Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Support Forum > Site Support Forum
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-17-2015, 05:10 AM   #1
songkrai

Default AM BER Alert

I never signed up for this.
How do I take my cell phone OFF this call list?
Anyone?
This is an invasion of MY privacy.

This is NOT a complaint about this service for others. If you want an alert you should be able to sign up for this. Fine for you.

This was my first. And I had a very difficult time attempting to delete this on my LG smartphone. It kept coming back over and over again. And wanted me to "Confirm" that I received it.

Even my visitor with a cell phone registered in another state - she got the same alert.

This is too much Big Brother to me.

Again, I am not against this service - if YOU want it. But this should be a customer sign up - not if you don't want it.

And this case was so stupid. The father/husband took this particular child while the mother was there. A domestic dispute. Not some kid randomly taken off the street.

Over abuse of the system.
songkrai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 05:15 AM   #2
Joebon

For an iPhone, it's under notifications. So it must be something similar for LG.

It's not an invasion of privacy or overuse of the system because you have the option to opt out.

Did you read the manual for your phone? Maybe you should do that before you post something about big brother on a forum about a lake.
Joebon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 06:02 AM   #3
dpg

Or you could just confirm receiving it and it stops I believe - simple.
dpg is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dpg For This Useful Post:
hig (07-17-2015)
Old 07-17-2015, 06:19 AM   #4
hig

Why you think this is "big brother" and invasion of privacy?

I can understand if you find irritating, annoying or disruptive, but you are not being spied on by this service. It is just broadcast localized to a certain area. Your phone is in that area because it registers with specific cell towers.

If your privacy is being invaded, it is by having cell service in the first place, not by this service.
hig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 06:23 AM   #5
That Guy

I'm fine with it. If my kid were missing I'd be happy to have the program.

My only issue is it froze my phone. I had to pull the battery out and restart. I still use a flip phone so I guess that is the reason why.
That Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-17-2015, 06:26 AM   #6
Not to Worry

Default Ever think about the person??

Amber alerts are sent out to try and get help out to the person in need. It may well be a life or death situation and by boradcasting this alert to as many people as possible can be a life saver so, why not simply read it and if be some chance you could help then do so. I would bet it if it was you child or loved one you would want ALL the help you could find.

Gosh!!!!
Not to Worry is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Not to Worry For This Useful Post:
hig (07-17-2015)
Old 07-17-2015, 06:45 AM   #7
Redbarn

This is similar to the emergency broadcast on TV and radio, no one freaks out about that. If it was your kid you would have a different opinion I think.
Redbarn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 08:14 AM   #8
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,957 Times in 1,209 Posts

Is it possible to selectively program these notifications so I can screen out anyone in the OP's family?!

JK, but the fact that they found this child in less than 12 hours in Maine is a testament to the system working.

Sent from my XT1528 using Tapatalk
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 08:20 AM   #9
whalebackpoint'r

Clearly a misuse of this forum. It has nothing to do with the lake or the Lakes Region. Please take it down. Thank you!
whalebackpoint'r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 08:21 AM   #10
That Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by whalebackpoint'r View Post
Clearly a misuse of this forum. It has nothing to do with the lake or the Lakes Region. Please take it down. Thank you!
I got the amber alert. And I live in the Lakes Region.
That Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 08:40 AM   #11
Bigstan

You should opt out of the emergency broadcast system too. If there is ever a catastrophic event you should be able to be blissfully ignorant and stay in your home happily unaware. Nobody should force you to be part of society and the human race.

Tinfoil hat anyone?
Bigstan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bigstan For This Useful Post:
Charlie T (07-17-2015)
Old 07-17-2015, 09:10 AM   #12
Phantom

Personally -- for the number of times they go off and considering what they are designed for I think its a FABULOUS Nationwide system. Unfortunately it took the parents of Amber Hagerman years of lobbying to get it instituted.

