Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-11-2009, 06:48 PM   #1
Pineedles

Default 911

I am watching a television show depicting the stories of people who were directly involved in these tragic events. I am sad, proud, heartbroken, enlightened, and crushed. But most of all, I am still ANGRY. I will never forget what has been done to us. I know that there is no comparison to what was done to the the Jewish people in WWII, but I plead with all of you who read this. NEVER FORGET!
Pineedles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 07:46 PM   #2
eillac@dow

Default No Worries

Pineedles....

No worries from here. 9/11 will never be forgotton in my mind.

I do agree with you about the Holocaust. Probably the worst thing in history. But 9/11...something happening in my generation....seems just as big. And I mean no disrespect to those who are Jewish.

But I am also...sad, proud, heartbroken, enlightened, and crushed. I did not have a family member directly impacted by 9/11.....but in someways I feel like my family was.

All the best....but never forget them.
eillac@dow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 07:56 PM   #3
sa meredith

Default same thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pineedles View Post
I am watching a television show depicting the stories of people who were directly involved in these tragic events. I am sad, proud, heartbroken, enlightened, and crushed. But most of all, I am still ANGRY. I will never forget what has been done to us. I know that there is no comparison to what was done to the the Jewish people in WWII, but I plead with all of you who read this. NEVER FORGET!
Wow! Funny, I'm watching the exact same show right now.
It really brings you back to that Tuesday morning. Very important to remember.
Makes me understand how older folks have always spoke of remembering exactly what they were doing when Pres Kennedy was shot, or where they were when Pearl Harbor was attacked.
After this the show, the one coming on at the top of the hour is just as good.
Be sure to stay with it Pineedles.
sa meredith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 08:01 PM   #4
Redsoxlover

Default Never Forget

Thanks to the American Legion Commander Bob Kennelly and his late wife who started holding "A Day To Remember" to commemorate 9/11 so that we will never forget. If you have never attended I urge you to, they have speakers from Police, Fire, Politicians and family members of some of the victims. Very well done. My prayers go out to all the families who lost a loved one and those who are serving to keep us safe today. God Bless America.
Redsoxlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 06:22 AM   #5
Lakepilot

Default Moving video on 911

What a great tribute to all who were affected by 911.

http://attacked911.tripod.com/
Lakepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-12-2009, 07:43 AM   #6
Lakesrider

Thanked 1,016 Times in 345 Posts

I watched last night, and will watch the same show, or shows, year after year, so that I will never forget. Made me angry as well, but saddened even more. Not just for those of 9/11 but for the service men and women who will or have already given their lives for our freedom. There will always be evil in this world. I am just thankful for those folks who have taken up the cause to fight it. Last year I sent out 50 care packages to the troops. I intend to do the same at Christmas this year. I figure those people can use a few small things to brighten their day. Sunglasses, socks, toothpaste etc....Maybe the forum should have a care package gathering.
I fly my American Flag EVERY day, and will do so, as long as I am alive, or able to do so.
I hope everyone else does the same. I will always try to show those terrorist that we have the resolve that they cannot destroy. No matter how hard they try.
Lakesrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 10:55 AM   #7
GTO

Default mmmm,

[QUOTE=Lakesrider;105983]I ....Maybe the forum should have a care package gathering.{/quote]

maybe you're onto something here
Old 09-12-2009, 11:12 AM   #8
OFD232

Default Thoughts

Simply put I will never forget the day nor will I ever forgive those who planned and carried it out. Having been a Police officer for 30+ years I have seen a lot of evil and bad things but this exceeded even my limit for hard heartedness. I was past angry the day it happened and I watched it unfold. Too many brothers and sisters killed in the NY Police, Fire EMS,departments and too many of our citizens including young chidren murdered at the scene by these fanatics. We must never ever forget.

To this end I also give KUDO's and my utmost respect to my Son-in-law a staff Sgt currently serving in Iraq with the 10th Mountain Division. He deployed two weeks after the birth of his first son and my first grandchild.

Hoohah Corey, Stay safe and looking forward to having you home safe for Thanksgiving.

Thank you God for service men and women like him.

