is fun to drive and Shep’s made the experience easy. The jury is still out, but that is always the case.
That's a great choice in a small boat!
Biggd is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Biggd For This Useful Post:
Newbiesaukee (07-16-2020)
Old 07-16-2020, 11:27 AM   #5
Descant
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Merrimack and Welch Island
Posts: 2,240
Thanks: 660
Thanked 797 Times in 495 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAXUM View Post
They usually equip those with the 40 HP three cylinder which weighs 204lbs.

Sheps does sell a lot of 130 whalers with 25HP motors to make them useable for those w/o a boat license.
The 130 25 hp package is perfect for island kids under 16, but usually very knowledgeable, who have to wait a couple of years to get a certificate.
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-16-2020, 11:58 AM   #6
MAXUM
Senior Member
 
MAXUM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Hooksett, NH & Bear Island, NH
Posts: 2,424
Thanks: 233
Thanked 1,650 Times in 675 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Descant View Post
The 130 25 hp package is perfect for island kids under 16, but usually very knowledgeable, who have to wait a couple of years to get a certificate.
Yeah I heard humor that Shep's is the #1 seller of that 130SS w\25HP package in the entire country.
MAXUM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 12:07 PM   #7
fatlazyless
Senior Member
 
fatlazyless's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 6,903
Blog Entries: 1
Thanks: 220
Thanked 612 Times in 452 Posts
Default

Every time I see one, it always looks like the motor is too big, too much weight, for the boat? At 204-lbs, that's about 100-lbs less than I was expecting and is a good low weight for a boat like that.

........ the small boat expert, here!
__________________
Down & out, livn that Walmart side of the lake!
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 12:39 PM   #8
MAXUM
Senior Member
 
MAXUM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Hooksett, NH & Bear Island, NH
Posts: 2,424
Thanks: 233
Thanked 1,650 Times in 675 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post
Every time I see one, it always looks like the motor is too big, too much weight, for the boat? At 204-lbs, that's about 100-lbs less than I was expecting and is a good low weight for a boat like that.

........ the small boat expert, here!
When the 4 strokes first came out I agree they were big and heavy, but like anything else, technology and engineering has resulted in size and more so weight reductions. Couple that with significantly increasing the fuel efficiency while cutting emissions.

With Evinrude ceasing production of outboard motors that doesn't leave many options for those that still want a 2 stroke.

https://www.evinrude.com/en-US/our-e...customers.html
MAXUM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 12:50 PM   #9
fatlazyless
Senior Member
 
fatlazyless's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 6,903
Blog Entries: 1
Thanks: 220
Thanked 612 Times in 452 Posts
Default

www.outboardrepower.net in Laconia is a Tohatsu Dealer so's maybe it has or can get the Tohatsu two-strokes?

Tohatsu, made in Japan, is like the biggest selling outboard in the world, or something, and Evinrude size 15-hp and smaller was made by Tohatsu.
__________________
Down & out, livn that Walmart side of the lake!
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 02:55 PM   #10
Newbiesaukee
Senior Member
 
Newbiesaukee's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Coral Gables, winter; Long Island, summer
Posts: 1,118
Thanks: 699
Thanked 428 Times in 218 Posts
Default

Ours does have a 25 hp. Works for us. Unfortunately, at this moment I am at Sheps with a leak in the gas tank. Easy to get them on the phone. Will give follow up. I do have a boating certificate.
__________________


"You're only young once, but you can be immature forever."
Newbiesaukee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 02:57 PM   #11
ishoot308
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Gilford, NH / Welch Island
Posts: 4,847
Thanks: 1,803
Thanked 3,836 Times in 1,481 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAXUM View Post
When the 4 strokes first came out I agree they were big and heavy, but like anything else, technology and engineering has resulted in size and more so weight reductions. Couple that with significantly increasing the fuel efficiency while cutting emissions.
Very true as I am in the middle of a re-power now going from an Evinrude etec two stroke to a Merc Pro XS Command Thrust 4 stroke of the same Horsepower and the Merc is 20 lbs lighter!!

