Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Support Forum > Site Support Forum
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-31-2015, 08:38 PM   #1
TheProfessor

Default Upgrade to Windows 10

OK.
I'm gonna guess that many are using computers, laptops, tablets, and cell phones to post here.
Some are still using a desktop or laptop.
And from reading some posts here - some just use mental telepathy to post.

Windows 10 is a free upgrade to anyone with Windows 7, 8, and 8.1.
Free for one year I have read.

I did not receive any notice from Microsoft.
I went directly to Microsoft web site and downloaded Windows 10 (from 7) without any major issues. All went smoothly.
This was my older computer that originally came with Vista (upgraded to 7).
I did have to upgrade my graphics card as the drivers on the older graphics card were not available for Windows 10. The screen did work but everything was larger then normal. Once the new graphics card was installed all looks perfect now.
No issues. Other then learning where things are.
I suggest a clean install. Place everything you want on a CD/DVD disc or flash/thumb drive. Then start fresh with Windows 10 and then add all your personal stuff.
Make sure your printer is compatible with Windows 10. My old Epson was compatible. No printer software to download. Windows 10 found everything.

Yes, Windows 95, 98, ME, XP - were much easier - in the old days of computing.

And if you have an Apple product. Well, God bless you.
TheProfessor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 05:05 AM   #2
brk-lnt

Windows 10 has WAY too much spyware and activity tracking stuff bundled in with it for my tastes.

The majority of our computers are OS X anyways, but I have to run Windows on the security PCs and those are staying at 7 or 8 for the foreseeable future.
thinkxingu (09-01-2015), wynndog (09-01-2015)
Old 09-01-2015, 08:05 AM   #3
Tired of Waiting

Default Big brother

You are now in the hands of big brother. Windows 10 has a TON of tracking and REPORTING to Microsoft stuff in it. They claim it's so they can "improve your experience" while computing. They use the info to modify how the computer is supposed to run based on how you use it.

Go online and do some research on windows 10 and there are sites that will tell you how to "try" to turn off the spy ware.

Here is a site that I have used to solve many computer problems. they have a down load that will take care of the spyware.

http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/deta...10_spying.html

Good luck.

ToW

Last edited by Tired of Waiting; 09-01-2015 at 08:14 AM. Reason: Add like to Major Geeks
Tired of Waiting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 09:26 AM   #4
trfour

Default I Like 10

I kept an ear open over the past four months, got an invitation to install, and did so just recently. I just upgraded from W/7 and the install came through without a hitch. I was very surprised, cause I've got tons on my computer. smoothest install I've ever done...

About the so called spyware; http://www.zdnet.com/article/no-micr...th-windows-10/

I sure recommend Windows 10...

Always Remember, The Best Safety Device In The Boat, or on a PWC Snowmobile etc., Is YOU!

Safe sledding tips and much more; http://www.snowmobile.org/snowmobiling-safety.html
trfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 09:55 AM   #5
brk-lnt

Quote:
Originally Posted by trfour View Post
Actually multiple people have used network sniffers to observe Windows 10 machines reporting back to Microsoft on things like Internet searches, what programs you're launching, etc.

I don't have a way to test this myself (no Win10 installs and don't feel like setting up a VM just to test this), but I've seen enough data online to feel that there is no benefit to upgrading to Win10, and a lot of potential risk.

The same Win10 "logging" functions are being slipped into Win7 and Win8 updates as well.
Old 09-01-2015, 10:12 AM   #6
P-3 Guy

I just got a new desktop with Windows 10 preinstalled. My old computer was running XP, which I liked, but Microsoft no longer supports it and it's increasingly not compatible with some of the stuff I want to do.

Yes, Microsoft loaded up Windows 10 with all sorts of so-called "spyware" to "track your user experience," but they are upfront about it and it's all very easy to turn off. Click on "Settings," go to "Privacy," and all the on/off switches are right there, with an explanation of what you're disabling if you select "off."
P-3 Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 12:10 PM   #7
SIKSUKR

All that spyware can be turned off.
Old 09-01-2015, 01:21 PM   #8
Rusty

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIKSUKR View Post
That's what you think.

All of your apps are spyware and are constantly gathering data about you. Then they bombard you with advertising that just about stalls your computer or whatever you are using.
Old 09-01-2015, 01:21 PM   #9
brk-lnt

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIKSUKR View Post
Yeah, it just requires some registry hacking and blocking some things on your router...
Old 09-01-2015, 02:34 PM   #10
trfour

Post In Case Ya Don't Know...

Every ' Free ' computer App and Chrome and other browsers know Everything about You, down to you're armpit size. Google yourself and you will see.

