Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Home, Cottage or Land Maintenance
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-06-2017, 11:00 AM   #1
CaptT820

Default Crank up Dock Options

Has anyone ever investigated how one could turn a stationary dock into a tilt up/crank up dock? I realized last year how much of a pain it is to take out an island dock in November. My wife and I maximize the season from April to November which makes for some chilly install/removal procedures.

I know that the tilt up docks are typically truss frame construction, so I was thinking that to make a stationary into a tilt up that you would have to install some sort of gusset style plate across the sections for bracing (similar to how a girder style bridge is strengthened).

I contacted FWM (the manufacturer of our dock) and they are looking into whether or not something could be fabricated. I would love to know if anyone has accomplished this or thought about doing this in the past.

Thanks
CaptT820 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 01:30 PM   #2
MAXUM

Thanked 1,942 Times in 802 Posts

What is the construction of your current dock?
MAXUM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 01:53 PM   #3
Biggd

Thanked 1,070 Times in 675 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAXUM View Post
What is the construction of your current dock?
FMW make aluminum docks.
Biggd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 08:27 AM   #4
sluggo

I have Three 6 ft x 40 ft used aluminum crank up docks that I took in on trade if your interested. Looking for a couple thousand each...
sluggo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 09:21 AM   #5
Dave M

Default permits

You will have to apply for town/state permits to put lift dock in since you'll have to put a base down(hinge point) and especially if its bigger than the one you have. Also will probably be taxed for the lift dock. I converted my wooden sectional to lift dock after 40 years of putting in/out. Took months to get everything done.

Dave M
Dave M is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dave M For This Useful Post:
CaptT820 (03-07-2017)
Sponsored Links
Old 03-07-2017, 11:10 AM   #6
CaptT820

Default Dock Construction

The current construction of the dock is two 10'x4' sections with posts on the outer end and at the middle with cross bracing. We set the inland section of dock on a piece of angle iron that is bolted into one of our many shoreline boulders.

Sluggo-Do you know the manufacturer of the crank up docks that you have?

Dave M- Do we need a permit for the anchor point, if it is a natural object (boulder) and does not require concrete to be poured or placed? I am not sure if they tax crank up docks in Alton where we are. Ill have to look into that. I would ask my neighbors, but they all have permanent wood crib docks.

We have the remnants of an old crib style wood dock at the shoreline, but we are not grandfathered to use it according to DES because it has not been permitted in the last five years.
Old 03-07-2017, 01:56 PM   #7
codeman671

Why not just do a Permit by Notification and install a single 6x40'? No crazy permitting/wait time required.

http://www.des.nh.gov/organization/d.../project-1.pdf

I could be wrong, but I do not recall a separate permit process being needed to install a base point on shore. Watermark does tons of these yearly.
codeman671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 02:31 PM   #8
Descant

Thanked 1,509 Times in 982 Posts
Default Who owns the boulder?

From CaptT820: Do we need a permit for the anchor point, if it is a natural object (boulder) and does not require concrete to be poured or placed?"
Interesting question. I suspect the answer is another question: Is the boulder fully yours, i.e. above the high water mark, or is it partially in the water?

What's the cost analysis?
You have to buy a new dock, and (pay?) to dispose of the old one.
A crank up is considered taxable (probably not much. Does it affect the total value of the property?)
Permit efforts and fees?
Will you have to barge the new dock to your site?

Temporary seasonal dock is usually not taxed and you already own it.

There are lots of folks who will install and remove your dock seasonally. Probably cheaper than you think. Always nice to have an ongoing relationship with somebody to do various projects that require a professional or special equipment/tools. (Insert plug for Island Support Services here. 293-HELP).
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 03:13 PM   #9
Winni_Bay

Default docks 40ft

sluggo
i would like more info on your used docks
i will send u a pm
Winni_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 04:05 PM   #10
sluggo