Dan
__________________
It's Always Sunny On Welch Island!!
ishoot308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 03:40 PM   #12
MAXUM
Senior Member
 
MAXUM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Hooksett, NH & Bear Island, NH
Posts: 2,424
Thanks: 233
Thanked 1,650 Times in 675 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishoot308 View Post
Very true as I am in the middle of a re-power now going from an Evinrude etec two stroke to a Merc Pro XS Command Thrust 4 stroke of the same Horsepower and the Merc is 20 lbs lighter!!

Dan
You're going to love that motor and having the command thrust gear box is a brilliant design by Mercury, well worth the small bump in price. You're going to feel like you added HP with that CT setup even though you didn't. Nice choice!
MAXUM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MAXUM For This Useful Post:
ishoot308 (07-16-2020)
Old 07-16-2020, 04:24 PM   #13
Newbiesaukee
Senior Member
 
Newbiesaukee's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Coral Gables, winter; Long Island, summer
Posts: 1,118
Thanks: 699
Thanked 428 Times in 218 Posts
Default

Long story short...crack in part of the portable gas tank. Fortunately, Shep’s had a new tank and Ron fixed me up and I am on my way. Problem solved.
__________________


"You're only young once, but you can be immature forever."
Newbiesaukee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 10:47 PM   #14
Lakeboater
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 355
Thanks: 14
Thanked 113 Times in 82 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishoot308 View Post
Very true as I am in the middle of a re-power now going from an Evinrude etec two stroke to a Merc Pro XS Command Thrust 4 stroke of the same Horsepower and the Merc is 20 lbs lighter!!

Dan
Dan, curious why the switch?
Lakeboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 07:41 AM   #15
SAMIAM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Moultonborough
Posts: 2,542
Thanks: 200
Thanked 1,218 Times in 428 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post
www.outboardrepower.net in Laconia is a Tohatsu Dealer so's maybe it has or can get the Tohatsu two-strokes?

Tohatsu, made in Japan, is like the biggest selling outboard in the world, or something, and Evinrude size 15-hp and smaller was made by Tohatsu.
Repower shop is where I bought my paddle boat.....also deals in Lehr propane motors.
Have a 5hp that runs off a 20lb propane tank or the small bottles for your grille.Great engine and "0" maintenance
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 08:12 AM   #16
ishoot308
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Gilford, NH / Welch Island
Posts: 4,847
Thanks: 1,803
Thanked 3,836 Times in 1,481 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakeboater View Post
Dan, curious why the switch?
Good question!...The Etec is now 12 years old and has been 100% trouble free. It has simply been a great motor! It is however 12 years old and on our main island boat. We live on the island 24/7 and commute back and forth to work 3-4 days a week. If the motor was to go down for any reason I would most likely be waiting 3 weeks to a month or longer to get a re-power done and being without the boat for that long would be an extreme inconvenience.

Also, as you probably know, the Etec is no longer being manufactured so I will assume parts will start drying up eventually and servicing will most likely become an issue. There is only one Etec dealer / service center on the lake (Thurston's) and while they have been fantastic to me over the years I'm sure they are going to start selling and servicing another brand and will eventually phase out Evinrude servicing.

So for the reasons stated above, I figured now was a good time...

As an fyi...I sold the Etec in 20 minutes on facebook marketplace for about 1/3rd the price of the new motor and had half dozen people in line who also wanted it. I honestly could not believe the interest in it! Not sure if its because they are no longer making them or people wanted it for parts or what but I had over 40 inquiries and 6 full price immediate sale offers. I guess I should have asked more money for it!!

Dan
__________________
It's Always Sunny On Welch Island!!
ishoot308 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ishoot308 For This Useful Post:
Hillcountry (07-17-2020), Lakeboater (07-17-2020)
Old 07-17-2020, 11:28 AM   #17
JEEPONLY
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 480
Thanks: 219
Thanked 120 Times in 94 Posts
Default Any interest?

