Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Restaurant Information & Reviews
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 01-05-2008, 02:40 PM   #1
LoveBitesPastryShop

Default Love Bites Pastry Shop Rumors…and why we shouldn’t believe everything we hear

Just recently I had a few unfounded and just plain silly rumors brought to my attention in regards to my business. I would like to take the opportunity to clarify some of these tall tales.

Silly false rumor #1 The size of the desserts we supply to Lemongrass have gotten smaller.

The reason why this is silly is because we use dessert forms, the same forms that the previous owner of Love Bites used. These forms are made from metal and plastic, as far as I know they don’t shrink. We also use the same recipes and ratios, in short there is no possible way for these desserts to be any different in size then they were previously. The only reason I could see for some to “appear” smaller is because a great deal of the desserts we supply to them are mousse based desserts and their height depends on the amount of air whipped into the desserts, some may have settled but I can assure you the net weight is still the same.

Silly false rumor #2 Love Bites no longer does wedding cakes.

This one is so silly and far out there that it almost defies logic and common sense. OF COURSE we do wedding cakes. In fact we love doing wedding cakes so much that we spend a great deal of time and energy researching the latest techniques and styles for today’s brides. As well as joining forces with a local florist to help provide couples with a wonderful bargain for both their wedding cakes and their flowers.

Silly false rumor #3 Darcy just runs the business and has other people doing the baking.

We are a team here at Love Bites Pastry Shop. I am the owner and head chef, as such I do spend some of my time doing administration things however, if I am not doing any baking then I wish someone would please explain to me what I am doing for 86 hours a week in my kitchen and why at the end of the day I am washing flour out of my hair and why my goofy chef pants are covered in chocolate and raspberry sauce.

Since I have purchased this business we have expanded by leaps and bounds, securing much larger wholesale clients than we ever had before, such as becoming “The official pastry supplier” for Meadowbrook. We are also working with coffee shops, bookstores, restaurants, and non-profit groups from all over the Lakes Region and beyond. Not to mention being 1 of the few if not only pastry shops that supplies such high end pastries made from only the finest of ingredients gathered from both local sources as well as shipped in from all over the world. We also are expanding our foray into the sculpted cakes realm and can truly, comfortably boast the fact that we can turn most anything into a cake. Most of our recipes have remained exactly the same, a few changed for the better according to our patrons, made by the same staff that have been working with these recipes for years.

I truly appreciate you taking the time to read this, and would also appreciate you forwarding this information along, so much so that I am prepared to offer anyone who mentions this posting to us a 10% discount off their purchase here (excluding wedding and sculpted cakes).
LoveBitesPastryShop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 04:37 PM   #2
idigtractors

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBitesPastryShop View Post
Just recently I had a few unfounded and just plain silly rumors brought to my attention in regards to my business. I would like to take the opportunity to clarify some of these tall tales.

Silly false rumor #1 The size of the desserts we supply to Lemongrass have gotten smaller.

The reason why this is silly is because we use dessert forms, the same forms that the previous owner of Love Bites used. These forms are made from metal and plastic, as far as I know they don’t shrink. We also use the same recipes and ratios, in short there is no possible way for these desserts to be any different in size then they were previously. The only reason I could see for some to “appear” smaller is because a great deal of the desserts we supply to them are mousse based desserts and their height depends on the amount of air whipped into the desserts, some may have settled but I can assure you the net weight is still the same.

Silly false rumor #2 Love Bites no longer does wedding cakes.

This one is so silly and far out there that it almost defies logic and common sense. OF COURSE we do wedding cakes. In fact we love doing wedding cakes so much that we spend a great deal of time and energy researching the latest techniques and styles for today’s brides. As well as joining forces with a local florist to help provide couples with a wonderful bargain for both their wedding cakes and their flowers.

Silly false rumor #3 Darcy just runs the business and has other people doing the baking.

We are a team here at Love Bites Pastry Shop. I am the owner and head chef, as such I do spend some of my time doing administration things however, if I am not doing any baking then I wish someone would please explain to me what I am doing for 86 hours a week in my kitchen and why at the end of the day I am washing flour out of my hair and why my goofy chef pants are covered in chocolate and raspberry sauce.