Capt. We custom build our docks here in our shop, Center Harbor Dock & Pier ... If you attach a steel header to existing shoreline stone to support the dock no permit is needed for that application. If you pour a cement pad you will need to file a PBN. if you want to remove the existing crib dock even though it is abandoned ( five year rule ) you will need to file PBN . If everything meets wetland rule and this would be the only dock on the property and you have a minimum 75 FT. of frontage a seasonal dock notification is all that's needed for permitting and that does not cost any money. Good thing to remember the only dock you can get a binder attached to you home owners insurance is a crank up dock and they will cover it for wind , tree and in some cases ice damage.
sluggo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sluggo For This Useful Post:
CaptT820 (03-07-2017), Descant (03-07-2017), JTA (03-10-2017)
Old 03-08-2017, 08:07 AM   #11
CaptT820

Default PBN Process

I am very aware of the required PBN process to remove the old crib dock. If anyone else runs into this situation and needs to perform this, please let me know as I would be happy to help. Very lengthy and exhaustive process to remove a man-made object and return the shoreline to its original natural condition. This is definitely one of those things that the DES should have an exception to the rule on and streamline the paperwork a lot more.

I am aware that there are people and services to remove the dock in the fall and replace in the spring, I was just looking for a more convienient way for us to do it ourselves since we extend the season to the maximum on an island. Last year our season was April 7 to November 16. We found out that our favorite months at the island were April and late October due to the absolute calm and complete lack of neighbors.
Old 03-08-2017, 12:56 PM   #12
MAXUM

Thanked 1,942 Times in 802 Posts

I have a typical wood dock that has to be assembled/disassembled every year. You can have somebody do it for you... but it ain't cheap. Last quote I got was 1K per season in and out. I decided that for a few hours of my time 2-3 in and about 1-2 hours out and 200.00 worth of wetsuit I'd do it myself.

That said being a rather young buck it's OK for now but eventually I'll replace that with a crankup, I don't think I will be so willing 20 or 30 years from now!

2K for a used crank up is a pretty good deal.
MAXUM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 09:26 PM   #13
JoeR3155

Something that might be an alternative. We put in a dock from Pier of d'Nort last year. Once it's set up, it can be installed and removed without getting in the water. I'm no expert but I'm impressed with quality of construction.
JoeR3155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 07:58 AM   #14
feb

Default Pier of d'Nort

Do you have a boat lift or do you tie directly to your dock? Or maybe are in calmer waters?

It seems this Pier of d'Nort approach which looks very interesting sits directly on the lake bottom and not anchored into the ground so tying a boat to this type of dock in a windy or wavy environment might move the dock.
feb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 06:21 AM   #15
CaptT820

Default Dock Situation

Feb-
We are in a relatively wavy area. I was just looking for options on converting my existing dock to a crank up style dock, not replacing it altogether.

I have also thought of building my own davit style crane that I could use to take the dock sections in and out every year. This may prove to be the more cost effective option in the long run.
Old 03-21-2017, 10:01 PM   #16
Greene's Basin Girl

I recommend Raise A Dock out of Wakefield NH. Dennis is great and we love our dock.
Greene's Basin Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 02:39 AM   #17
ApS

Arrow "Hybrid" Dock...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptT820 View Post
Feb-
We are in a relatively wavy area. I was just looking for options on converting my existing dock to a crank up style dock, not replacing it altogether. I have also thought of building my own davit style crane that I could use to take the dock sections in and out every year. This may prove to be the more cost effective option in the long run.
Even without bubblers, two 10" pilings driven-in close to shore will be rarely affected by winter's ice. (The lake is drawn down, and the thickest winter ice doesn't reach close to shore). However, your present middle "posts" are probably NOT strong enough to support the following thought. (But here it goes)...

Start the tilt-up part anchored in the middle. The lifted span will be shorter and there'll be fewer panels to lift out. Those panels can be lag-bolted to (and stored) on the first section.

To keep it out of winter's strongest winds, the tilt-up can be pulled over-center, and supported by 2x4s. That'll keep the tilt-up section protected from winds that torture—and break—one's boulder- or concrete- anchoring points and supporting tree(s).

One example:

https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums...0&postcount=25

Now I'm wondering how IslandRadio and TiltonBB have "weathered" their new docks.

https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums...Hybrid%22+Dock

Last edited by ApS; 03-22-2017 at 02:53 AM. Reason: Add picture and link...
ApS is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ApS For This Useful Post:
CaptT820 (03-24-2017)