Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-04-2017, 04:45 PM   #1
NH_boater

Default boat accident

https://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/20...Y2JdO/amp.html
NH_boater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 06:11 PM   #2
ApS

Exclamation Boston Whaler: Formerly Safe...

The Boston Globe usually won't permit me to read the article, but it did this time.

Quote:
"Two people sustained minor injuries Sunday after they were thrown from a boat on Lake Winnipesaukee, officials said.

"Around 6 p.m., the New Hampshire State Police Marine Patrol responded to a report of a boating accident in Wolfeboro, N.H. The operator of the 13-foot Boston Whaler, Stephen Young, 64, of Cumberland R.I., treaded water for “several minutes” after being thrown from the boat while trying to find his passenger, a 7-year-old boy who was wearing a life vest. Unable to find the boy in choppy waters, Young swam to shore for help. He was later taken to the hospital.​

"Police found the boy on shore around 6:30 p.m., officials said. He had “spent significant time in the water” before making it to land, the Marine Patrol said."
I received an email at 6-PM saying:

Quote:
"We just had a news report of a boating accident off Thomas Point, Tuftonboro Neck, at the entrance to Winter Harbor last night, in fog after dark. Two people were thrown from the boat wearing life jackets, got separated, then eventually rescued, and the boat went around and around until it run out of gas."
I'm pretty sure I've seen this boat making runs between some like-minded kids and the Marriott Compound. It's 7:12-PM now on Lake Winnipesaukee, and there's plenty of light. I don't understand how such a busy location could miss such an ejection—especially on Labor Day Weekend.

I got off the water early today, 'cause the extended weekend started getting crazy—with violations everywhere—including our resident Chase scofflaw who raced his Donzi through the Libby Museum area at his usual weekend-top-speed.

It looks like I have to remove my recommendation of the Boston Whaler as a safe boat for Lake Winnipesaukee.

Old 09-04-2017, 07:31 PM   #3
FlyingScot

Very glad they're safe.

But not surprised this is "under investigation"... Two people thrown from a Whaler at separate times? The man unable to locate the boy even while the man was still in the boat? Swims to shore alone?
FlyingScot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 07:31 PM   #4
Billy Bob

Default BOSTON whaler

One incident with no details and you are going to trash the Whaler history for safe boats ?
Any boat can be a problem when handled poorly
Billy Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 09:10 PM   #5
ishoot308

Thanked 4,924 Times in 1,906 Posts

Very glad it ended with no one hurt or dead! It could of been much different.... Thank God it didn't!...

Dan
Old 09-05-2017, 03:03 PM   #6
noreast

Yes, That has to be the luckiest and best outcome I've ever heard from a boat accident with such a young child. That is amazing.
noreast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 03:43 PM   #7
rsmlp

Quote:
Originally Posted by noreast View Post
Yes, That has to be the luckiest and best outcome I've ever heard from a boat accident with such a young child. That is amazing.
Impressive that a 7 yr old can swim to shore in rough water even with a life jacket on. Kudos to him/her! An experience they will never forget...
rsmlp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 04:04 PM   #8
Bear Guy

Here's the WMUR story:
http://www.wmur.com/article/man-boy-...earch/12170642

PeterG, it appears the globe article is poorly phrased. WMUR makes it sound like both went in the water at the same time, and the elder treaded water trying to locate the child, before swimming to shore.

Last edited by Bear Guy; 09-05-2017 at 05:07 PM. Reason: grammar
Bear Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 04:18 PM   #9
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts
Default LADASUN Article

Claims the water was cold and the child was treated for hypothermia?
Old 09-05-2017, 05:04 PM   #10
Lakemamma

So glad they are both ok.
Lakemamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 06:15 PM   #11
FlyingScot

Thanks, Bear! A much better recap than the Globe. WMUR also implies that the 64 year old was not wearing a life jacket. This, and the assumption that he was fully dressed in clothing that was pulling him to the bottom, might explain why he swam to shore without the boy.
Old 09-05-2017, 06:44 PM   #12
Patiently Watching

I know the adult boat driver - he is a lifetime resident of Winter Harbor and very responsible. Not sure of the circumstances of the accident, however APS is dead wrong with regard to this boat making 'runs' and I would still say that Boston Whaler is a good safe boat.
Due to foggy conditions I understand the driver was unable to locate the boy in the water...
Patiently Watching is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 07:20 PM   #13
Slickcraft

