Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Restaurant Information & Reviews
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 02-23-2007, 10:12 AM   #1
Knomad

Default Barn Door

Has anyone tried the Barn Door (formally Bittersweet) on Rte 28 in Wolfeboro?
Knomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 07:33 PM   #2
secondcurve

I hadn't realized this location had reopened. I'll give it a try and the next time I'm up. Does anyone know who owns this restaurant? It hasn't been able to thrive for quite sometime. Hopefully, the new owners are successful!
secondcurve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 09:38 AM   #3
mcdude

Thanked 1,044 Times in 490 Posts

This review from another forum I subscribe to;
Quote:
Just got to go yesterday... expensive, but awesome! We got seated right away (I guess Thursday night is a good time to try it), right next to the fireplace. The spinach and artichoke dip is SOOOOOOO good! They didn't have much in the way of vegetarian stuff, and I ended up getting fettucine alfredo - I could only finish about a third of it, so I brought a couple more dinners worth home with me. And the dessert.... I had triple chocolate fudge cake... mmmmmmmmmm! Again, I have enough leftover for a couple more meals. Excellent, friendly service, huge portions, great food - we'll definitely be back! It is pricey, but if you don't have a huge appetite, you'll be able to get a least two meals out of it. Highly recommended!
mcdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 06:46 AM   #4
secondcurve

Thanks McDude. I'll post my review in the next several weeks.
secondcurve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 11:03 AM   #5
Seeker

Default Barn Door question again

Since the original was posted almost a year ago I just wondered if anyone has been to the Barn Door this Winter and what were your opinions.
Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-05-2008, 02:46 PM   #6
Knomad

We still have not tried it. I've not heard of anyone else other than the one post who has tried it either.
Knomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 03:50 PM   #7
robertwcook16

We tried it last summer & I was not very impressed. The food was just OK, The atmosphere was lovely except for the fact that the lights were way too bright. It could be a nice romantic, classy room, but with the lights up all the way, it is much more generic & cold.
robertwcook16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 09:05 PM   #8
Highlander

Thumbs up Barn Door

We really like the Barn Door. We were only there once at the end of the summer when the upstairs dining room was open. During the winter they only use the downstairs lounge. It is very quaint and comfortable, the food and service have been excellent every time we have been there.
Highlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 08:51 PM   #9
Seeker

Thumbs up Barn Door

OK, since I couldn't convince anyone else to go there I went over with my wife tonight. It's bad because it's a half hour drive from my place on Province Lake and we're going to have to go back again quite often.
We ate in the lounge downstairs as that is usually the only place open in the winter unless you call ahead.
I would give it the highest rating of any place I have eaten in the lakes region so far. It's not fancy and there isn't a great selection but they had what I wanted -prime rib-done perfect-med rare. My wife had the veal piccata which she said was excellent. Salads were small but very tasty and fresh.
Being a clam chowder expert I had to sample a bowl and I have to say I have never, in my 64 years, have had any that was better; maybe just as good, but a different taste to this chowder. Just stay away from the desserts-they are too good. My wife had the bourbon bread pudding and couldn't finish it so I was forced into action.
Prices are average but service is superb and most diners seemed to be locals. We went away very happy and thats what matters!
Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 09:28 PM   #10
jazzkitty

Red face Barn Door

My husband and I like it a lot. We've been there three times, all this past month -- every time we ate in the cozy downstairs lounge, as it was the only room open. Between 5:00 and 6:00 they have four early bird dinners for $9.95, so that's when we went.

The first time, I had their famous steak tips because they had been recommended by a friend, and I didn't care for them -- too highly flavored for my taste. Also didn't like their signature "rustic mashed" potatoes either. My husband had the baked stuffed haddock, which he loved, and he really liked those potatoes that I didn't like.

The next time, my husband had the haddock again because he liked it so much, and I had the chicken and broccoli Alfredo, which I thought was great.

The last time, my husband had a Caesar salad topped with grilled salmon and I had chicken parmesan -- both very good. His salad wasn't an early bird, but at $12.99 we thought it a good value nonetheless -- the filet was huge and flavorful.

The service is friendly, the portions are large, and the food is good and reasonably priced, if you get an early bird or a salad with meat or fish on top. My only complaint is that the side salad comes on a tiny plate which allows no room for cutting it up, which you have to do because the chunks of veggies are too large to manage. The last time we ate there I remembered to ask for a larger dish, they brought it, and no more problem.

All in all, we both would recommend it. But don't go by us -- we still like the Tamarack Drive-In !!
jazzkitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 12:46 PM   #11
Just Wonderin

Default I thought it closed

I thought I drove by a week or two ago and saw a for sale sign...I must have been mistaken...so, please confirm that the restaurant is open...does anyone know it's hours of operation?
Just Wonderin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 01:14 PM   #12
Highlander

They are absolutely open and as good as ever.
Not sure about the hours.
Highlander is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Highlander For This Useful Post:
Waterbaby (09-02-2008)
Old 09-02-2008, 05:26 PM   #13
Lakepilot

Not sure about the hours, but we were there a month ago as a party of 4. We ate up stairs and all had the steak tips. They were universally enjoyed. The service also was good. The 4 sale sign has been there for quite some time, but it apparently hasn't sold. The good news is it hasn't affected the food or the service.
Lakepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lakepilot For This Useful Post:
Waterbaby (09-02-2008)
Old 09-28-2008, 10:34 AM   #14
Senter Cove Guy

Default Barn Door To Close Soon?

I heard that the Barn Door will soon close and only be open seasonally. I will miss the atmosphere and nice meals we had there last winter. Probably just another casualty of the cost of heating fuel.
Old 09-30-2008, 05:08 PM   #15
trnii

Default Barn Door

The Barn Door is open weekends now. There actually is a sign out front letting you know. On one note, I had a friend of mine book a party there and they put down a deposit. After all the invites were sent out, (a couple of weeks after they put down the deposit) Barn door contacted them to tell them they were closing for the winter. My friend was forced to find another site quickly and send out an update to all who were invited. They just got told now by Barn Door that they changed their minds and were going to stay open weekends. Just my thought, but, I thought Barn door could have handled this much better than they did!!
trnii is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to trnii For This Useful Post:
Senter Cove Guy (09-30-2008)
Old 10-01-2008, 06:38 AM   #16
tis

Thanked 1,381 Times in 957 Posts

We went there a couple of weeks ago on a Sunday night and they were closed. We were surprised. Personally, I wouldn't dare to book a party there.
tis is offline   Reply With Quote