Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Support Forum > Site Support Forum
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-19-2016, 08:40 AM   #1
HAMPTONS

Default Computer help

looking for help with my laptop. constantly getting pop up's from tech suport that say the computer has become infected and i need to call their number right away.The only way i can close the pop up is by shutting down the computer.Any help would be appreciated or recommendation for repair shop in the Laconia area. Thank you
HAMPTONS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 09:03 AM   #2
dave603

Clear your browser cache. Run whatever virus program you have installed.
Download a free program called CCleaner.
Run both the analyse and the register programs.
it should clean it up.
( only take the free program on Ccleaner )

That's a pretty common scam infection.
dave603 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dave603 For This Useful Post:
HAMPTONS (05-19-2016)
Old 05-19-2016, 09:25 AM   #3
JPC

Unhappy Safe Mode

I had this happen to me and you can't access anything other then the prompt for money. Bummer!

I had my local computer tech talk me thru powering up into safe mode then running your malware/virous programs.

1) Boot/powerup computer and press F8 constantly until Safe windoe appears.

2) Use arrow keys to select Safe with Network.

3) Once window icons appear select you virous/malware and update them then run them.

It worked for me about 4yrs ago. Hope it works for you
JPC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JPC For This Useful Post:
HAMPTONS (05-19-2016)
Old 05-19-2016, 09:47 AM   #4
Pineedles

This is a link to Malwarebytes download program. Use the free version.

https://www.malwarebytes.org/mwb-download/
Pineedles is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Pineedles For This Useful Post:
HAMPTONS (05-19-2016)
Old 05-19-2016, 10:03 AM   #5
webmaster

Thanked 3,691 Times in 819 Posts

As an IT manager, the first thing I do is download and install the Malwarebytes free version. Restart your computer in safe mode and run a full scan.

Some malware will shut down Malwarebytes and other protection. If Malwarebytes keeps crashing when you do a scan download and run rkill. That will shut down the malware processes so they can be removed.

This doesn't always work but it's a great way to start. The premium version of Malwarebytes is pro-active blocking threats and is well worth the cost of the subscription.
webmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to webmaster For This Useful Post:
BroadHopper (05-20-2016), HAMPTONS (05-19-2016), Skip (05-19-2016)
Sponsored Links
Old 05-19-2016, 10:24 AM   #6
jbolty

Whenever disinfecting a computer it's best to not have it connected to the internet. This will help prevent reinfecting and from the malware calling home. Download the tools you need on another PC and transfer with a usb stick.
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jbolty For This Useful Post:
HAMPTONS (05-19-2016)
Old 05-19-2016, 12:58 PM   #7
JasonG

back up your files.
factory restore the operating system.
fresh pc, no malware.

Plus you should see performance improve.
JasonG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JasonG For This Useful Post:
HAMPTONS (05-21-2016)
Old 05-19-2016, 02:02 PM   #8
Rusty

Do the following to see if a program was loaded on your computer that brings up a window that says you are infected:

1. Open your “Control panel”
2. Click on “Programs and features”

See if a new program has recently been added that you don't recognize. It should be at the top of the list. Uninstall it if it appears to be the one.
HAMPTONS (05-21-2016)
Old 05-19-2016, 03:25 PM   #9
Skip

Default Don's the expert....

Some good advice here, but the webmasters' is the way that I would proceed given your predicament.

Thanks for the great advice Don!
Skip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 03:25 PM   #10
Merrymeeting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
Do the following to see if a program was loaded on your computer that brings up a window that says you are infected:

1. Open your “Control panel”
2. Click on “Programs and features”

See if a new program has recently been added that you don't recognize. It should be at the top of the list. Uninstall it if it appears to be the one.
The issue they are seeing won't show up here. It is either buried in their cookies or as a browser add-in. The earlier advice to run CCleaner and/or Malwarebytes will most likely fix it.

