Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Home, Cottage or Land Maintenance
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 08-29-2012, 03:22 PM   #1
CateP

Default Gas Stove Installation- WOW $$

I am purchasing a gas stove fireplace and am astounded by the labor costs for installation. Of the three distributors in the area, one cost $500, another $550 and yet another $675. That does not include materials, but it does include permits.

I am purchasing the stove from the distributor who charges $675. The installer called to set up a time and told me it would take about 2 hours to install the stove. Two hours! That's $337 per hour (not including travel time). WOW. Who do these guys think they are? Lawyers?

I'm wondering if there is an alternative installation option to this apparent rip off.
CateP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 03:54 PM   #2
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,090 Times in 784 Posts
Default Questions

Do you have natural gas or propane? Does the gas line exists where the stove is to be installed?

Gas lines are expensive, so be prepared to spend some money to install the line, otherwise connecting a stove to an existing gas line should not cost more than the installation.

If the stove has to be converted, I would look for the right stove or find a dual purpose stove.

I never heard of getting a permit to install a gas fireplace unless you are adding a chimney/flue.
Old 08-29-2012, 04:25 PM   #3
Rusty

Quote:
Originally Posted by CateP View Post
I am purchasing a gas stove fireplace and am astounded by the labor costs for installation. Of the three distributors in the area, one cost $500, another $550 and yet another $675. That does not include materials, but it does include permits.

I am purchasing the stove from the distributor who charges $675. The installer called to set up a time and told me it would take about 2 hours to install the stove. Two hours! That's $337 per hour (not including travel time). WOW. Who do these guys think they are? Lawyers?

I'm wondering if there is an alternative installation option to this apparent rip off.
Is this a vent free gas stove fireplace?
Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 04:49 PM   #4
CateP

Propane stove. Vented to outer wall. The $675 cost does NOT include installing the gas line. I am having Eastern Propane do that.
Old 08-29-2012, 05:20 PM   #5
Rusty

Quote:
Propane stove. Vented to outer wall. The $675 cost does NOT include installing the gas line. I am having Eastern Propane do that.
Unfortunately if you can't do it yourself then the going labor rate is very high. About four years ago I put my gas stove in myself because most places wanted @ $500.00 to do it. It's really not that hard to do if you have basic carpentry skills. I'll bet you could do it yourself with some good instructions from the people who you purchase the piping from.

The direct vent piping material is also expensive.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-29-2012, 06:27 PM   #6
fatlazyless

Here's a similar, recent experience of mine. Lamprey Septic of Moultonborough, after looking first hand at my septic pump holding tank, told me it would cost about $1500 to 1800 dollars to replace the tired, old septic pump and attached 2" diameter galvy pipe with 2" PVC right up to the 2" black polyvinylbutyl pipe within the holding tank.

Going to Gilford Lowe's; a new similar 1/2hp septic pump and float switch costs $277 and the 2" PVC pipe, pvc fittingss and polyvinylbutyl check valve about another $50 total

Yes, it is very true that the hired installer will bring with them their experience, expertise, and knowledge plus of course their labor, so it is all something to think about.
Old 08-29-2012, 06:31 PM   #7
codeman671

Quote:
So with no materials included, all they are doing is setting it in place, cutting a hole in the wall and hooking up a few pieces of pipe that snap together? No wonder you are upset.
codeman671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 05:36 AM   #8
Sunbeam lodge

Quote:

And no state employment tax.
Sunbeam lodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 03:44 PM   #9
SAB1

Like Rusty said, it is not hard to do if you know basic carpentry. The hardest thing to do is install the thimble. If you have a friend that knows any about carpentry he/she can cut that in in no time. The thimble is just a clamshell. I am not a carpenter but I had mine installed in under the 2 hours they quoted you. Just had to wait overnight for a little silicone to dry.
SAB1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 06:29 PM   #10
NoBozo

Default A Slight Aside

My Fuel Oil company has INCOMPETENT "Technicians". We buy oil from them AND a maintenance contract. The maintenance is around $230 a year. They come out once a year and Clean the furnace. EVERY time they come.....they have to come back 2-3 times afterward to get the furnace running ..Again.

We declined their Cleaning Service the last three years. (We still pay the service fee because it covers "unforeseen incidents" which might require equipment replacement..) The furnace just keeps chugging along without their "service".