1973- 13' Whaler Sport/40hp- w/galvy trailer. Boat/motor original- trailer 2000. Two owners only.

Probably would help if interested buyer was mechanical- boat and motor ran fine last time used- TLC would be an obvious requirement to bringing this gem back to use.

PM me.
Attached Images
  
JEEPONLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 12:56 PM   #18
MAXUM
Senior Member
 
MAXUM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Hooksett, NH & Bear Island, NH
Posts: 2,424
Thanks: 233
Thanked 1,650 Times in 675 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post
www.outboardrepower.net in Laconia is a Tohatsu Dealer so's maybe it has or can get the Tohatsu two-strokes?

Tohatsu, made in Japan, is like the biggest selling outboard in the world, or something, and Evinrude size 15-hp and smaller was made by Tohatsu.
Yamaha is the best selling on a global scale.

Suzuki, Mercury, Honda and Evinrude round out the top 5.
MAXUM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 03:15 PM   #19
DesertDweller
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Las Vegas, NV and Moultonborough, NH
Posts: 305
Thanks: 19
Thanked 74 Times in 60 Posts
Default

JEEPONLY,

Put an add on Craigslist. Probably will sell in a week. Sold mine (1986) in literally three days.
DesertDweller is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 11:13 PM   #20
chasedawg
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Melvin village
Posts: 454
Thanks: 466
Thanked 282 Times in 131 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAXUM View Post
Yamaha is the best selling on a global scale.

Suzuki, Mercury, Honda and Evinrude round out the top 5.
Really...? Where are you getting that Yamaha is the best selling on a global scale facts from. I have been told by dealers of Yamaha and Mercury that Mercury is by far has a huge marketshare over all brands. This comes from Winnisqam Marine and others. I don't know myself but am very curious where you got this information.
chasedawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2020, 05:24 AM   #21
ishoot308
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Gilford, NH / Welch Island
Posts: 4,847
Thanks: 1,803
Thanked 3,836 Times in 1,481 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasedawg View Post
Really...? Where are you getting that Yamaha is the best selling on a global scale facts from. I have been told by dealers of Yamaha and Mercury that Mercury is by far has a huge marketshare over all brands. This comes from Winnisqam Marine and others. I don't know myself but am very curious where you got this information.
Pretty sure Maxum is correct. Yamaha I believe holds 40% of the market share globally on outboards. Don’t remember where I read that but am positive I did.

Dan
__________________
It's Always Sunny On Welch Island!!
ishoot308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2020, 06:15 AM   #22
thinkxingu
Senior Member
 
thinkxingu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 3,470
Thanks: 936
Thanked 1,044 Times in 627 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishoot308 View Post
Pretty sure Maxum is correct. Yamaha I believe holds 40% of the market share globally on outboards. Don’t remember where I read that but am positive I did.

Dan
Here you go: https://www.asia-pacificboating.com/...tboard-engines

Sent from my SM-G950U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
thinkxingu is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to thinkxingu For This Useful Post:
ishoot308 (07-18-2020), TheTimeTraveler (07-18-2020)
Old 07-18-2020, 07:36 AM   #23
WinnisquamZ
Senior Member
 
WinnisquamZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 615
Thanks: 102
Thanked 209 Times in 131 Posts
Default

Thinking the marina may get higher kickback for selling a Merc over Yamaha


Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
WinnisquamZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2020, 08:29 AM   #24
Biggd
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Waltham Ma./Meredith NH
Posts: 2,532
Thanks: 1,102
Thanked 702 Times in 434 Posts
Default

I think worldwide they have market share but in the US I think Mercury is the leader.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

Last edited by Biggd; 07-18-2020 at 11:57 AM.
Biggd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2020, 09:55 AM   #25
fatlazyless
Senior Member
 
fatlazyless's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 6,903
Blog Entries: 1
Thanks: 220
Thanked 612 Times in 452 Posts
Default

Tohatsu is the biggest seller in Japan is what I should have said ..... not the world ..... plus is popular with ocean pirates from Somalia for chasing down passing freighters ...... 20-miles out in the sea.