Thanked 1,999 Times in 913 Posts

In the laconia Sun today:

Quote:
WOLFEBORO — A man and child were injured when they were thrown from their boat near Winter Harbor on Lake Winnipesaukee Saturday evening.
Wolfeboro Fire-Rescue and New Hampshire Marine Patrol were called about 6 p.m. Marine police report that Stephen Young, 64, of Cumberland, Rhode Island, treaded water for several minutes, trying to find his passenger, a 7-year-old boy. He was unable to locate the boy in the choppy water and made it to shore and to a home on Forest Road to get help. He was found at 6:15 p.m. and taken to Huggins Hospital, said Wolfeboro Fire-Rescue.
The boy, who was wearing a life jacket, spent a significant amount of time in the water, according to the Marine Patrol, but was able to swim toward land. Wolfeboro Fire-Rescue reports that the boy was found floating near the mouth of Winter Harbor at about 6:34 p.m. The child was then located by Marine Patrol at a home on Thomas Point in Tuftonboro. The child complained of what Wolfeboro Fire-Rescue called hypothermia but was not taken to a hospital. Tuftonboro Fire-Rescue did evaluate the child’s condition.
The empty 13-foot Boston Whaler, meanwhile, was traveling in circles and was secured by the New Hampshire Marine Patrol. Marine Patrol reports that the weather conditions were poor at the time of the accident due to low visibility and rough water, and is investigating the incident. They remind boaters of the importance of lifejackets and the use of an engine cut-off switch if the vessel is equipped with one. Anyone with information about the incident is encouraged to call Officer Nicholas Boisvert at 603-293-2037, ext. 0.
Slickcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 07:24 PM   #14
Woodsy

The only thing the operator did wrong was not use his safety lanyard (kill switch). He shouldn't be crucified for it!

Woodsy
Old 09-05-2017, 08:24 PM   #15
Descant

Thanked 1,498 Times in 975 Posts

B W's have a long life span. Could this have been anolder boat that did not have the kill switch lanyard?

Any speculation as to how they both got "thrown" from the boat at the same time? I recall an instance a few years ago where a steering breakage suddenly sent a man overboard and left the boat going in circles.

gLAD TO HEAR NO IJURIES

Last edited by Descant; 09-05-2017 at 08:25 PM. Reason: added clarification
Descant is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 08:27 PM   #16
winni83

Lord Almighty APS. Enough of the endless whining, complaining and pontificating. Did some almighty being die and appoint you Lord Of The Lake? Obviously some errors were made. Humans make mistakes; possibly you are the exception. And the 13 foot Whaler is a very safe boat.
winni83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 08:46 PM   #17
FlyingScot

Woodsy/Winni83--I just reread all the posts, half expecting to need to apologize. But I do not think any of them are critical of the captain. Understanding mishaps is an important way to learn, and questioning is part of that. It's pretty standard marine practice.
Old 09-05-2017, 08:57 PM   #18
ApS

Question Slippery Wheel? Slippery Seat? Poorly-Trimmed Outboard?

Again, those hours reported by the LaDaSun are not "after dark". Each ended-up on opposite shores—the shorelines about ¼-mile apart.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
Woodsy/Winni83--I just reread all the posts, half expecting to need to apologize. But I do not think any of them are critical of the captain. Understanding mishaps is an important way to learn, and questioning is part of that. It's pretty standard marine practice.
Yup. Two US Navy Destroyer Captains learned of their new desk jobs recently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Descant View Post
B W's have a long lifespan. Could this have been an older boat that did not have the kill switch lanyard?
The Whaler I referred to earlier, had a Johnson 25-HP (?) outboard that had been affixed for several years. The boat recently got a replacement outboard of unknown lineage.

It occurred to me that particular Thomas Point shoreline has two extremely-long seawalls.

(Where the sailboat sank—last month). Hmmm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Bob View Post
One incident with no details and you are going to trash the Whaler history for safe boats?
A few years ago, I'd hailed the skipper of that 13' Boston Whaler that'd been making Winter Harbor "runs". The towhead-skipper appeared to be 10-11 years old, but seemed to accept my advice. That advice?

I suggested he adjust the trim, so his Johnson outboard wouldn't be trimmed so extremely high. Nothing changed. Nothing changed again when a new outboard got fitted recently.