NOW: They are calling every now and then to get us to let them come out and service the furnace..AND NOW.. they want to check our fuel tank for LEAKS. Scare..Scare..Whiskey Tango Foxtrot.

BEWARE of Wolves looking for a new source of revinue....WE.. are NOW looking for a new oil service. NB
NoBozo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 06:59 PM   #11
ITD

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoBozo View Post
My Fuel Oil company has INCOMPETENT "Technicians". We buy oil from them AND a maintenance contract. The maintenance is around $230 a year. They come out once a year and Clean the furnace. EVERY time they come.....they have to come back 2-3 times afterward to get the furnace running ..Again.

We declined their Cleaning Service the last three years. (We still pay the service fee because it covers "unforeseen incidents" which might require equipment replacement..) The furnace just keeps chugging along without their "service".

NOW: They are calling every now and then to get us to let them come out and service the furnace..AND NOW.. they want to check our fuel tank for LEAKS. Scare..Scare..Whiskey Tango Foxtrot.

BEWARE of Wolves looking for a new source of revinue....WE.. are NOW looking for a new oil service. NB
NB, an oil burner needs to be cleaned every year. Filters replaced (air and oil), nozzle replaced, electrodes cleaned and adjusted, heat exchanger cleaned of soot and inspected for cracks, combustion checked and adjusted. If you don't do this the furnace will eventually stop running, but more importantly as soot builds up the furnace becomes very inefficient wasting more oil each year. Find another company with good techs, not worth the added expense on oil or the potential safety issues that can arise as the unit plugs up with soot.
ITD is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ITD For This Useful Post:
NoBozo (09-05-2012)
Old 09-04-2012, 07:28 PM   #12
P-3 Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoBozo View Post
BEWARE of Wolves looking for a new source of revinue....WE.. are NOW looking for a new oil service.
Yup, we experienced this several years ago. The fuel tank inspection is a prelude to a pitch for tank insurance. Just say no.
P-3 Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 08:33 AM   #13
NoBozo

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMI Guy View Post
Yup, we experienced this several years ago. The fuel tank inspection is a prelude to a pitch for tank insurance. Just say no.
Thanks TMI. I had No Idea. Now it all makes sense. (Those Wascally Wepublicans) NB

Last edited by NoBozo; 09-05-2012 at 10:22 AM. Reason: (Sp)
Old 09-07-2012, 05:28 PM   #14
fatlazyless

Somewhat off-topic, but it concerns the installation of a non-vented Rinnai propane heater.

Is the installation of a non-vented propane heater allowed in a residential bedroom? Is this a state or local town, Town of Campton, NH, building code violation.

Some Rinnai propane heaters are direct vent which means they have thru-the-wall vent tubes or chimneys which bring in fresh air to support combustion, and expell the combustion fumes to the outside via an inner and outer tube(s) within the same chimney vent device.

Some other Rinnai propane heaters ar non-vented and do not have any vent to expell the combustion fumes to the outside. Are these legal for use in a bedroom? Can you smell any of the propane smell or combustion fumes in the heated air as you breath it in?

Does this come under the watchfull eye of the local fire dept or the local building code officer or what?
Old 09-09-2012, 08:05 PM   #15
TheProfessor

Any plumber with gas certification can hook one up assuming you already have gas or propane.

These small wall units have no fumes.

The only issue of concern from anyone is that these units use up oxygen. Any use should be in a well ventilated room.

These wall units usually are around 10,000 BTU which is not much but are good to heat a room.

I have been using one for ove 15 years. No issues.

Obviously, any town can have rules and such for these.
TheProfessor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 08:53 AM   #16
DickR

In general, unvented heaters that burn any fuel are not a good idea. While the thing may well work in some circumstances some of the time, there are two fundamental issues with them. First, as has been noted, they do consume oxygen and produce carbon dioxide, and proper ventilation of the room is a must. Depending on remembering to open a window or do something to ensure fresh air is risky. Further, there could be a tendency not to open a window in cold weather, when the need for heat is greatest. Even if there are safety devices and alarms that activate when the carbon monoxide level gets too high, burning a fuel within a room degrades air quality.

