Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 06-30-2013, 08:51 AM   #1
sea_n_ski

Default Children are not welcome at the Meredith Public Library?

The Meredith Pubic library will not give my daughter a library card, even though we own property in Meredith and pay taxes. .

We have owned a second home in Meredith since 1998. When our children were young, we got them all Library Cards to the Meredith Public Library. My youngest daughter loves the library. She just graduated HS and even got a college scholarship from our town library in So. NH where we live. She is spending the summer with her other sisters waitressing and saving up to fulfill her live long dream of becoming a doctor. My daughter has a sever case of crones and so far drs have been unable to find a cure.

So my daughter goes into the library and asks for a card to take out books. They ask her if she is a full time resident. She say no, but we own a home on Meredith neck. Just up for the summer. They ask her if she is the one that actually pays the taxes. Like an 18 year old girl pays the $12K we pay in taxes. She says no, my father pays the taxes.

They tell her she doesn't qualify to get a Library Card. The said I could get one because I actually pay the taxes, but not her. How ridiculous is that? As part time lake owners we pay a ton in taxes and don't use most of the town services. They don't even plow our road or pick up our trash. Talk about discrimination. If it wasn't for all of us part time residents, could you image what their taxes would be like? If they are not going to let us use town services, we should get a lower tax rate.

I told her to go back into the library and ask for the head librarian and demand a card.
Old 06-30-2013, 09:16 AM   #2
Lakegeezer

While I hope your daughter convinces the library to give her a card, look at the title of your posting. At 18, in NH, your daughter is considered an adult. True, it is 21 to drink and 26 to be kicked off your insurance, but apparently at the library it is 18. I would hope that children are indeed welcome there.

Perhaps you can charge her a dollar rent for the summer, then she can move her residence to Meredith and say that she is a full-time renter.
Old 06-30-2013, 09:33 AM   #3
fatlazyless

www.meredithlibrary.org which is a separate website from the www.meredithnh.org ... ( no link to the library?): At ten dollars per year for a library card that's still a super deal at a super-duper library and best to just pay it and forgetaboutit. If you is already paying out 12,000-plus dollars in annual property taxes then 10-dollars is like nothing.

In case u did not know, the Meredith Library is air conditioned & heated, has good quality, clean public toilets with hot water; eight good quality, free-to-anyone, internet connected personal computers all on one large divided table, connected with a 20-cent/page b&w printer; intelligent, polite, & helpful library staff; and daily free-to-read, local newspapers like the Union Leader, Concord Monitor, Laconia Citizen, & Meredith News plus a lot of books, periodicals and dvd's. At one dollar price, is the Union Leader or Concord Monitor really worth it? At 50-cents is the Citizen worth it? For free, the LaDaSun is worth it!

What they do not have is the daily Wall St Journal, N Y Times or the weekly Value Line Investors Survey (about $600/year subscription) ...... omg For the Value Line, you need to go to the super elite, richy-rich neighbor City of Laconia and their Gale Library which is the absolute best thing in Laconia: www.LaconiaLibrary.org

Question for anyone who knows: Do the five Meredith town selectmen get town health insurance coverage, and if they do, then how much is that worth?

Last edited by fatlazyless; 06-30-2013 at 10:19 AM.
Old 06-30-2013, 06:40 PM   #4
sea_n_ski

Default Thank you

I guess my youngest will always be my little girl and I think of her as a child. Even though she is growing up.

The Meredith Library is a wonderful place, which is why my daughter wants to enjoy it. It's not the $10 ( didn't know that was an option), its that property owners who don't live here year round are treated like second class citizens. Even though we pay the same tax rate and hardly use the services. My daughter should have equal rights with everyone else in town. We are not allowed to speak at town meetings.

It will be interesting when she returns next week.
The Following User Says Thank You to sea_n_ski For This Useful Post:
Charlie T (06-30-2013)
Old 06-30-2013, 07:41 PM   #5
Charlie T

Default It's all been said

Quote:
Originally Posted by sea_n_ski View Post
its that property owners who don't live here year round are treated like second class citizens. Even though we pay the same tax rate and hardly use the services. My daughter should have equal rights with everyone else in town. We are not allowed to speak at town meetings.
Unfortunately it's been debated to death, We ARE second class citizens and it will never change because those with the power to change it are the same people who make and enforce the current unfair rules. It's the same sad story in Washington .. Wasn't there once a revolution based upon "taxation without representation"
The Following User Says Thank You to Charlie T For This Useful Post:
goldengirl (06-30-2013)
Sponsored Links
Old 06-30-2013, 07:52 PM   #6
tbonies

Pay $10 and move on. Life is short.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tbonies For This Useful Post:
AKADQ (06-30-2013), Irish mist (07-03-2013), Natt (07-26-2013)
Old 06-30-2013, 09:20 PM   #7
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default from their website...

Who can get a card: Residents and non residents of Meredith!!!!