If you choose to "Opt Out" on your phone, be sure to also suspend notifications from the NOAA Weather also.... as they broadcast the alerts in addition to Severe Weather Alerts. So now you will not know that the tornado or hurricane is coming nor that a young child has been abducted !

"In the United States, AMBER Alerts are distributed via commercial radio stations, Internet radio, satellite radio, television stations, and cable TV by the Emergency Alert System and NOAA Weather Radio"

Old 07-17-2015, 09:26 AM   #13
songkrai

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Guy View Post
I got the amber alert. And I live in the Lakes Region.
Thank you.

Supposedly many members of this board live in the Lakes Region or have a connection to the Lakes Region. And most, if not all, in the Lakes Region have a cell phone (not everyone).

Please re-read my initial posting.
I am NOT against these cell phone text messages.
But this should be an OPT IN. Not mandatory. This should be an option for cell phones - not mandatory built in by the state government, FCC, and Homeland Security.
Below is what I found just before this posting.

"To disable emergency alerts in stock Android, head to Settings, click on the More option under the Wireless & Networks section, and scroll down to the Cell Broadcasts settings.

Once opened, you will be given the option to disable extreme threats, severe threats, and Amber Alerts.

Android can be tricky, however, because each device is different. If you can't find the emergency alert option in your phone's settings, open the Messaging application and look for the option in the messaging settings. "

From CNET

Thank you.
songkrai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 10:11 AM   #14
dave603

I received it in Nashua, all it was a tesxt message with the information.
I didn't have confirm it either, so it was no bother at all.

As said above, if you shut off alerts, you shut them all off I believe.
I 'd rather get them all anyway.
dave603 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 11:30 AM   #15
Charlie T

Default No Privacy invasion

Quote:
Originally Posted by songkrai View Post
I never signed up for this.
How do I take my cell phone OFF this call list?
Anyone?
This is an invasion of MY privacy.

This is NOT a complaint about this service for others. If you want an alert you should be able to sign up for this. Fine for you.

This was my first. And I had a very difficult time attempting to delete this on my LG smartphone. It kept coming back over and over again. And wanted me to "Confirm" that I received it.

Even my visitor with a cell phone registered in another state - she got the same alert.

This is too much Big Brother to me.

Again, I am not against this service - if YOU want it. But this should be a customer sign up - not if you don't want it.

And this case was so stupid. The father/husband took this particular child while the mother was there. A domestic dispute. Not some kid randomly taken off the street.

Over abuse of the system.
I"m not quite sure how you consider this an invasion of YOUR privacy. An Amber Alert is designed to help a child in need and does nothing to invade your privacy.

Here is the official definition from the Amber Alert Website

The AMBER Alert™ Program is a voluntary partnership between law-enforcement agencies, broadcasters, transportation agencies, and the wireless industry, to activate an urgent bulletin in the most serious child-abduction cases.

I find it hard to believe that anyone would have a problem with being alerted to a child in distress. If it were your child that was abducted would you not want everyone possible to be alerted and to assist you and the police in finding them? Sometimes we as a civilized society need to suck it up and accept that it's not all about us as individuals, sometimes you have to work with and for the benefit of your neighbor.

Last edited by Charlie T; 07-17-2015 at 11:59 AM. Reason: Grammar
Charlie T is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Charlie T For This Useful Post:
feb (07-17-2015)
Old 07-17-2015, 12:30 PM   #16
Joebon

You opt in when you buy a cell phone, same as when you buy a tv.
Joebon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 12:32 PM   #17
Pineedles

Quote:
Thank you.

This should be an option for cell phones - not mandatory built in by the state government, FCC, and Homeland Security.
I understand what you said, but on the darker side, then you don't want to know that the government has mandated a chip installed on your computer and what it can do.
Pineedles is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Pineedles For This Useful Post:
Misha888 (07-19-2015)
Old 07-17-2015, 02:51 PM   #18
Skip

Post No State or Federal Mandate....