Second, an issue that is more important in a fairly tight house than in one that leaks air (and loses heat) badly, burning a fuel within the house introduces a lot of water vapor, which finds its way into the wall cavities and condenses, a condition that can lead to mold and rot.
DickR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 12:41 PM   #17
Happy Gourmand

Quote:
Originally Posted by DickR View Post
In general, unvented heaters that burn any fuel are not a good idea. While the thing may well work in some circumstances some of the time, there are two fundamental issues with them. First, as has been noted, they do consume oxygen and produce carbon dioxide, and proper ventilation of the room is a must. Depending on remembering to open a window or do something to ensure fresh air is risky. Further, there could be a tendency not to open a window in cold weather, when the need for heat is greatest. Even if there are safety devices and alarms that activate when the carbon monoxide level gets too high, burning a fuel within a room degrades air quality.

Second, an issue that is more important in a fairly tight house than in one that leaks air (and loses heat) badly, burning a fuel within the house introduces a lot of water vapor, which finds its way into the wall cavities and condenses, a condition that can lead to mold and rot.
Any of the reasons mentioned would be enough for me. I'll take mine vented, please.
Happy Gourmand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 12:46 PM   #18
tis

Thanked 1,381 Times in 957 Posts

We have had one for years that is ventless. However, I have never been comfortable with no venting. We don't use it a lot, it is up over a garage.
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 07:59 PM   #19
fatlazyless

My situation involves a rental studio apartment that is upstairs over an unheated two car garage in Campton and the landlady has hired someone to install a propane heater with a seperate meter to replace the existing electric baseboard heat which ran off the one meter for her single family house without a sub-meter.

Can she legally install an unvented propane heater in a rental studio apartment like this or does the State of NH building code require it to be a vented heater in this situation?

Rinnai unvented heaters cost quite a bit less than a Rinnai vented propane heater and are less costly to install as well.
Old 09-11-2012, 07:38 AM   #20
Rusty

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post
My situation involves a rental studio apartment that is upstairs over an unheated two car garage in Campton and the landlady has hired someone to install a propane heater with a seperate meter to replace the existing electric baseboard heat which ran off the one meter for her single family house without a sub-meter.

Can she legally install an unvented propane heater in a rental studio apartment like this or does the State of NH building code require it to be a vented heater in this situation?

Rinnai unvented heaters cost quite a bit less than a Rinnai vented propane heater and are less costly to install as well.
For ventless heaters, NH goes by the the International Code Council (ICC). Look at section 621.2 Prohibited use. It clearly states that a ventless heater cannot be used as it's sole source of heat.

SECTION 621 (IFGC) UNVENTED ROOM HEATERS

621.1 General.

Unvented room heaters shall be tested in accordance with ANSI Z21.11.2 and shall be installed in accordance with the conditions of the listing and the manufacturer’s installation instructions. Unvented room heaters utilizing fuels other than fuel gas shall be regulated by the International Mechanical Code.

621.2 Prohibited use.

One or more unvented room heaters shall not be used as the sole source of comfort heating in a dwelling unit.

621.3 Input rating.

Unvented room heaters shall not have an input rating in excess of 40,000 Btu/h (11.7 Kw).

621.4 Prohibited locations.

Unvented room heaters shall not be installed within occupancies in Groups A, E and I. The location of unvented room heaters shall also comply with Section 303.3.

621.5 Room or space volume.

The aggregate input rating of all unvented appliances installed in a room or space shall not exceed 20 Btu/h per cubic foot (207 W/m3) of volume of such room or space. Where the room or space in which the equipment is installed is directly connected to another room or space by a doorway, archway or other opening of comparable size that cannot be closed, the volume of such adjacent room or space shall be permitted to be included in the calculations.

621.6 Oxygen-depletion safety system.

Unvented room heaters shall be equipped with an oxygen-depletion-sensitive safety shutoff system. The system shall shut off the gas supply to the main and pilot burners when the oxygen in the surrounding atmosphere is depleted to the percent concentration specified by the manufacturer, but not lower than 18 percent. The system shall not incorporate field adjustment means capable of changing the set point at which the system acts to shut off the gas supply to the room heater.

621.7 Unvented decorative room heaters.

An unvented decorative room heater shall not be installed in a factory-built fireplace unless the fireplace system has been specifically tested, listed and labeled for such use in accordance with UL 127.

621.7.1 Ventless firebox enclosures.

Ventless firebox enclosures used with unvented decorative room heaters shall be listed as complying with ANSI Z21.91.
The Following User Says Thank You to Rusty For This Useful Post:
fatlazyless (09-11-2012)
Old 09-11-2012, 11:02 AM   #21
fatlazyless

Thanks very much for this reply with the info as printed from a building code regulations guide.......and I plan to get a copy to the landlady......hopefully before she goes ahead with the installation of the unvented heater...and etcetera etcetera etcetera .....

