Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 06-01-2016, 05:13 AM   #1
Guiness

Default Car service, taxi, uber

Does anyone know of taxi service in the area. I don't believe Uber is active. Need a ride from Moultonboro to Weirs in a couple of weeks to pick up boat.

Any recommendations appreciated!
Guiness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 06:04 AM   #2
DRH

A quick Google search will show you there are several taxi services in Meredith and Laconia.
Guiness (06-01-2016)
Old 06-01-2016, 08:51 AM   #3
fatlazyless

Hitch-hiking using your thumb and a home made cardboard sign with the name of your destination town and a big lettered "ten dollars" and a real ten dollar bill taped to the sign has worked good for me a few times going from Meredith to Waterville valley. Seems like people tend to pick you up, but refuse to take the ten dollar bill ...... so's I always try to give them the money right at the start of the ride.

A taxi ride would cost about 50-dollars.....plus the taxi drivers drive like suicidal maniacs, sometimes.
NASCARNH (06-03-2016)
Old 06-01-2016, 08:59 AM   #4
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,962 Times in 1,212 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guiness View Post
Does anyone know of taxi service in the area. I don't believe Uber is active. Need a ride from Moultonboro to Weirs in a couple of weeks to pick up boat.

Any recommendations appreciated!
I'm in Moultonborough on weekends--what day you talking? I'm not an Uber driver, but I'd help a forum member if I could.

Sent from my XT1528 using Tapatalk
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to thinkxingu For This Useful Post:
Guiness (06-01-2016)
Old 06-02-2016, 02:33 AM   #5
Greene's Basin Girl

i could give you a ride also.
Greene's Basin Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Greene's Basin Girl For This Useful Post:
Guiness (06-02-2016)
Sponsored Links
Old 06-02-2016, 05:08 AM   #6
Barney Bear

Default Great!!!

The above offer of help is one of the many reasons this forum is so great!!! 🐻
Barney Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 06:53 AM   #7
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,090 Times in 784 Posts
Default Driver

I'm available as a driver for anyone who needs to get things done. I am retired with too much time on my hand. PM me if you need a ride or to drive.
Guiness (06-02-2016)
Old 06-02-2016, 07:08 AM   #8
Phantom

Now if we can only get someone to develop a simple APP we can have our own version of UBER ......... and call it perhaps "Winni-Lift"

Started that as tongue in cheek humor, Yet in a way .... not a bad idea !

beantownbaby (06-02-2016), thinkxingu (06-02-2016)
Old 06-02-2016, 10:55 AM   #9
DickR

Default Winni-Lift

There is ample precedent for doing something like this, As I see it, this would be quite informal, done perhaps through a new subforum. People are very willing to help others in the area. Consider, for example, the Interlakes Community Caregivers (ICCI), serving "neighbors" in Sandwich, Moultonborough, Center Harbor, and Meredith. Last year, volunteers provided over 2,200 services (mostly driving people to appointments), donating over 4,800 hours of time, and traveling over 46,000 miles, going mostly local but as far away as D-H hospital in Lebanon and Boston.
DickR is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DickR For This Useful Post:
Phantom (06-02-2016)
Old 06-02-2016, 12:40 PM   #10
Phantom

I want the Royalties on the name "Winni-Lift"

Old 06-02-2016, 01:35 PM   #11
thinkxingu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom View Post
I want the Royalties on the name "Winni-Lift"

Already registered "Lake-Lift"--sorry!

Old 06-02-2016, 02:37 PM   #12
Guiness

Default Wow!

This group is awesome! I appreciate the suggestions and will reach out to those kind enough to offer if I'm in a bind. Really appreciate the great spirit!!
Guiness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 03:37 PM   #13
Pineedles

Quote:
This group is awesome! I appreciate the suggestions and will reach out to those kind enough to offer if I'm in a bind. Really appreciate the great spirit!!
The Abenaki word "Winnipesaukee" translates in English to "Smile of the Great Spirit.".
Pineedles is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Pineedles For This Useful Post:
beantownbaby (06-02-2016)
Old 06-03-2016, 08:27 AM   #14
webmaster

Thanked 3,726 Times in 824 Posts

While reading this thread and a recent one looking for a water taxi I thought: How about Uber for on the water?

