Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Home, Cottage or Land Maintenance
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 12-20-2010, 12:14 PM   #1
dpg

Default Skiffington Homes

Is Skiffington still building/active in and around the Suissevale area? What do you know about him, good/bad? Thanks.
dpg is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dpg For This Useful Post:
Sunset View (01-30-2011)
Old 12-20-2010, 08:06 PM   #2
songkrai

Joe is a great guy. Been in this business for a long time. He has built some of the most beautiful homes here.

Keep in mind though that he sub contracts - as many builders do - sometimes the framing, roof, heating system, etc. Some of the subs are great and some leave a lot to be desired.

With any builder, you have to be real specific on what you want. And if you can't be here and visit while house is being built then have a friend check things out from time to time.

But be real specific on exactly what you want.

Hiring a good architect can help you avoid some mistakes or items that should be in every home now.
songkrai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 08:31 PM   #3
Awdow

Default Just had someone buy one of his homes

Great home and follow up for my client. Check out his site, in particular the testimonials, http://www.skiffingtonhomes.com/.
Awdow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 07:10 AM   #4
dpg

Thanks...I thought he (still) built homes for a regular schmuck like me I recall his homes from years ago that sold in the 89,000 price range. Guess he's "graduated"
dpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 04:36 PM   #5
songkrai

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpg View Post
Thanks...I thought he (still) built homes for a regular schmuck like me I recall his homes from years ago that sold in the 89,000 price range. Guess he's "graduated"
Well with that in mind, it might be better to start to investigage modular pre-built homes.
songkrai is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-21-2010, 06:06 PM   #6
goodguys

Default Modular Homes

Skiffington is good. If you want a great modular we can help. We can also get you financed do the site work etc. AND WE ONLY SUB OUT THE ELECTRIC AND PLUMBING. 603-319-1928.
goodguys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 10:26 AM   #7
Loony Singer

Default yep, he has moved upscale for sure!

10 years ago right about now, Joe was building our planned-for retirement home. We've been very happy with the result.

For years, we drove by the roadside sign near Suissevale that advertised Skiffington homes at Suissevale for $99,000. I teased Joe about that, told him that I'd definitely buy one at that price. He took the dollar figure off the sign not long afterwards.

Joe has indeed moved upscale to the $3M plus range, but as of a couple of years ago, I think he was still doing the occasional Suissevale project. Probably more in the $300K + range, if I remember.

He was also involved in a small off-lake project, Davis Farms (?), off 109 near Suissevale. I think those places went for somewhere around $350K.

He's a real success story, no matter how you look at it.
Loony Singer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 11:18 AM   #8
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

If you know what you want, it doesn't hurt to talk to any contractor. And at this point, in this economy they are all hurting and look for work. You do have to be careful though about what they may or may not sub-contract out. I would put it into the contract that all subcontractors used must meet with your approval before hand, and that you have the right to suggest a particular sub contractor if one doesn't meet with your approval....

All the big contractors in the Lakes region are very proud of their Million Dollar homes, however most realize, that the bread is butter by the more modest homes, that pay the bills in between the sales of the million dollar jobs. So don't let a website of mansions scare you away from talking to a contractor...

As an aside, I have always thought that Skiffington did a nice job, however I have never been convinced that the quality of his homes match what he thought he should be able to get for them.... With that said I am a tough grader when it comes to things like that... and hearing in earlier posts that he subs out work, I guess I can understand why I have felt that way with his homes that I have looked at....
Old 12-22-2010, 11:38 PM   #9
gf2020

Skiffington still owns several lots in Suissevale as well as the lots in the Farm Road development off Ossipee Mountain Road, mentioned above. In this climate I'm sure he would build whatever a potential buyer was interested in.
gf2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 03:03 PM   #10
Glove

Default Love our Skiffington home

We absolutely love our Skiffington home that we bought in 2008. Joe listened to our every concern, and helped us make the right decisions at every turn. And we ultimately paid much less for our home than many of his other clients (who have more money and much nicer homes). I suspect that if you chat with Joe and let him know what you're interested in, he'll let you know what he can and what he can't do for you. All builders need work these days. We have absolutely zero regrets having gone with Skifffington.
Glove is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Glove For This Useful Post:
gf2020 (01-24-2011)
Old 01-28-2011, 05:46 PM   #11
phoenix

Joe built us a home in Far echo way back in 1991 and we were very happy
Old 01-29-2011, 10:42 AM   #12
Buckyshoes

Default Skiffington delivers top quality

Skiffington Homes built a house for me back in 2006. I bought the lot myself and Joe did the tear-down and re-construction. I’ve built several houses over the years and this was, by far, the best experience I have ever had. We live in Oregon, so the project had to be managed from my side, from 3,500 miles away. It seems like Joe never sleeps, because regardless of where and what time zone I sent Joe an email from, I got an immediate reply. He managed every detail and then some. His unfailing style of customer satisfaction trickles down to all of his people to include his subs. Needless to say, we are very happy with the final results. The house is beautiful, functional and efficient. I wouldn’t hesitate to use Joe again or recommend him for anyone else to do the same. You won’t be disappointed.
Buckyshoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 12:12 PM   #13
Sunset View

Default "Winnipesaukee's Best Builder"

Joe Skiffington built our first home in 1991. We loved the quality, fit / finish and most especially, dealing with Joe. We vividly remember calling Joe three or four years after moving in because we didn't like a vanity in one of the bathrooms.........amazingly, Joe came back and replaced the vanity at no charge just to make sure my wife and I were completely happy.......that kind of customer service follow-through and satisfaction is very hard to come by today, that is, if you can find it at all! We knew then as we still do today, there are no other builders on Winnipesaukee other than Joe Skiffington.