It's understandable how property owners who rent out residential apartments are trying to cut their expenses....especially with the extremely high NH price for electricity....but probably nobody would want to live all winter in a small studio apartment where the only source of heat was an unvented propane heater.

I just recently got rid of a 6000-btu Rinnai unvented propane heater by selling it off on Craigslist. Purchased it about three years ago from Amerigas-Laconia for sale, very low price...$99. .....if I remember correct.....and I was able to sell it on Craigslist for $250 a couple weeks ago....reading the Rinnai owners manuel.....it said to keep a window open for a supply of oxygen while using it......it was installed in a sunroom....and the odor of combusted propane or something was definately present in the heated air .....so I never used it much at all.....and was happy to get rid of it.

Have to wonder if a Rinnai unvented propane heater would set off a carbon monoxide alarm, or a propane gas detector alarm?

Yes, I have two Rinnai direct vent propane heaters now in use for more than ten years which have always worked perfect, and never needed any service......but I was very happy to get rid of a small Rinnai non-vented heater by selling it off on Craigslist ...ugh....to some guy who is supposedly a professional propane heater installer.....goodbye and good riddance to that unvented propane heater!!! I can only hope that the unit I just sold on Craigslist is not destined to be the same unit that gets installed in the studio garage apartment about five towns over in Campton.... now, that would be very ironic ... ...!
Old 09-11-2012, 11:56 AM   #22
BroadHopper

Default Fireplace conversion

When I moved into the unit, the fireplace would smoke all the time. I had a mason check the flue and it was determined the flue was not built properly and it was dificult to start a draft. Also the location of the unit in respect to the surroundings is also bad. I ask the condo association if I can put in a gas stove which requires a stainless steel flue. The association refused my request. A number of other unit owners installed ventless gas logs and are happy. I had a ventless gas log set burning for years in the fireplace. I never had a problem. It is not my primary source of heat. It is used for aesthetics and to warm up the main room on a cold day.
Old 09-11-2012, 04:20 PM   #23
fatlazyless

Since the ventless fireplace propane flaming log was set within an existing fireplace and chimney, even a chimney with poor draft, any minute hot fumes from combustion most likely just go up the chimney. Any fumes would be much warmer than the air already in the fireplace and chimney so they would rise up and travel up the chimney.

Unlike space heaters that are vented to the outside, unvented space heaters do not have a heat exchanger with the combusted propane getting exhausted to the outside; the heated warm air also contains any and all combusted propane residual fumes leftover from the burning of propane. The laws of physics still apply to all unvented space heaters, even ones made by Rinnai.
Old 09-11-2012, 05:34 PM   #24
Rusty

Quote:
I just recently got rid of a 6000-btu Rinnai unvented propane heater by selling it off on Craigslist. Purchased it about three years ago from Amerigas-Laconia for sale, very low price...$99. .....if I remember correct.....and I was able to sell it on Craigslist for $250 a couple weeks ago
6000 BTU Rinnai ventless heaters are still going for around $100-$110 today.

How did you sell your three year old heater for $250?
Old 09-11-2012, 06:20 PM   #25
NoBozo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
6000 BTU Rinnai ventless heaters are still going for around $100-$110 today.

How did you sell your three year old heater for $250?
Rusty: I suggest that FLL is an Excellent Business Man. Buy LOW..Sell HIGH. YUP, That's it. NB
The Following User Says Thank You to NoBozo For This Useful Post:
Rusty (09-11-2012)
Old 09-11-2012, 07:28 PM   #26
fatlazyless

....ok.....I was asking four hundred dollars and the buyer had phoned me about three times because he was an installer and had to check with his client customer......and then just when he was due to show up.....he calls again and says he googled the item and found one on ebay for 250......so I lowered my price to 250...... And he bought it without even turning it on to see how it works....and as I recall Amerigas-Laconia had discontinued installing them and drastically reduced the selling price down to either 99 or 199 about three years ago. The user's manual says to open a window and how it is not for use in a bedroom ......there's a very noticeable odor of propane or some combusted smells
in the heated air flow.
Old 09-11-2012, 07:52 PM   #27
ITD

