Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Restaurant Information & Reviews
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 07-22-2008, 09:13 PM   #1
Old Hubbard Rd

Default Mt Washington Cruise Ship Food

Every year I look forward to my 1 trip on the Mount with the family. We went out tonight (Tuesday Family Night). It looks like the Mount has seriously cut back on the food quality. I am not a picky eater. I'm actually a human garbage disposal. I'll eat most anything. I'm telling you this food was not edible. Normally they have a nice turkey dinner with all the fixins and more. Tonight they served gross soggy breaded chicken with the bone. Frozen pea's and carrots. Dinner rolls that were hard as a rock. Round potatoe something that were also gross. They did have tons of desserts. I am sure this was my last trip as it took all I could to get the family and guest to want to go. At $43 a adult I guess we expected a bit more. Sorry for the bad review. I know someone is going to ask if I told the management and the answer is no. I hope they read this review and do something to improve the food quality.
Old Hubbard Rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 09:28 PM   #2
Seeker

Be interested to see the comments on this one. The only time we go (and eat) is on the Mothers Day Cruise which, on the 2 times we went, was good. Other times we just had a couple drinks.
Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 11:13 PM   #3
hazelnut

OHR,

As you were headed to dining hell, I saw the mount cruising the broads as I headed to the Lyons Den, which I raved about on another thread. Sorry about the bad experience. I do hope that they resolve these issues. There are so many dining options in the area you would think they would care.
hazelnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 06:36 AM   #4
fatlazyless

The Mount Washigton has cancelled all 3:15 cruises for the remainder of the summer, except on Saturdays. As posted at their Weirs Beach ticket office.

For a standard three hour cruise, the Mount costs $25/adults and $12/ kids 12 & under. That's expensive! The Mount chugs past my cottage, about 100 yards off shore, and looking through binoculars, one can easily see that business is hardly booming.

Maybe the Mount should copy the Fun Spot's business plan and bring on board a seven day, cash bingo game. Isn't that allowed when done for a qualified charitable organization.
Old 07-23-2008, 12:30 PM   #5
Sman

Default Mount food

I have been going to the lake since I was O yrs old and I have never been on a dinner cruise. Went on a breakfast cruise when I was 12, can't remember much of it.

I always figured it was low to mid grade buffet type food.

If someone claiming to be a human garbage disposal doesn't like the food, that pretty much says it all.
Sman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-23-2008, 12:50 PM   #6
fatlazyless

The Mount's Halloween cruise usually gets a big crowd of serious Halloween costumed party-goers. Three different bands on three decks, or 2 bands and one folksinger, and choice of surf or turf for about $44, .... real good food and a good night....definately worth getting costumed..

Average age....oh about 41.5 years old or so.

Check out all the Halloween, close-up, party photos from 2005 in the photo files.
Old 07-23-2008, 08:06 PM   #7
Old Hubbard Rd

Default Notified Mount

I did send a email to the Mount customer service today to let them know of my experience.
Old 07-23-2008, 08:13 PM   #8
Heaven

IMHO they should concentrate on giving a good cruise and offer just regular, buffet type/quality, food. If someone wants a dining experience, there are a lot of other choices.
Heaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 08:45 PM   #9
Old Hubbard Rd

Default Imho

What does IMHO stand for???

The meal at the buffet was a very poor effort. At $43 per person We expected more. In the past they had local restaurants that catered the dinners. At one time Harts Turkey Farm and the Chase Family prepared the food. Now I think they're trying to cook their own food and they're doing a lousy job.

BTW-I have not gotten a response about my email to the Mount staff.
Old 07-23-2008, 09:03 PM   #10
Meredith Resident

Default Bad Business Practices

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Hubbard Rd View Post

The meal at the buffet was a very poor effort. At $43 per person We expected more. In the past they had local restaurants that catered the dinners. At one time Harts Turkey Farm and the Chase Family prepared the food. Now I think they're trying to cook their own food and they're doing a lousy job.