Ed Bott Knows his stuff, and has kept my computers running s'moove since many years now...
More about Windows 10; http://www.zdnet.com/article/windows...ts-and-misses/

Always Remember, The Best Safety Device In The Boat, or on a PWC Snowmobile etc., Is YOU!

Safe sledding tips and much more; http://www.snowmobile.org/snowmobiling-safety.html
Old 09-02-2015, 01:04 PM   #11
ishoot308

Thanked 4,904 Times in 1,897 Posts
Default Computerworld Article

Here's a recent interesting article from Computerworld magazine regarding Windows 10. It states, "Windows 10 feedback & diagnostics' cannot be totally switched off"...

http://www.computerworld.com/article...ompulsory.html

Sure makes one wonder!...

Dan
Old 09-02-2015, 01:50 PM   #12
SIKSUKR

I stand corrected.
Maybe.From that article:

There are several sources online for instructions on how to switch off the service; use a search string such as disable 'Windows 10' diagnostics to locate them
Old 09-06-2015, 08:32 PM   #13
Island-Ho

Default Caution

Be very cautious of that "free" upgrade. In a year it will turn into an annual subscription item and it will be too late to go back to your previous version. I'll stick with WIN 7 thank you. That's in addition to all the "user improvement data" that goes back to uSoft.
Island-Ho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 12:30 AM   #14
trfour

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island-Ho View Post
Be very cautious of that "free" upgrade. In a year it will turn into an annual subscription item and it will be too late to go back to your previous version. I'll stick with WIN 7 thank you. That's in addition to all the "user improvement data" that goes back to uSoft.
Island-Ho, NOT TRUE... A direct quote from ZDnet on The Windows 10 Upgrade... ( " I heard that after a year Microsoft is going to start charging for subscriptions. True?

Not true. The Windows 10 upgrade will be free, as in beer, for the first year after it's released. And there won't be any surprise fees after that.

The basic licensing model for Windows has not changed with Windows 10. You get a perpetual license, with five years of mainstream support and five additional years of extended support. See "Microsoft commits to 10-year
support lifecycle for Windows 10" for details." )

I couldn't imagine Microsoft offering a Free upgrade to 10, and then charging anything for it after a year. It would put them right out of business.

Here's a Link, scroll down for the above quote.
http://www.zdnet.com/article/windows...e-got-answers/

Old 09-07-2015, 02:49 PM   #15
Island-Ho

I stand corrected. If I upgrade it will be on another machine, not on my finely tuned WIN 7 desktop.
Island-Ho is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Island-Ho For This Useful Post:
trfour (09-07-2015)
Old 09-07-2015, 11:12 PM   #16
trfour

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island-Ho View Post
I stand corrected. If I upgrade it will be on another machine, not on my finely tuned WIN 7 desktop.
I really liked W/7, and think that it was a good step up from XP, both very good.
And, I did a lot of homework on W/10 before upgrading, and W/7 is all there so anyone can revert back to it should they want to.

So far, I think W/10 is the wave of the immediate future, with ease of access to all programs and files and many more bells and whistles, and Fast, to boot...

Old 07-04-2017, 06:30 AM   #17
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,088 Times in 782 Posts
Default 2cnd Anniversary Windows 10 upgrade

My thank you button is missing. Any ideas to get it back?
Old 07-04-2017, 06:39 AM   #18
Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadHopper View Post
My thank you button is missing. Any ideas to get it back?
This was mentioned a while back by webmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by webmaster View Post
Sorry for the downtime Friday night into this morning. If you visited during that time you may have experienced various messages and errors.

The downtime was necessary to migrate the site to a new 64 bit SSD server (VPS) and then upgrade the forum and other software to be compatible with the new server.

The only feature that I am unable to get working so far is the "Thank You" feature. That is a 3rd party module that hasn't been updated in 6 years and is not compatible with the new server. I'm going to try to find a replacement that will let me keep all the existing "thanks" but we will have to live without that feature until I find a solution.

I haven't completely tested the other site features (Photopost, Classifieds, etc.) so some may remain disabled for a little longer.

Thanks for your patience.
https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums...reply&p=278611
Outdoorsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 07:07 AM   #19
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,088 Times in 782 Posts
Default Thanks!

Thought it was Windows.

BTW I have been happy with the 2cnd anniversary Windows. I had a number of folks had trouble after any Windows 10 upgrade, found 90% of the problems had to do with outdated driveware and firmware. Downloading the computer manufacturer's support assist and running the software makes a huge difference.

The other 9% is the original manufacturers partition table for Windows 7 and 8.1. Best to do a clean install when updating is futile.

Am I missing anything?