Since I have purchased this business we have expanded by leaps and bounds, securing much larger wholesale clients than we ever had before, such as becoming “The official pastry supplier” for Meadowbrook. We are also working with coffee shops, bookstores, restaurants, and non-profit groups from all over the Lakes Region and beyond. Not to mention being 1 of the few if not only pastry shops that supplies such high end pastries made from only the finest of ingredients gathered from both local sources as well as shipped in from all over the world. We also are expanding our foray into the sculpted cakes realm and can truly, comfortably boast the fact that we can turn most anything into a cake. Most of our recipes have remained exactly the same, a few changed for the better according to our patrons, made by the same staff that have been working with these recipes for years.

I truly appreciate you taking the time to read this, and would also appreciate you forwarding this information along, so much so that I am prepared to offer anyone who mentions this posting to us a 10% discount off their purchase here (excluding wedding and sculpted cakes).
Good for you for setting any rumors to rest. I believe you did the right thing and I'll be the first to pass on your statements to anyone that brings up any of the above rumors. Best of luck with the business and it sounds as if you are having lots of it.
idigtractors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 06:27 PM   #3
moose tracks

Location: Loudon, Tennessee, foothills of the Great Smoky Mountains
Default Love Bites

I cannot wait to get something from the Love Bites Pastry Shop! Good Work.
Old 01-08-2008, 12:39 PM   #4
twoplustwo

Thumbs up you're doing a great job, Darcy

I've been to your shop, I've seen you in the kitchen, I've had more than several of your desserts. Don't let the idiots get you down, you have much to be proud of - your stuff is as delicious as it's presentation is beautiful. Some of the people who frequent this area need a new hobby.
twoplustwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 03:59 PM   #5
LoveBitesPastryShop

Smile Thank you!

Thank you all so much for your responses! Your support and encouragement is very much appreciated. I have always held the belief that if you don’t meet these sorts of things head on then you can not be upset when they continue, so I felt this was the right thing to do.
After reading your wonderfully supportive comments I truly feel a great deal better. I look forward to many years of supplying you all with only the finest my kitchen can offer. Don’t forget to mention this thread when you come by so you can get 10% off your purchase!
Sponsored Links
Old 01-08-2008, 09:54 PM   #6
Mr Port Jefferson

Where are you located?
Mr Port Jefferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 11:10 AM   #7
phoenix

wont' be able to get in until the summer but will mention the thread. good luck
Old 01-09-2008, 12:31 PM   #8
LoveBitesPastryShop

Mr. Port Jefferson…Thanks so much for asking. We are located in Moultonboro off Old Rt 109. Nelson rd.
We have complete driving directions as well as our full menu on our website.
www.lovebitespastryshop.com

Pheonix… I really appreciate it and look forward to serving you in the summer. Thanks!
Old 01-13-2008, 06:06 PM   #9
MaryS

Default A wonderful place!!!

So glad you are still in business. I enjoyed your super chocolate cake...only that good because of real, quality, ingredients... Thanks....will be back again this spring...
MaryS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 10:26 AM   #10
tomboymom

Default Love Bites....yum!

Just a quick note that this forum led me to order a Chocolate Suicide birthday cake for my husband this past weekend and it exceeded all of our expectations. Delicious, elegant and Darcy was fun and easy to work with. If you haven't yet tried Love Bites, please do. There is nothing else like it in the Lakes Region for quality confections.
tomboymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 11:42 AM   #11
DREAMS

Smile Same good cooking for sure

I recently visited your shop for the first time. The "Open" sign was the only clue with the business sign burried in snow. However, your directions are helpful especially since you are reclused in a residential neighborhood setback from the main road.

Although I did not get to meet Darcy, I did observe a gal busy in the Kitchen. I enjoyed the welcome of a familiar face and smile who was with Donna for the past 8 years. There were many good choices and finally selected the Carot Cake. I must admit it was as good and possibly better than past experience. If Donna is working so many hours in a week, she deserves a world of appraise struggling to make so many people happy with her effort and services. Who said working for yourself was the best choice?
Hopefully, she can acquire more help to reduce the load and enjoy life once again as well as enjoying her business.

