Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Restaurant Information & Reviews
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 03-11-2008, 03:37 PM   #1
nj2nh

Default Wolfeboro Inn - Wolfe's Tavern

I heard a rumor last fall perhaps that the Inn and/or Tavern were being renovated. Anyone who lives in the area know how it is all going?

I know the Tavern hasn't gotten the best reviews in the forum, but my family enjoys it. They were always kid friendly which is a big plus in my book. My boys are teenagers now and we haven't been in the last couple of years except for one Sunday brunch last August in the restaurant.

Anyone know the scoop?

nj2nh
Old 03-12-2008, 10:36 AM   #2
camp guy

Default Wolfeboro Inn - Wolfe Tavern

You are right about the poor reviews, but most of them were well deserved.

As far as renovations are concerned, this seems to be a flexible topic. At one point they were going to close in early January for renovations to kitchen, dining, function, and lodging areas, but, for whatever reason, that time period didn't happen. Then the plan was to close in February, then March, then the whole plan was changed to close in the early fall and do more extensive work.

What I am trying to convey to you is that several plans have come and gone, but the latest is closing in the fall for renovations.

This course of indecision prompted some employees to leave in favor of a more solid employment situation.

During all of this the Inn continues to remain open and continues to earn low marks and poor reviews.

I hope they (meaning the new owners) realize that all the renovations in the world won't make up for poor service, and, in this particular case, it seems as if the new owners aren't helping the situation by their actions.

Time will tell.
camp guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 02:30 PM   #3
secondcurve

Camp Guy:

I don't disagree with your overall assessment. However, there are certainly some good employees....many of the bartenders for instance. Also, the Sunday Brunch is excellent. The comment about some employees leaving for more stable employment is interesting and I can see why that has happened. However, I don't think it was the new owner's fault about the changing renovation schedule. Rather, from what I have heard, it appears that they were not able to get the necessary permits in time to do the renovations when they wanted.
secondcurve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 06:39 PM   #4
finch

We just went there for the first time a few weeks ago for a late lunch. The atmosphere was nice and cozy with the fireplace and the waitress was pleasant and plenty attentive. It is not gourmet, but certainly was yummy, affordable, very filling and we loved the diverse salad bar. I can't wait to go back and earn my stein.
finch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 04:18 PM   #5
fmgate

What is the latest regarding the previously-mentioned rumors about fall 2008 renovations to the Wolfeboro Inn and Wolfe's Tavern?
fmgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-19-2008, 08:49 AM   #6
WolfeCrick

I live a half block away and know the chef Steve. The Inn is getting a new roof this week (hammers at 830am). There are a lot of different rumors swirling through W'boro and it's hard to know what is true. Example: the State is forcing them to do a major kitchen renovation this winter.
WolfeCrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 04:10 PM   #7
Grady223

I heard from someone who works there that they will be closing January, February and March for major renovations.
Grady223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 05:52 AM   #8
ApS

I learned yesterday that the entire Inn, restaurant and all, is closed for additions, rebuilding and renovations. Big trucks are swarming all over the place. As big as the Wolfeboro Inn is, it will get even bigger!

Quote:
Originally Posted by finch View Post
"...The atmosphere was nice and cozy with the fireplace and the waitress was pleasant and plenty attentive. It is not gourmet, but certainly was yummy, affordable, very filling and we loved the diverse salad bar..."
That pretty much sums up my assessment as well—you could make more than one meal from the salad bar selections alone.
Old 01-10-2009, 10:23 PM   #9
camp guy

Default Wolfeboro Inn renovations

The Inn will be closed Jan-Feb-Mar-and probably Apr for major kitchen work, hopefully re-opening in May. There is no question about the fact that the Inn needs a major cleaning, disgusting is too kind to describe some areas when it comes to cleanliness; however, the physical plant is not the problem at the Inn, the problem is with the mental attitude of management. To date, the new management/owners seem to have missed the point that high end prices won't fly in Wolfeboro, that poor service never is acceptable, and renovations to the building won't help unless renovations to the "mind" also take place. I hope the new owners have the cash to finish what they have started because if they don't the Inn will be a blight on the economy of Wolfeboro. To be successful in Wolfeboro the Inn will have to realize who pays the bills (on a year round basis), serve excellent food at a reasonable price, and provide excellent service at all costs. New furnishings, as nice as they might be, aren't the answer to the Inn's revival - a new attitude from the top down is the answer.
camp guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 06:10 PM   #10
MaidenCove07

Default AGREE Camp Guy~!

I agree with yo Camp Guy - the management that took over last winter seems to have NO idea what they are doing and has taken what was a nice place to dine, eat and have a function and turned it into a place to avoid.
But then again, that always happens when local ownership is replaced by big, out of area corporations....
MaidenCove07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 09:15 PM   #11
secondcurve

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaidenCove07 View Post
I agree with yo Camp Guy - the management that took over last winter seems to have NO idea what they are doing and has taken what was a nice place to dine, eat and have a function and turned it into a place to avoid.
But then again, that always happens when local ownership is replaced by big, out of area corporations....
Maiden Cove:

I'm keeping an open mind on this one. I have a feeling that the final product will be spectacular and that there will be a place for the local crowd. Think positively!!!!!
secondcurve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 08:24 AM   #12
NHDOLFAN

Camp Guy is right on with his assesment. I live in Wolfeboro and used to go to the Tavern for a burger and a beer, at a reasonable price. The new menu leaves something to be desired, including the prices. Hopefully, the new owners realize that the community, at least this community member, is looking for a place to have some good food, good atmosphere at a reasonable price. So far, there is no restaurant in Wolfeboro that offers that!
NHDOLFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 05:32 AM   #13
Patiently Watching

As another Wolfeboro resident, I have to agree that the Inn has really gone down hill over the past number of years, but I think the decline started the day that Tom Kenney and the Conti's sold the place to Gary & Hillary. The place has been in steady decline ever since.
Wolfeboro is down 5 restaurants currently. 1 for rehab, 1 for the winter, 1 teetering on bankruptcy and 2 that are unaccounted for. Not too many choices now for a vacation destination.
Patiently Watching is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 02:31 PM   #14
donnamatrix

Default Mis en Place and El Centenario

Gee, I hope neither of these restaurants are part of the listing for "teetering" or unaccounted for... they are both awesome.
donnamatrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 05:28 AM   #15
nvmbr9

Default Keep open minds

If they didn't care or weren't trying would they be renovating? What about the jobs created by the renovation? Don't be such grumps and so xenophobic. New Englanders crack me up. No change. Ever. Well, time marches on. I had a meal there last winter and it was fine, and the people were nice.

In Wolfeboro there are really only two cozy places in winter, at leat that ive found. No one is being updated...probably at great expense. And nothing but complaints?

Grumpy old men I bet. Hope I dont become one but probably will.
nvmbr9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 07:41 AM   #16
tis

Thanked 1,381 Times in 957 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnamatrix View Post
Gee, I hope neither of these restaurants are part of the listing for "teetering" or unaccounted for... they are both awesome.
I heard a rumor and ONLY a rumor that Mis en Plese is either looking for a partner, looking to move, or closing. It would be too bad if it did close, everyone loves it!
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 03:34 PM   #17
Treerider

Drove by the Inn today, big construction trailer in the lot, lots of work going on.....
Treerider is offline   Reply With Quote