(Jason, while it would fix it, your suggestion might be a bit extreme to fix this one, and doing that is often beyond the abilities of the average user)
Merrymeeting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 07:10 PM   #11
Mr. Prop-B-Gone

If Malwarebytes doesn't fix it, you can always try a system restore. This will bring your OS back to where it was a month or two ago. This will eliminate any programs installed in that period, including malware, but will leave your documents intact. The process is different depending on which version of Windows you are using, so follow the instructions carefully.
Mr. Prop-B-Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 08:32 PM   #12
NoBozo

Default Dell 8900

I just ordered a new Dell XPS 8900 on line....From DELL...I think. The Dell website couldn't suck enough. I've been trying to order this computer for a week. I couldn't get a confirmation as to what I had ordered. ..I couldn't complete the transaction.

SO: The website was "pecking" on me while I was looking around tonight .

I was becoming VERY frustrated. They popped an 800 number....SO I called. First Up.. I asked where the person on the line was located. INDIA. I hung up. Two minutes later my phone rang.

I guess I am GETTING A DELL. They sent a confirming email that I can't decipher. I hope it will be something close to what I think I am getting...Or something.

OH..BTW..I am getting a FREE.. 32" Samsung TV that I DON'T WANT.

OH The F'in Humanities MB

PS: For those of you who may not know: IE9... and Vista (Myself) will NOT be supported my Microsoft after April next year. You need to get a new computer. Your old computer hardware will not be compatible with the new software. NB

Last edited by NoBozo; 06-13-2016 at 09:14 PM.
NoBozo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 05:04 AM   #13
jeffk

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoBozo View Post
I just ordered a new Dell XPS 8900 on line....From DELL...I think. The Dell website couldn't suck enough. I've been trying to order this computer for a week. I couldn't get a confirmation as to what I had ordered. ..I couldn't complete the transaction.

SO: The website was "pecking" on me while I was looking around tonight .

I was becoming VERY frustrated. They popped an 800 number....SO I called. First Up.. I asked where the person on the line was located. INDIA. I hung up. Two minutes later my phone rang.

I guess I am GETTING A DELL. They sent a confirming email that I can't decipher. I hope it will be something close to what I think I am getting...Or something.

OH..BTW..I am getting a FREE.. 32" Samsung TV that I DON'T WANT.

OH The F'in Humanities MB

PS: For those of you who may not know: IE9... and Vista (Myself) will NOT be supported my Microsoft after April next year. You need to get a new computer. Your old computer hardware will not be compatible with the new software. NB
Good luck.

Part (or all) of your problem with the web site might have been because you are using outdated software and hardware. It's like putting premium hamburger into the freezer, taking it out and cooking it 6 years later and expecting it to taste good.

I have been running Windows 7 and I have noticed strange little behaviors that indicated it was reaching its expiration date, especially using Internet Explorer; videos that wouldn't play, web sites that didn't work smoothly. I switched to Chrome and that helped but I knew that time was running out. The world out there that we interface to keeps moving on. Old operating systems don't keep up.

I just upgraded to Windows 10. So far so good. It's faster and the interface can be kept very similar to Windows 7 so the learning curve isn't too bad. Some good new features.

When I buy computers, I buy fairly top end. Why? So that when the OS upgrades, I am not frozen out. This means a very good, although perhaps not the "ultimate" Intel CPU available. LOTS of memory and memory expansion possibilities (because future memory will be even cheaper) (Also a dirty little secret, an OS may "run" with 4 GB of memory but it will perform way better with 16 GB, faster and even more reliable). A BIG disk, because you will always need more storage. Reasonable graphics capabilities. I am not a gamer so I don't need top end. Lots of USB 3 ports.

Result, I had plenty of horsepower to go from Windows 7 to Windows 10. About 6 months ago I updated to a SSD for my primary drive. VERY nice speed pickup, the system uses less power, runs cooler and quieter because the fan is needed less. Prices have come down on SSDs, although still more than a hard disk. I won't buy another system with a HDD as a primary drive. Because the SSD is so fast , the Windows 10 upgrade was really quick.

I also upgraded from DSL to 35 Mbs cable internet, like going from a garden hose to a fire hose. The Windows 10 download only took about 15 minutes instead of hours.

Have fun with your new system. If you really get it.
jeffk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 09:09 AM   #14
NoBozo

My current computer is a Dell Studio XPS 435. It's seven years old this month. It's been essentially trouble free until maybe a month ago when it started "acting up"..just as you described. Locking Up seems to be the predominate problem...power fluctuations..going from a normal 147-153 watts up to as high as 210-240 watts. (Includes monitor) My Cyber Power battery backup has a real time power consumption LCD display. Power goes up..the fan ramps up..then lock up.