Ignore such terrible rumors Darcy. You are very smart for bringing the truth and answers to the forefront in a public and professional manner to confirm your current goals. Quite frankly, if you do the cooking or others follow your recipe and produce the same results, what business is it of anyone. It's the final product that you deliver to the customer that matter's. A good manager of any business has the proper people performing the necessary job or functions to complete the task, not deep in the middle of the soup pile working and trying to manage a business!

Best of Luck Darcy and keep up the good work. Do take some time off before you are sick in bed or develop serious health issues!
DREAMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 10:56 AM   #12
jazzkitty

Default Love Bites

Yes, we love it too. Can't say enough about the chocolate cake -- it's sinful!
jazzkitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 04:49 PM   #13
LoveBitesPastryShop

Thumbs up Thanks so much!!!

Thank you all so much for the nice things you have had to say about us. We love what we do and I think it shows. You can find our products at some of the most amazing restaurants and venues all around the lake and of course we'd always love a visit to our little hidden shop that we keep stocked with a whole slew of fabulousness (that has to be a word right?). We are working on some yummy new things, like cool refreshing grasshopper pie (mint white chocolate mousse on an Oreo crust). Gonna have to give it a try

Thanks again!
Old 07-26-2008, 02:57 AM   #14
mike ray

Default we love, love bites!

the weirs beach lobster pound proudly serves love bites deserts. we are from boston's north end, and love bites has the best deserts we have ever tasted. darcy is a very talented woman. mike
mike ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 08:32 AM   #15
sa meredith

Default late

Mike Ray: 3:57 AM?
Go to bed!
sa meredith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 06:18 PM   #16
LoveBitesPastryShop

Phewww…I finally got a chance during this crazy busy season to sit down and get caught up with the forums! May I just say WOW, what a wonderful surprise to see what my dear friend and client had to say about me. Mike I can not tell you how much we appreciated your post. We work very hard over here in my little shop to provide the Lakes Region with outstanding quality pastries, specialty cakes and of course many many wedding cakes, and to be complimented on our hard work in such a way is truly inspiring. Speaking of hard work, you guys, and all of our other outstanding clients both wholesale and retail have been keeping us girls hopping, but we love every flour covered, chocolate glazed, crumb filled minute of it! We here are very proud of the fact that we have had the opportunity to work with you Mike, your brother Rich, Carol, and of course Michael. It has been our sincere joy and honor to begin working with you right from the start and watched as your amazing team pulled it together under extremely pressured circumstances to provide the lakes region with an outstanding new place for the community to enjoy. We here at Love Bites very much look forward to working with you and your wonderful staff at The Lobster Pound for many many successful years!

Sa Meredith…Isn’t he awesome? After working at 90 miles an hour all day and well into the night they sit down and take the time to write something so sweet. They truly are wonderful guys and we are very proud to have the opportunity to work with them.

We have really enjoyed meeting a lot of people from the forum and really appreciate all of you for taking the time to come in and find our little shop!

Last edited by LoveBitesPastryShop; 08-15-2008 at 08:25 PM. Reason: Apparently I can’t spell
Old 09-09-2008, 06:18 AM   #17
twoplustwo

Thumbs up fabulous!!!

Darcy made a chocolate suicide cake for my daughter's 16th birthday party on Friday, and there aren't enough positive words to say about that cake. It was enormous, decadent, chocolatey perfection, and beautiful, to boot. Sadly, my little one finished the last piece yesterday, so we've decided to invent an excuse to get another one. Her cases are full of such beautiful concoctions, if you haven't found your way to Love Bites yet, you really need to.

I wish I had a better picture, my digi cam died and I had to use my kid's, which doesn't do it justice.

Thank you, Darcy! It was perfect.
Attached Images

twoplustwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 11:03 AM   #18
Winniislander

Thumbs up Love Bites Key Lime and Almond Joy Tart

Best ever.
Very classy presentation on both and everyone loved them....

Pie-Guy Converts.
Winniislander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 09:44 PM   #19
GWC...

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoplustwo View Post
Darcy made a chocolate suicide cake for my daughter's 16th birthday party on Friday, and there aren't enough positive words to say about that cake. It was enormous, decadent, chocolatey perfection, and beautiful, to boot. Sadly, my little one finished the last piece yesterday, so we've decided to invent an excuse to get another one. Her cases are full of such beautiful concoctions, if you haven't found your way to Love Bites yet, you really need to.