Many of us look for any excuse to take the boat out. Fetch a newspaper or milk? Go to lunch? Take a ride? Go to the laudromat? No problem, we're ready! If anyone needed a ride we'd line up to volunteer.

What if you could earn a little gas money by being a water taxi for all those island residents while finding new excuses to be on the boat? You'd just tell your Liquid Uber app that you're available and those needing rides could see where you were.

If Uber works on land why not on the water? I'll have to write to Uber's suggestion box...or seek some venture capital funding!
webmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 10:48 AM   #15
Phantom

Raises hand for Funding boat (capital) and you write the APP !!

You watch how fast I can get that canvas off !!

Don't you dare tell UBER

Old 06-03-2016, 03:11 PM   #16
tc_mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom View Post
Don't you dare tell UBER

Interestingly enough, Uber jokingly announced UberBOAT back in 2015 as part of an April 1 prank.
tc_mike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tc_mike For This Useful Post:
webmaster (06-04-2016)
Old 06-06-2016, 09:46 AM   #17
eyenotall777

Default 3 College Boys....

I witnessed this past Saturday evening 3 College Boys come into JP China trying to figure out how to get back to Dover, NH.

They woke in Dover, NH and decided to Uber up to the lake to hike Mt. Major for the day w/ backpacks and all.

Needless to say, when their adventure ended, they had no way to get back to Dover. They came into JP China asking around and waiting for an Uber response, no reply.

An employee getting off their shift at 9pm offered to provide them a ride back. I actually think the employee was able to leave a bit early to help them out.
eyenotall777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 11:15 AM   #18
Winnisquamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyenotall777 View Post
I witnessed this past Saturday evening 3 College Boys come into JP China trying to figure out how to get back to Dover, NH.

They woke in Dover, NH and decided to Uber up to the lake to hike Mt. Major for the day w/ backpacks and all.

Needless to say, when their adventure ended, they had no way to get back to Dover. They came into JP China asking around and waiting for an Uber response, no reply.

An employee getting off their shift at 9pm offered to provide them a ride back. I actually think the employee was able to leave a bit early to help them out.

Unfortunately sounds like piss poor planning to me, and that sucks that someone had to go out of their way to save the day. On a positive note I bet they didn't have to park a mile up the road from the Mt Major trail with all the other tourists since they had no car!

I've thought about driving for über numerous times and always decided not to because out of the 100 clients, you get those 4-5 idiots out of that bunch that would get thrown right out of my car pretty quickly.. I have never seen such disrespect as when people deal with cab, bus, train or uber drivers over the last year or so.
Winnisquamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 11:52 AM   #19
eyenotall777

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnisquamer View Post
Unfortunately sounds like piss poor planning to me, and that sucks that someone had to go out of their way to save the day. On a positive note I bet they didn't have to park a mile up the road from the Mt Major trail with all the other tourists since they had no car!

I've thought about driving for über numerous times and always decided not to because out of the 100 clients, you get those 4-5 idiots out of that bunch that would get thrown right out of my car pretty quickly.. I have never seen such disrespect as when people deal with cab, bus, train or uber drivers over the last year or so.
They could not have been more than 20yrs old and were actually very nice as well as not being from the area, not even NH perhaps and to know how vastly demographics changes.

Hopefully a learning curve on their part
eyenotall777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 07:57 AM   #20
ApS

Wink

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pineedles View Post
The Abenaki word "Winnipesaukee" translates in English to "Smile of the Great Spirit.".
Hasn't that been amended recently to "Beautiful Waterfront Properties in a High Place"?

I think that's how it goes.

Old 06-11-2016, 05:50 PM   #21
noreast

Quote:

That's what you're suppose to do when you're 20. A little adventure and some life long memories. The world would be a better place with more people taking advantage of their freedom.
noreast is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to noreast For This Useful Post:
Reilly (06-12-2016)
Old 06-11-2016, 07:24 PM   #22
thinkxingu

Quote:
Originally Posted by noreast View Post
The world would be a better place with more people taking advantage of their freedom.
And if people were nice to those who do. These kids were in no danger and put nobody out--at another time and place, namely some logging road crossing in the middle of the AT's Hundred Mile Wilderness, that woulda been me and my friends!

