Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 08-12-2012, 07:53 PM   #1
Dave R

Default So glad we ignored the weather report today

Rained on the way up to the lake and on the way home, the day on the lake was nearly perfect though.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 08:44 PM   #2
Jidge

Default Thought it was raining

Dave R, we were going to head up but looked at Downings webcam and it looked to be raining or cloudy all day. Kinda bummed out it was nice out there and missed a day on the lake.
Jidge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 09:43 PM   #3
NH_boater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave R View Post
Rained on the way up to the lake and on the way home, the day on the lake was nearly perfect though.
Saw you pulling out at Downing. We were behind you. You came into the no wake zone a little hot though.... Just kidding, of course. We squeezed in a great day too. Glad we ignored the funny sky; turned out great.
NH_boater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 06:42 AM   #4
Jeanzb1

I've found that A LOT of times this summer the weather forecasts have been wrong. I go to two weather sites: weather.com and the noaa site, which is the National Weather Service. Does anyone have a site that seems to be right "most" of the time?
Jeanzb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 07:06 AM   #5
SIKSUKR

There is no "right" weather forecast when it calls for pop-up downpours or t-storms.Some areas will get them and some will not.The forecast was dead on.
jeffatsquam (08-13-2012), Winnisquamguy (08-13-2012)
Sponsored Links
Old 08-13-2012, 10:57 AM   #6
ChocolateGypsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeanzb1 View Post
I've found that A LOT of times this summer the weather forecasts have been wrong. I go to two weather sites: weather.com and the noaa site, which is the National Weather Service. Does anyone have a site that seems to be right "most" of the time?
I listen to the Holderness feed in the morning -- it's fairly accurate but then, it updates all day long.

http://tunein.com/search/?query=new+hampshire+weather

Just droppin' in for a bite.
ChocolateGypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 12:08 PM   #7
CateP

We had a great day fishing along the shores of Wolfeboro and Alton yesterday. No wind and pretty hot. The skies threatened and it rained a tiny bit. This time of year thunder storms can form out of nowhere so I figure we take our chances every time we got out.
CateP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 01:01 PM   #8
Dave R

Quote:
Originally Posted by NH_boater View Post
Saw you pulling out at Downing. We were behind you. You came into the no wake zone a little hot though.... Just kidding, of course. We squeezed in a great day too. Glad we ignored the funny sky; turned out great.
Was that you in the Crownline? That boat has nice lines and I always admire it when I pull into Downings. Hope I didn't hold you up at the ramp, I try to be efficient about getting on the trailer and get out of the way ASAP.
Old 08-13-2012, 03:33 PM   #9
camp guy

Default Winnipesaukee weather

Last summer I attended a presentation at the Libby Museum (Wolfeboro) put on by a channel 9 weatherman, actually, to be fair to him, a meteorologist, and he told the group (mostly adults) that predicting weather in the Lakes Region is particularly difficult. Now, let me off the hook here, but he mentioned air masses cooled by the mountains, air masses gathering moisture from the sea, and air masses gaining heat from the south all, essentially, converging in the relative area of the Lake, and then the effect of the Lake on this mass of air, and all these factors produce a situation in which predicting weather for Lakes Region is very difficult. He had worked in other areas of the USA, and he said, by far, this is the most difficult area.

I have friends who life very close to the Pine Cone restaurant, and I live 9 miles south, and they will have violent rain and I will have virtually nothing. I know from my days of living and boating on the Lake, that I personally have had to put in to someone's dock for cover, and I had boats blown ashore at my house needing assistance during a storm.

Considering the very unpleasant consequences which can happen if the weather gets ahead of you, I always played it very safe, even if it meant losing a day which turned out to be a good boating day.

Remember, it's not nice to fool (with) Mother Nature.
camp guy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to camp guy For This Useful Post:
BroadHopper (08-13-2012)
Old 08-13-2012, 04:15 PM   #10
Dave R

Quote:
Originally Posted by camp guy View Post

Considering the very unpleasant consequences which can happen if the weather gets ahead of you, I always played it very safe, even if it meant losing a day which turned out to be a good boating day.

Remember, it's not nice to fool (with) Mother Nature.
Just to be clear, the forecast I ignored called for pop-up showers and possible thunderstorms. Nothing crazy. If it had said severe thundestorms, I would have kept the boat at home.
Old 08-13-2012, 07:34 PM   #11
Lakesrider

Thanked 1,016 Times in 345 Posts

We were at the Mug in Center Harbor yesterday. Went in for the first time to try it out. Soon as we sat down the power went out. But luckily they have propane fed stoves so our meal never slowed down. Sitting there I was watching the clouds coming in. Talk about a dark ominous sky. You could see off in the distance the top of the hill disappeared in a gray mist....then it started raining. There was a guy and his son in the Mug and they decided to take off in the boat. he told us he had an hour ride back in the boat. Somehow I bet he wished he stayed in the Mug 'cause man did it start pouring. You could barely see the lake from where we were sitting. Hope he made it OK. Talk about a gully washer, and a great rainbow that had great staying power, because we could see it the whole ride home to Moultonborough.
Lakesrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 09:57 PM   #12
NH_boater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave R View Post
Was that you in the Crownline? That boat has nice lines and I always admire it when I pull into Downings. Hope I didn't hold you up at the ramp, I try to be efficient about getting on the trailer and get out of the way ASAP.
Yes, that was me. Our crownline is not as flashy as some but we like it and it does have great lines. It has great ride and a good size for us.

I pride myself at launching and retrieving quickly since we do it so much. We get into the water quickly and out even faster. Dry docking has advantages as long as there is not a long line and you are quick. You sir are quick.

Hope to see you again on the high seas....
NH_boater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 07:07 AM   #13
Lakewinn1

Default Yesterday

Spent the day on the Seadoo..... went to visit Diamond , Rattlesnake and Sleepers..... the weater was great , the lake was fairly calm..... and it was one of the days who's memories will last long into the winter!

All in all a real fun day!
Lakewinn1 is offline   Reply With Quote