Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > History
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-10-2008, 09:47 AM   #1
Chickie

Default Clark Block

Can anyone tell me where the Clark Block was located in Lakeport? The Whittier book states it was built by Samuel C. Clark in 1870 but does not give its location.

Thanks
Chickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 08:20 PM   #2
SteveA
Deceased Member

Thanked 2,053 Times in 496 Posts
Default Maybe this will help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickie View Post
Can anyone tell me where the Clark Block was located in Lakeport? The Whittier book states it was built by Samuel C. Clark in 1870 but does not give its location.

Thanks
Chickie... during my research into the history of Lake Shore Park.. I found this reference online. I found a few Lake Shore Park pictures and references in the book.

http://books.google.com/books?id=hAn...WpyS2dkA&hl=en

If you use the "search" field, and enter "Clark" you will find several references to a Clark Family in Lakeport in the late 1800's. Nothing I could find for "Clark Block"

Also found this reference in a different old book with direct hits for a Samuel Clark in Lakeport.

http://books.google.com/books?id=PHP...l2LKPje0&hl=en

Hope this helps.

Good Luck!

SteveA
Old 03-12-2008, 10:32 AM   #3
Chickie

Default Clark History

Thank you so much, Steve. I had never come across that particular book on genealogies of New Hampshire families. I have been researching several local families, among them Samuel C. Clark, and this has added new facts and information to my knowledge of the family.

I was familiar with the other book but do not have a copy of it. I will enjoy going through the histories of some of the prominent people of the day. There are some wonderful photos included in it. It is a must read for anyone interested in local history.

I have learned that the Clark Block was located on the southerly side of Elm Street in Lakeport. It was across the street from Wanda's Beauty Shop and the line of buildings which are still there today. I remember the building being there years ago, but didn't know the name of it. I believe it was torn down around 1960.

Thanks again. This has been most helpful and is much appreciated.
Old 03-12-2008, 03:42 PM   #4
SteveA
Deceased Member

Thanked 2,053 Times in 496 Posts
Default Your Welcome

You may have already seen this website.. lots of good stuff on all of Belknap County

http://www.nh.searchroots.com/belknap.html
Old 03-13-2008, 03:43 PM   #5
Chickie

Default Samuel C. Clark

Steve,

I have visited the Belknap County site before. There is a lot of very interesting information on it and Samuel C. Clark is on the list of attorneys practicing law here in the early days.

There are a number of obituaries listed which I have been interested in reading but most of them don't have links to them. I have tried e-mailing the webmaster, as she suggests doing if you find an obituary of interest, but have never gotten a reply. One of the obituaries is that of Octavia Clark. She was the wife of Samuel C. Clark's son, Samuel Clark, Jr. who operated a grocery store in Lakeport under the name of Tucker & Clark.

Thanks for your help.
Sponsored Links