Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-02-2017, 12:30 AM   #1
Greene's Basin Girl

Default Greens Basin

Yesterday my sister and I took the Seadoo from Green's Basin to Lakeport and back. The gas in Paugus Bay was the least expensive at Lakeport Landing. Lake Winnipesaukee is certainly diverse. Green's Basin is so different from most of areas of the lake. The water is much calmer and the area is not commercialized at all.
Greene's Basin Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 04:42 AM   #2
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,147 Times in 894 Posts

Every five years or so I make the trip to Green's Basin with chart in hand. It seems like a totally different lake and I get the feeling I could be on a small pond in Maine, rather than on Winnipesaukee.

The size and different areas of Winnipesaukee are some of the many things that make it so attractive to so many people. The different feel of different parts of the lake make cruising it very enjoyable.
TiltonBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 05:29 AM   #3
Barney Bear

Default Different World

In the mid-sixties, we would cruise to Green's Basin for an overnight stay. We anchored our small (20') boat next to a small island at the entrance to the Basin. There were few residences in the area. When inside Green's Basin, no mountains were visible, and the area reminded us of the small lake where we would spend summers in southern Michigan. The northern side of the Basin was full of beautiful green reeds. Wonderful memories of this once-remote area of our fantastic lake. 🐻
Barney Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 06:38 AM   #4
webmaster

Thanked 3,697 Times in 820 Posts
Default Spelling?

I was looking into Greens Basin a little after seeing this thread. It's interesting that the spelling is so inconsistent. The thread was started by Greene's Basin Girl but then she mentions Green's Basin in several places. On Google Maps the basin is marked as Greens Basin but the road leading out to it is marked Greene's Basin Road. In past threads the basin is referred to as Greene's, Green's and Greens Basin. I've checked several maps and the basin itself is always marked as Greens. It appears that is the proper spelling. Does anyone know for sure?
Attached Images

webmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 07:22 AM   #5
rsmlp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greene's Basin Girl View Post
Yesterday my sister and I took the Seadoo from Green's Basin to Lakeport and back. The gas in Paugus Bay was the least expensive at Lakeport Landing. Lake Winnipesaukee is certainly diverse. Green's Basin is so different from most of areas of the lake. The water is much calmer and the area is not commercialized at all.
Wow, that's a long trip on a jetski. We own one but I really don't like using it much. Too uncomfortable for me on longer rides.
rsmlp is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-02-2017, 03:29 PM   #6
beantownbaby

I just got home from doing the same ride today. It was gorgeous and I love seeing so many different areas of the lake. The jet ski makes it a little easier to navigate the shallower areas I think. @barney Bear is the lake in Michigan you refer to Pawpaw? If so I am very familiar with that area. Beautiful!
beantownbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 03:32 PM   #7
DesertDweller

I have a realtor friend who refers to your section of the lake as the "Squam Lake" section of Winnipesaukee.
DesertDweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 03:43 PM   #8
Lakegeezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by webmaster View Post
I was looking into Greens Basin a little after seeing this thread. It's interesting that the spelling is so inconsistent. The thread was started by Greene's Basin Girl but then she mentions Green's Basin in several places. On Google Maps the basin is marked as Greens Basin but the road leading out to it is marked Greene's Basin Road. In past threads the basin is referred to as Greene's, Green's and Greens Basin. I've checked several maps and the basin itself is always marked as Greens. It appears that is the proper spelling. Does anyone know for sure?
The truth will be hard to come by. The story that I heard is that Mr. Green, lived in the basin to the east of what is now called Green's basin. The whole area was "Green's Basin" and at some point, it was renamed to mean just the western most basin. Lee's Pond and Lee's Mills are other places with the same ambiguous possessive issue.
Attached Images

Old 08-02-2017, 04:52 PM   #9
DougNH

I used to be on Greens Basin and now on Meredith bay. I certainly liked the mostly quite times but it took forever to get to the broads…
DougNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 05:07 PM   #10
Barney Bear