EDIT: If they send me the TV, I think I'll give it to the Senior Center up the road from me.
Old 06-15-2016, 06:27 AM   #15
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,088 Times in 782 Posts
Default Dell Inspiron 15

My current machine is 9 years old. This is my first laptop as previous computers were HP desktops. The Inspiron was a black Monday special directly from Dell.

The computer originally came with Vista OS and 2GB of memory. Today I have 4GB memory and Windows 10 and it is more robust than ever!

The battery was failing a few years ago and was replaced along with extra memory. I am very pleased as to the longevity of the computer. Usually I have problems with computers when they hit the 5 years mark.

One thing I did other than keep the OS up to date was to rely on AMC from Iobits to keep the computer healthy, especially the drivers update. I am told by IT experts, normally Vista machines are not Windows 10 candidates because of the drivers.

Good luck with your machine. Let me know if you have other issues. I had computers since the DEC Rainbow. I was one of the first IT expert for a major defense electronics industry.

Last edited by BroadHopper; 06-15-2016 at 06:28 AM. Reason: clarity
BroadHopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 07:55 AM   #16
donmac

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadHopper View Post
... I had computers since the DEC Rainbow....
That made me smile. My first real engineering job was developing the operating system for the DECmate II that was released alongside the Rainbow and Pro.

I have had many computers over the years, but about 5 years ago my when my kids were in college, they convinced me to try a Mac. I bought a Mac Air and now doubt I will ever go back to a PC. I have never installed any anti-virus software and have come to treat my mac as an appliance. It just works. I rarely even reboot. It has been by far the most reliable and pleasant computer I have ever owned. And it still looks great. I am a consultant and use this little laptop all day every day. When working at home it often powers 2 large monitors.

Anyway, I finally understand what all those crazy mac people that have worked for me off and on over the years were going on about. I want a new mac but this littler bugger will not die. If you want trouble-free computing, consider a mac. Commercial over.
BroadHopper (06-16-2016)
Old 06-15-2016, 06:21 PM   #17
NoBozo

Thanks guys for the input.

I ordered the New Dell 8900 on Monday night. I got a (RoboCall..Telephone) today: (Wednesday) The computer... AND the TV will arrive tomorrow..no time indicated. One is via UPS and the other FedEx. They said they need a signature..SO that means they don't want to leave it on the doorstep.

This was the almost basic XPS 8900 listed on the dell website for $1049+. I added Office 365 and an upgraded Video card....and something else which I can't remember.

Funny thing is..the AUDIO card is now "Integrated"...even in the upgraded TOP of the line $2200 XPS 8900. There are NO Optional sound cards. Apparently, Audio cards are a thing of the past. My current (Old) computer has a Creative X-Fi Sound Blaster Titanium that I ordered with the previous XPS Dell, seven years ago. I like it.

Tomorrow will tell... NB

Last edited by NoBozo; 06-15-2016 at 06:53 PM.
Old 06-15-2016, 08:33 PM   #18
jeffk

Quote:
I had computers since the DEC Rainbow.
My first machine was the original IBM PC, no hard disk, just 2 - 5 1/4 inch, 160 KB floppy disks. Hard to imagine an operating system fitting on a floppy disk. The Windows 10 download image is 3 GB, 18,750 times bigger! Of course we DO get a lot of pretty pictures from the new systems.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jeffk For This Useful Post:
BroadHopper (06-16-2016), jbolty (06-21-2016)
Old 06-16-2016, 06:11 AM   #19
BroadHopper

Default Zork

I still have Zork and RTZ running on my Windows 10. Grandkids thinks they are pretty cool! I also have Dark Seed. The games would not run under Vista or Windows 7. I enjoy returning every once in a while.

I use to work with John McHugh and Glen ? from DEC and MIT to established the first LAN in a commercial site. Hooked up a number of Rainbows, COMPAQ and IBM PCs using telephone cables to talk to each other and a PDP10. Using RADIC modems we were able to connect to the WEB to 'talk' to MIT and DOD.