Extreme trim such as in his outboard will cause extreme responses in handling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Bob View Post
Any boat can be a problem when handled poorly
Agreed—think it was that "slippery steering wheel"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patiently Watching View Post
I know the adult boat driver - he is a lifetime resident of Winter Harbor and very responsible. Not sure of the circumstances of the accident, however APS is dead wrong with regard to this boat making 'runs' and I would still say that Boston Whaler is a good safe boat. Due to foggy conditions I understand the driver was unable to locate the boy in the water...
"Responsible" would be to have PFDs on during inclement weather.

That said, I can't recall any operator of a 13' Boston Whaler inside Winter Harbor whose age would be over 21. It's a 13' Whaler that's hard to miss, as it makes repeated "runs" nearly every day.

>
Old 09-05-2017, 09:12 PM   #19
Patiently Watching

APS - the authority on all things. I'm guessing he is sitting on the couch, alone, wolfing down Louie's Pizza and coming up with all sorts of theories on all things Lake Winni.

The boat involved in the accident this weekend is unrelated to the one making 'runs' and/or the towhead kids to which you refer. As for a PFD, yes it may have been a good idea however I and many other experienced boaters do sometimes have the lake without wearing one.

An adult driving a small Boston Whaler isn't so rare... My wife in her early 50's drives and loves her 13' 25hp Whaler. They are great boats, easy to drive, easy to maintain and will last a lifetime.

Rather than complain about everyone else, why don't you spend a little time picking up all the crap strewn around your hand-me-down lakefront home.
Patiently Watching is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 07:54 AM   #20
The Real BigGuy

Why the personal attack?

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
The Real BigGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 08:06 AM   #21
Doobs41378

Quote:
APS - the authority on all things. I'm guessing he is sitting on the couch, alone, wolfing down Louie's Pizza and coming up with all sorts of theories on all things Lake Winni.

The boat involved in the accident this weekend is unrelated to the one making 'runs' and/or the towhead kids to which you refer. As for a PFD, yes it may have been a good idea however I and many other experienced boaters do sometimes have the lake without wearing one.

An adult driving a small Boston Whaler isn't so rare... My wife in her early 50's drives and loves her 13' 25hp Whaler. They are great boats, easy to drive, easy to maintain and will last a lifetime.

Rather than complain about everyone else, why don't you spend a little time picking up all the crap strewn around your hand-me-down lakefront home.

Seems uncalled for....

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
Doobs41378 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 08:11 AM   #22
joey2665

Thanked 1,007 Times in 648 Posts

Quote:

As much as you may disagree I think you went too far with your response
joey2665 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 08:39 AM   #23
Phantom

In one sense "I totally get it"

(1) ..... he opened by saying he knew the boat driver ! Thus, a tighter connection to this incident (that thankfully turned out okay in the end). So in a sense he is emotionally attached to this thread.

(2) We all know that APS just loves to "push buttons"

Was his last sentence in his post needed --- probably not --- and I would venture that upon reflection, Patiently Watching would agree also ... it was his typing in the "heat of the moment" ............... thus I get it

I cannot begin to tell you how many responses I have typed, left to sit for 5 minutes, reread, and ultimately simply deleted and made no response. Patiently Waiting is only guilty of not giving it the 5 minutes

Old 09-06-2017, 12:03 PM   #24
Poor Richard

Well that escalated quickly!
Attached Images

Poor Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 12:46 PM   #25
Phantom

Now THAT's funny Poor Richard !!!!

Where the hell has that picture been all these years !!

Old 09-06-2017, 02:54 PM   #26
Descant

Thanked 1,498 Times in 975 Posts

Poor Richard:

Click HERE for "Thanks" button.
Descant is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 06:15 PM   #27
MAXUM

Thanked 1,942 Times in 802 Posts

Louie's Pizza makes a pretty good pie.... just sayin'
MAXUM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 08:18 PM   #28
ApS

Thumbs down Fake News Arrives...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom View Post
In one sense "I totally get it"
(1) ..... he opened by saying he knew the boat driver ! Thus, a tighter connection to this incident (that thankfully turned out okay in the end). So in a sense he is emotionally attached to this thread.
(2) We all know that APS just loves to "push buttons"
Was his last sentence in his post needed --- probably not --- and I would venture that upon reflection, Patiently Watching would agree also ... it was his typing in the "heat of the moment" ............... thus I get it
I cannot begin to tell you how many responses I have typed, left to sit for 5 minutes, reread, and ultimately simply deleted and made no response. Patiently Waiting is only guilty of not giving it the 5 minutes
Who would want to be "the friend" of a named boater in a serious boating accident?