I wish I had a better picture, my digi cam died and I had to use my kid's, which doesn't do it justice.

Thank you, Darcy! It was perfect.
How's this for an excuse to sample a little something delectable from Love Bites Pastry Shop?

Attend Forum Fest V Saturday, September 20 from noon to 3:00 pm at the LPC and you and your family, once again, will have the pleasure of tasting a special creation by Darcy. Anyone's guess as to what it will be; but rumor has it that it will be something special to be enjoyed by those in attendance.
Old 09-18-2008, 02:23 PM   #20
GWC...

Exclamation Less than 45 hours...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argie's Wife View Post

You are cordially invited to
Forum Fest V
to be held on
Saturday, September 20, 2008
from
12:00 to 3:00 PM
at
The Loon Preservation Center
Moultonboro, New Hampshire

Admission is free.
The mind is restless with curiosity...

Darcy of Love Bites Pastry Shop has something in mind,

"really special" is all she'll say.

What could it be; oh, what could it be???

a "really special" sweet treat,

something to delight the eyes and palate,

for all to enjoy, for certainty...

What could it be; oh, what could it be???
Old 09-23-2008, 04:37 PM   #21
GWC...

Wow!!!

So, did anyone actually taste the cake?

Was it vanilla (yellow), chocolate, or marble?

Was it a layer cake?

If so, what was the filling between layers?

Curious minds need to know...

P.S.- This is the correct place for food revues, yes?

P.P.S.- So, this website is 13 years old - a teenager!!!
This really is going to be a long Winter...
Old 09-24-2008, 01:56 PM   #22
SIKSUKR

I really wanted that "enter-->" button pasted next to mouth.I thought about everyone eating the middle of the display so I could stick my head in from the back and look out at everyone like something from photopost!I never did wait for the cake to be cut.My loss.
Old 09-24-2008, 03:36 PM   #23
GWC...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIKSUKR View Post
I thought about everyone eating the middle of the display so I could stick my head in from the back and look out at everyone like something from photopost!
Something like this...

Name:  ModFFVCake.JPG
Views: 3655
Size:  32.9 KB
Old 09-24-2008, 08:22 PM   #24
Skipper of the Sea Que
Deceased Member

Thumbs up Opening up the computer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWC... View Post
So, did anyone actually taste the cake?

Was it vanilla (yellow), chocolate, or marble?

Was it a layer cake?

If so, what was the filling between layers?

Curious minds need to know...
GWC, what's the URL for that web site you displayed on the computer ?

There were some "mega-bites" missing when I took this shot (I think Don mentioned something like that). The cake was excellent. A delight for the palate.

I did not analyze the ingredients or the filling material. I didn't want to break down the cake formula, I just wanted to eat it

I'm sure you'll get the official "culinary" type information from Darcy. I just call it yummy.
Attached Images

Amateur HAM Radio What is it? You'll be surprised. When all else fails Ham Radio still works.
Shriners Hospitals providing specialized care for children regardless of ability to pay. Find out more or refer a patient.

Last edited by Skipper of the Sea Que; 09-24-2008 at 09:03 PM. Reason: Tried to eat cake through monitor.....
Skipper of the Sea Que is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 10:28 PM   #25
Hermit Cover

Default How do you spell.....

Yummmm Meeeeeee??? I think "W" would have called it 'Yummalishish'
Hermit Cover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 07:10 AM   #26
SIKSUKR

Oh boy GWC,now that is scary!Looks like a virus has infected the ff cake.
Old 09-25-2008, 10:58 AM   #27
Pineedles

Default Cookies at FF

I want to know from Sunset Bob how those cookies he won in the raffle were? I was really tempted to try one but one of Lakegeeezer's web camera was aimed right at them.
Pineedles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 10:58 AM   #28
Argie's Wife

If memory serves me right, the cake was a vanilla cake with a rberry (strawberry? raspberry?) filling. It was nice and light - not sicky sweet...

I loved the design tho!

(The mouse was all frosting! I gave it to Don but he soon realized that it wasn't "cake" - I think I cut the piece with either the "enter" key or the "delete" key. - I remember joking that he'd probably like "Ctrl+Alt+Delete" on his plate!)

