Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Support Forum > Site Support Forum
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-09-2014, 03:00 PM   #1
webmaster

Thanked 3,691 Times in 819 Posts
Default "No Wake Zone permit" Thread

Recently a new member asked a question about no wake zones in a thread called No Wake Zone permit. The thread was unfortunately hijacked by a few members who repeatedly criticized my management of this forum and seemed to wish for a confrontation and argument. Those comments have been removed from that thread and moved here.
webmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to webmaster For This Useful Post:
ITD (11-13-2014), ralbaneze (11-24-2014), Tired of Waiting (11-13-2014)
Old 11-09-2014, 03:11 PM   #2
Not to Worry

Default "No Wake Zone permit" Thread

Well, this should be a fun thread to watch!
Not to Worry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 03:53 PM   #3
ITD

Get the popcorn honey, this should be a humdinger.
ITD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 05:02 PM   #4
Merrymeeting

Hmmm...Orville Redenbacher or Jiffy Pop?
Merrymeeting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 08:31 AM   #5
Webbsatwinni

Why hasn't this been moved to the issues area???????? This is clearly an issue post and should be held to the same standards as the positive performance boat posts that are made into issues.

Double standards?
Webbsatwinni is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-10-2014, 08:34 AM   #6
glennsteely

Talking Here we go.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by billy bob View Post
you bought the land and the house , the rest of us own the lake . Slow = no fun
fast = lotta fun . I love going fast in that cove
love watching this unfold.....hehehe!
Old 11-10-2014, 09:23 AM   #7
Phantom

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApS View Post
—but worst are the rubberneckers who view the shoreline at highly-erosive speeds in boats oversized for Lake Winnipesaukee.
I had grabbed my soda & popcorn ...... was determined to sit back and laugh my way through as this thread surely had all the markings of deteriorating rapidly

Then the red highlighted portion above caught my eye ....... ApS -- Seriously ?

I could totally understand if one day Don just threw up his arms and said enuf ..... or "Good Bye"

PC31 (11-10-2014), Sue Doe-Nym (11-11-2014), TiltonBB (11-11-2014)
Old 11-10-2014, 12:34 PM   #8
Webbsatwinni

Quote:
Originally Posted by caloway View Post
There's nothing out there that erodes like a good wind out of the NW and the lake has managed to deal with it for eons.

That having been said, I'll be submitting a no wake petition for the entire lake for anything over 38 feet, unless it has captain's call and is traveling greater than 45 mph.
I too am submitting a petition, boats traveling at no wake speed have less maneuverability and take greater captain skill to handle. This no wake petition will create yet another unsafe area within boating distance of a town dock, where there is already a docking skill safety issue (or entertainment, depending on if it's your boat that get's hit or not).

Please move this thread to issues fast before we all ruin this poor forum!
Old 11-11-2014, 08:19 AM   #9
Webbsatwinni

Day 3 still in the general section, what is the criteria required to move this anti performance boat thread to the issues page?

Speed complaints
large boat complaints
Regulations changes
Wake complaints
Tubing and water ski comments

Yet its still in general, hmmmmm.
Old 11-11-2014, 08:28 AM   #10
webmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webbsatwinni View Post
Day 3 still in the general section, what is the criteria required to move this anti performance boat thread to the issues page?

Speed complaints
large boat complaints
Regulations changes
Wake complaints
Tubing and water ski comments

Yet its still in general, hmmmmm.
Do you have anything to add to this thread other than criticism of me? The topic is a no-wake zone in Cummings Cove.
The Following 27 Users Say Thank You to webmaster For This Useful Post:
Charlie T (11-11-2014), chasedawg (11-11-2014), CTYankee (11-11-2014), gillygirl (11-11-2014), ITD (11-11-2014), Jersey Ed (11-11-2014), jkjoshuatree (11-11-2014), Just Sold (11-11-2014), KPW (11-11-2014), mcdude (11-11-2014), Merrymeeting (11-11-2014), Nagigator (11-11-2014), Newbiesaukee (11-11-2014), Not to Worry (11-11-2014), paintitredinHC (11-11-2014), Phantom (11-11-2014), rander7823 (11-11-2014), Rusty (11-11-2014), Smith Point (11-12-2014), Sunbeam lodge (11-11-2014), TiltonBB (11-11-2014), Tired of Waiting (11-11-2014), upthesaukee (11-11-2014), WakeboardMom (11-11-2014), wifi (11-11-2014), winnasake (11-11-2014), winnipiseogee (11-11-2014)
Old 11-11-2014, 09:18 AM   #11
Webbsatwinni

Quote:
Originally Posted by webmaster View Post
Do you have anything to add to this thread other than criticism of me? The topic is a no-wake zone in Cummings Cove.
When I posted that it was nice to see performance boats on a weekend, it was moved to issues. That was a positive post with no agenda. This is an issue that someone has and it stays in general.