We must learn from this. History, despite its wrenching pain, cannot be unlived, but if faced with courage, need not be lived again--Maya Angelou

Stay safe all
Old 09-14-2009, 07:48 AM   #9
NoRegrets

Thank you all for the tribute to 911. One of our neighbors, David Kovalcin was on flight 11. He left behind a wife, 1 and 4 year old daughters, and a 2 chocolate labs. My wife used to walk with them daily. She left me the most chilling voice mail when she found out he was on the plane.
Hudson has a ceramony every year in tribute to the attack. The Fire, Police, and city officials pay tribute to the fallen and brave. This year only about 10 citizens were in attendance.

The president was noticablly absent from events that should have lasted for the entire week.

Here is a link to Davids legacy: http://www.legacy.com/Sept11/Story.aspx?PersonID=91838

OFD 232 - Thank your son in law for his service.
NoRegrets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 08:40 AM   #10
csuhockey3

Quote:
Originally Posted by OFD232 View Post
Simply put I will never forget the day nor will I ever forgive those who planned and carried it out.
Well said and I agree wholeheartedly. It could be the scariest day for many of us. My Dad (a retired AF Colonel) was a 767 Captain out of Newark and I know he had a trip that day. Fortunately he had yet to leave Manchester. It was all out horrifying because I couldn't tell what airline the planes were and couldn't call my Mom from here in CO back to NH to see where he was. Needless to say it was a very tense several hours until we got through. I know so many suffered so greatly and we were spared. I was just starting my sophomore year in college when a roommate woke me up just in time to see the second plane hit the tower, sickening...just sickening. Prayers for all of those who were there, who serve and protect and our armed forces. I have flown my flag outside every day it hasn't rained since then -- and will always. It helps me remember that feeling every morning when I put it out.
Old 09-14-2009, 09:54 AM   #11
Just Sold

I have to agree with Pine Needles. I certainly will never forget 9/11/01.

I was painting the trim on a house as a volunteer project when I recieved a cell call from my best friend that "Donny was on that flight" I did not know what he was talking about until I calmed him down and asked the home owner to turn his TV on. This was before the 2nd plane had crashed into the other tower and how my friend knew it was the plane Donny was on was not from the TV or radio? - he just knew as did Donny's mother. You see it was my friends brother-in-law, Donny (Donald Americo Ditullio) whom I also knew, and his girlfriend (Janis Lasden) that were on Flight 11 that day.

The rest of that day and for the weeks and months and to come the events of 9/11 and what followed were very close and never going away.

There is a very erie side to this tragedy in the letter and Last Will that the girlfriend had written the night before (It was left on her computer keyboard) as she had not wanted to take the flight and had also told her neighbor of her fear. The next day I also realized that I had been on Flight 11 the previous April on a trip to Lake Tahoe. It may well have been the same crew on 9/11 as on my flight a few months before.

9/11 will never leave my thoughts and prayers. I still display a decal on my car "We Shall Never Forget"

Related Article On Donny from 9/11/09: http://www.itemlive.com/articles/200...ews/news01.txt
Old 09-14-2009, 10:21 AM   #12
SIKSUKR

Default I hope everyone watched

Makes my blood boil when buildings and highways are named after politicians and not after the REAL heros like the rescuers that went into the towers and all the men and woman who have given the ultimate sacrifice in service to this country.
Maybe we should be nicer to them and they won't hate us so much!Give me a break!How soon they do forget.

I never will.
Old 09-14-2009, 10:39 AM   #13
Mr. V

So much of my recollection of the events of 9/11 is based on the images indelibly burned into my brain from watching them unfold, live, on TV.

Like most of you, I suspect, I watched events unfold on TV that morning; someone called and said "Turn on the TV!"

My god, the horror.

Bad as it was, the availability and quality of TV coverage of 9/11 made it much more immediate, personal and memorable, as opposed to reading an account in the paper.

I still wonder, though: when will the next shoe drop?
Mr. V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 10:39 AM   #14
Winni-Retired

Default Sept 11, 2001

One of the managers I worked with lost his niece on the AA flight out of Boston.

That day has influenced my life daily since then.

My son decided to seek an appointment to West Point or Annapolis because of that day. He had talked about ROTC, but that day cemented in him a stronger desire to serve and defend. He selected Annapolis and is now serving as a Lt in the USMC.