As a Mac user, it felt great to seriously cut into a PC.
Argie's Wife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 06:47 PM   #29
Pineedles

Default Weird desires

I was sitting at our dinner table tonight, finishing the last piece of steak and the DW (stands for Darling Wife) said, "What do you want for dessert?" I had an image of the Love Bites Pastry Shop computer cake pop into my mind. No, not the one with SS's face on it, but the layered strawberry/rasberry filling that I never had a chance to eat. That was my fault, as I was trying to drop a few lbs. before my annual physical. However, I never received an answer from Sunset Bob as to the bite by bite taste of the cookies he won at the FF '08 get together. Was it so scrumptious that you were afraid to tell us SB? I need COOKIES, CAKES, DESSERTS. I don't care about my diet anymore! I need Love Bites Pastry Shop 's computer cake before I eat this one!

Sorry for the rant.
Old 01-12-2009, 06:41 AM   #30
dpg

Oh you had to mention weight and physicals. I go back to the docs Wednesday, he had wanted me to lose 10 pounds. I think I lost maybe 3 or 4 don't know, haven't been on a scale . To top it off next month I go on a cruise, now there's an easy time to shed some pounds.
dpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 01:05 PM   #31
SIKSUKR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pineedles View Post
I had an image of the Love Bites Pastry Shop computer cake pop into my mind. No, not the one with SS's face on it, but the layered strawberry/rasberry filling that I never had a chance to eat.
:
OK,I know,that's a face only a mother could eat.But it would be fun to carve it up,right Pineedles?
Old 01-13-2009, 08:50 PM   #32
Pineedles

Default Ss

Mothers are blind, as am I. I'm as'ad.n i'll be ras r eh tom.

Above is my attempt at a palindrome. Failed attempt! I can't be brillant in all my replies. You win SS. I'll get you the next time.
Old 01-16-2009, 05:34 PM   #33
Cartmen&Martmen

Default LOVE that cake!

The cakes at Love Bites Pastry Shop are amazing! The chocolate Suicide Cake is great, I've had it several times and everytime is as good as the last. Looking forward to trying more of her desserts in the future.
Cartmen&Martmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 11:47 PM   #34
jeffk

So after you eat a chocolate Suicide Cake do you have to get a chocolate Resurrection Cake before you can get another chocolate Suicide cake?
jeffk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 12:05 AM   #35
trfour

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffk View Post
So after you eat a chocolate Suicide Cake do you have to get a chocolate Resurrection Cake before you can get another chocolate Suicide cake?
You are really getting Good, pal!.... " Too funny "

Resuscitation, is what this very old Lake geezer would need!

Always Remember, The Best Safety Device In The Boat, or on a PWC Snowmobile etc., Is YOU!

Safe sledding tips and much more; http://www.snowmobile.org/snowmobiling-safety.html
trfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 09:18 PM   #36
Nadia

Wink

Dear Dear Darcy,
One part of me wants to say you shouldn't even pay attention to such nonsense, and another part of me says shush because I've done it before too. I know exactly what your feeling, I went through it for years. A lot of it comes from jealousy. When a business is doing well and thriving, some people aren't always happy for you, and things tend to circulate just like you mentioned. On the other hand, I know good desserts and yours are excellent. They are served at the Lobster Pound. Mike Ray has yet to catch me eating the Chocolate Suicide C ake at work!! While I'm confessing my sins, that White Chocolate Oreo Cheesecake was incredible as well!!!

Chef Nadia Bennett

Last edited by Nadia; 01-28-2009 at 09:54 PM. Reason: Spelling
Nadia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 10:25 PM   #37
mike ray

Default taking the cake

we might have to put a pad lock on the chocolate cake! everybody hovers around the deserts when they are being cut, waiting for a crumb to fall! nobody is worse than me and rich nadia, we are always sneaking pieces. i cant get mad at you guys, it is way too much temptation for any human being to resist.
Old 02-25-2009, 09:16 AM   #38
luvmypups

Thumbs down I do believe everything I hear....

Your just taking credit for something someone else created and the majority of your recipes are not even your own. I wish I had some good things to say about the "new" Love Bite's but the name is now ruined and the desserts have gone downhill significantly. Such a shame.
luvmypups is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 10:08 AM   #39
sa meredith

Default Really?