I also work with Don Leckie to establish the base for a spreadsheet program that eventually became LOTUS via NCPCALC. Enjoy working with the pioneers of the computer industry!
Old 06-16-2016, 09:53 AM   #20
SIKSUKR

Quote:
I also work with Don Leckie to establish the base for a spreadsheet program that eventually became LOTUS via NCPCALC. Enjoy working with the pioneers of the computer industry!
Ahh, my first experience with software was on Lotus 123 spreadsheet and I was so impressed that numbers could be automatically calculated like that.
Old 06-20-2016, 07:02 PM   #21
NoBozo

I got the computer, a day early, AND the TV that I told DELL I didn't want. ,...The TV is Lookin at me every time I go up the stairs..It's on the landing, unopened.

My wife went to her hairdresser the other day and discovered that the hairdressers daughter got the same Samsung 32" (720) TV for buying a new phone. I saw a Flash of something on TV this morning about a FREE Samsung 32 for something... I guess Samsung made too many (720) 32" TVs.

Now I have another "E-Waste" item to dispose of. Ironic... NB
Old 06-20-2016, 08:07 PM   #22
brk-lnt

Quote:
I got the computer, a day early, AND the TV that I told DELL I didn't want. ,...The TV is Lookin at me every time I go up the stairs..It's on the landing, unopened.

My wife went to her hairdresser the other day and discovered that the hairdressers daughter got the same Samsung 32" (720) TV for buying a new phone. I saw a Flash of something on TV this morning about a FREE Samsung 32 for something... I guess Samsung made too many (720) 32" TVs.

A 720p 32" TV? Those must be leftovers from 2011.
Old 06-21-2016, 07:24 AM   #23
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default Not so fast!

Quote:

1. Garage sale item. 32 inch tv never used, box unopened. 2. Bedroom TV: great to fall asleep to, or a spare TV for sitting on the back porch, outdoor TV for the RV, etc. Don't always have to have the highest tech TV on the planet.
Old 06-21-2016, 07:31 AM   #24
HellRaZoR004

Quote:
Originally Posted by upthesaukee View Post
1. Garage sale item. 32 inch tv never used, box unopened. 2. Bedroom TV: great to fall asleep to, or a spare TV for sitting on the back porch, outdoor TV for the RV, etc. Don't always have to have the highest tech TV on the planet.
3. Put it on the curb and say free. Someone will gladly take it off your hands.
HellRaZoR004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 08:02 AM   #25
webmaster

Quote:

There are a lot of these on eBay, mostly the UN32J4000 model. Post it for $100 and you can get enough for a nice dinner out instead of throwing it away.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Samsung-32-U...-/381663376375
Old 06-21-2016, 08:21 AM   #26
BroadHopper

Default Donate!

To the nearest assisted living or nursing home. You will be amaze there are still a lot of tube TV around!
Old 06-21-2016, 09:43 AM   #27
NoBozo

Quote:
Originally Posted by webmaster View Post
There are a lot of these on eBay, mostly the UN32J4000 model. Post it for $100 and you can get enough for a nice dinner out instead of throwing it away.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Samsung-32-U...-/381663376375
YUP, That's the one. NB
Old 06-21-2016, 10:45 AM   #28
Rusty

Quote:
I got the computer, a day early....
Everything go OK with the set-up of your new Dell?
Old 06-21-2016, 02:08 PM   #29
NoBozo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
Everything go OK with the set-up of your new Dell?
The new Dell is unpacked and sitting in the corner. It still has the plastic "seals" over the optical drive(s). I haven't plugged it in yet.

I only ordered one combo optical drive but there seems to be a trap door for a second one...It may be empty. There was no packing slip in the box so I have no idea exactly what's inside the case. Some stuff was listed in the confirming "Cryptic" email. The important stuff was listed by name and number, (on the outside of the box on the shipping label) AND in the email, but all the prices listed were less than I expected. The Free TV was listed as $199. I'm guessing that the whole thing is some kind of Dell accounting scheme. Overall, I paid about $200 less than I expected.

Its been 7 years since I set up the current Studio XPS 435 so with my lack of Current knowledge, I'm thinking I'll likely take both computers in to my computer repair guy to set it up and transfer the important stuff.