They use a 75-hp Tohatsu tiller handle two-stroke on an all wood 20' skiff and roar out the waves to catch a slow moving freighter.

Tohatsu could make an ad with a pirate endorsing their motor ....... arrgghhh ..... Tohatsu!
__________________
Down & out, livn that Walmart side of the lake!
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2020, 11:33 AM   #26
garysanfran
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: San Francisco/Meredith
Posts: 987
Thanks: 324
Thanked 380 Times in 187 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasedawg View Post
Really...? Where are you getting that Yamaha is the best selling on a global scale facts from. I have been told by dealers of Yamaha and Mercury that Mercury is by far has a huge marketshare over all brands. This comes from Winnisqam Marine and others. I don't know myself but am very curious where you got this information.
Where I travel to Mexico, a huge fishing village, Mercury doesn't exist. Yamaha is everywhere/ The locals tell me that Yamaha is the only motor they'll ever use. No Mercury mechanic anywhere around.
__________________
Gary
~~~~_/) ~~~
~~~~~~~~
garysanfran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2020, 11:44 AM   #27
thinkxingu
Senior Member
 
thinkxingu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 3,470
Thanks: 936
Thanked 1,044 Times in 627 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by garysanfran View Post
Where I travel to Mexico, a huge fishing village, Mercury doesn't exist. Yamaha is everywhere/ The locals tell me that Yamaha is the only motor they'll ever use. No Mercury mechanic anywhere around.
Yeah, but...they also built the Adobe. http://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-li...eo/adobe/n9492

Sent from my SM-G950U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
thinkxingu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2020, 03:43 PM   #28
DesertDweller
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Las Vegas, NV and Moultonborough, NH
Posts: 305
Thanks: 19
Thanked 74 Times in 60 Posts
Default

My experience is that I will see mainly Yamaha's in the coastal/salt water areas. Where I grew boating in New Jersey it was mainly Johnson/Evinrude back in the day and now they are Yamaha's. In fresh water, I see a lot of Mercury's. Mercury/Brunswick has gained a lot of their market share by buying boat companies.
DesertDweller is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2020, 05:29 PM   #29
garysanfran
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: San Francisco/Meredith
Posts: 987
Thanks: 324
Thanked 380 Times in 187 Posts
Default

This is in Barra de Navidad, Jalisco
Attached Images
 
__________________
Gary
~~~~_/) ~~~
~~~~~~~~
garysanfran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2020, 06:39 PM   #30
jazzman
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Mont Vernon NH & Big Barndoor Island
Posts: 295
Thanks: 4
Thanked 179 Times in 57 Posts
Default

We bought the new BW SS 160 with the 90 up Merc. She flys. We ended up not doing Shep Browns because all they had was the one with the ugly brown hull stripe and they did want $500 more than the already over priced whaler dealer installed options to install them. I am worried about the gas tanks. They bloat in the heat and contract when it cools down.
jazzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2020, 07:02 PM   #31
DesertDweller
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Las Vegas, NV and Moultonborough, NH
Posts: 305
Thanks: 19
Thanked 74 Times in 60 Posts
Default

Jazzman, don't worry about those portable plastic tanks. Completely understand your concerns but they generally last a long time.
DesertDweller is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 07:36 AM   #32
Newbiesaukee
Senior Member
 
Newbiesaukee's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Coral Gables, winter; Long Island, summer
Posts: 1,118
Thanks: 699
Thanked 428 Times in 218 Posts
Default

Except for the one I described above which was defective, portable gas tanks have a variety of safety features that the last one I had 35 years ago did not have.
__________________


"You're only young once, but you can be immature forever."
Newbiesaukee is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:49 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.

This page was generated in 0.31134 seconds