Read it here: http://www.meredithlibrary.org/uploa...ibrarycard.pdf
Moccasin (07-01-2013)
Old 06-30-2013, 09:21 PM   #8
tummyman

From the Library minutes, it appears ALL non-resident fees collected amounted to $2800. And the Library Trustees have almost $800,000 in their invested funds. It appears non-resident fees ($10 ea.) end up in their petty cash to supplement budgets. As usual, the Trustees have found a way to generate revenue to support non budget items. It is disgusting how they prey on non-residents and do not care. Time for a group of people to attend one of their meetings and give them an earful. Get 20 people to complain at one of their meetings and have it covered by the press and maybe you can get their attention. If people just sit back, they will continue to prey on young adults and non residents.
Old 06-30-2013, 09:23 PM   #9
tummyman

The $2800 figure above was for all of 2012 as I read their reports on the Trustees web site....280 people got fleeced.
Old 06-30-2013, 09:25 PM   #10
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default from their website:

Here's who can get a card: Residents and non residents..

http://www.meredithlibrary.org/uploa...ibrarycard.pdf

Still won't give her a card...then get the family card:

from their website also....

http://www.meredithlibrary.org/uploa...familycard.pdf

worth a try.
Old 06-30-2013, 10:44 PM   #11
Bear Islander

Anyone can pay the taxes on a property. It does not have to be the owner. She could go to the town hall and pay an amount towards the taxes and get a receipt with her name on it. Then she is a Meredith tax payer.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bear Islander For This Useful Post:
LIforrelaxin (07-01-2013)
Old 07-01-2013, 03:04 AM   #12
wifi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear Islander View Post
Anyone can pay the taxes on a property. It does not have to be the owner. She could go to the town hall and pay an amount towards the taxes and get a receipt with her name on it. Then she is a Meredith tax payer.
The 12G's might help offset her income taxes too
Old 07-01-2013, 06:59 AM   #13
songkrai

Quote:
Very good suggestion. Thanks.

Have you daughter claim her residency in Meredith. In the good ole US of A one can claim residency anywhere. And she could move anywhere the next day if she wished.
Old 07-01-2013, 08:05 AM   #14
AC2717

i thk the principle here is what is ridiculous, i would not pay the $10 just because of this stupid person at the front counter, not to mention $10 to an 18 year old is a hour or more of work, to purchase a library card.

you love this i vote at our town library. I walked so I did not have proof of residency with me at the time, when I went into vote I gave them my name and address, then right after that I went to get a library card. The lady did not give me one because I could not prove residency??

Harder rules to get a library Card, then to vote
Old 07-01-2013, 08:15 AM   #15
fatlazyless

Default ...a bargain at twice or ten times the price!

......that library does a lot of good for a lot of different people in the area....please allow me to donate ten dollars for you....it's great the library is what it is...the eight computers all on one table with dividers gets an unbelievable amount of use by a lot of different people...and it obviously needs money to keep that place air-conditioned, heated, insured, clean, user-friendly, totally open to the public on a walk-in basis, and well staffed by a high quality library staff...

...suggest you just pay the ten dollars which is a bargain and appreciate the people who make the library what it is!

...if you really want to lower your $12,000/yr property taxes then maybe try raising the deductibles for the cadillac health plans that go with working for the school, police and town as a place to start! ...maybe restructure those Cadillacs into a Ford style health plan! With the property tax, the totally uninsured are paying for the town's cadillac health coverage!

Last edited by fatlazyless; 07-01-2013 at 10:01 PM.
Old 07-01-2013, 09:51 AM   #16
P-3 Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by songkrai View Post
In the good ole US of A one can claim residency anywhere.
You can "claim" anything you want, but that doesn't make it so. In order to actually be a legal resident of someplace, there has to be a set of facts that tie you to that place. And you can be a legal resident of only one place at a time.
Old 07-01-2013, 01:52 PM   #17
sea_n_ski

Default Great Ideas - One Problem

The problem here isn't the $10. It's worth it. I like the library and when the girls were small, they all got library cards. It's the fact that they take our tax dollars and treat us like second class citizens. I would love to go to a town meeting and voice my opinion the like rest of the citizens, but I cannot. Only full time residents can speak at public meetings.

Where would all of these lake towns be without us? You would think they would throw us a bone every once in a while. A good example is Meredith Neck Rd, where a lot of seasonal residents have homes. That road is falling apart. I called the town a few months back and they said they have no plans to fix it. We can't even bring it up at a town meeting. At least they could give us a decent road to to get to our homes (they should pave it with gold thanking us) . Nope, the $$$ all goes towards resident goodies. Seasonal residents don't matter.
Old 07-01-2013, 01:56 PM   #18
jeffk

The policy seems to state that non resident taxpayers can receive a free library card. It would seem reasonable that anyone in a taxpaying household should be able to receive a card? For example that the spouses of such a household, the actual taxpayers, could get cards but their children from the same household could not seems absurd. Is this just a misunderstanding, that the daughter needs to present proof, like her father's paid tax bill, to get a card? Or are the people at the library this petty, that the father could get a card but his child could not?

The policy itself sounds reasonable. The interpretation of the policy may not be.
The Following User Says Thank You to jeffk For This Useful Post:
Pontoon Goon (07-02-2013)
Old 07-01-2013, 01:58 PM   #19
jetlag100

Couldn't help myself, but it was said, "so what's $10?" Well, it's now $12,010.00. That should be plenty, to get a library card!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jetlag100 For This Useful Post:
Charlie T (07-01-2013), Pontoon Goon (07-02-2013)
Old 07-01-2013, 06:47 PM   #20
secondcurve

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffk View Post
The policy seems to state that non resident taxpayers can receive a free library card. It would seem reasonable that anyone in a taxpaying household should be able to receive a card? For example that the spouses of such a household, the actual taxpayers, could get cards but their children from the same household could not seems absurd. Is this just a misunderstanding, that the daughter needs to present proof, like her father's paid tax bill, to get a card? Or are the people at the library this petty, that the father could get a card but his child could not?

The policy itself sounds reasonable. The interpretation of the policy may not be.
The problem lies with the librarian who refused to give the young lady a library card. There are countless uneducated people in this world who suck our system dry and here we have a young adult from a tax paying family who wants the right to borrow books and educate herself and the librarian turns the girl away. You can't make this stuff up! If I were working as a librarian and a young kid came looking for a library card I certainly wouldn't be turning them away. After all, how many young adults are seeking library cards these days? The answer is clear. Not nearly enough!!!!!!
The Following User Says Thank You to secondcurve For This Useful Post:
modio (07-25-2013)
Old 07-01-2013, 07:15 PM   #21
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts
Default Gilford Public Library

The library is kid friendly. Lots of activities downstairs. Paul Warnick has a music session with the kids!
Old 07-01-2013, 08:24 PM   #22
jmen24

Default Wow!

