Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Support Forum > Site Support Forum
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-23-2015, 08:51 PM   #1
bclaker

Default Computer Technician

Does anyone know of a Computer Technician who does home visits in the Laconia area that they would recommend?
bclaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 11:52 AM   #2
MAXUM

Thanked 1,942 Times in 802 Posts

what do you need done/fixed?
MAXUM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 12:01 PM   #3
ishoot308

Thanked 4,904 Times in 1,897 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclaker View Post
Does anyone know of a Computer Technician who does home visits in the Laconia area that they would recommend?
Good question, I could use one too!
Old 03-24-2015, 12:08 PM   #4
bclaker

I believe it is just a software problem. It usually takes forever to get windows explorer to find a web site. It keeps telling me window explorer is not responding. Sometimes Mindspark is not responding. I have tried deleting cookies, etc and that doesn't work. Thankfully this IPad works fine, but I need the computer to do my income tax return.
Old 03-24-2015, 12:20 PM   #5
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default Download Malwarebytes, if you do not already have it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclaker View Post
I believe it is just a software problem. It usually takes forever to get windows explorer to find a web site. It keeps telling me window explorer is not responding. Sometimes Mindspark is not responding. I have tried deleting cookies, etc and that doesn't work. Thankfully this IPad works fine, but I need the computer to do my income tax return.
Download and run Malwarebytes from malwarebytes.com . It is a free download, and I run mine every three or four weeks. When you go to run a scan, it will ask if you want to update the software, and the answer is yes.

I too am having some problems with Explorer not responding. I do find that using Chrome or Mozilla eases, but does not eliminate, the problem. I seem to get a lot of "long running scripts", causing the Explorer not to respond.

Also, look down in your "tray" where the clock is, and see how many programs you have running. I had about 6 programs that were running at startup that didn't need to be running until I needed them. Those programs I just went into the properties or options and unchecked the automatically start on a restart or booting of the computer. For instance, I have a Sky Caddy Gps for golf, and the updater software when it installed set itself up to start on boot up of the computer. I may only use the computer software once a month or so. No need to have it run and use up resources.

Hope this may help a little.

Good luck.
Old 03-24-2015, 03:43 PM   #6
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,088 Times in 782 Posts
Default Computer tech

I will be happy to look at for you. I've been around desktop since the IBM / Rainbow PC days. I was even the IT expert for a billion dollar sales company long before they call it IT!
Old 03-24-2015, 04:34 PM   #7
bclaker

I spent all afternoon trying to get my computer working and finally did. I tried malware bytes. I got the web site, but couldn't download it. I then went to the control panel and tried all the things that I thought might apply. I finally changed it back to the Vista classic view and it is like brand new speed wise, except Internet Explorer gave me a blank page, however Google and Firefox worked fine. I think all those updates on the newer versions of Internet Explorer messed it up. If I was to get a new Internet Explorer, The automatic updates would probably mess it up again, so I'll just use Firefox or Google. Thanks guys for your help.

Bob
Old 03-24-2015, 04:57 PM   #8
Rusty

Have you ever tried a System Restore?
It helps you restore your computer's system files to an earlier point in time. It's a way to undo system changes to your computer without affecting your personal files, such as e‑mail, documents, or photos.

Here are the instructions for windows 7...if you have a different operating system, do a search for the one you have: System Restore
Old 03-24-2015, 05:47 PM   #9
JasonG

Back up everything, wipe the hard drive, fresh install. Best way to recover speed.

Also, if you have an older PC, newer browsers may bog down the CPU/Hard Drive and make everything slower. Just like that update to your Apple iPhone...all of the sudden it gets slower to use making you think it is time to upgrade.
JasonG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 08:59 PM   #10
bclaker

Thanks for the additional info Jason and Rusty, but it seems to be running fine now. I tried to restore, in the past, but it didn't take me back far enough to avoid where the trouble started.
Old 03-25-2015, 06:44 AM   #11
tis

Thanked 1,371 Times in 947 Posts

Speaking of computers, I just had my Safari updated on my Mac and every time I go into an email or forum, I have to click to sign in. Before I could just stay signed in. Even if I check the box to stay signed in, I am not signed in when I close out Safari and go back in. Anybody suggestions?
tis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 07:41 AM   #12
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default Well duh!!!!

Don't close it out, Tis!!!!

(Sorry, can't really help with the problem, but I couldn't help myself.)
Old 03-25-2015, 11:31 AM   #13
tis

You are a riot, up!!!! I don't close them out and I check the little boxes to keep me signed in. Like I never used to sign out of this forum so I could just come right in. I check the little box to keep me signed in. Maybe it is something with the new Safari, it won't let you stay. Will have to try a search.
The Following User Says Thank You to tis For This Useful Post:
upthesaukee (03-25-2015)
Old 03-25-2015, 12:45 PM   #14
trfour

Quote:
Originally Posted by tis View Post
You are a riot, up!!!! I don't close them out and I check the little boxes to keep me signed in. Like I never used to sign out of this forum so I could just come right in. I check the little box to keep me signed in. Maybe it is something with the new Safari, it won't let you stay. Will have to try a search.
tis, I've heard that it is easier to get hacked if you stay logged on or logged in to a website. You may find more help here; http://www.bing.com/search?q=Never%2...871a444a2e8d7a

Terry

Always Remember, The Best Safety Device In The Boat, or on a PWC Snowmobile etc., Is YOU!

Safe sledding tips and much more; http://www.snowmobile.org/snowmobiling-safety.html
trfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 01:49 PM   #15
webmaster

Thanked 3,691 Times in 819 Posts

Quote:
Speaking of computers, I just had my Safari updated on my Mac and every time I go into an email or forum, I have to click to sign in. Before I could just stay signed in. Even if I check the box to stay signed in, I am not signed in when I close out Safari and go back in. Anybody suggestions?
This site uses a "cookie" to remember your login. Sometimes the cookie gets corrupted in some way and won't do its job. It's happened to me.

If you delete the cookie and let the site re-create it it will again work normally after you log in once. Different browsers have different ways to manage cookies. Just Google "Firefox delete cookies" (for example) for directions for your browser. Then delete the winnipesaukee.com cookie.

If you have security software that blocks cookies it's a different story but it sounds like tis just may need a fresh cookie (chocolate chip?).
webmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 01:53 PM   #16
SIKSUKR

Maybe I'm a little paranoid but I would never stayed logged in to a site when not using it. Anytime I use online banking I go 1 step further and actually close and reopen the browser.
trfour (03-26-2015)
Old 03-25-2015, 01:56 PM   #17
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,088 Times in 782 Posts

And I thought I was paranoid!
Old 03-25-2015, 02:14 PM   #18
Rusty

Quote:
While in Safari, go to the "Safari" menu in the upper left hand corner of the screen, click on it, and then click on "Preferences".
From there, click on the "Autofill tab, and make sure "User names and passwords" is checked.
Old 03-25-2015, 02:21 PM   #19
tis

Those are all checked, Rusty. Webmaster, I did that, I will see if it works. I just made some chocolate chips and am trying not to eat them!!! I bought "Webroot" Security for the first time too and maybe that is it. Thanks for the help.
Old 03-25-2015, 06:08 PM   #20
bclaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadHopper View Post
I will be happy to look at for you. I've been around desktop since the IBM / Rainbow PC days. I was even the IT expert for a billion dollar sales company long before they call it IT!
Thanks for the offer BroadHopper. I really appreciate it, but at this point I'm all squared away.