Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 02-16-2012, 03:24 AM   #1
The Hairy Beast

Default Winni Derby 2012 Pink Rainbow Preview (video)

We had our usual blowout in Moultonborough last weekend, I am still sorting pictures but I have one vid and a few pics ready, so I thought I'd put up a few.

This is a rainbow caught by a young lady in our group. When we got the trout on the ice it disgorged several tablespons of pink powerbait goo, which probably explains its odd color: it's bright PINK!

I won $100 in one of the drawings and also got a bit of a shock when I picked it up. There were a pile of NH Fish & Game freshwater digests at the window over at the Board, and as I waited for the moo-lah I thumbed through one.

Now, last year I'd taken a nice shot of a laker caught by my buddy Craig that won 2nd place:

Imagine my shock when, on page 32 of the digest I saw this:

And later when I got home I logged into the F&G website and what did I see:

So I called F&G and asked them how they got my pic and they said I'd submitted it to a fish pic contest last summer in the Union Leader and they decided to use it! Coolness...
The Hairy Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to The Hairy Beast For This Useful Post:
bclaker (02-16-2012), DRH (02-16-2012), Rattlesnake Gal (02-17-2012), Senter Cove Guy (02-16-2012), trfour (02-16-2012), webmaster (02-16-2012), Winnisquamguy (02-16-2012)
Old 02-16-2012, 08:20 AM   #2
hilltopper

Default It's a great pic...

Yeah, I saw that picture on the F&G web site and recognized it immediately from your derby post last year. I was going to point it out to you in a post but I figured you already knew about it.
hilltopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 08:29 AM   #3
AC2717

your picture was also up in NOrth Conway in something else as well. I cannot remember where, I think it was the Washington Valley Book
Old 02-16-2012, 10:57 AM   #4
SIKSUKR

You probably don't mind but they used your photo without your knowledge or permission?
Old 02-16-2012, 11:29 AM   #5
The Hairy Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilltopper View Post
Yeah, I saw that picture on the F&G web site and recognized it immediately from your derby post last year. I was going to point it out to you in a post but I figured you already knew about it.
I didn't know until last friday night when I showed up to my friend's place in Moultonborough. My buddies were gathered around a fire pit they build every year and when I came over, Craig (the guy in the orange hat in the pic) said "Hey, here's the guy that made us famous!"

I didn't know what they were talking about so they explained that the pic was popping up all over the place. if anybody else sees it, I'd appreciate a heads-up.
Sponsored Links
Old 02-16-2012, 11:41 AM   #6
The Hairy Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC2717 View Post
your picture was also up in NOrth Conway in something else as well. I cannot remember where, I think it was the Washington Valley Book
You mean like those brochures they stack in bins at rest stops? geez, I wonder where else its gotten to?
Old 02-16-2012, 11:45 AM   #7
The Hairy Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIKSUKR View Post
You probably don't mind but they used your photo without your knowledge or permission?
Well I asked F&G about it on tuesday, via Facebook. here's what they said:
NH Fish and Game: Hi Beast - That photo was submitted to an online photo contest that Union Leader held last summer.

Me: Oh, okay I was wondering how you found it. It was a bit of a shock to suddenly see it all over the place. Well, you guys are welcome to use it - I'm flattered, actually. BTW I got some good ones of the 2012 Derby as well.

NH Fish and Game: Anyway - it would have been nice of us to try to find you and inform you of the picture's use, and for that oversight, I apologize. The rules of the contest gave us permission to use the image as desired. There was no contact info associated with the images. Again, sorry. I should say - THANKS - it's one of our favorite shots! smile.gif
So apparently last summer the Union Leader held a fish picture contest on behalf of F&G and the winner would be puiblished in the new 2012 brochure. I submitted one then promptly forgot about it. They say there was no contact info but I remember putting up an email on the form. But yes, to enter I had to agree to free use, and they're making heap plenty free use, all right.
Old 02-16-2012, 11:56 AM   #8
AC2717

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hairy Beast View Post
You mean like those brochures they stack in bins at rest stops? geez, I wonder where else its gotten to?
yes one in there, but this book i remeber was a 2011-2012 hard cover Mt Washington Valley information book
Old 02-16-2012, 12:09 PM   #9
The Hairy Beast

Quote:
yes one in there, but this book i remeber was a 2011-2012 hard cover Mt Washington Valley information book
Hmmm...maybe the Chamber Of Commerce
Old 02-16-2012, 12:20 PM   #10
AC2717

good guess, that is where I would guess it came from

SO there you go, you are Famous!!! Now wish you were getting paid for it though
Old 02-16-2012, 12:33 PM   #11
The Hairy Beast

Quote:
good guess, that is where I would guess it came from

SO there you go, you are Famous!!! Now wish you were getting paid for it though
I have mixed feelings. I'm really pleased that out of hundreds of photos submitted to the Union Leader, F&G chose mine, and others liked it enough to publish it - in PRINT - no less, not just cut and paste online. And it raised my stock in the fishing group 1000%. Now they all want me to come to their events.

But I'm a little bit irked too because my image and my friends are all around the state and neither them nor I have any say. The Meredith Derby people asked me for permission to use that shot and I gave it willingly, they did it the classy way. I'm also positive I put contact info on that shot - at least an email.