This thread is staggering!

So the library card is no longer free because she is an adult. She is being treated the same as any NH resident that wishes to have a library card in a town in which they do not reside. She does not own a residence in Meredith (it makes no difference if it is waterfront or not or what the tax bill is). So it is time to start acting like an adult and not have a parent fight a battle for you on a public forum. If you want free, google is your game or you can get your books in digital form and see what that costs at the end of the year!

I think you missed the opportunity at a solid teaching moment in your childs life. Instead you decided to teach the lesson that kicking and screaming on the floor is how you hope to get your way! Good luck with that.

Call it principal, call it whatever you want, in the end it is someone claiming to be more important than they need to be. Enjoy what you have worked for and pay the 10 bucks, if you don't want that piece of pie, there are 10 people behind you that would die for the chance to give their family half the opportunity that you have probably been blessed to give yours!

Life is too short!

Attack away, but this rant is rediculous!
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to jmen24 For This Useful Post:
gillygirl (07-02-2013), Jmo77011 (08-04-2013), Lakesrider (07-02-2013), Merrymeeting (07-02-2013), Natt (07-26-2013), patman (07-02-2013), tricia1218 (07-02-2013), wifi (07-01-2013)
Old 07-01-2013, 09:23 PM   #23
flatlander02138

Default Eye opening

Some Lakes Residents are pretty open about the desire to take your taxes but not be kind
Old 07-01-2013, 09:53 PM   #24
fatlazyless

Quote:

A good example is Meredith Neck Rd, where a lot of seasonal residents have homes. That road is falling apart. I called the town a few months back and they said they have no plans to fix it. We can't even bring it up at a town meeting. At least they could give us a decent road to to get to our homes (they should pave it with gold thanking us) . Nope, the $$$ all goes towards resident goodies. Seasonal residents don't matter.
....yes, the Meredith Neck Rd, an approximately six mile long road as well as Barnard Ridge Rd, about one mile long, are both in tough shape what with numerous and multiple pavement cracks, dips, missing asphalt ... etc. Both of these roads do not belong to the town, but belong to the State of New Hampshire so it is up to the http://www.nh.gov/dot/org/commission...-nh-future.pdf (takes a while to appear)to repair and repave it. They are considered to be un-numbered state roads, and NH has about 800-miles of un-numbered state roads throughout the state. In about 2011, the Republican dominated house and senate lowered the annual automobile registration fee to the state by about $40/vehicle and now the DOT does not have enough to fix all the roads, and un-numbered state roads are at the bottom of the list, or something like that.

...hey....seriously....the library building is in need of a lot of repair structural work and there's probably not enough money to pay for it at this time...

Last edited by fatlazyless; 07-01-2013 at 10:33 PM.
Old 07-01-2013, 10:13 PM   #25
hig

As a brit, and it being so close to Independence Day, I find it amusing that non-residents are suffering in the same way as the original colonists did. (Actually, kind of treatment is the norm for us resident aliens).

Why does it matter if I am a permanent resident or not? If you give me a 50% discount on my taxes because I won't do the winter, I will accept the 50% reduction in services. If I pay the same as the permanent residents, I expect the same services.

Otherwise, I may have to throw your tea into the lake
The Following User Says Thank You to hig For This Useful Post:
BroadHopper (07-02-2013)
Old 07-02-2013, 06:05 AM   #26
songkrai

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMI Guy View Post
You can "claim" anything you want, but that doesn't make it so. In order to actually be a legal resident of someplace, there has to be a set of facts that tie you to that place. And you can be a legal resident of only one place at a time.
OK. State them then. Or is this a conjecture?
Old 07-02-2013, 08:25 AM   #27
Bigstan

Residency -

http://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/...ead.php?t=8623
Old 07-02-2013, 08:28 AM   #28
sea_n_ski

To clear up a couple of things. My daughter didn't ask me to post this thread nor to fight her battle. She just told me about it. She plans to go back to the library herself. I do plan to give her a copy of my tax bill to help her and recommend she brings $10 with her.

After seeing all of the responses ( thank you), I think the librarian on duty was just ignorant. The town should do all that it can to encourage young minds to read. More importantly, stop discriminating. Stop having different prices on events for nonresident tax payers. Treat us all the same.

I love Meredith and think the town is amazing. Meredith is our second home. I hope everyone has a wonderful summer.
Old 07-02-2013, 10:19 AM   #29
P-3 Guy

Quote:
OK. State them then. Or is this a conjecture?
Not conjecture. The link that Bigstan provided to the older thread is helpful.

NH RSA 21:6

21:6 Resident; Inhabitant. – A resident or inhabitant or both of this state and of any city, town or other political subdivision of this state shall be a person who is domiciled or has a place of abode or both in this state and in any city, town or other political subdivision of this state, and who has, through all of his actions, demonstrated a current intent to designate that place of abode as his principal place of physical presence for the indefinite future to the exclusion of all others.

As the statute says, you have to demonstrate, through all of your actions, a current intent to designate your place of abode as your principal place of physical presence for the indefinite future to the exclusion of all others. This can be done by showing a combination of a number of different factors; there is no set formula. Some of these factors might be regsitering to vote, getting a driver's license, registering a vehicle, and owning property. BUT - as I stated earlier - you can't just "claim" to be a resident of a certain state and have it be so.
Old 07-02-2013, 07:10 PM   #30
djwoodward

Quote:
After seeing all of the responses ( thank you), I think the librarian on duty was just ignorant.
I have no horse in this race but...