Less you screwed that guy.
Old 09-12-2012, 07:35 AM   #28
fatlazyless

No, I didn't because this Rinnai non-vented heater sold for something like a list price of $550 new, about three years ago, and it was in perfect, like-new condition, all hooked up and working, plus he was an experienced propane heater installer, and he was very happy to buy it for 250 so he could install it for someone else.
Old 09-12-2012, 07:46 AM   #29
ITD

Quote:
No, I didn't because this Rinnai non-vented heater sold for something like a list price of $550 new, about three years ago, and it was in perfect, like-new condition, all hooked up and working, plus he was an experienced propane heater installer, and he was very happy to buy it for 250 so he could install it for someone else.
I don't know Less, sounds like two people screwed to me, you knew that new ones were being sold for 99 or 199 three years ago yet you sold it for 250. I mean I understand caveat emptor and all but what about the golden rule? Beyond that you didn't feel it was safe? I would have relegated it to the junk heap. I don't mean to dump on you, but just saying.
Old 09-12-2012, 11:37 AM   #30
fatlazyless

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITD View Post
I don't know Less, sounds like two people screwed to me, you knew that new ones were being sold for 99 or 199 three years ago yet you sold it for 250. I mean I understand caveat emptor and all but what about the golden rule? Beyond that you didn't feel it was safe? I would have relegated it to the junk heap. I don't mean to dump on you, but just saying.
What happened is that Amerigas-Laconia had about three of these small Rinnai non-vented propane space heaters at drastically reduced prices and they said they would not install them. List price was $550, and I paid either 99 or 199, knowing there must be a reason why they were so cheap and when I asked why Amerigas was no longer installing them, was told they were not happy with them.

I recently sold it to an experienced installer, and the sale included the Rinnai owner's manual which instructs to keep a window open for the fresh air, and not to install it in a bedroom.
Old 09-12-2012, 11:57 AM   #31
Rusty

Quote:
What happened is that Amerigas-Laconia had about three of these small Rinnai non-vented propane space heaters at drastically reduced prices and they said they would not install them. List price was $550, and I paid either 99 or 199, knowing there must be a reason why they were so cheap and when I asked why Amerigas was no longer installing them, was told they were not happy with them.

I recently sold it to an experienced installer, and the sale included the Rinnai owner's manual which instructs to keep a window open for the fresh air, and not to install it in a bedroom.
So now that "experienced installer" will turn around and sell the heater for close to retail price to someone who thinks that they are getting a good deal.
It's probably some nice elderly lady who saved her hard earned money so she could have heat in the winter.

A 6000 BTU ventless unit will have to run full blast 24-7 to keep a room warm during the middle of winter; especially when you have to open a window to let some nice "COLD" fresh air in.

Do ya have any trouble sleeping at night FLL?
Old 09-12-2012, 12:15 PM   #32
fatlazyless

I had it in a sunroom that measures about 10 x 12', am very happy to be rid of it, and now have a very nice 35-dollar DeLonghi 1500 watt, ceramic technology, space heater from Lowe's, which so far has been much much better........no smelly Rinnai propane heated air to be breathing.........pull the plug and it is definately OFF .......... thankyou and goodnight everyone!
Old 09-12-2012, 12:38 PM   #33
Rusty

This dealer has posted a "Very Important Notice" about Gas Ventless Heaters:

http://home.gwi.net/rinnaiheater/
Attached Images

fatlazyless (09-13-2012)
Old 09-13-2012, 11:14 AM   #34
fatlazyless

Thanks again for posting this with the safety yellow color. I plan to make color copies of it and leave one with my Campton landlady, the Campton Fire Dept and the Campton building code inspector.......they all probably already know all about it .....but it never hurts to rattle their cage a wee bit.....just for drills....and hopefully before the landlady has an unvented heater installed as opposed to a more costly vented propane heater...an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure....as everyone knows....