Maybe he'll take the TV in lieu of cash. I doubt it though. He's likely in business to generate cash..not barter.

Either way, I'm just not looking forward to the hassle. Maybe next week. The current computer has been working acceptably since the new one arrived. NB

PS: The new computer is much more powerful than the old one but is 3 inches shorter in height..16" Vs. 19" high.
The Following User Says Thank You to NoBozo For This Useful Post:
Rusty (06-21-2016)
Old 06-21-2016, 03:15 PM   #30
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,957 Times in 1,209 Posts

Optical drive(s)? You get a floppy drive, too?!

Sent from my XT1528 using Tapatalk
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 06:03 PM   #31
NoBozo

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkxingu View Post
Optical drive(s)? You get a floppy drive, too?!

Sent from my XT1528 using Tapatalk
Yes: Optical Drives. I think they are the drives that read/write to CDs.

I haven't seen Floppy Drives in over a decade. NB
Old 06-22-2016, 10:48 AM   #32
brk-lnt

Quote:
Yes: Optical Drives. I think they are the drives that read/write to CDs.

I haven't seen Floppy Drives in over a decade. NB
He was implying that optical drives are as outdated as floppies (which is true).
thinkxingu (06-22-2016)
Old 06-22-2016, 12:55 PM   #33
NoBozo

Quote:
Originally Posted by brk-lnt View Post
He was implying that optical drives are as outdated as floppies (which is true).
Just goes to show how up to date I am.

I have heard that "hard drives" were on their way out (going solid state) but hadn't heard anything about optical drives. Dell didn't offer any options that I recognized.

Dell didn't offer any options to hard drives either. OR.. maybe they did, but in a much higher end computer. The Really Big Dell XPS 8900 was double the cost of the one I got. NB

EDIT: The Dell XPS 8900 Special Edition starting @ $2200 has a solid state HD...AND... an old fashioned 7200rpm hard drive.
Old 06-28-2016, 08:01 PM   #34
NoBozo

Default Dell XPS 8900 Update

I just got my new DELL XPS 8900 back from my computer guy who set things up. OMG... Windows 10 OMG. Internet "Edge" ..(IE-12.) No intuitiveness in this operating system. Graduating from Vista.

BTW: It doesn't help when your NEW keyboard is BAD.... Google, Search, etc...wouldn't except keystrokes. Changed back to my OLD keyboard. NOW I can type in text in search boxes. It works. More later... NB

EDIT: This is kinda like LUCAS Electrics back in the 60s. Maybe the old part is better than the Brand New part you just bought..??

Last edited by NoBozo; 06-28-2016 at 08:43 PM.
Old 06-29-2016, 05:42 AM   #35
jeffk

Quote:
EDIT: This is kinda like LUCAS Electrics back in the 60s. Maybe the old part is better than the Brand New part you just bought..??
Unfortunately with most basic keyboards costing $10, there is no quality control. It just not financially worth it to the companies. Their attitude is, just send them another one.

But soon we will all be talking to our computers and our grandkids will be asking "What's a keyboard?".
Old 06-29-2016, 09:32 AM   #36
SIKSUKR

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffk View Post
But soon we will all be talking to our computers and our grandkids will be asking "What's a keyboard?".
I actually do almost all my input now on my phone without using a "keyboard".
Old 06-29-2016, 10:58 AM   #37
webmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffk View Post
We already have very good voice recognition available (it's built in to Windows 7 and higher) yet most of us still use the keyboard. It will be a long time before the ability to silently interact with our computer goes away. I work in an office with about 35 people. If everyone had to talk to their computers while writing emails and editing documents it would be a noisy mess with too much time being spent listening to what others are doing.

On the other hand, at home I love my Amazon Echo and talk to it all the time. However, I'm just asking questions, not doing things that I would prefer to keep private.