Why the personal attack on the librarian? It sounds like she might have been just upholding the policy of the library by not providing an adult non-resident a free card.

You seem to be unaware of the policy and made no attempt to research it before posting your displeasure here and you call the librarian ignorant?
The Following User Says Thank You to djwoodward For This Useful Post:
Natt (07-26-2013)
Old 07-02-2013, 07:26 PM   #31
songkrai

The residency thing has been stated here before on other threads.

The bottom line is that anyone with a domicle in Meredith can claim residency.

It's 180 days plus 1. But day 1 can start today. You don't wait 181 days then claim residency.

As long as she does not claim residency someplace else then Meredith it can be. Starting right now.
Old 07-02-2013, 07:45 PM   #32
jeffk

I disagree with the residency discussion treating this like voting.

The policy (via the link provided) says:
Free cards will be given to:
• Residents and non-resident taxpayers to the Town of Meredith

So if you have property, i.e. pay taxes, you are entitled to a free card. It's NOT like voting where you are only allowed to vote in one place. Your official residence can be somewhere else. If you have Meredith property you are entitled to a free card.

This isn't rocket surgery. The librarian seems ill informed.
The Following User Says Thank You to jeffk For This Useful Post:
hig (07-02-2013)
Old 07-02-2013, 08:12 PM   #33
tbonies

What leads one to start such a ridiculous post on a public forum versus just dealing with the issue directly, like an adult should. A burning need for attention? Lonely?
Old 07-02-2013, 08:13 PM   #34
djwoodward

Quote:
The librarian seems ill informed.
Perhaps not, just playing devil's advocate here...

The daughter in question is an adult but neither a resident or non-resident taxpayer.

IF the policy states those are the conditions that need to be met then she doesn't qualify.

Hypothetically speaking, if my 75 year old mother was a taxpayer in Meredith, would I qualify for a free card although I'm 50 years old and live in a different NH town? Is this any different?

Perhaps the daughter has established residency in the So. NH town she winters to vote or register a vehicle etc. If so, she wouldn't seem to qualify with this policy to me.

If the policy is ambiguous or unfair fight the policy but don't assume that librarian is causing the problem. I'm sure she/he is a fine person with great concern for educating our youth.
The Following User Says Thank You to djwoodward For This Useful Post:
Natt (07-26-2013)
Old 07-02-2013, 09:11 PM   #35
jeffk

Also being the devil's advocate , I believe it is not residency, since the policy clearly states it is NOT required, but more being a member of the household.

As a 50 year old visiting your mother in the town you are clearly NOT a member of the household, merely a visitor.

On the other hand, the 18 year old is still basically a member of her parents household. Based on your reasoning, a 14 year old up for the summer at her parents house would not be entitled to a free card. Neither would a resident's child since SHE is not the actual taxpayer.

What urgent principle is the library protecting here? When voting we want to make sure every entitled person can vote, but only once. Some certification is reasonable. But the library should be in the business of dispensing knowledge and culture. What difference does it make if a few household members of taxpayers take out materials?

So if you were living with your mother, even at 50, you WOULD be a member of her household and it would be reasonable to issue you a library card. What better goal is served by refusing you one?

My critique of the librarian, or actually of the apparent library policy, is that I would think librarians would want to get books into as many hands as they possibly could. This interpretation of the policy seems to undermine that idea.
Old 07-02-2013, 09:19 PM   #36
P-3 Guy

Quote:
The bottom line is that anyone with a domicle in Meredith can claim residency.
Having a domicile alone and nothing else likely won't cut it.

Quote:
As long as she does not claim residency someplace else then Meredith it can be. Starting right now.
Sure, if she gives up residency in whatever other place she currently has it, and takes other actions consistent with a change in residence, including the intention to maintain legal residency in Meredith for the indefinite future (i.e., there are no plans to make another change of residency in the future). But really, all this to get a library card at no charge instead of paying $10?
Old 07-03-2013, 02:48 AM   #37
songkrai

This whole library thing is absurd.
All family members who live with a real estate property owner in Meredith should be able to get a free library card.

There is a board of library trustees. If I were the parent I would be giving them a piece of my mind.

You pay $12,000 in property taxes and your kid can't get a free library card?

You can quote all of the rules and regulations and NH residency requirements - the bottom line is that this situation is absurd.

Give the teenager a library card and move on.
Old 07-03-2013, 03:41 AM   #38
secondcurve

Quote:
All family members who live with a real estate property owner in Meredith should be able to get a free library card.

There is a board of library trustees. If I were the parent I would be giving them a piece of my mind.

You can quote all of the rules and regulations and NH residency requirements - the bottom line is that this situation is absurd.

Agreed. This issue comes down to common sense and unfortunately it is often lacking in government, even apparently at the local level. I think the parent has a right to be furious. It is not about the money rather it is about respect and principle.
Old 07-03-2013, 05:31 AM   #39
djwoodward

Quote:
Also being the devil's advocate , I believe it is not residency, since the policy clearly states it is NOT required, but more being a member of the household. .
Where does it mention being a member of a household?

[QUOTE=jeffk;207075]As a 50 year old visiting your mother in the town you are clearly NOT a member of the household, merely a visitor
The line has to be drawn somwhere. If a 50 year old or an 18 year old spends the summer in Meredith but claims residency elsewhere neither of them are residents or taxpayers

Quote:
Based on your reasoning, a 14 year old up for the summer at her parents house would not be entitled to a free card.
No, the 14 year old is not an adult, the 18 year old is.

Quote:
Neither would a resident's child since SHE is not the actual taxpayer.
No, they are residents also.

