Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Restaurant Information & Reviews
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 01-07-2009, 04:18 PM   #1
Irish mist

Default Gilford House of Pizza

In these bad economic times I think it's important to be careful when giving a bad review, but in this case I just can't let this go by. I have stopped in the Gilford House of Pizza here and there over the years. Not great, but not bad either. I guess you could say average.

I went in there several weeks ago and ordered a pepper-steak & cheese sub for a family member. As she was eating the sub at home later I could see that she kept looking at it.....so I asked what was wrong. She opened the sub up, and showed me. I was amazed. There was no steak in it......what they had done was scrape up all the burnt, balled-up black remains that you often see on those big metal grills, and dumped it into the sub....I kid you not !

I have never seen anything like this. It was a sub made up of the burnt, leftover scrappings of the day. I might have a strange sense of humour, but we are still laughing about this today. I'm not happy about this, and I'm not going back there.....but the utter gall of it all is just laughable. I have often seen this burnt stuff on the grill scrapped away....so to get it in a sub, man, just very strange.
________
Baby mac

Last edited by Irish mist; 02-27-2011 at 10:37 PM.
Irish mist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 06:09 PM   #2
sky_nh

Unhappy How DARE you complain!!!

Based on past responses by some in this forum who feel that everything is the customer's fault, don't be surprised if a few people blame you for not cooking the sub yourself, for not inspecting it before you left the restaurant, for not teaching your daughter to enjoy grill scrappings, and for actually believing that you have the right to quality, healthy foods from our local establishments (enough sarcasm there?).

In any case, I don't find your story funny. I will give you the benefit of the doubt and assume your story is true, you are not a disgruntled former employee, nor the owner of a competing pizza restaurant, etc.

Assuming the facts are true, at the very least you should contact the store manager and let him/her know what happened. Perhaps there was an employee taking a few short cuts or acting out his/her rage against the world. The owner might not be aware that there is a problem. I would want to know. I don't know what they can do for you at this point, but if the response is not to your satisfaction, just don't go back.

The image of the grill scrapings going into someone's sub is one that I won't soon forget.

-- Sky
sky_nh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 08:14 PM   #3
Irish mist

Default Ha

You made me laugh out loud there with that sarcasm.....good job Nope, I'm not in the business, and I don't have an axe to grind with these folks. It's always been hit or miss when I have gone in there. Decent food, nothing great. I have no emotional arrachment to the place so it was difficult to get really mad becaue to be honest I was just gobsmacked that someone would do such a thing.

From my experience there I think it was the owners who were working the grill, so I suspect a complaint would not go very far. Since I don't go there often I just wrote the place off. If I was a regular I might have pushed this.
________
WEED

Old 01-07-2009, 08:36 PM   #4
Pineedles

This exchange promises to be a very lively one. I have never been there, but I am betting on an over 50 post thread. I am not laughing at anyone, but this thread doesn't fit the normal flame/1st post/revenge/hidden agenda/etc.
Pineedles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 09:06 PM   #5
Irish mist

Default indeed

Indeed no......my posting history shows that I don't attack local business. Most of my comments on food threads have been positive in the last several years. And I waited weeks to post this cause I did not want to make a big deal out of it.....but it was just such a weird experience that I needed to get it off of my mind.
________
Rhode island dispensary

The Following User Says Thank You to Irish mist For This Useful Post:
Resident 2B (01-07-2009)
Sponsored Links
Old 01-08-2009, 07:50 AM   #6
chipj29

Did your friend return the sub to the shop? I know it can be a hassle going back to a place, but if you had called and spoke with someone, they may not have believed you without seeing the proof as it were.
Old 01-08-2009, 12:58 PM   #7
Irish mist

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipj29 View Post
Did your friend return the sub to the shop? I know it can be a hassle going back to a place, but if you had called and spoke with someone, they may not have believed you without seeing the proof as it were.
She did not return it. We were many miles away, and she would have felt awkward. I think what freaked us out was the fact that this was no accident, lol, you just don't dump the "remains of the day" into a sub without intending to do so. It was a battle I really did not want to put any effort into. And like I mentioned....it's still a running joke with us. I figure if they are willing to do something like this I'm best rid of the place as a food option.
________
Free Magento Themes