I went on the mother's day cruise, and I found it to be a very good experience. However, they stuck our company for about $20,000, and we are in the process of taking them to court for it. Not a good way to conduct business with your neighbors. I probably won't support them anymore since I found out this fact.
Meredith Resident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 10:52 PM   #11
hazelnut

Quote:

OHR,

IMHO stands for In My Honest Opinion..... So the post was the "Honest Opinion" of Heaven. I guess He/She can drop $45 bucks a person and be satisfied with slop for food as long as the boat doesn't sink?

I am in FULL agreement with you OHR I would expect at least palatable food at that price.
Old 07-24-2008, 02:54 AM   #12
Old Hubbard Rd

Default Mount

Hazelnut

LOL!!!

Thanks for the help!!

You guys ok out on the island??

Your right is was $45 because they now tack on a extra $2 for fuel cost.

Last edited by Old Hubbard Rd; 07-24-2008 at 02:56 AM. Reason: added something
Old 07-24-2008, 05:06 AM   #13
Newbiesaukee

IMHO is usually interpreted as "in my humble opinion" although it is not usually meant as such. Humble, that is.
Newbiesaukee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 06:36 AM   #14
hazelnut

oops Humble/Honest.... either way insert adjective in my other post.

Thanks Newbie for reminding me of that one. Sometimes I lose track of all of the abbreviations.
Old 07-24-2008, 06:51 AM   #15
ccy

Default Mt Washington cruise ship

I took my sister on the cruise Last Wed. night (4/17). The ala carte menu was good; the guest chef was from Lago. The Wed. night cruise is now a three hour, ala carte dinner cruise. Anyhow, the food was very good and the service was attentive. We really enjoyed it. And the cost? Worked out to be about the same as the buffet cruise, give or take a couple of dollars!
ccy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 08:44 AM   #16
nicole

My dad was up visiting and as a "late" Father's Day present we took him on the Sunday Champagne breakfast cruise-two Sundays ago-the day of the barn fire. I thought the food was really not good at all. The food was dried, burnt and just not tasty. My husband did go to the make your own omlet part and he said that was good. I enjoyed a few mamossas-they were yummy While I certainly did not expect "gourmet" dining I did expect food that was not burnt or uncooked. We did mention this to a few of the kids refilling the food bins. These poor kids had their hands full people were so rude to them it totally shocked me.

I have to mention a sidenote here. I have been on the boat many times before but never for a meal. People are always polite and friendly. I could not get over the rudeness of some of these people when they went up to eat. Pushing, shoving. People going back for deserts 3 or 4 times and fighting over apple pie. Taking back whole pies as they were put out. I guess some people take "all you can eat" seriously. These poor kids who were refilling the food bins were treated horribly by these patrons. It was really something sad to see-how people can act like that. I swear if someone had thrown food in the center of the room on the floor-these people would have rioted over it. I did notice a few tour buses when we got off the boat but did not know where they were from. I am not naive to have never witnessed rude people before and know this can happen anywhere and I am certainly not blaming these people's behavior on the MS MT Washington people. God I felt so bad for these young kids. I was just very stunned with this behavior. Mybe to some these actions would not be shocking, but to my family and me they were.

On the good side, the weather was beautiful and we spent most of our time on the outside enjoying the views and the great weather. We also saw the barn fire on the way back
nicole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 04:27 PM   #17
Old Hubbard Rd

Default Reply from Mount

Just a update. I did receive a email from the Mount management which was nice. They said that they would look into my concern and notify the proper people. They offered to compensate us although I explained that was not what we were looking for. We had the wife and child of a New England celebrity with us and I was embarresed as I was insisting that they would enjoy this. My guests have left and they emailed us staying that the trip to Story Land was the highlite of their trip. We ALL really enjoyed that. We had hoped to get to Clarks Trading Post although the weather was not cooperative.
Old 07-24-2008, 05:41 PM   #18
Heaven

I shouldn't use that (IMHO) I guess ~ habit ~
My point was, I can't afford to go out on the boat if I am paying the cost of floating around AND the cost of a nice meal. I'd rather have the cost lowered with just "ok" food so that I can afford to go out on the boat. If I wanted to choose to spend a lot for a "nice" dinner, then I could do that at any number of places.
Heaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 05:46 PM   #19
Grant

Storyland = always a good time. I miss the days when my kids were young and the pilgrimage to Glen was an annual tradition. Maybe someday I will be lucky enough to take grandchildren there.