This notice sounds like it came from Al the discount Rinnai heater guy over in Brunswick, Maine ........ way-to-go Al !
Old 09-13-2012, 11:34 AM   #35
BroadHopper

Default Convinced the Condo Association

Oh boy, How am I going to convinced a bunch of old farts that we need to vent the gas logs outside? I can't open the flue as the fireplace log installer sealed it shut and insulated it. Also I wanted to put in a high efficiency boiler system. The installer says you can't vent it up the existing chimney as the gas is caustic to the masonry. The association refused to have me vent it out the side of the unit as requested by the boiler installer.
I do have a carbon monoxide sensor in the same room as the gas logs. I never heard it go off.
Old 09-13-2012, 12:15 PM   #36
Happy Gourmand

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadHopper View Post
Oh boy, How am I going to convinced a bunch of old farts that we need to vent the gas logs outside? I can't open the flue as the fireplace log installer sealed it shut and insulated it. Also I wanted to put in a high efficiency boiler system. The installer says you can't vent it up the existing chimney as the gas is caustic to the masonry. The association refused to have me vent it out the side of the unit as requested by the boiler installer.
I do have a carbon monoxide sensor in the same room as the gas logs. I never heard it go off.
You probably won't hear it when it goes off because you might be ummmm sleeping....
Happy Gourmand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 01:03 PM   #37
Rusty

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadHopper View Post
Is it written in the Associations By-laws, Covenants, or Conditions and Restrictions that you can't vent the boiler out the side of the unit?

The association might not like it, but if it isn't written somewhere that you can't, or it violates a Federal, State, or Local Code, then just tell them that you are going to do it. All heck will break loose but at least you will get their attention that you need some guidance in the matter.

I would never live in an association because they suppress some of the rights that are given to us in the United states Constitution.
You can't do this and you can't do that...Good for them, I'll have my own private piece of property and live the way I want to live...within the Law that is.
I could never figure out why someone would pay an association to put restrictions on how I live.

Does everyone have to be in bed by a certain time in your association?
BroadHopper (09-14-2012)
Old 09-14-2012, 07:50 AM   #38
fatlazyless

On September 17, 1994, tennis champion Vitas Gerulaitis, age 40, died breathing the carbon monoxide fumes from a faulty propane heater while sleeping in a spare guest bedroom at someone's home on Long Island, NY. Too too bad ......
Old 09-14-2012, 02:51 PM   #39
BroadHopper

Default Food for thought

I could recomend to these fuddy duddys to put the gas logs in their fireplace and leave them on overnight. Then the association will have a new election.

Then, again, I could go to the slammer for being a mass murderer?
Old 09-15-2012, 02:47 PM   #40
songkrai

Below is one persons take on this.

"Should anyone care to look at something that I like to call “reality”, here are some numbers for you from an agency called the CDC, perhaps you’ve heard of them.

"Each year in the U.S. around 2500 people die from carbon monoxide poisoning. Of that average 2500 people annually, 2000 of those are suicides. Out of the other 500 unintentional deaths, 200 of those are from heating equipment.

Now for the good part; out of the 200 deaths from heating equipment around 5% are from propane burning equipment.

“Hello” that means that 95% of those deaths are caused by burning fuels other than propane.

So answers like: (Absolutely, many people die each year from carbon monoxide poisoning from propane heaters) should be accompanied by a disclaimer that many more people die from heating fuels other than propane.""

LINK

And more.

"While he was snoozing, a faulty swimming pool heater seeped carbon dioxide into his bedroom. An autopsy later proved that the lethal gas had entered Vitas’s bloodstream and killed him."

LINK
songkrai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 03:46 PM   #41
songkrai

Quote:

Back to the original post.

What was the solution or end result of all of this?
Old 09-16-2012, 07:26 PM   #42
fatlazyless

If you want to learn more about the carbon monoxide death of tennis champion, Vitas Gerulaitis, in 1994, then you should google " Gerulaitis Death Attributed to Short Pipe" for a May 25, 1995 newspaper article in the New York Times.

One night prior to Gerulaitis' death, a different tennis person slept in the same guest bedroom at the Long island home and supposedly avoided a similar problem with carbon monoxide because he slept with a window open.

With the Rinnai non-vented heater that I was able to unload on Craigslist-NH, the user manual instructed not to use it in a bedroom, and to keep a window open (presumably to support more complete combustion or something like that).
Old 09-16-2012, 08:35 PM   #43
songkrai

Quote:
Originally Posted by songkrai View Post
Below is one persons take on this.

"Should anyone care to look at something that I like to call “reality”, here are some numbers for you from an agency called the CDC, perhaps you’ve heard of them.

"Each year in the U.S. around 2500 people die from carbon monoxide poisoning. Of that average 2500 people annually, 2000 of those are suicides. Out of the other 500 unintentional deaths, 200 of those are from heating equipment.