Quote:
What urgent principle is the library protecting here?.
I suspect that they are trying to protect their collection. A book is more likely to dissapear to a non-resident with no official ties to Meredith.

Quote:
So if you were living with your mother, even at 50, you WOULD be a member of her household and it would be reasonable to issue you a library card.?
If I were living with my hypothetical mother then I would be a resident. It's seems residency is the key not household. As an adult my mother should not be responsible for any potential misuse of the library's collection

Quote:
My critique of the librarian, or actually of the apparent library policy, is that I would think librarians would want to get books into as many hands as they possibly could. This interpretation of the policy seems to undermine that idea.
They're also ar stewards of the library's collection. They need to get the books into responsible hands and to that end, they have to establish some reasonable policies. Maybe this one still needs some work but I suspect the motive is not to limit people's accesss.
Old 07-03-2013, 06:33 AM   #40
RailroadJoe

Time to stop beating a dead horse. More to life than this.
Old 07-03-2013, 06:48 AM   #41
SIKSUKR

Default Ding ding ding

Ok,after 8 rounds I declare djwoodward the winner by unanimous decision.
trfour (07-03-2013)
Old 07-03-2013, 02:26 PM   #42
P-3 Guy

Quote:

We've only heard one side of the story, and this from the OP who titled a thread about his/her 18 year old adult daughter being asked to pay $10 for a library card "Children are not welcome at the Meredith Public Library." Not exactly accurate.

My comments have not been about the library's policy, other than to express the opinion that changing legal residence to avoid paying $10 for a library card (as you seem to be suggesting) is a bit extreme. Rather, I have taken issue with your earlier statement that "In the good ole US of A one can claim residency anywhere," which is simply not the case.
Old 07-12-2013, 06:01 AM   #43
Redsoxlover

Default Library card

So my daughter goes into the library and asks for a card to take out books. They ask her if she is a full time resident. She say no, but we own a home on Meredith neck. Just up for the summer. They ask her if she is the one that actually pays the taxes. Like an 18 year old girl pays the $12K we pay in taxes. She says no, my father pays the taxes.

They tell her she doesn't qualify to get a Library Card. The said I could get one because I actually pay the taxes, but not her.

Sounds as if she wasn't given the option to pay the $10.
Old 07-12-2013, 06:23 AM   #44
RailroadJoe

If you own a home on Merideth Neck and pay taxes, how much do you pay on your primary residence? Also, if you go to Canoe once a month and tip the waitress, lots I bet, what is the big deal about a crummy $10 for your daughters library card. Life is too short, pay the $10.
Old 07-13-2013, 03:04 PM   #45
This'nThat

Quote:
When our children were young, we got them all Library Cards to the Meredith Public Library.
I'll make one small but significant point here -- when your children were children, you got them all library cards. No so when your children are adults. Rules are rules.

Quote:
As part time lake owners we pay a ton in taxes and don't use most of the town services. They don't even plow our road or pick up our trash.
Observation: I'm a full time resident of another lakes town. My trash isn't picked up. My road isn't plowed. It has nothing to do with whether you're a part-time resident or not. It's not clear what your complaint is.

Quote:
I told her to go back into the library and ask for the head librarian and demand a card.
In other words, have your adult child go act like a spoiled child and throw a tantrum to get her way?

I'll repeat. Rules are rules. Don't like it? Then try to get the rules changed first; throw the tantrum later.
Old 07-13-2013, 04:33 PM   #46
songkrai

Quote:
Not exactly accurate.

. Rather, I have taken issue with your earlier statement that "In the good ole US of A one can claim residency anywhere," which is simply not the case.
I don't know how many ways it can be stated.

Anyone in the USA can move anywhere and claim residency. As long as there is only one.

You can move to Alaska. Move in with a family member, rent an apartment, buy a home or whatever. And claim residency in Alaska. As long as you do not claim residency someplace else.

If I was the young gal I'd go right down to town hall and register to vote.
Old 07-13-2013, 05:04 PM   #47
P-3 Guy

Quote:
I don't know how many ways it can be stated.

Anyone in the USA can move anywhere and claim residency. As long as there is only one.

You can move to Alaska. Move in with a family member, rent an apartment, buy a home or whatever. And claim residency in Alaska. As long as you do not claim residency someplace else.
This is different than what you stated before: "In the good ole US of A one can claim residency anywhere." There was no previous mention of moving or doing anything other than making a "claim."

Quote:
If I was the young gal I'd go right down to town hall and register to vote.
Just to avoid paying $10 to get a library card? Really? If you owned a car, you would probably have to re-register it in Meredith, and also get a NH driver's license or change the address on an existing NH driver's license to Meredith, whichever the case may be. Most importantly, you would be making a legal declaration that Meredith will be your permanent home to the exclusion of all others, for the indefinite future. Sounds kind of extreme to avoid paying $10 for a library card.
The Following User Says Thank You to P-3 Guy For This Useful Post:
Irrigation Guy (07-13-2013)
Old 07-13-2013, 08:51 PM   #48
songkrai

William Loeb - owner/publisher of Union Leader newspaper.
Lived in Beverly Farms, Massachusetts.
Worked in Manchester, New Hampshire.
Claimed legal resident in Nevada.
Old 07-14-2013, 09:03 AM   #49
P-3 Guy

Quote:
William Loeb - owner/publisher of Union Leader newspaper.
Lived in Beverly Farms, Massachusetts.
Worked in Manchester, New Hampshire.
Claimed legal resident in Nevada.
http://news.google.com/newspapers?ni...g=4223,1493912
Old 07-14-2013, 03:19 PM   #50
evergreenenvious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakegeezer View Post
While I hope your daughter convinces the library to give her a card, look at the title of your posting. At 18, in NH, your daughter is considered an adult. True, it is 21 to drink and 26 to be kicked off your insurance, but apparently at the library it is 18. I would hope that children are indeed welcome there.

