Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Support Forum > Site Support Forum
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-03-2014, 07:14 PM   #1
wifi

Default Winnipesaukee.com and Firefox

I'm having a devil of a time, actually it doesn't work, trying to access the site via FireFox. Anyone else have this problem? IE (uggg) seems to work...

Started yesterrday or this morning
wifi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 07:25 PM   #2
Slickcraft

Thanked 1,993 Times in 910 Posts

Firefox is all that we ever use, no problem on the forum or anywhere else.

Running version 32.0
Slickcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 07:41 PM   #3
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default Also on Firefox...

I signed in just to see if I had a problem in Firefox... none found.

Sorry.

What kind of problems were you having?
Old 09-03-2014, 07:59 PM   #4
wifi

Hitting enter after the URL, I get a redirect to another page, which is normal, from then on it sits and spins. The bottom says: transferring data from Winnipesaukee.com which never completes

I did get a noscript update within the last few days, but winni.com is on the whitelist.
Old 09-03-2014, 08:43 PM   #5
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default Hmmmmm

I was using firefox earlier today, and it seemed to be locked up on another website, with an occasional message saying that Firefox was not responding. Down at the bottom left (I think), it said transferring data from ... (can't remember from where).

the next time I went into firefox, it said that a partial update had failed to complete, and did I want to retry. I clicked yes, and it got locked up.

I don't know if the update ever went through.

do do do do, do do do do.... Twilight zone
Old 09-03-2014, 09:01 PM   #6
JasonG

Universal fix... reboot your PC or Mac.
Make sure you have the latest version of firefox installed.
Make sure your OS (windows, etc) is updated to the latest as well. You may have a new Firefox that requires the latest windows update.

If it loads fast on other browsers, it is firefox.
JasonG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 03:21 AM   #7
wifi

Was running 31.0, upgraded to 32.0, no difference. Left it trying to load and went to bed, this morning, the home page was showing. I know, always rushing, wish I had 5 mins to relax. Anyway, tried experimenting this morning, and it seems the only problem is bringing up the main page to login, takes about 15 minutes to load, after that its fine.

I'll eventually figure it out, was wondering if anyone had seen the same problem.
Old 09-04-2014, 08:07 AM   #8
B-Laps

Try disabling no script completely while loading the site. If that fixes the issues temporarily then there is something blocked that is delaying the loading of the rest of the site.
B-Laps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 11:36 AM   #9
jeffk

Default No problem

Was Firefox V31 but updated to V32. Loaded main page and forum very quickly and without issues.

Running Windows 7 with all up to date components.
jeffk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 04:51 PM   #10
wifi

Running XP, tonight its fine.
Old 09-04-2014, 06:27 PM   #11
jeffk

I've had lots of problems over the last few years with ads on different sites. They imbed so much scripts, video, java, and other junk that sometimes just clashes with something on my computer. Then a little later, everything works fine. I assume that they either found a problem and pulled the ad or it wasn't delivered in this visit. I had so many problems with one site that I sent an email to complain and they blocked certain ads to my IP address. That ended the problem. Until I went on vacation and tried to access the site (different IP address) and got the full barrage of junk again. I worked around it but it sure is annoying.

The problem is, ad delivery these days is very dynamic, targeted to individual preference. I go to ems.com to look at technical base layers and then I start getting ads from ems on the sites I visit. You look into garden tractors and start getting ads from John Deere. You don't have problems with John Deere ads but there is something flaky about EMS ads so I have problems. Same primary site visited, very different content delivered and resulting behavior.

Also, there are differences in how the different operating systems handle things like scripts, video, and Java. So Windows 7 no problem, XP hangs. It's all supposed to be seamless but it really isn't.
Old 09-04-2014, 06:36 PM   #12
Pineedles

The list of posters offering help is where I will go next time I have a problem. Thanks guys and gals.
Pineedles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 07:04 PM   #13
Slickcraft

Thanked 1,993 Times in 910 Posts
Default tracking ads

Yes one reason why we each may have a different result with the same web site is that our baggage of tracking ads and related scripts is unique to where we have been on the web.

I have used Ghostery on Firefox for the past year, puts an end to tracking ads. At times I have to disable the blocking (easy to do) or whitelist a site (also easy) in order to get a desired script to work, such as a bank log in.

Anyway life is much better without all the tracking ads.
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/fir...ddon/ghostery/
Slickcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 07:07 AM   #14
jeffk

BTW, another aspect of this is that with all the ads, lots of other web sites are being asked for page information. Those sites can be slow to respond or even unavailable for brief periods of time. Browsers don't like it when things they request are unavailable. They can misbehave badly. Google is so ubiquitous in ad service that when Google servers have a delay browsers can seem to hang. You will usually see a message at the bottom of the screen, "Waiting for a reply from Google" or something like that. Again, it's in Google's business interests to be very fast in response time but the web is not a precision instrument. Hiccups can happen anywhere along the path. Then it comes down to how does your operating system and browser and add-ons all handle such hiccups?

And since each of us have somewhat unique paths to our web destination and such problems can be transient and each of us get unique content that comes down more unique paths, each user experience can be quite different and even different based on time of day and even recent web activity.

It's a very different thing than each of us running MS Excel 2010 and comparing experiences. While there is some variability between users of an installed app, the code running is essentially the same.

Many versions ago it was possible to configure IE to block most ads. What a huge difference in performance and reliability that made. They removed most of that capability in newer versions because, after all, ads are what pay for the web. But when you use the web, consider how much of the content you get is what you asked for and how much is "extra" stuff. As a point of discussion say it is 50% extra stuff. Then half of the bandwidth on the web is unrequested "junk mail". That bandwidth use translates to real costs for the equipment to support it and time to transmit the data. If you have a broadband plan they are charging for amount of content delivered. If half of what is delivered is unasked for and you still have to pay for it ...