Default Whitmore Lake

In response to beantownbaby's question, the small lake in southern Michigan, is Whitmore Lake located about eleven miles north of Ann Arbor, my birthplace. My grandfather owned two cottages there. During World War II, we would spend the summer at the lake while my father was in the army. B-24 bombers were made at nearby Willow Run. I clearly remember being buzzed by a pilot swooping low overhead in this huge four-engined aircraft as we were out fishing. We could see him laughing as we cringed on the bottom of the boat. 😱
Barney Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 05:45 PM   #11
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,959 Times in 1,210 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougNH View Post
I used to be on Greens Basin and now on Meredith bay. I certainly liked the mostly quite times but it took forever to get to the broads…
I thought the same thing when we first bought in Hanson Cove, but we've come to appreciate being able to swim, kayak, etc. in peace even on the busiest days. While others avoid the lake on weekends, here in the north it's always a good time for boating!

Sent from my XT1528 using Tapatalk
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 06:08 PM   #12
phoenix

A few boats moor up on weekends to relax and swim.
Old 08-02-2017, 06:46 PM   #13
Woody38

Having grown up in Toledo, Ohio, Michigan is a stone throw away. Spent more time on Lake Erie fishing for perch. I didn't know much about the lakes in Michigan although I visited a few on camps. Also known for going to visit the fairer sex, especially nurses.

I am a retired workaholic and continuing aquaholic.
Woody38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 06:49 PM   #14
LFOD

Curious if Green family on Long Island (where Windemere & Land's End are today) are related to the family named after Green's Basin?
LFOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 07:17 PM   #15
wifi

AAAhhh, good question, to the point. There was a Dr Gardner Greene, that was the one on Long Island, and Laconia (At the top of Parade Road), lots of history. I ended up with dealings with him and his family on real estate deals and own some of his previous properties. Back in the day, he owned lots of property in the area. Unfortunately, I don't know, personally, if he is the one involved in Green(e)'s basin. I'm certainly welcome for someone, personallyin the know, with a history lesson.
wifi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 09:23 AM   #16
Sue Doe-Nym

Default Greens Basin

My 1954 USGS topography map shows it as Greens Basin. Interesting that the plural for the name is used rather than the possessive spelling. Such a distinction between plural and possessive is rarely seen today.
Sue Doe-Nym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 10:34 AM   #17
camp guy

Default Greens Basin

In April of 2001, there was an article in the Manchester Union Leader discussing the effort by the Lakes Region Conservation Trust to raise money to purchase the island at the inner-most end of Greens Basin, then called Blanchard Island. In the article, the reporter, Carol Carter, mentions a Rev. Frank E. Greene, a resident of Moultonborough Neck, still living in a cottage built by his uncle in 1908. From this cottage Greene remembers seeing boys from Camp Wyanoke in Wolfeboro using the island for overnight camping. My family owned and operated Camp Wyanoke and we owned the island, too, then named by us as "Wyanisle" (a conjunction of Wyanoke & island).

My purpose for writing this is to show that the name "Greene" has been associated with that part of the Lake for a long, long time. Although this may not definitively name the basin as Greene's Basin, it does add light to the subject.
camp guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 11:33 AM   #18
fatlazyless

www.currentobituary.com/member/obit/191901 ..... 99-years! ....how the heck did he do that? ...... 99 is extremely old for a man!.... wonder if he drank the water straight out of the lake, or did the lug-a-jug routine with drinkable/cookable water from the store or the town? And, did he use a row boat, or a motor boat to get back and forth from mainland to island? Maybe he swam the distance???
Old 08-03-2017, 12:29 PM   #19
camp guy

Default Greens Basin

Thanks, FLL, for the update. The Forum can always be counted on for good information.
camp guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 01:48 PM   #20
Biggd

Thanked 1,068 Times in 673 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post
www.currentobituary.com/member/obit/191901 ..... 99-years! ....how the heck did he do that? ...... 99 is extremely old for a man!.... wonder if he drank the water straight out of the lake, or did the lug-a-jug routine with drinkable/cookable water from the store or the town? And, did he use a row boat, or a motor boat to get back and forth from mainland to island? Maybe he swam the distance???
I'll bet he didn't eat at McDonalds.
Biggd is offline   Reply With Quote