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmypups View Post
Your just taking credit for something someone else created and the majority of your recipes are not even your own. I wish I had some good things to say about the "new" Love Bite's but the name is now ruined and the desserts have gone downhill significantly. Such a shame.
luvmypups
OK, I'll bite:

Sushi....check!

Subs from Subway....check! (really?, subs?....OK)

Pastry and deserts....not so much! Got it.
Seems like you might be swimming against the tide on this one.
Old 02-25-2009, 10:22 AM   #40
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,626 Times in 562 Posts

Quite a nasty post from Lovemypups. To complain that she is not using her own recipes is not fair. What does it matter? I'm sure you'd complain if they had changed them, as well.
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SAMIAM For This Useful Post:
Nadia (09-23-2009), VitaBene (02-25-2009), Waterbaby (02-25-2009)
Old 02-25-2009, 12:20 PM   #41
jmen24

I Finally have enough posts for the Restaurant Threads, so hear it goes. I completely agree with SAMIAM, what does it matter, I use recipes that were my Great-Grandmothers and I take credit for the meal (I did prepare and serve it). I do not get why you would make this part of your point, good recipes should be passed along. I you purchase a business you buy it all, customer lists, recipes, all of it. I have not been but it sounds like a can't miss pastry shop to me.
jmen24 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jmen24 For This Useful Post:
VitaBene (02-25-2009)
Old 02-25-2009, 01:25 PM   #42
VitaBene

Thanked 1,608 Times in 823 Posts
Default Its all in the Presentation

Quote:
Not trying to be nasty at all, I guess I just have the inside scoop
What does that mean? As was noted above when the new owners bought the business they received it all- good and bad. The recipes were part of it, so what is the inside scoop mean?

Read your original post a few times- it's all in the presentation. Forums such as this are not places where people all gather and sing Kumbayah, but if you have a problem with a place you have to present it in manner that illuminates the problem without purely bashing. Of course, this is solely my opinion!
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to VitaBene For This Useful Post:
Resident 2B (02-25-2009)
Old 02-25-2009, 01:44 PM   #43
luvmypups

Talking Not being nasty

I am actually not trying to be nasty at all. I do understand that the new owner bought the business from The Love's and therefore, probably gaining the rights to all of the recipes but in my opinion I just think it's dumb to take credit for some one else's creations and if no one agrees then that's fine....no biggie.As for my own experiences, I once called to get some information on getting a cake done from her and the new owner was just plain rude to me. On another occasion, I attended a party and the cake was done by her and it was a huge disappointment, just HORRIBLE! I think the person who threw the party ended up asking for her money back. Who knows, the owner could be a nice person....I dont know and maybe she will improve, that would be great. Until then I'm steering clear.
Everyone is on here to give their personal opinions and knowledge, GOOD OR BAD. My experiences were not so good in this case. I was not trying to be nasty, just as honest as I thought I should be
Old 02-25-2009, 01:45 PM   #44
brk-lnt

Quote:
Originally Posted by VitaBene View Post
Of course, this is solely my opinion!
True, but it's a widely shared opinion
Old 02-25-2009, 02:25 PM   #45
sa meredith

Default fine..

Quote:
I am actually not trying to be nasty at all. I do understand that the new owner bought the business from The Love's and therefore, probably gaining the rights to all of the recipes but in my opinion I just think it's dumb to take credit for some one else's creations and if no one agrees then that's fine....no biggie.As for my own experiences, I once called to get some information on getting a cake done from her and the new owner was just plain rude to me. On another occasion, I attended a party and the cake was done by her and it was a huge disappointment, just HORRIBLE! I think the person who threw the party ended up asking for her money back. Who knows, the owner could be a nice person....I dont know and maybe she will improve, that would be great. Until then I'm steering clear.
Everyone is on here to give their personal opinions and knowledge, GOOD OR BAD. My experiences were not so good in this case. I was not trying to be nasty, just as honest as I thought I should be
Now see, in my opinion, this is fine. You have had problems with them, and explained why you dislike the place...great. A reader can take it under advisement.
But, in your first post, you jumped in, took a couple of shots, blasted them a bit, and jumped out. You needed a little more substance, which, it would seem, you have now provided.
Anyway...jusy my thoughts...
The Following User Says Thank You to sa meredith For This Useful Post:
VitaBene (02-25-2009)
Old 02-25-2009, 02:45 PM   #46
luvmypups