But not yet!!!!!
Old 07-24-2008, 07:20 PM   #20
Lakesrider

Thanked 1,016 Times in 345 Posts

There is no one on the boat because they are all at the new Lobster Pound.
that place is awesome now....You can actually sit down and eat or get up and dance....and it is cheaper than the boat! Must be the no fuel charge! Go figure!
Lakesrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 07:42 PM   #21
nj2nh

Temporarily hijacking this thread for one tiny little message about the Lobster Pound.

Lakesrider, you need to go read the reviews in the Restaurant forum and then post there about it. You'll be surprised how different those people feel about the new restaurant.

nj2nh
Old 07-24-2008, 10:21 PM   #22
Airwaves

I have to say that a number of years ago we (my wife and I) brought my in-laws on a harvest cruise on the Mount. Corn on the cob, lobster etc. The food was not good at all! I love CoB and lobster and so did my father and mother in law but this stuff was at best, bait!

To bring a "celebrity" or those related to him, on the mount for anything more than the view of Winnipesaukee is a major mistake because if they are in a possition to critique their experience, well it won't be good.
(My family did say you were gracious hosts though! LOL)

Over the last few years, looking at the number of folks on the mount on an unscientific observatory basis, I've wondered how the company is still in business.

If you're trying to impress folks with good food, the Mount Washington is NOT where you want to bring them. If you want to impress them with beauty and some history, the Mount and her sister boats are the way to go.
Airwaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 10:35 PM   #23
Misty Blue

Default MV/W Cruz'en

Air Waves, How come we are always on the same page. Semper Paratus.

Nicole, The rudeness is an embarrassment.

When my wife (Deb's Joy) and I go for an evening curise on the Mount we are not looking for a gourmet meal, but for 45 bucks we expect something better than the chow that I got at sea in the north atlantic. We usually get it. If the food on the MV/W is at least at a caterer's standards we are OK with it. Usually OK, sometimes not OK. But the rude people!

A great night is getting underway from Braun Bay with the old Misty and meeting the Mount at the Weirs for a dinner cruise with Annie and the Orphans. 'Hard to beat.

What kills us is while getting this 700 ton, 230' ship underway with awsome skills of seamanship no one is watching!

Down below decks old geezers and biddies are using roller-blade skills to check and slam the other blue hairs to the back of the chow line to claim first dibs on the macaroni salad. I would hate to see them at the Pondarosa Steak House!

The entertainment is always (usually) good, the people are fun, the staff are professional and for the price of 18 holes you have a memory.

We are blessed.

Misty Blue.
Misty Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 09:34 AM   #24
SIKSUKR

Default Mount's food on TV last night

Did anyone watch the show on PBS(ch 11 NHPTV) last night with a piece on the Mount?I believe it's called Road Stories where the host sits on the side of the road with a cardboard sign asking people to stop and tell him their story.On this episode he was at the Merideth fishing derby and the snowmobiler that stopped ended up being the Capt. of the Mount,Capt. O'Connell I believe.The host returns in summer to see the Capt at his job.The Capt gives him the full tour of the bridge(let's him handle the wheel),the engine room and yes,the galley.He actually cooks a little food while he's there.The person cooking was a student in Laconia but this summer job was giving him credits towards his eventual career in food management.Can't comment on the quality from this program but it was interesting.
Old 07-28-2008, 03:06 PM   #25
WinnDixie

Default The Mount's Strength

I was sorry to read of the less than favorable experience on the Mt. during the dinner cruise. I must admit, as much as I love the Mt. Washington, I don't think the night cruises are her best thing, at least not when I was there. I went to a high school reunion on her in the 90's and would have to say that was not the best place for such a gathering. We were in a windowless room in the lower part and had to go upstairs for the food, along with tons of other people. It was very crowded, and hard to mingle with our own group. I agree with Airwaves that she and her sister ships are at their best on the day cruises...and they are wonderful at that. Please, God, keep them sailing!