He will be deployed to Afaganistan in 2010. My son-in-law also a US Marine served four tours in Iraq from the intitial invasion to his last one ending in Nov 2008. He like my son will be going to Afaganistan, but a bit earlier in 2010

I agree. The men / woman that entered the buildings are the hero's not the people in DC that sent me to war in the 60's and my son / son-in-law in this decade.
Winni-Retired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 10:39 AM   #15
Irish mist

I have a friend who is a NYC policeman. On 9/11 he was driving home after a long shift, and seen the planes crash into the towers. He turned his car around, and raced to the scene. He met up with two officers he knew, and as they raced toward the towers one of the buildings fell, and he and one of the other officers was thrown in the air, and through a glass window of a store.

As they both got up, shocked to still be alive, they went looking for the third officer, a young women.....they found her dead, her body cut in half. My friend stayed at the towers all week helping out with the search. He still patrols NYC.

Last edited by Irish mist; 09-14-2009 at 09:46 PM.
Irish mist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 11:28 AM   #16
jmen24

The heros and citizens of that day should never be forgotten and I agree with SIKSUKR on tribute and memorial items going to the wrong people.

Having an oportunity to talk with a good friend of my BIL at a family gathering a few years ago put another view of this day in my mind. He is a fighter pilot flying out of Otis AFB, and for those that do not know they were deployed on that morning to defend the skies over New York City from any additional aircraft entering the airspace after the FAA ordered all aircraft to the ground, with the possibility that the order could come at any moment to take down a civilian aircraft over US soil.

The job that our service men and women do to protect our freedoms in a job that carries more weight than most of us will ever know. It is our duty to thank these folks for their sacrifice everyday.
jmen24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 01:11 PM   #17
webmaster

Thanked 3,697 Times in 820 Posts

I'm bending my rules to allow 9/11 tributes but please leave out the political rants (I just removed one). This is not the forum for that.

One of my first reactions after 9/11 was to get to the lake and get out on the water on 9/13. I'm not sure why except that I hoped it would comfort me. I remember looking around thinking that nothing would be the same ever again. I took some pictures (see link) of this new world and thought about the people at Ground Zero all day. We still didn't know the extent of the casualties so it was a very grim day.

Click here for a thread in the old forum where I posted some pictures and thoughts.
webmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 01:57 PM   #18
JMR

Default 911 Photos

I just got to the Forum and thought I would post these photos. Apparently some were just unclassified. I hope the powerpoint is not too big. Brings the day back very vividly.
JMR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 02:36 PM   #19
fpartri497

Default 09/11/01

On that day my wife and I where having breakfast at the old bay diner (my Fav) and saw on TV the second plane hit the tower. In the next horrifing minutes we left our breakfast on the table and headed real quick to the boat and headed out to wolfboro bay for comfort and we thought saftey and threw the anchor out over by the town beach and sat there listing to the radio. It was the sadest day In our lives.

Old 09-14-2009, 03:14 PM   #20
WinnDixie

Default Another grateful person

I also watched the 9-11 program this week. It was incredible, and we absolutely must never forget it! I am very grateful to all who've voiced the thanks and remembrance of our troops. I, also, have a loved one--a grandson , a West Point grad ,who is presently in Afghanistan. He's sent a few pictures home and what a desolate place it is! He and his wife will spend their first wedding anniversary apart. It is just one example of the many sacrifices he and all the others make for us. God bless and keep them all! BTW, I know they love to get those Crystal Light individual packs to "jazz up" the bottles of water; and also love phone calling cards to help them connect with home. He tells us packages from home are cherished and always shared by everyone.
WinnDixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 03:48 PM   #21
Pineedles

Quote:
Originally Posted by webmaster View Post
I'm bending my rules to allow 9/11 tributes but please leave out the political rants (I just removed one). This is not the forum for that.

One of my first reactions after 9/11 was to get to the lake and get out on the water on 9/13. I'm not sure why except that I hoped it would comfort me. I remember looking around thinking that nothing would be the same ever again. I took some pictures (see link) of this new world and thought about the people at Ground Zero all day. We still didn't know the extent of the casualties so it was a very grim day.

Click here for a thread in the old forum where I posted some pictures and thoughts.
Thanks Don, for bending the rules. I didn't intend this to be a political platform. As I had hoped, many Forum members have posted their individual stories and this is what keeps this day alive for all of us. Looking at the pictures you posted reminds me of how our life on the lake hasn't really changed that much since 911. We are lucky to have a place like this where we can remember those that we have lost, and honor those who serve to protect us today.
Pineedles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 05:29 PM   #22
csuhockey3

Quote:
Originally Posted by webmaster View Post
Thanks Don, we all appreciate that.