Yes, that is criticism.
Old 11-11-2014, 09:47 AM   #12
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,135 Times in 889 Posts
Default Not a good idea

Quote:
When I posted that it was nice to see performance boats on a weekend, it was moved to issues. That was a positive post with no agenda. This is an issue that someone has and it stays in general.

Yes, that is criticism.
Don, the Webmaster, owns this site that we all enjoy. He is the man who spends thousands of hours maintaining and moderating what content is allowed. That is his right and he does an excellent job at walking the fine line that allows the posts and the posters to be entertaining and informative and stepping in where he feels it is needed.

It is not up to any of us to determine what is on this site. By posting, and reading the posts of others, over time it is apparent what is appropriate and acceptable. If that is something that you cannot abide by or agree with then maybe this is not the forum for you.

It is certainly not up to you to determine which posts stay, which posts are moved, and what is appropriate. Most people on this site will not appreciate your criticism.
TiltonBB is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to TiltonBB For This Useful Post:
Charlie T (11-11-2014), Jersey Ed (11-11-2014), KPW (11-11-2014), rander7823 (11-12-2014), Smith Point (11-12-2014)
Old 11-11-2014, 09:55 AM   #13
Webbsatwinni

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiltonBB View Post
Don, the Webmaster, owns this site that we all enjoy. He is the man who spends thousands of hours maintaining and moderating what content is allowed. That is his right and he does an excellent job at walking the fine line that allows the posts and the posters to be entertaining and informative and stepping in where he feels it is needed.

It is not up to any of us to determine what is on this site. By posting, and reading the posts of others, over time it is apparent what is appropriate and acceptable. If that is something that you cannot abide by or agree with then maybe this is not the forum for you.

It is certainly not up to you to determine which posts stay, which posts are moved, and what is appropriate. Most people on this site will not appreciate your criticism.
That is your position, mine is that it clearly demonstrates what motivates the forum.
Old 11-11-2014, 10:17 AM   #14
Phantom

Time to grab the Soda & Popcorn < again >

This can't end well .................

winnasake (11-11-2014)
Old 11-11-2014, 10:19 AM   #15
ITD

Personally, when I frequent a forum and there is a thread that aggravates me I just don't click on that thread. Works great for me.

I really expected this thread to blow up, but it hasn't. The OP had a legitimate question and maybe now is reconsidering his position. Obviously his house has been in the family for years and something has changed. Hopefully what ever it is is transient and he will have more peace next year with out adding another no wake zone to the lake. We'll see.
ITD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 10:45 AM   #16
glennsteely

Talking Hahaha!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by webbsatwinni View Post
billy bob for president!
how many votes does he need for the nomination?? I'm in!!
Old 11-11-2014, 10:54 AM   #17
winnipiseogee

Just my 2 cents but if the OP said "It was great to see all the performance boats OFF the lake this weekend..." it would belong in issues.

It is disappointing that a new member can't ask a well intentioned question without other people trying to make it into an issue.
winnipiseogee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 10:59 AM   #18
glennsteely

Thumbs down Another.....im gonna take my ball and go home....

Quote:
when i posted that it was nice to see performance boats on a weekend, it was moved to issues. That was a positive post with no agenda. This is an issue that someone has and it stays in general.

Yes, that is criticism.
we are all just visitors here......dons site, dons rules.
......and i like them, i might add!!
Old 11-11-2014, 11:07 AM   #19
Webbsatwinni

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennsteely View Post
No bat and ball thoughts here, and yes, it is his site, sometimes i forget that and think that all issues will be treated equally. My bad, sorry.
Old 11-11-2014, 01:21 PM   #20
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennsteely View Post
Yes this is Dons site.... And I have on more then one occasion, given him credit for creating the forum, and try to understand his decisions.... however
WebbsatWinni, is right to be critical right now.... This thread has been brought down a path, and is creating controversy.... as good intentioned as it was.... you can't pick and chose controversial subjects at whim....

The facts are this has created controversy... diverted from its original intentions.....And therefor should be moved out of the General topics area....