Perhaps you can charge her a dollar rent for the summer, then she can move her residence to Meredith and say that she is a full-time renter.
i think its silly too, but the rent idea is good, write up a rent receipt, shes renting a room from you for the summer.
Old 07-14-2013, 06:19 PM   #51
P-3 Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by evergreenenvious View Post
i think its silly too, but the rent idea is good, write up a rent receipt, shes renting a room from you for the summer.
Renting a room for the summer, by itself, isn't enough to make anyone a legal resident of Meredith.
Old 07-14-2013, 07:36 PM   #52
songkrai

Quote:
Renting a room for the summer, by itself, isn't enough to make anyone a legal resident of Meredith.
Of course it does. If that person claims that rented room as their one and only legal residence.

This is not the Soviet Union.
Old 07-14-2013, 10:03 PM   #53
P-3 Guy

Quote:
Of course it does. If that person claims that rented room as their one and only legal residence.

This is not the Soviet Union.
If someone is just renting for the summer, then they're not intending to make Meredith their permanent residence. One of the major tests of residency is the intent to make the location the "principal place of physical presence for the indefinite future to the exclusion of all others." It should be obvious that a summer rental fails that test on every level.
Old 07-15-2013, 05:47 AM   #54
Happy Gourmand

Quote:
If someone is just renting for the summer, then they're not intending to make Meredith their permanent residence. One of the major tests of residency is the intent to make the location the "principal place of physical presence for the indefinite future to the exclusion of all others." It should be obvious that a summer rental fails that test on every level.
Not only that, but it would be a fraud, a small one perhaps, but fraud nonetheless.
Pay the $10 and move on. Or, don't pay the $10, but move on...
Old 07-15-2013, 09:08 PM   #55
no-engine

What about the facilities sticker? Isn't it same fee for all?
Can a business owner that rents the retail space in Meredith obtain a sticker to take trash to re-cycle?
Old 07-25-2013, 06:35 AM   #56
This'nThat

Default Joe Biden's niece voted in NH by claiming to be a resident

Quote:
Talk about fraud. Here's a timely article about Joe Biden's niece. She was working on o'bama's campaign last year, and voted in NH by claiming she was a resident. But more than that, here's the money line from WMUR:

State Sen. Martha Fuller Clark, D-District 21, has eight people registered to vote under her single-family address in Portsmouth. Several of them came to New Hampshire to work on campaigns for various periods of time and voted in elections before moving on. When asked about the legitimacy of their domicile status, Clark said:
"By and large, the young people who stayed with me were committed to New Hampshire, but given their age, whether they intended to stay is impossible to predict."

We just had voter fraud committed in NH -- a swing state -- conducted by our elected Democrats.
Old 07-25-2013, 06:39 AM   #57
This'nThat

Link to the article above.
Old 07-25-2013, 10:23 AM   #58
Bear Islander

"According to the Secretary of State's Office, the law allows a pretty wide interpretation of who's eligible to vote. Deputy Secretary of State Dave Scanlan said that in theory, a person could move into the state a day before an election, establish domicile in the state, vote and then leave the next day."

It always puzzles me why so many people are so involved in preventing other people from voting. This is America, there is no requirement that a citizen maintain a place of residence. We are free to move from place to place without asking permission. We may also wonder the land, homeless or in an RV that is our home.

Did you ever hear about Johny Appleseed? He is an American icon but if he tried to vote in a current election he might have problems with the residency police.

I'm sorry if your party is not getting as many votes as in the past. But the answer is to make your party more inclusive. Taking away the Constitutional right to vote is NOT the answer.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bear Islander For This Useful Post:
gillygirl (07-26-2013), Happy Gourmand (07-25-2013)
Old 07-25-2013, 10:35 AM   #59
spider22

Quote:
The problem here isn't the $10. It's worth it. I like the library and when the girls were small, they all got library cards. It's the fact that they take our tax dollars and treat us like second class citizens. I would love to go to a town meeting and voice my opinion the like rest of the citizens, but I cannot. Only full time residents can speak at public meetings.

Where would all of these lake towns be without us? You would think they would throw us a bone every once in a while. A good example is Meredith Neck Rd, where a lot of seasonal residents have homes. That road is falling apart. I called the town a few months back and they said they have no plans to fix it. We can't even bring it up at a town meeting. At least they could give us a decent road to to get to our homes (they should pave it with gold thanking us) . Nope, the $$$ all goes towards resident goodies. Seasonal residents don't matter.
I think you are wrong. I think you can go to the town meeting and voice your opinion you just cannot vote. I might be wrong on this but I believe I have heard this.
Old 07-26-2013, 06:15 AM   #60
jrc

Quote:

It always puzzles me why so many people are so involved in preventing other people from voting...
Come on, do you really expect us to believe you believe this? People want to prevent people from voting fraud not from voting. Voting more than once for the same election, that's fraud. Voting if your not a citizen, that's fraud. Voting in a swing state that you are just visiting instead of the "safe" state you normally reside in is fraud. Just because you don't get caught doesn't make it right and remember that both side learn each others tricks. Don't be surprised if you see busloads of Texans moving here for a day or two in 2016.