No denial of a poorly-trimmed outboard's effect on handling?

But there is some "Non-Fake News" among the "Fake News".

Non-Fake News: Yesterday, I did get a Louis Pizza to celebrate the purchase of my newest boat. It was a day-long, lunch-deprived, transport-plagued drive—and breakfast was at 6-AM.

I don't belong to Fake Book, as it is privacy-invasive—'was astonished to be asked to join—with ample proof that FB is following me around, even though I'm not a member!

Fake News: Couch? The pizza was summarily demolished at the pizza shop.

Non-Fake News: It is the same home built by my Dad.

Fake News: Hand-me-down? A neighbor advised me of the sign out front, so I bought it on the open market from a bankruptcy court in Maine. Wolfeboro Realtor Steve Patrequin can fill in the details. Wolfeboro Realtor Ron(?) Paradise once told me, "This remains the best purchase of Winnipesaukee lakefront property in 25 years".

Non-Fake News: "the authority on all things". True: Astrophysics is beyond my ken.

Fake News: "Crap-strewn yard". Closing-up begins with arrival of family members before this weekend. (Like today, rain-dependent). This season, they're in charge of closing up.

Non-Fake News: "alone". True—but since April, I don't think I've had a week without friends or company.

Notice PW's own complaint was bracketed with his multi-complaints?

Today, a friend referred to the Thomas Point / Marriott Community area as "Winnipesaukee's 'Bermuda-Triangle'".

True enough: I wrote here about being caught between two cruiser wakes off that Marriott Community, only to be ejected off my catamaran. Not far away, a 15-y-o was a fatal Jet-Ski victim. A sailboat sank in the same area last month.

Thomas Point's bottleneck has some very nasty wakes: Johnson's Cove's rafters empty out in late afternoons, creating a Meredith-Bay-NWZ-style "agitation-cycle" right at the bottleneck. This is the same location where long seawalls can return these sea-going wake "insults" to unsuspecting (and small) Boston Whalers.

Now, IF I truly liked to "push buttons", wouldn't I have asked who was at the helm of the Boston Whaler involved?

Old 09-06-2017, 08:49 PM   #29
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,147 Times in 894 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApS View Post
Wolfeboro Realtor Ron(?) Paradise once told me, "This remains the best purchase of Winnipesaukee lakefront property in 25 years".
I just wanted to point out that hundreds of people, if not thousands of people, are looking forward to the day it is the best sale on Winnipesaukee in years!

But, it will probably go for a really low price given all the complaints that you have posted about the area. It sounds like a terrible place to be! No one would want to own in an area like that!
TiltonBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 10:24 PM   #30
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts

Quote:
Who would want to be "the friend" of a named boater in a serious boating accident?

No denial of a poorly-trimmed outboard's effect on handling?

But there is some "Non-Fake News" among the "Fake News".

Non-Fake News: Yesterday, I did get a Louis Pizza to celebrate the purchase of my newest boat. It was a day-long, lunch-deprived, transport-plagued drive—and breakfast was at 6-AM.

I don't belong to Fake Book, as it is privacy-invasive—'was astonished to be asked to join—with ample proof that FB is following me around, even though I'm not a member!

Fake News: Couch? The pizza was summarily demolished at the pizza shop.
Non-Fake News: It is the same home built by my Dad.

Fake News: Hand-me-down? A neighbor advised me of the sign out front, so I bought it on the open market from a bankruptcy court in Maine. Wolfeboro Realtor Steve Patrequin can fill in the details. Wolfeboro Realtor Ron(?) Paradise once told me, "This remains the best purchase of Winnipesaukee lakefront property in 25 years".

Non-Fake News: "the authority on all things". True: Astrophysics is beyond my ken.

Fake News: "Crap-strewn yard". Closing-up begins with arrival of family members before this weekend. (Like today, rain-dependent). This season, they're in charge of closing up.

Non-Fake News: "alone". True—but since April, I don't think I've had a week without friends or company.

Notice PW's own complaint was bracketed with his multi-complaints?_____________________

Today, a friend referred to the Thomas Point / Marriott Community area as "Winnipesaukee's 'Bermuda-Triangle'".

