Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Home, Cottage or Land Maintenance
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-26-2004, 05:40 AM   #1
Newbiesaukee

Default bats in bedroom

Not quite as funny as it sounds. How can I "redirect" a bat who has decided to visit the guest bedroom?
Newbiesaukee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2004, 06:38 AM   #2
Outlaw

Default Your guest is batty????

Bats do not usually want to be in your house with you. Once you set it free, it is very unlikely it will return to take up residency. If that is a concern, placing a bat house high up in a pine tree (usually a dark sheltered area on the north or east side of the property) will help.

To get the bat out, well first you have to find it, (best done at night when they are awake). Open the window from the top (if this is possible) they will tend to circle the top of a room when flying. A fish net works good to catch and then gently release the bat outdoors. Shining a flashlight directly on them will momentarily immobilize them to accomplish the netting of it. Wear work gloves in case you need to free it from the fish net. If you are squeamish about this approach, you can gently guide the bat toward the window by holding a broom up behind it a foot or so as it fly’s (assuming it is in motion) and guide it to the exit.

In many states bats are a protected species, so be gentle.

Good Luck !
Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2004, 07:48 AM   #3
madrasahs

Default Don't use a "landing net"!

I'd be curious how the bat got inside in the first place. Flew in? At night?

Chances are, it spent the day in a cozy roof niche, and just fell inside instead of outside!

We caulked all our niches, but received squeaks of protest at one site. As the "man of the house", I had to extricate the critter, and remove the tarry caulk from his wings before he could fly off.

Once, I used a landing net (for fish), and freeing the bat (who has more "corners" than you can imagine) took an hour. Bats have small white teeth, and will try to nibble through the netting while you loosen one wing -- while the other wing gets re-tangled. Maybe I should have propped the net up-side-down over the balcony and walked away, but I'd use a fine-mesh aquarium fish net as suggested.

BTW, Chipmunks (if they happen to follow the person with the birdseedsinside ) will also find their way out if you prop open a window and screen. (And wait a while).
madrasahs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2004, 06:35 PM   #4
Newbiesaukee

I went searching but the bat seems to have left. Not knowing how it got in ( or out) is a little disconcerting but at least I'll be ready. Thanks for the advice.
Newbiesaukee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2004, 11:22 PM   #5
Outlaw

I always found it best to believe they got out, otherwise I would never have slept. In the future if you find them in a room that has a door, close the door so they are confined to just that room, and without doubt close any closet doors (wouldn't want to be picking out a shirt tomorrow morning just to find Dracula hanging from your shoulder). Shining a flashlight directly on them 'definitely' works - it immobilizes them.

Good luck with the batty house guests !
Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links