Back to library cards, this residency PITA stuff comes for the same reason, people try to game the system. People want resident college rates, resident fishing licenses, and resident car insurance when they really don't live here. It's just like cheating on your taxes, sure sometimes you can get away with it but that doesn't make it right.
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to jrc For This Useful Post:
ApS (07-26-2013), brk-lnt (07-26-2013), hilltopper (07-26-2013), ishoot308 (07-26-2013), Natt (07-27-2013), Scott's Yott (07-26-2013), Sue Doe-Nym (07-26-2013), tis (07-26-2013), VitaBene (07-26-2013)
Old 07-26-2013, 06:38 AM   #61
ishoot308

Thanked 4,924 Times in 1,906 Posts
Default Only In America...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrc View Post
Come on, do you really expect us to believe you believe this? People want to prevent people from voting fraud not from voting. Voting more than once for the same election, that's fraud. Voting if your not a citizen, that's fraud. Voting in a swing state that you are just visiting instead of the "safe" state you normally reside in is fraud. Just because you don't get caught doesn't make it right and remember that both side learn each others tricks. Don't be surprised if you see busloads of Texans moving here for a day or two in 2016.

Back to library cards, this residency PITA stuff comes for the same reason, people try to game the system. People want resident college rates, resident fishing licenses, and resident car insurance when they really don't live here. It's just like cheating on your taxes, sure sometimes you can get away with it but that doesn't make it right.
Only in America do you have to show identification to board an airplane, cash a check, buy liquor or check out a library book, but not to vote who runs the government ...
VitaBene (07-26-2013)
Old 07-26-2013, 08:11 AM   #62
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,625 Times in 561 Posts

Quote:
"According to the Secretary of State's Office, the law allows a pretty wide interpretation of who's eligible to vote. Deputy Secretary of State Dave Scanlan said that in theory, a person could move into the state a day before an election, establish domicile in the state, vote and then leave the next day."

It always puzzles me why so many people are so involved in preventing other people from voting. This is America, there is no requirement that a citizen maintain a place of residence. We are free to move from place to place without asking permission. We may also wonder the land, homeless or in an RV that is our home.

Did you ever hear about Johny Appleseed? He is an American icon but if he tried to vote in a current election he might have problems with the residency police.

I'm sorry if your party is not getting as many votes as in the past. But the answer is to make your party more inclusive. Taking away the Constitutional right to vote is NOT the answer.
Nearly 100,000 same day registration at the last election,many were bussed in from other states and left immediately after voting.I think the results show clearly who was bringing in all people to enjoy their"right to vote"
Old 07-26-2013, 08:16 AM   #63
VitaBene

Thanked 1,599 Times in 820 Posts

Quote:

It has zero to do with party affiliation and everything to do with knowing that the citizen whom is voting is who they say they are, and is voting where they are registered to vote. Pretty simple concept.
Old 07-26-2013, 08:17 AM   #64
WakeboardMom

Quote:
We have exactly the same situation in Moultonborough as the OP presented. My college-age daughter has lived and worked here for many summers (as did her brothers before her). Last summer she went to the library and asked for a card. She got it. I was not told of any controversy.

I, too, have a Moultonborough library card, as well as a card for the town in which I sleep 4 nights out of 7.

If Moultonborough had asked for $10 I would have paid it, but I would not have been happy. I'm certainly not looking to "game the system" but I pay as much (more?) taxes in Moultonborough as I do elsewhere. And to their credit, they have a wonderful school system because of folks like me. I don't think a library card is asking too much.
Old 07-26-2013, 08:46 AM   #65
Natt

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMIAM View Post
Nearly 100,000 same day registration at the last election,many were bussed in from other states and left immediately after voting.I think the results show clearly who was bringing in all people to enjoy their"right to vote"
Urban legend.
The Following User Says Thank You to Natt For This Useful Post:
Scott's Yott (07-26-2013)
Old 07-26-2013, 09:29 AM   #66
jrc

BTW Bear Islander, last year you offered island maps to residents of the island. I plan to declare Bear Island as my residence for a few hours Saturday, while I visit the church. Can you send me a copy of the map?

I'm sorry that's just silly...

Last edited by jrc; 07-26-2013 at 10:18 AM. Reason: removed purely politcal stuff
Old 07-26-2013, 09:40 AM   #67
Chaselady

This tread has gone on too long, and of course, hijacked again to become a political soapbox.
Old 07-26-2013, 10:44 AM   #68
ApS

Red face 1984? Oops...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaselady View Post
This tread has gone on too long, and of course, hijacked again to become a political soapbox.
Well, before the thread goes to the litter bin, I'd just like to inject that Moultonborough students were bussed to Wolfeboro for their education until 1984.

Oh well, part II:
Attached Images

Last edited by ApS; 07-26-2013 at 02:18 PM. Reason: My II cents...
Old 07-26-2013, 11:20 AM   #69
Bear Islander

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishoot308 View Post
Only in America do you have to show identification to board an airplane, cash a check, buy liquor or check out a library book, but not to vote who runs the government ...
You DO NOT have a Constitutionally protected RIGHT to board an airplane.

You DO NOT have a Constitutionally protected RIGHT to cash a check.

You DO NOT have a Constitutionally protected RIGHT to buy liquor.

You DO NOT have a Constitutionally protected RIGHT to check out a library book.

You DO NOT have a Constitutionally protected RIGHT to operate a vehicle on a public road.

Those a privileges.

You DO have a Constitutionally protected RIGHT to vote.

Some people do not have an id. They are still citizen's however, and anybody that tries to keep them from voting is a criminal. And any politician that attempts to pass legislation to prevent them from voting is violating their oath of office.

Oh, I know we have that "voter fraud" red herring that is always dragged out. Real voter fraud is so rare that it almost does not exist. Urban legends to the contrary.
Old 07-26-2013, 11:23 AM   #70
LSBA Joker

Default no hassles at Meredith Library

20 yr old son asks for a library card, gets told same story as the initial posting. Smart son calls me (the taxpayer, non-resident), I get a card, no make that 2, a key ring edition and the standard wallet card. I give 1 to son, hang 2nd on cork board at the lakehouse .
total cost for 2 library cards: <$25 lunch for the 2 of us at Sunshine and Pa's.
another happy winni day.
ps, staff at library were extremely helpful and pleasant.
Old 07-26-2013, 11:31 AM   #71
Bear Islander

Quote:
BTW Bear Islander, last year you offered island maps to residents of the island. I plan to declare Bear Island as my residence for a few hours Saturday, while I visit the church. Can you send me a copy of the map?

