Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery YouTube Channel Classifieds Links Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-07-2019, 06:53 PM   #1
garysanfran
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: San Francisco/Meredith
Posts: 612
Thanks: 166
Thanked 227 Times in 99 Posts
Default They turn up the heat to keep snow off the roof???

What? Couldn't hire someone with shovels? Yup...Your tax dollars being spent by others.

Meredith proposes new public works building...

Don't most of those people work outdoors?

https://www.laconiadailysun.com/news...1d4140a08.html
__________________
Gary
~~~~_/) ~~~
~~~~~~~~
garysanfran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 06:56 PM   #2
tis
Senior Member
 
tis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 4,348
Thanks: 412
Thanked 719 Times in 499 Posts
Default

My laugh of the day, you were truly funny gary!!
tis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 07:32 PM   #3
fatlazyless
Senior Member
 
fatlazyless's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 5,927
Thanks: 187
Thanked 440 Times in 324 Posts
Default

Oh come on..... you guys have probably never-ever even been inside the DPW building. Do you know what is the difference between a building and a shed? Well, a shed is basically a storage building that's not designed for people, and the DPW building is a lot more like an old shed, than like a building.


The Meredith DPW does an outstanding job despite having basically a shed for their home, and they deserve to get a real building complete with windows, heat, quality design and usable people space inside. Things like locker rooms, rest rooms, a kitchen, offices, heat, lighting, utilities, design and use all add up to make it a quality DPW ..... which it already is ..... but they really deserve a new home building.

Like, who plows the roads and does everything else? A new Meredith DPW home building will be town money, well spent.
__________________
Down & out, livn that Walmart side of the lake!

Last edited by fatlazyless; 02-10-2019 at 06:05 AM.
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to fatlazyless For This Useful Post:
bayviewguy (02-13-2019), Loub52 (02-11-2019), pondguy (02-08-2019)
Old 02-08-2019, 10:54 AM   #4
garysanfran
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: San Francisco/Meredith
Posts: 612
Thanks: 166
Thanked 227 Times in 99 Posts
Default May be true...But....

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post
Oh come ..... you guys have probably never-ever even been inside the DPW building. Do you know what is the difference between a building and a shed? Well, a shed is basically a storage building that's not designed for people, and the DPW building is a lot more like an old shed, than like a building.


The Meredith DPW does an outstanding job despite having basically a shed for their home, and they deserve to get a real building complete with windows, heat, quality design and usable people space inside. Things like locker rooms, rest rooms, a kitchen, offices, heat, lighting, utilities, design and use all add up to make it a quality DPW ..... which it already is ..... but they really deserve a new home building.

Like, who plows the roads and does everything else? A new Meredith DPW home building will be town money, well spent.
Removing snow off a dilapidated shack by turning up the heat...Is still kinda dumb!
__________________
Gary
~~~~_/) ~~~
~~~~~~~~
garysanfran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 11:06 AM   #5
Biggd
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Waltham Ma./Meredith NH
Posts: 1,390
Thanks: 306
Thanked 206 Times in 149 Posts
Default

I have a 40 x 60 shop with a 4/12 pitch roof. I do the same thing but I have a waste oil heated so I don't pay for oil. It would cost me a fortune to have my roof shoveled.
So in some instances it makes perfect sense.
Biggd is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-08-2019, 11:09 AM   #6
garysanfran
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: San Francisco/Meredith
Posts: 612
Thanks: 166
Thanked 227 Times in 99 Posts
Default They need a kitchen???

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post
Oh come ..... you guys have probably never-ever even been inside the DPW building. Do you know what is the difference between a building and a shed? Well, a shed is basically a storage building that's not designed for people, and the DPW building is a lot more like an old shed, than like a building.


The Meredith DPW does an outstanding job despite having basically a shed for their home, and they deserve to get a real building complete with windows, heat, quality design and usable people space inside. Things like locker rooms, rest rooms, a kitchen, offices, heat, lighting, utilities, design and use all add up to make it a quality DPW ..... which it already is ..... but they really deserve a new home building.

Like, who plows the roads and does everything else? A new Meredith DPW home building will be town money, well spent.
How many businesses offer their employees a kitchen?

Maybe Taylor's Family Restaurant would still be around if the Meredith DPW employees supported local eateries.

Silicon Valley has started outlawing employers from giving employees free gourmet lunches with the intent of supporting the local economy.

I don't think it's the Govt.'s responsibility to set eating requirements for employers/employees one-way-or-the-other.

However...Does this not escalate their "high" utility bill further at my expense? I pay my high taxes which I now know includes the cost of the DPW cooking lunch. I pay for my own utilities when I cook my meals.

I know, it doesn't amount to much, but a lot of "not amounting to much" amounts to a lot!

How many times has Meredith used that new expensive fire engine capable of reaching the top stories of high-rise buildings?
__________________
Gary
~~~~_/) ~~~
~~~~~~~~
garysanfran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 11:09 AM   #7
jbolty
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 300
Thanks: 57
Thanked 102 Times in 46 Posts
Default

Don't think I've ever seen this rope method, but I like it.



https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2RZVTMqZP_o
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 11:22 AM   #8
garysanfran
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: San Francisco/Meredith
Posts: 612
Thanks: 166
Thanked 227 Times in 99 Posts
Default Wait a minute...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggd View Post
I have a 40 x 60 shop with a 4/12 pitch roof. I do the same thing but I have a waste oil heated so I don't pay for oil. It would cost me a fortune to have my roof shoveled.
So in some instances it makes perfect sense.
It just occurred to me...These are DPW employees!!!

