Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Home, Cottage or Land Maintenance
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 07-06-2005, 05:53 PM   #1
upnorth

Default Clogged Water Filter

We've been having some problems with our house-wide water filter clogging with sand that is being picked up from the pump in our artesian well. While the filter is doing its job preventing the sand and silt from going through the plumbing, we are finding that we need to replace the filter cartridge too often (the result is low water volume and so we notice the clogged filter that way).

We had our plumber out to take a look and he is recommending a sand separator.

Any one have any comments on this device and its use/effectiveness?
upnorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2005, 09:43 PM   #2
T.H.E. Binz

Default Water Filter

How often are you replacing it? I use a 5-micron filter cartridge that requires replacement every other month. Even monthly cartridge changes would be less expensive than changing your entire water system. If you are using a 5-micron filter, you could try a 10-micron or 20-micron filter to see whether the filtration is still adequate. Alternately, could you just install a larger capacity cartridge?
T.H.E. Binz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2005, 11:04 AM   #3
RLW

Thumbs up Sand in domestic well water

If this condition were happening to me the first thing I would be concern with is the pump. Sand will do great damage to it. My suggestion would be to contact a well rep. and see if the pump is to low in the well as sand does not usually come through the water vains but from the bottom of the well as it settles to that point. As I stated above that this is only a suggestion as by know means am I a proffesional well person.
Good luck
Old 07-08-2005, 02:00 PM   #4
upnorth

Thanks,

We had a 20 micron filter that seemed to clog pretty fast (installed early May and replaced last week, with only weekend use). I replaced it with a 5 micron filter and we had two families here all week and, so far, seems ok.

So, rather than jump the gun and put in the separator, I'm going to experiment with a few different filter sizes (namely, balancing the filtering quality against the need to change it every other week).

I too thought that the pump was too low in the well and I intially called the plumber (who works with wells also) to ask for their advice in that regard.

I'm going to do more research/experiment and I'll let you know what I learn. And I agree, I should do what it takes to protect the pump -- it may be the spearator after all.
upnorth is offline   Reply With Quote