True enough: I wrote here about being caught between two cruiser wakes off that Marriott Community, only to be ejected off my catamaran. Not far away, a 15-y-o was a fatal Jet-Ski victim. A sailboat sank in the same area last month.

Thomas Point's bottleneck has some very nasty wakes: Johnson's Cove's rafters empty out in late afternoons, creating a Meredith-Bay-NWZ-style "agitation-cycle" right at the bottleneck. This is the same location where long seawalls can return these sea-going wake "insults" to unsuspecting (and small) Boston Whalers.

Now, IF I truly liked to "push buttons", wouldn't I have asked who was at the helm of the Boston Whaler involved?

The answer to your question "Who would want to be"the friend" of an un-named boater in a serious boating accident? ...

If I were truly a friend of that boater, I am going to be that friend through thick and thin, and to be supportive as needed. That is when a person needs their friend(s).

Sent from my SM-T580 using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
Old 09-07-2017, 06:28 AM   #31
Phantom

APS --

Start reading the threads instead of reading what you want into them ..... i.e "pushing buttons"

Patiently wrote: "I know the adult boat driver - he is a lifetime resident of Winter Harbor and very responsible."

No where does it mention "friend"! The inference is pretty clear, he's a neighbor ..... now, if he also happens to be a "friend", as Upthesaukee so eloquently put it -- those are people I want around me !

Time to take that 5 minute break from your keyboard !

Old 09-07-2017, 08:10 AM   #32
chipj29

Quote:
Have you, or any of your friends or family ever been in a serious car accident?
Old 09-07-2017, 08:35 AM   #33
Nauset

I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it. George Bernard Shaw
Nauset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 10:17 AM   #34
MAXUM

Thanked 1,942 Times in 802 Posts

Courtesy of Mac Davis

Back a few months ago, I was headlinin' a great big nightclub...
And they put me up a couple days early, I came in a couple days early
And they put me up in what they call the "Star Suite",
Now here I am, headlinin' in one of the biggest nightclubs
In the country and I wake up at eight o'clock in the morning
In this "Star Suite"...

...All by myself.
But I did what I've always done, man, to cheer myself up,
I picked up my guitar, I sat down and I wrote me a little song.
Now this is how it feels to be alone at the top of the hill,
Tryin' to figure out why.

Oh Lord, it's hard to be humble
When you're perfect in every way
I can't wait to look in the mirror
'Cause I get better lookin' each day
To know me is to love me
I must be a hell of a man
But I'm doin' the best that I can!

I used to have a girlfriend
But I guess she just couldn't compete
With all of these love-starved women
Who keep clamoring at my feet
Well I could probably find me another
But I guess they're all in awe of me
Who cares? I never get lonesome
'Cause I treasure my own company.

Oh...
When you're perfect in every way
I can't wait to look in the mirror
'Cause I get better lookin' each day
To know me is to love me
I must be a hell of a man
But I'm doin' the best that I can!

I guess you could say I'm a loner
A cowboy outlaw, tough and proud
Well, I could have lotsa friends if I wanted,
But then I wouldn't stand out from the crowd
Some folks say that I'm "egotistical",
Hell, I don't even know what that means!
I guess it has something to do with the way
That I fill out my skin-tight blue jeans

Oh and I'll hit my own THANKS button for that contribution!
MAXUM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 07:24 AM   #35
ApS

Question NHMP Investigators Pushing the Right Buttons...?

This discussion could have ended with...
Quote:
"This case is under investigation by NHMP".
In their investigation, what buttons would the NHMP have pushed?

Back in August, I described a 5-yr-old at the helm, so how absurd would it be to have a 7-yr-old at the steering wheel?

(And an adult without a PFD navigating in fog?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom View Post
APS --

Start reading the threads instead of reading what you want into them ..... i.e "pushing buttons"

Patiently wrote: "I know the adult boat driver - he is a lifetime resident of Winter Harbor and very responsible."

Nowhere does it mention "friend"! The inference is pretty clear, he's a neighbor ..... now, if he also happens to be a "friend", as Upthesaukee so eloquently put it -- those are people I want around me !

Time to take that 5 minute break from your keyboard !
Alternatively, I infer that PW shares ownership-pride with a duplicate 13' Boston Whaler in the neighborhood.

As for reading comprehension, compare what I wrote (in red, below)

with the "eloquent quote" (in yellow, attached):

Quote:
"Who would want to be "the friend" of a named boater in a serious boating accident?"
Attached Images

ApS is offline   Reply With Quote