Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Support Forum > Site Support Forum
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 09-22-2020, 04:03 PM   #1
mswlogo

Default We want the same thing, don't we?

Let's talk. Let's find some common ground and try to diffuse the polarization we see EVERY WHERE today.

I really like this forum, but the "rightness" in many threads is a bit of a turn off, so I was thinking of just going elsewhere. But I really value the information and caring for one another I do see in this forum. So I'm going out on the edge here and see if we can find some common ground and see if we can reduce the polarization. Starting HERE.

You may ask what does this have to do with lakes forum. It has a lot to do with it. Because I think the forum is polarizing and is close to driving some folks away, like me). And banning discussion doesn't help. So I'm trying this approach. Let's talk about.

If you do post in this thread. Try to put yourself in the others shoes. How they were brought up. What they might have had to deal with etc. Try not to throw insults. I know that can be hard and I'm just as guilty as anyone doing that. Try not to say something to just get a rise out of someone.

There is one thing we all sure have in common. We absolutely love the lakes region. Whether you have a small place on an island, a slip, water front home, shared or private, rent or regularly visit. We all love it. Let's start there that we agree with that.

Here are some other things I'm pretty sure we can agree on.

Common:

Clean lakes
Low taxes
Affordable lake property
Reasonable usage of Lakes and Properties around the lakes
A nice town center (not over the top, but not a dump)
Some reasonable level of services from the town.
Good schools (whether you have children or not).
Woman's rights (equal pay).

Left leaning:

Restrict some watercraft.
Restrict speed

Right leaning:

No Restriction on any watercraft.
No Restriction on speed

If you disagree with what I put above let's hear why YOU think that's the case.

Some background.

I call myself a true blue democrat (but I'm way more left now because of the polarization !!!, we were independent for decades). Let me give you some history. When Reagan beat Carter I was bummed. I loved Carter, he did a lot BTW for Clean Water and Protecting 56 million acres in Alaska (https://legal-planet.org/2019/06/20/...-jimmy-carter/). I was not thrilled with Reagan being elected. But in the end I really liked Reagan (except his Prop 2 1/2 has caused some serious side effects, but he had good intent because property taxes were out of control in CA at the time). When Clinton beat Bush Senior, I was bummed. But I'd keep an open mind. I loved Clinton (despite his major flaws). Bush junior, I never liked while in office, mostly because Cheney bamboozled him and us into a war that never should have happened. But post his term, I've grown to really like Bush Jr.. I loved Trump before the election. I loved the Apprentice (up until celebrity Apprentice, he had the weirdest Celebrities though).

But now... wait I'm not gonna say what I really feel because I want this to start off on a good tone and I'll let some others jump in.

Are you game to find the most common ground we can, I bet when we dig deep we all want the same thing.
The Following User Says Thank You to mswlogo For This Useful Post:
camp guy (09-22-2020)
Old 09-22-2020, 04:26 PM   #2
Reilly

Default All together ???

Are you really serious ??? Trolling ???
The Following User Says Thank You to Reilly For This Useful Post:
subaruliving (06-02-2021)
Old 09-22-2020, 04:53 PM   #3
jbolty

I think most sane adults want the same thing but there is a segment driven by various media that has an interest in stirring up trouble. The solution seems to be get off the internet. and of course since everything is taken to an extreme no one dares give an inch. I really miss spitired debate about issues. We have all seen the examples.

D: we should help the homeless
R: but we should make sure the money is well spent
D: why do you hate homeless people?

then the fight starts
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jbolty For This Useful Post:
garysanfran (09-22-2020), mswlogo (09-22-2020)
Old 09-22-2020, 04:56 PM   #4
Descant

Thanked 1,498 Times in 975 Posts

I think this moved too quickly to right vs left issues and politics. Not appropriate to this forum.Those who have been posting for awhile understand that there are differences within the family and we forgive. Instead of starting everyday with "New Posts", read the threads where there is more commonality, Boating, Home and camp, for example.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Descant For This Useful Post:
garysanfran (09-22-2020), ishoot308 (09-22-2020), TiltonBB (09-22-2020), Top-Water (09-22-2020)
Old 09-22-2020, 05:00 PM   #5
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,959 Times in 1,210 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbolty View Post
I think most sane adults want the same thing but there is a segment driven by various media that has an interest in stirring up trouble. The solution seems to be get off the internet. and of course since everything is taken to an extreme no one dares give an inch. I really miss spitired debate about issues. We have all seen the examples.

then the fight starts
I used an almost identical example today in my rhetoric class to illustrate just how difficult it is to have meaningful conversation. The shocking part? All the students raised their hands when I asked if they'd been involved in that type of interaction.

Though it doesn't really apply to the Lakes Region, and I'm not sure I've seen it badly enough on this forum to create a new post, the OP is right.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
Sponsored Links
Old 09-22-2020, 06:25 PM   #6
jbolty

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkxingu View Post
I used an almost identical example today in my rhetoric class to illustrate just how difficult it is to have meaningful conversation. The shocking part? All the students raised their hands when I asked if they'd been involved in that type of interaction.

Though it doesn't really apply to the Lakes Region, and I'm not sure I've seen it badly enough on this forum to create a new post, the OP is right.

Right, not really the place. There is a lot more common ground and thoughtful conversation face to face.

one of my friends is as far left as you can get but we can still discuss things. whether we agree or not we at least can explain a rational reason why we have the opinion we do.
Old 09-22-2020, 06:41 PM   #7
mswlogo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbolty View Post

then the fight starts
I agree.

I think many of us are agreeing that the non face to face is part of the problem.

Especially now with COVID there will be even less face to face. So we need to figure it out.
Old 09-22-2020, 06:46 PM   #8
Mr. V

The problem is that the country is divided (that's nothing new) AND the internet gives a ready forum to argue one's position and attack the naysayers.

