Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-22-2022, 10:00 AM   #1
barsully

Default Sit on top Kayak

Looking to buy a sit on top Kayak. What is a good stable model?

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
barsully is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2022, 10:41 AM   #2
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,959 Times in 1,210 Posts

Way too general a question. What will you use it for? What will the water conditions be that you'll use it in? How light does it have to be?

We've got two (inside seating) Pelican 100X kayaks that are perfect for quiet cove floating and short distance paddling. They track fine and are stable enough, but we don't get much rough water or strong winds.

I just grabbed a Vibe Yellowfin 100 (sit-on-top) for my 12-year-old son, which is more of a fishing kayak than general use. It is definitely more stable and has a much better seat, but it's also 20 pounds heavier and much wider, making it hard/impossible for him to put in the water by himself.

If just looking for something to tool around in, hit up Marketplace and grab what looks good–there's not a huge difference between lower end 'yaks if you stay with the good brands.

If looking for more of a specialty use, do some review research or, again, hit up Marketplace and grab what looks good.

I picked up the Pelicans for ~$100 each and the Vibe, which was literally brand new, for $300.
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2022, 11:09 AM   #3
The Real BigGuy

I have both sit in and sit on kayaks. I got the sit on because of knee/hip issues that made it very difficult to get into my sit in. Mine sit on was a cheaper one bought at Dick’s Sporting Goods. Frankly it isn’t much heavier than my sit in. I did add a seat that attaches to grommets already on the sit on for back support. Later I found a sit in with a much longer opening that allowed for easier entry & exit which I prefer to the sit on.

Bottom line: I don’t think the manufacturer of a sit on makes a heck of a lot of difference. Find one that is light enough to manage.

The Real BigGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2022, 06:36 PM   #4
chachee52

Quote:
Originally Posted by barsully View Post
Looking to buy a sit on top Kayak. What is a good stable model?

No is the time to buy. Go find a place that rents them and a lot of them are selling off their boats right now to get ready for next season. Go try some and see which ones you like.
I have a ton of kayaks of different types and sizes. Each one for different waters. Some cheap and for the kid to tool around on, some more expensive (wife built a wood strip kayak). What is comfortable to me, might not be comfortable to you. You really have to figure out how you are going to use it. Short trips, comfort probably isn't that important, long trips comfortable seat is more important.
No matter what you pick, have fun and be safe.
chachee52 is offline   Reply With Quote