Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating > Boat Repairs & Maintenance
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 07-25-2011, 06:41 PM   #1
nightrider

Default Sunfish mast question

I need Sunfish/Phantom Sailboat info. Specifically, does anyone know what gauge aluminum tubing is used for these sailboats masts??. The mast is 2" interior diameter aluminum and 10' (122") in length. A new sunfish mast is about $175. If I knew the proper gauge, I could price the aluminum tube from the appropriate manufacturer. Thanks for any info.
nightrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 07:24 PM   #2
NoBozo

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightrider View Post
I need Sunfish/Phantom Sailboat info. Specifically, does anyone know what gauge aluminum tubing is used for these sailboats masts??. The mast is 2" interior diameter aluminum and 10' (122") in length. A new sunfish mast is about $175. If I knew the proper gauge, I could price the aluminum tube from the appropriate manufacturer. Thanks for any info.
There is more than the guage to consider. Maybe you could measure the wall thickness of the mast you have and determine the "Guage". Trouble is..you maybe won't know the Grade aluminum that is used in the factory mast. The wrong Grade...and the mast may fold over during the first sail. I certainly wouldn't buy a piece of aluminum tubing from Home Depot for this application. NB

EDIT: Aluminum T-6061 is a "grade" of aluminum that is upper end for marine applications.....but may or may not be recommended for a "Free Standing" mast.
NoBozo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 08:22 PM   #3
nightrider

Default Sunfish mast question

True NB. If I someone knows the wall thickness and grade of aluminum of a sunfish/phantom mast that would be most helpful. If I could measure the wall thickness of the old mast, I would not need a new mast, as the old mast is in perfectly good shape......and in 25' of water in Winter Harrbor. My other option is to rent a scuba tank and go looking.
nightrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 09:54 PM   #4
bigdog

Default Sunfish Mast info

If interested, found a Craigslist ad for Sunfish parts, including a used mast.

http://nh.craigslist.org/boa/2511025239.html
PostingID: 2511025239

Seller located in Moultonborough too !

Good luck !

BD
bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bigdog For This Useful Post:
ApS (07-26-2011)
Old 07-26-2011, 02:00 AM   #5
ApS

Wink It Floats...It Floats...

Quote:
I could measure the wall thickness of the old mast, I would not need a new mast, as the old mast is in perfectly good shape......and in 25' of water in Winter Harbor. My other option is to rent a scuba tank and go looking.
You'll also want the two plastic end caps—designed to keep the Sunfish mast from sinking.
ApS is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-28-2011, 10:59 PM   #6
Rattlesnake Guy

The kids first sail boat was a sunfish which was a generous gift from a forum member. The end plugs had holes which meant the pole would quickly fill and sink. Before the kids had a chance to sink the mast, I shot some Great Stuff in each end to plug the tube. The end plugs kept it looking good and the expanding foam plugs kept the tube floating when the the boys were being boys.
Rattlesnake Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 01:03 PM   #7
NoBozo

Here's a place that provides replacement masts, etc for Sunfish. They are in Rhode Island. I have delt with them personally, and always satisfactorily. I even had them fabricate a welded stainless steel anchor bow roller (my own design) 20 years ago. They were very flexible. NB

http://www.rigrite.com/spars/A_spec_...ish_spars.html

EDIT; The boom material (underlined in RED) shown is 6063-T6 aluminum.
Old 07-29-2011, 07:51 PM   #8
ApS

Default Delivery Costs Doubled...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdog View Post
If interested, found a Craigslist ad for Sunfish parts, including a used mast.

http://nh.craigslist.org/boa/2511025239.html
PostingID: 2511025239

Seller located in Moultonborough too !

Good luck !

BD
To see if the sail was a proper sail for a Sunfish, I went by there today...

...and saw the biggest black bear I've ever seen.

He was lumbering down Lakeshore Drive—towards Sam and Rosie's. He wandered-off between two houses, as though he belonged there.

-------

The sail is for an Alcort Mini-Fish, which is a lot smaller than a Sunfish. It is in "worn" condition with a few small spots of damage, which can be readily repaired with sail-tape.

The spars are in good shape, but are too short for a Sunfish. They are also missing the sail attachment clips.The mast, while damaged, is in "usable condition" for Phantom, Sunfish or Mini-Fish sailboats.

I bought no items, but somebody got a good deal on the rudder and board—which were being held for the buyer.

A friend is stopping by NB's "Rig-Right" in Rhode Island, with my new mast expected in three to six weeks—hand-delivered! He will be happy to deliver any other reasonably-sized parts to the Lakes Region at no cost.

Due to its "oversized" length, truck-delivery would double the cost of the mast!
Old 07-30-2011, 11:35 AM   #9
NHBUOY

Thumbs up

I have what you need, in Meredith, cheep. PM me.
NHBUOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 06:40 PM   #10
NoBozo

Default One More Thing

If you buy an aluminum tube that is NOT Anodized..The sail will turn Black where it rubs on the mast. You will NOT be able to remove the Black Stains no matter what you do. That's just the way it is. So get an anodized tube. NB
Old 08-02-2011, 08:26 PM   #11
ITD

http://nh.craigslist.org/boa/2525905634.html
ITD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 04:28 AM   #12
ApS

Cool Jury-Rig Needed...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITD View Post
ITD:

Those items in the photograph are likely the same items I looked at in Moultonborough last week.