Talking Thank You

Thank You,
I can see why I may have came off as being too harsh but I do have my reasons that I purhaps should have provided in my first comment. Thanks for being understanding, I certainly wasnt trying to be mean or get anyone angry with me.
Old 02-25-2009, 04:18 PM   #47
VitaBene

Thanked 1,608 Times in 823 Posts

Quote:
Thank You,
I can see why I may have came off as being too harsh but I do have my reasons that I purhaps should have provided in my first comment. Thanks for being understanding, I certainly wasnt trying to be mean or get anyone angry with me.
No worries on my part- SA did a better job explaining than I did. Had those details been in your original post everyone would have understood your position better.

Enjoy the forum!!
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 09:22 AM   #48
LoveBitesPastryShop

Default Thank you for helping me be a better business owner

I thank you for bringing your concerns to my attention. I am very disheartened to hear that your experience with my business was not a positive one. If you’d be so inclined I would very much welcome the opportunity to try to rectify that. I take costumer complaints very seriously and will always work very hard to please everyone. Should you find your self in need of a dessert I hope that you would consider giving us another try, I would very much like to serve you.

I would like to take a minute to address the recipe issues you had mentioned. I read your concerns and find them to be valid, though a bit misinformed and would like to respond in order to clear the air. As I stated very clearly in my first post “Most of our recipes have remained exactly the same, a few changed for the better according to our patrons…” As SamIam has already pointed out there was a great deal of concern by myself, as well as with the former owners that if I deviated too much from the recipes the former owners used that people would complain. When I took over this business, along with a great deal of other things, I received an entire bookcase filled with cook books, none authored by the previous owner, as well as a large binder filled with photocopies of recipes from various magazines, as well as recipes sent over e-mail by various people. So it would seem that just like myself, the former owners of Love Bites also used recipes that they did not create on their own. While there are some dessert ideas I have formulated myself most are a derivative of recipes someone else had created. A new menu item I just tried a few weeks ago comes to mind, our Peanutbutter cup cake, if you like Pb cups, you’ll love this cake. While I certainly was not the one to come up with the idea that chocolate and peanutbutter compliment each other nicely, it took a customers request, and some current recipes tweaked to work for this particular dessert, and viola I had put together a cake that will undeniably have a permanent place on my menu. I currently have on my clipboard two recipe cards from a customer that belonged to his grandmother. He has asked me to create these two desserts for him and I will do so proudly and hope that I can recreate the flavor this customer grew to love as a young child and into an adult. Dessert ideas can come from many different places, and the recipes for a particular dessert can be found in duplicate almost every where you look. Do you have any idea how many different ways you can make a simple vanilla cake? Google it some time, it’s mind boggling, however you’ll find that they are all just derivatives of the same base recipe. What it all comes down to is this, when I took over this business I also took over the right to lay claim on anything that leaves my kitchen, good, bad, or indifferent.

I hope that I have addressed your concerns and would welcome you and anyone else who has any further issues to give me a call. My ear is always open to comments, concerns, or ideas for improvement.

Thank you again for bringing your concerns to light and for taking the time to read this.

Best Regards,
Darcy
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to LoveBitesPastryShop For This Useful Post:
hazelnut (02-26-2009), islandAl (02-26-2009), oak grove (02-26-2009), Resident 2B (02-26-2009), RI Swamp Yankee (02-26-2009), RLW (02-26-2009), secondcurve (02-26-2009), SIKSUKR (02-26-2009), trfour (02-26-2009)
Old 02-26-2009, 05:13 PM   #49
mike ray

Default love bites at the lobster pound

we have carried love bites deserts at the pound since we opened, and they have always recieved stellar reviews. we have not had 1 complaint. people always ask us where we get our deserts, they absolutely rave about them. darcy has been a joy to work with since the beginning. her service to us (she delivers the deserts personally), has been impecable. we are very lucky to have such a fine pastry shop in the area.
Old 02-26-2009, 08:07 PM   #50
hazelnut