Our family has grown and circumstances led us to consider building or moving to a new home on Winnipesaukee. When the final decision was made to build, it took us less than 2 minutes to decide who would be doing the building. From start to finish, the entire process was flawless........Joe managed everything, from demolition, to permits, to movers,to final closing. Needless to say, we have an unbelievable new SKiffington home on the original SKiffington lot we purchased in 1991 and it is extraordinary down to the smallest detail and it has exceeded our every expectation!

I want to dispell any rumors about subs and Joe........other than the HVAC and plumbing (Lakeside), Joe Skiffington employs his own crews and they have completed every component of our new home on time, on budget (in many cases, ahead of schedule) with exceptional attention to detail. His crews were at the job every morning at 7am and worked neatly 6 days a week. Always professional and highly effecient throughout the entire process. We loved his crews, got to know them all by name and they were all top-shelf reflections of Joe Skiffington himself.

A word or two about Joe Skiffington; he is truly unique! Above all, he has wonderful humility. He returns phone calls instantly, never makes the customer feel like they are asking a stupid question, sends daily pictures and email updates. He possesses the most incredible can-do attitude like no one you have ever met and above all, he is beyond honest as the day is long, completely trustworthy and highly accountable. Unlike other builders, he doesn't whine, never makes excuses and prides himself on being held accountable and fully responsible..............what a refreshing professional.

Joe takes great personal pride in everything that has the SKiffington Homes name on it; as a result, there were no short-cuts taken, no patch work, no rushing, no cuttting corners and above all, nothing done without the customer having complete confidence the job is being completed right the first time.

As noted, this is our second home built by Skifffington Homes and for us, there are no other builders in NH's lakes region. NONE! Joe cares deeply about the environment and he personally saw to it when we demo'd our home, that those less fortunate in the area would receive all of our applanaces, furnaces, garage doors, windows, cabinets, etc, through habitat for humanity.

Joe Skiffington is far more than an exceptional builder, he is an extraordinary human being. He is dedicated to doing things right, taking care of those that need help and employing a team of professionals that follow those same guidlines to a "T" and he takes the same great personal pride in every one of his homes, from Suissvale to Governor's Island.

If you are thinking about building a new home no matter what your price range, it would be a huge mistake to not meet with Joe Skiffington first! There isn't another buider in the Lakes Region that comes close to matching the total value proposition you receive by purchasing a Skiffington Home!
Sunset View is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 09:17 PM   #14
SCB

Default Skiffiington Homes

Skiffington has been building in the area for many years. As with any successful business it grows overtime. That is exactly what has happened with Skiffington. He has developed into a premier builder in the Lakes Region. He is a student of the business and continues to study and learn new technologies and methods. His attention to detail is exemplar. His organizational skills put his clients at ease. There is a clear reason for his success.
SCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 02:17 PM   #15
Curly

Default Very Satisfied Client

We began working with Joe Skiffington approximately five years ago on a new waterfront home on Lake Winnipesaukee. Having completed the building process and lived in our home for about 3 1/2 years now, we have had an outstanding experience and are a very satisfied client. During the construction process, Joe had patience with us as we modified a few things through the building process. Joe is a very client centric builder who wants his clients to be one-hundred percent satisfied with their homes. A testimony to his successful business model (very high quality product at a reasonable price) is that Skiffington Homes remains active, building in this difficult economy while many other builders have scaled back or shut down. We absolutely love our home and would go through the building process again. Not only is he a great builder, he is also a man of character and integrity.
Curly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 03:29 PM   #16
phoenix

one more think about Joe. When we had our house built by him , we had to pick out colors, roof, kitchen etc. Well the problem was we were in Phoenix so Joe flew across the country with all his samples and sat down with us to complete all the options now that is customer service
Old 01-30-2011, 06:21 PM   #17
secondcurve

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix View Post
one more think about Joe. When we had our house built by him , we had to pick out colors, roof, kitchen etc. Well the problem was we were in Phoenix so Joe flew across the country with all his samples and sat down with us to complete all the options now that is customer service
I guess Joe had a heck of a lot of margin in the construction of your house!
secondcurve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 07:16 PM   #18
Sunset View

Default LIKE SOUTHWEST AIRLINES, Joe likes his customers!!!

Joe likes customers, the other builders on Winni care more about money and yes margin! You see, Joe SKiffington would rather cut his margin (mark-up) by 2-3% and ensure having a lifetime customer who is wildly happy with their home...in the end, it's a far more efficient use of marketing dollars........I have told 50 people how pleased I am with Joe..if 50% of his customers do the same thing he will never need to buy another SKiffington Homes Sign!!

If you find another builder on Winnipesaukee that can package all the qualities Joe puts into one of his homes, please let us all know, btw, I'll take the bet there isn't a one who comes close.

Again, it's the whole package not just price. Outstanding quality, great follow-up after the sale, credibility in everything he says he will do, he does and finally, integrity....no one is better, NO ONE!
Sunset View is offline   Reply With Quote