Since questions about abbreviations have been asked, I am going to ask: what does GFBL mean? I think I saw it once long ago, but can't find it, and resorting to guessing isn't too good, as I don't think it means Great(balls of fire, here comes the) Fastest Boat(on the )Lake! I'm sure someone will help me out! Thanks.
WinnDixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 04:25 PM   #26
jrc

FYI GFBL is Go Fast Be Loud, a non-flattering appellation for boats that are faster or louder than some arbitrary norm.

Back on topic, I think the Mount make a big chunk of their money on night cruises. Let's face it booze is a high profit item and you can't sell booze in NH without serving food.

They have recently been cutting back on their day cruises, I'm assuming because of lack of demand. The night cruises still seem to be every night. Maybe they're cutting down on the food dollars. This is all just guessing I have no inside knowledge.
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 07:29 PM   #27
Island Girl

Default Brunch was really good

My family and I did the 11:15 out of Alton Bay yesterday. The omelets were great... and lots of other really good food... I kept going back for the brownies... my granddaughter was a fan of the pudding..

Not under anyone's control... the weather was perfect.

IG

....... Make Lemonade
Island Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 11:46 AM   #28
rander7823

Default Was the meal worth $18?

I know the length of the cruise isn't exactly the same, but a normal cruise is $25(adult) so you are paying $18 for the meal. But the food should be edible.

Last edited by rander7823; 07-30-2008 at 12:17 PM.
rander7823 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 09:34 PM   #29
cruisenh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meredith Resident View Post
I went on the mother's day cruise, and I found it to be a very good experience. However, they stuck our company for about $20,000, and we are in the process of taking them to court for it. Not a good way to conduct business with your neighbors. I probably won't support them anymore since I found out this fact.
This is a very upsetting accusation and the first we have heard of it. It would be appropriate to contact the company to verify before you go public with such an accusation.
cruisenh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 10:34 PM   #30
Mr. V

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruisenh View Post
This is a very upsetting accusation and the first we have heard of it. It would be appropriate to contact the company to verify before you go public with such an accusation.
Yes, but unstated by the OP are the steps taken prior to deciding to go to court. Nobody goes to court without first trying to work it out. Well, maybe idiots and fools do.
Mr. V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 02:32 PM   #31
cruisenh

Default M/S Mount Washington food update.

Quote:
Every year I look forward to my 1 trip on the Mount with the family. We went out tonight (Tuesday Family Night). It looks like the Mount has seriously cut back on the food quality. I am not a picky eater. I'm actually a human garbage disposal. I'll eat most anything. I'm telling you this food was not edible. Normally they have a nice turkey dinner with all the fixins and more. Tonight they served gross soggy breaded chicken with the bone. Frozen pea's and carrots. Dinner rolls that were hard as a rock. Round potatoe something that were also gross. They did have tons of desserts. I am sure this was my last trip as it took all I could to get the family and guest to want to go. At $43 a adult I guess we expected a bit more. Sorry for the bad review. I know someone is going to ask if I told the management and the answer is no. I hope they read this review and do something to improve the food quality.
I want to let you all know that as of tomorrow, Tuesday, August 5, we are going back to the turkey with all the trimmings on our Family Night dinner buffet.
We are grateful to know about this so we can take corrective action before we are too far into the season. WE DO CARE!

We apologize profusely about you being embarrassed in front of your friends, whether they are celebrity or not. That is not a good feeling and we are very sorry.

For your information we have been cooking our own food (with a few exceptions) for many years. During this time we have had several different cooks and food service managers, all of whom have had both successes and failures. This meal was obviously one of the failures. Please know we always strive to do better and we want your input!
cruisenh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 05:56 PM   #32
Old Hubbard Rd

Default Hat's off to Mount Management!!

Thanks for the update. This forum really appreciates knowing that business owners are reading these messages and updating us of corrective measures taking place!! Good Luck!!