Back in the day you'd have to write a letter to the editor: now just tap a few keys and the world will have an opportunity to hear what you have to say about it.

Progress?

I think not.

Trading off civility for immediacy is fallacious abd counter-productive but I fear most could care less, they just want to post whatever brainfart is on their mind.
Old 09-22-2020, 06:58 PM   #9
jbolty

Quote:
Originally Posted by mswlogo View Post
I agree.

I think many of us are agreeing that the non face to face is part of the problem.

Especially now with COVID there will be even less face to face. So we need to figure it out.
Hard, anyone younger than about 30 was raised with technology
Attached Images

Old 09-22-2020, 07:04 PM   #10
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,146 Times in 893 Posts

While the initial post may have started with good intentions by the last paragraph it devolved into politics. The Webmaster has repeatedly said that he does not want that here and i agree. There are plenty of places on the internet to vent about your political views. This is not one of them
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to TiltonBB For This Useful Post:
baerkjkr (09-23-2020), Biggd (09-23-2020), Descant (09-22-2020), ishoot308 (09-22-2020), Loub52 (09-23-2020), MRD (09-23-2020), Phantom (09-23-2020), SAMIAM (09-23-2020), Top-Water (09-22-2020), webmaster (09-23-2020)
Old 09-22-2020, 08:15 PM   #11
ApS

Arrow Watch the Short Trailer (Review)

Quote:
I agree.

WBUR, Boston, Netflix shows "Why Facebook is Evil"...

https://www.wbur.org/hereandnow/2020...lemma-director
Old 09-23-2020, 01:08 AM   #12
mswlogo

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiltonBB View Post
While the initial post may have started with good intentions by the last paragraph it devolved into politics. The Webmaster has repeatedly said that he does not want that here and i agree. There are plenty of places on the internet to vent about your political views. This is not one of them
And a Pence rally thread isn't POLITICAL !!!

Nor a Trump boat parade thread.

Moultonborough continues to polarize thread.

You're basically saying take your political views some where else because they don't agree with yours.

See ya.
Old 09-23-2020, 04:38 AM   #13
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,959 Times in 1,210 Posts

Quote:
And a Pence rally thread isn't POLITICAL !!!

Nor a Trump boat parade thread.

Moultonborough continues to polarize thread.

You're basically saying take your political views some where else because they don't agree with yours.

See ya.
I think the difference is between local and national politics. It's the "Winnipesaukee Forum," after all.

I'm not quite sure why you're making such a big deal about this. You came on as a new member not long ago creating great threads with interesting ideas on buying in the area and now you've moved to criticizing the forum and other members.

It's simple: we're not all in agreement on politics, and some politics don't relate to the forum's intent, but overall, with very few exceptions outside of some Covid hoopla, we make it work.

I've gotten much help here—see the thread about a fellow forum member taking the time to teach my son how to diagnose and fix his outboard problem a month ago—and the many positives have far outweighed the few "issues" I've seen.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to thinkxingu For This Useful Post:
Descant (09-23-2020), Doobs41378 (09-23-2020), ishoot308 (09-23-2020), Slickcraft (09-23-2020), TiltonBB (09-23-2020)
Old 09-23-2020, 05:36 AM   #14
Susie Cougar

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkxingu View Post
I think the difference is between local and national politics. It's the "Winnipesaukee Forum," after all.
I'm not quite sure why you're making such a big deal about this. You came on as a new member not long ago creating great threads with interesting ideas on buying in the area and now you've moved to criticizing the forum and other members.
Yes. I was thoroughly enjoying all of your posts in your quest to find a new home. Then something happened, and you took a sharp right turn.
Come on back! And how are things going with your house search?
Old 09-23-2020, 05:55 AM   #15
Garcia

I appreciate the effort to seek out commonality.
The Following User Says Thank You to Garcia For This Useful Post:
Loub52 (09-24-2020)
Old 09-23-2020, 06:37 AM   #16
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,625 Times in 561 Posts

I totally disagree that the forum is full of "polarization" as you describe it.
I find the people on this forum to be tremendously friendly and helpful to anyone seeking or sharing information about anything around the lakes region.
Sure, people take issue with each other now and then but, thanks to Dan it does not involve politics.
I just didn't like the tone of your post. Please post the left/right Regan/Carter stuff on another forum.
Old 09-23-2020, 06:58 AM   #17
gillygirl

I think he’s gone for good.

Sent from my iPad using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
Old 09-23-2020, 07:20 AM   #18
gillygirl

An example of two people with opposing ideals who knew how, not only to get along, but become good friends.

https://www.startribune.com/rbg-and-...ion/572497291/

Old 09-23-2020, 07:38 AM   #19
MotorHead

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMIAM View Post
I totally disagree that the forum is full of "polarization" as you describe it.
I find the people on this forum to be tremendously friendly and helpful to anyone seeking or sharing information about anything around the lakes region.
Sure, people take issue with each other now and then but, thanks to Dan it does not involve politics.
I just didn't like the tone of your post. Please post the left/right Regan/Carter stuff on another forum.
Regan/Carter ???
Who ?
Old 09-23-2020, 08:06 AM   #20
Sandy C

Default One simple question.

So while you folks are trying to save the world, or at least this part of it, I'm, still asking if that lady who lost her black cat at Fay's ever found it?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sandy C For This Useful Post:
ishoot308 (09-23-2020), Slickcraft (09-23-2020)
Old 09-24-2020, 07:09 AM   #21
JEEPONLY
Deceased Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gillygirl View Post
I think he’s gone for good.

I hope so. After a few posts, I found him to be, more or less, an insincere troll.
Closed Thread