I'll be keeping my keyboard.
Old 06-29-2016, 12:58 PM   #38
SIKSUKR

On top of that, there is no way you could navigate a screen with voice. There are dozens of places to click or touch. How would you tell it where to go?
Old 06-29-2016, 01:36 PM   #39
jeffk

Default Solution to a noisy workplace

The noise doesn't seem to bother people walking around with cell phones but maybe this would do the trick?
Attached Images

Old 06-30-2016, 06:38 PM   #40
NoBozo

Default New Dell XPS 8900 (Core i7 ,Gen 6, Windows 10)

I'm starting to warm up to this. The places I used to go are starting to look like before....Hunting..pecking..exploring...re-sizing.. Re-installing support software (from Online). I'm talking software that supports outside hardware like printers, sound systems, UPS, etc. They were out of date anyhow...certainly relative to Windows 10. It may not be a catastrophe after all.

BTW: This seven years newer, and much more powerful computer, seems to use 91 Watts of power during "normal" operations. (including the Old Monitor and Cable Modem draw.) The old Studio XPS 435 used 153+ Watts. NB
Old 07-14-2016, 06:10 PM   #41
NoBozo

Default Windows 10

I'm still diddling around with my new Windows 10 computer. (Dell XPS 8900)

Today I read an article in Consumer Reports Aug 2016, Page 7. They indicated that Microsoft has been downloading Windows 10 to unsuspecting computers and installing Windows 10...without the owners permission. Maybe masquerading as a Windows Update.

I guess the recipients are not happy. Replacing an entire operating system without the owners knowledge seems a bit OVER THE TOP to me. Am I interpreting this correctly ??? NB
Old 07-14-2016, 07:06 PM   #42
Slickcraft

Thanked 1,993 Times in 910 Posts

Quote:
I'm still diddling around with my new Windows 10 computer. (Dell XPS 8900)

Today I read an article in Consumer Reports Aug 2016, Page 7. They indicated that Microsoft has been downloading Windows 10 to unsuspecting computers and installing Windows 10...without the owners permission. Maybe masquerading as a Windows Update.

I guess the recipients are not happy. Replacing an entire operating system without the owners knowledge seems a bit OVER THE TOP to me. Am I interpreting this correctly ??? NB
Yikes, here is a scan of the article. I'm running WinDoze 7 and have had the persistent offers for Doze 10. Would have been really p***ed if it installed on it's own.

More: https://www.theguardian.com/technolo...tomatic-update
Attached Images

Last edited by Slickcraft; 07-14-2016 at 07:22 PM. Reason: added link
Slickcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 06:31 AM   #43
jeffk

This has been a problem for quite a while. There is an app, GWX control panel, that can shut off the nag and possible forced update and if and when you want it to turn it back on again. I used it for about 6 months and it worked perfectly.

However, here is something to note. The free update offer expires July 29, in two weeks. What happens after that date? Here is what a recent magazine article said is likely to happen:

1. The free upgrade offer ends on July 29 and will not be extended.

2. Any upgrades completed before that date will be valid for as long as the device lasts.

3. There is a possibility that Microsoft will introduce some new upgrade offers after July 29, but don't count on it.

SO - if you want to upgrade to Windows 10 "at some point", that point is probably NOW. I recently upgraded from Windows 7 and it was easy and has been working pretty well. I also upgraded 3 machines from my church. I know several people others who have updated and are happy. HOWEVER, I have heard of a couple bad experiences. Make sure you have a ROCK SOLID backup image of your system before you upgrade. If you don't know how to do that, get help from a computer store before you upgrade. Restoring a system from a backup image is easy and quick. Without the image, you are out of luck. I have also heard one story from a computer store about the upgrade causing a laptop screen to burn out. That is really nasty but also, I suspect, extremely unlikely to happen to most people. Just be informed.

Support for Windows 7 expires in 2020. I expect that some will simply ride it out and then buy a new system and current OS when the support ends. IMO that may be a viable plan. It's a very personal choice. But as of the 29th, you may be locked into that choice or have to pay for what a lot of people have gotten for free.
Old 07-15-2016, 05:36 PM   #44
NoBozo

Default Second Try

Thanks guys for the input. All good info. Maybe I'm not going crazy after all. I hope. I haven't had any problems with Windows 10... that I'm aware of.

However, there seems to be no intuitive ...that would lead you from Vista to Windows 10. It's ALL hunt and peck..click on some icon to see what it is...and hope you aren't doing something you don't want to do. Everything is hidden behind something else...

I clicked "something".. while I was typing my first response to your posts..and Bada Bing...everything went away. NB