Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Lake Issues > Boating Issues > Speed Limits
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-26-2008, 06:06 PM   #1
NoBozo

Default The New Law

My First Post: Sitting in my armchair, I'm wondering... has anyone actually READ the New Speed Limit Law?

The reason I ask is sometimes a New Law results in some "Unintended Consequences".

Does the New Law mention calender dates for when this law will be applied and enforced..ie Memorial day to labor Day..? OR something like that.

Consider this: There are Float Planes (Airplanes) that land and take off from the lake in "certain areas" during times when the lake is WATER. During the winter the lake is FROZEN and "other" ..vehicles use the lake for transportation. Snowmobiles, Iceboats, and maybe Planes on skis.

How will this "New Law" affect those operations? NoBozo
Old 06-26-2008, 06:29 PM   #2
Airwaves

Default Welcome to the Winnipesaukee forum!

NoBozo, This is a great forum and I think I can speak for everyone that we're glad to have you. I've learned a lot from reading posts here.

To answer your questions;
Quote:
My First Post: Sitting in my armchair, I'm wondering... has anyone actually READ the New Speed Limit Law?

The reason I ask is sometimes a New Law results in some "Unintended Consequences".

Does the New Law mention calender dates for when this law will be applied and enforced..ie Memorial day to labor Day..? OR something like that.

Consider this: There are Float Planes (Airplanes) that land and take off from the lake in "certain areas" during times when the lake is WATER. During the winter the lake is FROZEN and "other" ..vehicles use the lake for transportation. Snowmobiles, Iceboats, and maybe Planes on skis.

How will this "New Law" affect those operations? NoBozo
First, here is a link to the TEXT OF THE LAW as approved by the full House and Senate and that Governor Lynch now says he will sign.

The law will go into effect 1 January 2009 and remain in effect until 1 January 2011. Enforcement will be 24/7 but obviously only during boating season. This law does not address vehicles that travel over the ice.

Float Planes have their own regulations and are not impacted by this new law.

I for one, as you may have gathered from my previous posts, believe that this law is a drain on resources that is completely unnecessary and we'd be better served addressing the funding and enforcement issues already facing the NH Marine Patrol.

Again welcome and jump right into the water, it's great!
AW

Last edited by Airwaves; 06-26-2008 at 06:30 PM. Reason: removing the "L" from January! opps
Old 06-26-2008, 06:47 PM   #3
NoBozo

Thanks AIRWAVES for your Warm Welcome. I have been reading the board for awhile and find it very interesting and more lively that some other boards that I visit. The more ..."categorys" I visit, the more I like it. I'm retired so I have the time.

My wife and I have been coming up to the lake for over a decade..we used to travel on vacation. Now we have settled down, renting a cottage and having our small boat at the dock. NoBozo
Old 06-26-2008, 09:22 PM   #4
jrc

The speed limit part of this site can be a little rough and tumble, the moderator has a slower trigger finger here.

The rest of the site is a much more friendly place. You can have a lot of fun here and learn a lot.

We've been discussing speed limits on this forum for several years. The clear consensus is that the law does not apply to autos or snowmobiles on ice or to airplanes on ice or water. Pretty much it just applies to boats in the water.