I'm sorry that's just silly...
Association membership is limited to "Residential Property Owners". The church is not a residence and you do not own it. If you ever buy a residence on Bear Island send me a PM.
Old 07-26-2013, 12:32 PM   #72
jrc

Obviously you are right on the island association, it's a private club and I can't prove that I'm a member. Would you take my word for it?

On the voting, the 14th amendment clearly states that only citizens of the United States must be guaranteed the right to vote in federal elections. It's not really crazy to ask them to demonstrate citizenship before they vote is it? Are you suggesting we just take their word for it?

Sorry Chaselady, can't resist.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jrc For This Useful Post:
tis (07-26-2013), VitaBene (07-26-2013)
Old 07-26-2013, 01:34 PM   #73
ishoot308

Thanked 4,924 Times in 1,906 Posts

Quote:
You DO NOT have a Constitutionally protected RIGHT to board an airplane.

You DO NOT have a Constitutionally protected RIGHT to cash a check.

You DO NOT have a Constitutionally protected RIGHT to buy liquor.

You DO NOT have a Constitutionally protected RIGHT to check out a library book.

You DO NOT have a Constitutionally protected RIGHT to operate a vehicle on a public road.

Those a privileges.

You DO have a Constitutionally protected RIGHT to vote.

Some people do not have an id. They are still citizen's however, and anybody that tries to keep them from voting is a criminal. And any politician that attempts to pass legislation to prevent them from voting is violating their oath of office.

Oh, I know we have that "voter fraud" red herring that is always dragged out. Real voter fraud is so rare that it almost does not exist. Urban legends to the contrary.
Come on Bear Islander! Give me a break! I just know you are better than that!

It is estimated there are between 12 - 30 million ILLEGAL aliens in this country. They DO NOT have the constitutional right to vote! How do you stop this more than 10% of the population from illegally voting????

Asking for proof of citizenship prior to voting is common sense for heaven sake!!

Last edited by ishoot308; 07-26-2013 at 02:06 PM.
Old 07-26-2013, 01:38 PM   #74
Bear Islander

Quote:
On the voting, the 14th amendment clearly states that only citizens of the United States must be guaranteed the right to vote in federal elections. It's not really crazy to ask them to demonstrate citizenship before they vote is it? Are you suggesting we just take their word for it?
I would not have a problem with asking voters for id if the was a demonstrable need for it. However there has been NO voter fraud in numbers of any significants. Perhaps you would like to show evidence to the contrary? I would love to see that.

While illegal voter fraud is extremely rare, illegal "voter suppression" is not . It happens all to often. A few years ago in NH one party hired an outside company to jam the other parties telephone lines on election day with computer calls. Thus preventing that campaign from organizing rides to the polls for voters. But I predict you will not be able to do that. Voter suppression laws exist to prevent poor and minorities from voting. They do not pass the laugh test.

That is the kind of illegal and unconstitutional activity that should be stopped.

And if you can prove voter fraud is happening in numbers of any significants then I am ok with requiring an id to vote. However voter id laws do not pass the laugh test.

Last edited by Bear Islander; 07-26-2013 at 01:42 PM. Reason: .
Old 07-26-2013, 02:48 PM   #75
jrc

Obviously we will not agree on this, so I'll end with this link. I'm sure you will say that the link is somehow not credible or funded by "bad" people. Let's just say you don't believe it and I do.

http://www.truethevote.org/news/how-...-facts-figures
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jrc For This Useful Post:
Longtimelurker (07-26-2013), RailroadJoe (07-26-2013), wifi (07-26-2013)
Old 07-26-2013, 08:46 PM   #76
Bear Islander

Quote:
Obviously we will not agree on this, so I'll end with this link. I'm sure you will say that the link is somehow not credible or funded by "bad" people. Let's just say you don't believe it and I do.

http://www.truethevote.org/news/how-...-facts-figures
I DO believe the information on voter fraud in your link. It claims that nationwide there have been 99 cases of voter fraud. Are you kidding me!! 99 cases is statistically insignificant. It comes to 2 cases per million voters, in other words ZERO. Thanks for the link that proves my point so graphically.

Check out this link.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EuOT1bRYdK8

It shows Pennsylvania House Republican Leader Mike Turzai claiming that the voter id bill he just pushed through will win PA for Romney. Tell me again about voter id legislation having nothing to do with partisan politics.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bear Islander For This Useful Post:
gillygirl (07-27-2013), Lakegeezer (07-27-2013), songkrai (07-26-2013)
Old 07-26-2013, 09:01 PM   #77
songkrai

Thank you for posting this ISLANDER.
Old 07-26-2013, 09:04 PM   #78
songkrai

Now back to the gal trying to get a library card.

Not only should she go down to town hall and register to vote - the whole family should.

If any live in NH 180 days plus one they can become NH residents. Day 1 of the 180 days plus one can start today. Done deal.
Old 07-26-2013, 10:46 PM   #79
WakeboardMom

Quote:
Now back to the gal trying to get a library card.

Not only should she go down to town hall and register to vote - the whole family should.

If any live in NH 180 days plus one they can become NH residents. Day 1 of the 180 days plus one can start today. Done deal.
Vote in your town of primary residence. Get a library card in each town where you pay (NH property) taxes.
Old 07-27-2013, 05:41 AM   #80
RailroadJoe

Go to yard sales. Plenty of books at 25 cents.
Closed Thread