Quote:
...I am NOT against these cell phone text messages.
But this should be an OPT IN. Not mandatory. This should be an option for cell phones - not mandatory built in by the state government, FCC, and Homeland Security...
Just for clarification. This IS an option for cell phones, and one that your carrier chose to include as an option on your particular plan/device. By default, it comes enabled on your phone but is very easy to turn off either by simply Googling your particular phone or calling your service provider for instructions.

The Government developed the universal standards to deliver presidential, government and AMBER alerts for use by all carriers, but to opt in was voluntary on your carrier's part. There was/is no mandate by the Government that any cell phone company participate.

If you do not believe that it should come automatically enabled, then your complaint is with your service provider and not the State or Federal Government, FCC or Homeland.

For the few times I have received an alert, even in the middle of the night, I appreciate the feature myself and am glad my carrier (Verizon) allowed it as an option.
Skip is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Skip For This Useful Post:
upthesaukee (07-17-2015)
Old 07-17-2015, 03:14 PM   #19
PaugusBayFireFighter

Not only can you turn off the Amber and emergency alerts on an iPhone but you can set the times you don't want them to alert you. I set my phone to "DO NOT DISTURB" between the hours of 10PM to 7AM...No chance of being woken by any alerts or unwanted phone calls.
PaugusBayFireFighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 03:22 PM   #20
Kamper

It locked up my Comcast box. I had to shut it off to clear it. And I'm in Merrimack!

At least it was serious. There's an on-line alert service that used to send me flash warnings from Litchfield for piddling crap like a tree branch fell on a cul-de-sac. I'd expected things like burglary reports in my neighborhood. I eventually opted lout of the alerts and now I can't even remember what it's called. lol
Kamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 03:48 PM   #21
Slickcraft

Thanked 1,993 Times in 910 Posts

I got the alert on my android phone, my only thoughts were that I hope the outcome was good and what a good way to get the word out.

BTW songkrai the alert window had a link to the alert settings right in it. Why did you not simply tap on the link and opt out?
Slickcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 04:06 PM   #22
rsmlp

the crap some of you complain about astounds me
rsmlp is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to rsmlp For This Useful Post:
brk-lnt (07-18-2015), gillygirl (07-17-2015), hig (07-17-2015), Marauder (07-19-2015), Misha888 (07-19-2015), Newbiesaukee (07-17-2015), Phantom (07-19-2015), rander7823 (07-20-2015), thinkxingu (07-17-2015), Tundra (07-18-2015), whalebackpoint'r (07-17-2015), Winnigirl (07-17-2015)
Old 07-19-2015, 06:11 AM   #23
djwoodward

Quote:
And this case was so stupid. The father/husband took this particular child while the mother was there. A domestic dispute
Where do think most abductions happen? Not exactly a good guy taking his child for a ride in this case. Tried to out run the police and had to be stopped with spike strips. Glad it wasn't my grandchild in the car.

I'm more than happy to be notified if it leads to the safe return of a child!
djwoodward is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to djwoodward For This Useful Post:
Winnigirl (07-19-2015)
Old 07-19-2015, 07:03 AM   #24
noreast

Are you kidding? what if you just happened to be behind the car with the license plate. you could save a childs life just for receiving the alert. would you really opt out. How about a little participation in society. My family thinks I'm a hermit, come on.
noreast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 08:53 AM   #25
Kamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by djwoodward View Post
Where do think most abductions happen? Not exactly a good guy taking his child for a ride in this case. ...
Yes. According to an issue in the "Union Leader," most NH Chiefs of Police say the majority of child abductions are by family members or people who are already known to the family and child.

It doesn't apply in this case but parents should use 'code words' so a child will know someone is legit if there is a sudden need for changing the person picking them up. My sister used the term "Joe sent me." when my nephew was young, then changed it when someone used it jokingly during a party she hosted. Sometimes I thought she was paranoid but nothing bad ever happened to her kids so you can say her strategies were successful.
Kamper is offline   Reply With Quote