Now for the good part; out of the 200 deaths from heating equipment around 5% are from propane burning equipment.

“Hello” that means that 95% of those deaths are caused by burning fuels other than propane.

So answers like: (Absolutely, many people die each year from carbon monoxide poisoning from propane heaters) should be accompanied by a disclaimer that many more people die from heating fuels other than propane.""
LINK

"Also answers like: (If you note large propane heaters are not legal in bedrooms) are misleading as well. If you refer to common mechanical codes for any area, they all contain provisions for confined space installation of any heating appliance, not just propane heaters. Confined space installation is based on the BTU rating of the appliance; the fuel the appliance uses is irrelevant."
Old 09-16-2012, 09:34 PM   #44
Rusty

Quote:
Originally Posted by songkrai View Post
LINK

"Also answers like: (If you note large propane heaters are not legal in bedrooms) are misleading as well. If you refer to common mechanical codes for any area, they all contain provisions for confined space installation of any heating appliance, not just propane heaters. Confined space installation is based on the BTU rating of the appliance; the fuel the appliance uses is irrelevant."
Unvented propane heaters are not regulated by the Internaional Mechanical Codes. They come under the International Fuel Gas Code. http://publicecodes.cyberregs.com/ic...2_6_sec021.htm

I don't think that anyone has said that they are illegal in NH, however they must be treated different then vented systems. The IFGC does not allow an unvented propane heater to be the sole source of heat regardless of btu's. I wonder why?

Unvented room heaters shall not be installed within occupancies in Groups A, E and I. I wonder why?
Old 09-18-2012, 10:25 AM   #45
CateP

Default Update

The end result of this situation was that I ended up using the installation guys who worked for the store where I bought the gas stove. I couldn't find another reliable solution.

Two guys came to the house and drilled a big hole in an outer wall, assembled the vent kit, siliconed the outside, assembled the inside pipe and attached to the outside vent, showed me how to work the remote and left. Less than 2 hours...$675.00. (They say they installed up to 120 stoves a month.)

This did NOT include the gas line install and hook up. That was another $450.

I'm thinking that the owner of the store where I bought this gas stove is doing very well and probably owns several houses in premiere resort locations throughout the United States and Europe.
Old 09-18-2012, 04:56 PM   #46
chipj29

I agree that it was an expensive install. However, in my opinion you can't put a price tag on your safety. I would never consider installing something like that myself, just out of fear of doing something wrong and causing a fire, or CO fumes in the house.
Old 09-18-2012, 06:58 PM   #47
brk-lnt

There are dozens of anecdotes around about these kinds of situations, but the summary is that you're paying for the expertise as much as the labor.

I think you found, based on your calling around for quotes, that there is no "cheap" and reliable option out there. Given that you used a reputable business, they were likely also bonded and insured, things which also add to their overhead.

Good. Cheap. Fast. Pick any two.
Old 09-18-2012, 07:50 PM   #48
fatlazyless

A ten dollar tubing cutter, a fifteen dollar flaring tool, and a three dollar little bottle of spray-on leak detector, plus some 3/8" soft copper tubing, and a couple flare fittings and shutoffs and someone who is determined to do it correct and safe can definitely get it done.

To erase any self-doubt, call your propane supplier and ask them to do a pressure test after your own installation work on your own residence is complete. You can be sure that the propane service guy who does the pressure test will also be right there to point out anything unsafe, and offer to repair it for $103/hour Amerigas-Laconia labor rate.

If you were unaware, propane is very similar to gasoline except that is is a gas and not a liquid, after it leaves the big propane storage tank at your house.
Old 09-19-2012, 02:06 PM   #49
Rusty

Quote:
The end result of this situation was that I ended up using the installation guys who worked for the store where I bought the gas stove. I couldn't find another reliable solution.

Two guys came to the house and drilled a big hole in an outer wall, assembled the vent kit, siliconed the outside, assembled the inside pipe and attached to the outside vent, showed me how to work the remote and left. Less than 2 hours...$675.00. (They say they installed up to 120 stoves a month.)

This did NOT include the gas line install and hook up. That was another $450.

I'm thinking that the owner of the store where I bought this gas stove is doing very well and probably owns several houses in premiere resort locations throughout the United States and Europe.
Thanks for letting us know how you finally got it hooked up.

Good luck with your new stove fireplace. I love mine.