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBitesPastryShop View Post
...When I took over this business, along with a great deal of other things, I received an entire bookcase filled with cook books, none authored by the previous owner, as well as a large binder filled with photocopies of recipes from various magazines, as well as recipes sent over e-mail by various people. So it would seem that just like myself, the former owners of Love Bites also used recipes that they did not create on their own. While there are some dessert ideas I have formulated myself most are a derivative of recipes someone else had created. ...
Darcy
And there lies the exact point I was GOING to make. I don't want to take anything away from the previous owner but it's not as if she created the recipe for chocolate cake or blueberry pie or key lime pie or whatever.... The criticism from Luvmypups would seem to me to be way way off base. For the most part pastry and cake recipes are all the same minus a few tweaks here and there. So where does this person get off telling you that you are "...taking credit for something someone else created ." I guess that we could say the same thing about Ms. Love then. Well in that case mike ray better watch out because he is stealing the old Lobster Pounds recipe for making Lobster.... ha ha ha
hazelnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 08:46 PM   #51
luvmypups

Question

Not everyone has had great experiences with her shop , obviously. WHAT I MEANT...and perhaps didnt say it correctly, was that Yes, she has royalties to the recipes etc. BUT I see people raving about the chocolate suicide cake or the key lime pie and someone else taking credit for it. Those were things Donna perfected, So...yes it was my opinion that I thought it was a little dumb. I am not trying to put Darcy out of business or anything...so relax. We are on here to give our opinions and my experiences with her and her business were not good ones, is that any fault of mine? As for Darcy, you cant win em' all. I am not wishing her business to fail and I wish my experience had been a good one, why wouldnt I ??
Old 02-26-2009, 08:59 PM   #52
secondcurve

your opinion is clearly an outlier as far as this business is concerned. Perhaps you should try them again and then post about your experience.
secondcurve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 09:10 PM   #53
brk-lnt

Quote:
BUT I see people raving about the chocolate suicide cake or the key lime pie and someone else taking credit for it. Those were things Donna perfected
You seem to have a bit of a bug up your ass about this point.

The recipe for chocolate suicide cake, et al, was "perfected" long before any of us on this forum were ever conceived. Although from your posts it appears you had a rare bad experience with the shop, you do not know for certain if Darcy implements the old recipes exactly the same, or if she has in fact "perfected" them.
hazelnut (02-26-2009)
Old 02-27-2009, 12:12 PM   #54
luvmypups

Wink

Yes, a big bug. I expressed my opinion like everyone else and that's all I have to say about the matter
Old 02-28-2009, 04:45 PM   #55
tomboymom

Default Well....

MY opinion of Darcy and her shop is tops! Twice now during the dead of winter when she is not even officially open, she has graciously made me a custom version (no raspberry!) of her delicious chocolate suicide cake for my hubby's birthday.

The cake is fantastic, the service is friendly and attentive, and I'd highly recommend her.
tomboymom is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tomboymom For This Useful Post:
RI Swamp Yankee (02-28-2009)
Old 03-17-2009, 01:45 PM   #56
RLW

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by coach0834 View Post
Wow. I just stumbeled upon this website and I know I'm gonna be hooked.
I would like to start off by saying that I think luvmypups is getting beat up pretty bad here and all he/she is doing is giving their opinion. I have to say that I have visited love bites on more than one occasion and I have mixed reviews. When I went last summer their cases were stocked, and the desserts were very good. But I did go back over the winter and I couldn't believe the difference. It had really gone down hill!!! I don't know what happened. I DID decide to give her another chance and order the chocolate suicide that everyone has been raving about and to be completely honest I wasn't as impressed as I thought I would be. Not only was the person that I talked to very rude but I wasn't happy with the cake either. The chocolate had a very bad after taste (which usually means cheap chocolate) and the outside was very poorly decorated. I also got a couple other things one of which was a cheesecake which was VERY overbaked and sour.The last thing I thought I would do when I found this site was to post a negative post but I just couldn't keep my mouth shut. So I have to agree 100% with luvmypups. And I can say that there are plenty of people that I know that feel the same way.
You took the time to make your comments known on the forum, but did you go back and express them to the people personally??? I am sure they would love to hear them directly from you and possibly they would try and correct the situation that YOU had.
Waterbaby (03-17-2009)