The mast size listed is too short for an Alcort Sunfish, but would be closer in specifications for the smaller Alcort Mini-Fish. It also has a crease that has weakened it.

Though it would appear to "work" on an Alcort Sunfish, a short mast would soon prove to be unsuitable for efficient and enjoyable sailing. Having said that, that Craigslist mast could be easily "jury-rigged" to the proper length to get through the season.
Old 08-03-2011, 04:30 PM   #13
ITD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acres per Second View Post
ITD:

Those items in the photograph are likely the same items I looked at in Moultonborough last week.

The mast size listed is too short for an Alcort Sunfish, but would be closer in specifications for the smaller Alcort Mini-Fish. It also has a crease that has weakened it.

Though it would appear to "work" on an Alcort Sunfish, a short mast would soon prove to be unsuitable for efficient and enjoyable sailing. Having said that, that Craigslist mast could be easily "jury-rigged" to the proper length to get through the season.
Oh, I just took a closer look and I can see it isn't straight, not worth $0.20 nevermind $20.00.
Thanks for pointing that out.
ITD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 04:33 PM   #14
fatlazyless

Quote:
True NB. If I someone knows the wall thickness and grade of aluminum of a sunfish/phantom mast that would be most helpful. If I could measure the wall thickness of the old mast, I would not need a new mast, as the old mast is in perfectly good shape......and in 25' of water in Winter Harrbor. My other option is to rent a scuba tank and go looking.
Maybe send your message along to the local diving schools like www.divewinnipesaukee.com, www.fathomdivers.com, and www.productiontraileranddock.com and could be that one will retrieve it as part of a dive class training activity. That actually worked for me once with a trolling motor and battery lost off my 14' sailboat when I flipped it. Two weeks later or so, I came home on a Saturday and found the trolling motor and battery sitting on my dock, and Winni Diver had left a note that it was in 48' depth, and way off from where I said it was but they found it anyway, and all for free!

Last edited by fatlazyless; 08-12-2011 at 05:11 PM.
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 08:41 PM   #15
Winnipesaukee

Default To answer your question

Here are the correct dimensions:

2.25" OD
0.065" wall thickness (so I think 16 gauge?)
122.25" length, plus or minus 1/4". This is the only mast dimension in the Sunfish class rules. If you don't care about ever racing with that mast, then roughly 122.5", but no less than 122".

Use 6063 anodized aluminum. Definitely make sure it's anodized. Ask me how I learned that.
Old 03-20-2013, 06:37 PM   #16
ApS

Red face Masts Have Landed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acres per Second View Post
A friend is stopping by NoBozo's "Rig-Right" in Rhode Island, with my new mast expected in three to six weeks—hand-delivered!
An update:

While the cost seemed oversized, at least delivery was free—and not $60—each!

Not to miss an opportunity to order more than one , I went ahead and ordered four masts, professionally cut on-site from 20-foot stock. If anyone needs a mast following a summer misadventure, send me a PM.

The Following User Says Thank You to ApS For This Useful Post:
NoBozo (03-23-2013)
Old 03-23-2013, 07:12 PM   #17
NoBozo

Hi APS: Glad things worked out. The first time I delt with RigRite was around 1975 or so with the fabricated SS anchor chock/roller. So that is more like 35+years. I think they made a custom spinnacker pole for me as well..but I'm not sure when. I'm glad to hear they are still in business and still satisfying their customers NB

Time flys as you get older..
Old 08-01-2014, 09:21 AM   #18
Stache

Default one year later

Do you still have one of those masts available, and if so, how much?

I just acquired an abandoned 1972-1986 AMF Alcort Sunfish (storage area and new type rudder mount I think). I have two sails with booms and spars but alas, no mast or rudder & tiller or dagger board.
Stache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 09:36 AM   #19
RLW

Smile

Stache, ] I was just browsing through the forum and noticed that you are fairly new to posting on the forum and glad you have joined us. Have fun and enjoy the Winni Forum while making many new friends.

Old 08-01-2014, 10:03 AM   #20
Lakeboater

Default Craig list

Stache, I believe one was just now posted on craigslist under free items. It is located in Tuftonboro. Check it out and good luck.
Lakeboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 06:57 AM   #21
ApS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stache View Post
Do you still have one of those masts available, and if so, how much? I just acquired an abandoned 1972-1986 AMF Alcort Sunfish (storage area and new type rudder mount I think). I have two sails with booms and spars but alas, no mast or rudder & tiller or dagger board.
I've sent you a Private Message.

The mast you can have at my cost—as intended. I also have a daggerboard. Reasonable prices for the rudder and associated parts can be found on eBay, but first check the approval rating of the seller(s).

For the date of manufacture, check the ID on the transom. The last two digits will be the year of manufacture. The first three letters will be the manufacturer.