I am not picking up my bat and ball and leaving, I am stating how I view this...
Webbsatwinni (11-11-2014)
Old 11-11-2014, 02:21 PM   #21
webmaster

Quote:
That is your position, mine is that it clearly demonstrates what motivates the forum.
Instead of commenting on the topic, you've now made 3 posts accusing me of bias.

Please tell us what my bias is and what "motivates this forum".
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to webmaster For This Useful Post:
Charlie T (11-11-2014), Jersey Ed (11-11-2014), rander7823 (11-11-2014), Smith Point (11-12-2014), winnasake (11-11-2014)
Old 11-11-2014, 05:55 PM   #22
Webbsatwinni

Quote:
Instead of commenting on the topic, you've now made 3 posts accusing me of bias.

I had chosen to stop posting on this thread as my point was not being heard, because you asked....You are in charge and I made the mistake of looking at the forum through my point of view and commenting off topic and pointing out how the posts are not all treated the same.

The last thread I started was a positive one, nobody doing any wrong, it was an observation that I enjoyed seeing performance boats. Once the forum spin started, you quickly moved my non issue, non speed limit speak, post to the issues area.

This post was started with the quote, "We live on Lake Winni in Meredith and our little cove is being overrun by cigarette boats with no regard to speed or noise limits." Both of these accusations are items that, if posted as pro speed or noise, would be moved to the issues area.

My post was moved without me posting anything negative, yet this negative post stays in general topics. This in my opinion is bias, I use the forum to get lake updates and news and to see what is going on around the lake and had hoped that the management of the forum was not taking an obvious position on the SL debate.

I hope you can see where I feel that the posts do get a bias depending on the side of the fence its coming from. Sorry to offend you and that my frustration came out in this thread, the forum is a great source of information and I am sure it's not easy to keep it going.

Last edited by Webbsatwinni; 11-12-2014 at 06:54 AM.
Old 11-11-2014, 08:27 PM   #23
wifi

Quote:

I think this gets back to the unfortunate political thread that you edited out.

A certain person (me) posted certain truths of a candidate that shouldn't have been done here. I apologize for that. People complained and you trimmed the political slant out of the thread. This then empowers certain people the feeling that if they complain and threaten to leave, they can get posts edited their way. What a tangle.... sorry
wifi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 08:13 AM   #24
rgilfert

Default Ding

The ring girl carrying the #4 placard has left the octagon ........ Ding!
rgilfert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 08:22 AM   #25
glennsteely

Lightbulb Kind of the point....

Quote:
i had chosen to stop posting on this thread as my point was not being heard, because you asked....you are in charge and i made the mistake of looking at the forum through my point of view and commenting off topic and pointing out how the posts are not all treated the same.

The last thread i started was a positive one, nobody doing any wrong, it was an observation that i enjoyed seeing performance boats. Once the forum spin started, you quickly moved my non issue, non speed limit speak, post to the issues area.

This post was started with the quote, "we live on lake winni in meredith and our little cove is being overrun by cigarette boats with no regard to speed or noise limits." both of these accusations are items that, if posted as pro speed or noise, would be moved to the issues area.

My post was moved without me posting anything negative, yet this negative post stays in general topics. This in my opinion is bias, i use the forum to get lake updates and news and to see what is going on around the lake and had hoped that the management of the forum was not taking an obvious position on the sl debate.

I hope you can see where i feel that the posts do get a bias depending on the side of the fence its coming from. Sorry to offend you and that my frustration came out in this thread, the forum is a great source of information and i am sure it's not easy to keep it going.
thats kind of the point.....if all posts are not treated the same, so be it....that is the point exactly......don's site, don's rules....it's up to don, where he puts things.....frankly, your point means nothing. If you want your point to count for so much, start your own forum....hey, maybe i'll even join it!!
Old 11-12-2014, 08:41 AM   #26
Woodsy

Default Pretty good read.... :)

It was pretty good reading this thread.... I def agree with the "Don's Forum - Don's Rules" argument. I might not agree with the reasoning sometimes but that's OK. Don works behind the scene in a mostly thankless manner!

Back on topic....

If Ralbaneze wants to petition the MP for a NWZ... that's his right. I will go to the hearing to oppose it. I have a SERIOUS issue with people who abut a public resource like Lake Winni dictating to the public how the public can use a resource that belongs to them. (Safety issues aside)

Woodsy
HellRaZoR004 (11-12-2014), Jersey Ed (11-12-2014), LIforrelaxin (11-12-2014), RTTOOL (11-12-2014), VitaBene (11-12-2014)