Old 06-11-2016, 09:23 PM   #23
hd333

What are the chances of grabbing a ride , Uber or taxi from Meadowlands to Moultonborough on a Wed night in July from the Dave Matthews concert?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
hd333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 05:45 AM   #24
VitaBene

Thanked 1,601 Times in 821 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hd333 View Post
What are the chances of grabbing a ride , Uber or taxi from Meadowlands to Moultonborough on a Wed night in July from the Dave Matthews concert?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Assuming you mean Meadowbrook, there are taxis, but I would call and arrange it. It would be an expensive ride from NJ
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 07:37 AM   #25
Winnisquamer

In today's world, at 20 how about getting a job and becoming a contributing member of society, you are now an adult not a kid anymore. Hell half of you older folks were probably married by 20 and expecting kids.

The times they are a changing.
Winnisquamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 07:45 AM   #26
thinkxingu

Quote:
In today's world, at 20 how about getting a job and becoming a contributing member of society, you are now an adult not a kid anymore. Hell half of you older folks were probably married by 20 and expecting kids.

Almost all my "older folks" friends were traveling America or Europe on foot or bikes in their 20's.

Old 06-12-2016, 07:52 AM   #27
garysanfran

Default When hitchhiking was a safe way to travel...

Quote:
Originally Posted by noreast View Post
That's what you're suppose to do when you're 20. A little adventure and some life long memories. The world would be a better place with more people taking advantage of their freedom.
I can't imagine going through life confined into a tight behavior box. Everything planned in detail, no spontaneity? No thanks!

In the 60's, my friends and I would stick out our thumbs and travel all over the place. We never had to wait more than a couple of minutes to get a ride. It was actually a social thing and we met some very interesting people. I had a Ford van and would ride around with no other purpose than to pick up hitchhikers. They were everywhere.

The times have certainly changed and helicopter parents do their children no favors.
garysanfran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 08:17 AM   #28
noreast

Quote:

Yea, and people are getting smarter and not marrying at 20. many things happened in the "good old days" that we'd really like to wipe from history that use to be swept under the rug. As sick as society is, I think that we just have so much more info now as apposed to not knowing what anyone was really doing in the past. "the kids are all right"
Old 06-12-2016, 08:20 AM   #29
noreast

Quote:
Originally Posted by garysanfran View Post
I can't imagine going through life confined into a tight behavior box. Everything planned in detail, no spontaneity? No thanks!

In the 60's, my friends and I would stick out our thumbs and travel all over the place. We never had to wait more than a couple of minutes to get a ride. It was actually a social thing and we met some very interesting people. I had a Ford van and would ride around with no other purpose than to pick up hitchhikers. They were everywhere.

The times have certainly changed and helicopter parents do their children no favors.
Right, The fear of what might happen has distorted reality to where you really can't trust people you should. I generally don't trust anyone. I'm working on it.
Old 06-12-2016, 01:58 PM   #30
salty dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by garysanfran View Post

I remember. Had an old VW bus and my buddies and I would drive around and do the same. I remember hitching home from college once, only about 80 miles, but I made it in 3 rides. When's the last time you saw someone hitch hiking? Ya, I can't remember either. I know we're not 20 anymore but the world's a lot scarier place.
Old 06-14-2016, 06:30 PM   #31
garysanfran

Default I saw a rare sight today...

Quote:
Originally Posted by salty dog View Post
I remember. Had an old VW bus and my buddies and I would drive around and do the same. I remember hitching home from college once, only about 80 miles, but I made it in 3 rides. When's the last time you saw someone hitch hiking? Ya, I can't remember either. I know we're not 20 anymore but the world's a lot scarier place.
I saw a hitchhiker today on Rt. 3 between Meredith and Center Harbor...First one I've seen in decades.

He wasn't there when I returned 30 mins. later. He may have been carrying a violin case...Wonder what was in it?
garysanfran is offline   Reply With Quote