They can't shovel their own roof?

WHAT?
__________________
Gary
~~~~_/) ~~~
~~~~~~~~
garysanfran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 11:39 AM   #9
fatlazyless
Senior Member
 
fatlazyless's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 5,927
Thanks: 187
Thanked 440 Times in 324 Posts
Default

Sure ….. a basic home style kitchen with a kitchen sink, refrigerator, oven/range, dishwasher, microwave, water cooler, k-cup coffee, kitchen counters and cabinets, and a kitchen table intended for do-it-yourself type food prep as opposed to serving meals.

For $2.50 at Walmart, you can get those www.mariecallendersmeals.com/frozen-pot-pies 5" frozen pot pies in turkey, chicken, beef, or cheesy chicken w/bacon, which go in the microwave for about nine minutes …… and come out with a totally perfect flakey crust plus carrots and peas, pie filling …… is very hot …. and really hits the spot in the cold winter ….. after driving a plow for long hours or working out in the cold …… like why not!

The turkey is the best!

People work better when they are fed well.

You know if you eat at a restaurant, you get hit with the 9% prepared food tax and paying the tip, plus it takes a lot more time as well.
__________________
Down & out, livn that Walmart side of the lake!
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 12:02 PM   #10
Biggd
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Waltham Ma./Meredith NH
Posts: 1,390
Thanks: 306
Thanked 206 Times in 149 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by garysanfran View Post
It just occurred to me...These are DPW employees!!!

They can't shovel their own roof?

WHAT?
They probably have a waste oil heater. If they don't they should have one. If it's a DPW garage they probably service their own vehicles and get plenty of free oil.
Biggd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 12:05 PM   #11
TheVoiceOfReason
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 10
Thanks: 6
Thanked 22 Times in 8 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by garysanfran View Post
How many businesses offer their employees a kitchen?

Maybe Taylor's Family Restaurant would still be around if the Meredith DPW employees supported local eateries.

Silicon Valley has started outlawing employers from giving employees free gourmet lunches with the intent of supporting the local economy.

I don't think it's the Govt.'s responsibility to set eating requirements for employers/employees one-way-or-the-other.

However...Does this not escalate their "high" utility bill further at my expense? I pay my high taxes which I now know includes the cost of the DPW cooking lunch. I pay for my own utilities when I cook my meals.

I know, it doesn't amount to much, but a lot of "not amounting to much" amounts to a lot!

How many times has Meredith used that new expensive fire engine capable of reaching the top stories of high-rise buildings?
I don't even know where to begin here. Almost all workplaces have a small kitchen area (fridge for storing lunches, microwave for heating food, sink for rinsing dishes). It would be entirely reasonable for the Meredith DPW to have the same, especially considering they work long shifts during snowstorms plowing our town roads.

You insinuate that Taylor's Family Restaurant would still be open if the Meredith DPW crews purchased their lunch instead of bringing it in a paper bag. First off, it's not the DPW crew's responsibility to keep a business afloat and secondly, they aren't compensated well enough to spend $10/day on lunch when they can brown bag it for $10/week.

The Meredith DPW is a hard-working, underappreciated crew who deserves to be supported by the town and its residents, not bashed on an online forum for (gasp) requesting an actual building with an actual office and an actual kitchen to prepare lunch in. Heaven forbid your taxes go up $0.01/year so that the guy who plows your road at 3am can heat up his Hot Pocket using a microwave that is supplied by town power.
TheVoiceOfReason is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TheVoiceOfReason For This Useful Post:
Biggd (02-08-2019), Loub52 (02-11-2019), thinkxingu (02-08-2019)
Old 02-08-2019, 12:10 PM   #12
Biggd
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Waltham Ma./Meredith NH
Posts: 1,390
Thanks: 306
Thanked 206 Times in 149 Posts
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVoiceOfReason View Post
I don't even know where to begin here. Almost all workplaces have a small kitchen area (fridge for storing lunches, microwave for heating food, sink for rinsing dishes). It would be entirely reasonable for the Meredith DPW to have the same, especially considering they work long shifts during snowstorms plowing our town roads.

You insinuate that Taylor's Family Restaurant would still be open if the Meredith DPW crews purchased their lunch instead of bringing it in a paper bag. First off, it's not the DPW crew's responsibility to keep a business afloat and secondly, they aren't compensated well enough to spend $10/day on lunch when they can brown bag it for $10/week.

The Meredith DPW is a hard-working, underappreciated crew who deserves to be supported by the town and its residents, not bashed on an online forum for (gasp) requesting an actual building with an actual office and an actual kitchen to prepare lunch in. Heaven forbid your taxes go up $0.01/year so that the guy who plows your road at 3am can heat up his Hot Pocket using a microwave that is supplied by town power.
I, for one, think they do a terrific job!
Biggd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 01:15 PM   #13
thinkxingu
Senior Member
 
thinkxingu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 1,898
Thanks: 539
Thanked 512 Times in 298 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVoiceOfReason View Post
I don't even know where to begin here. Almost all workplaces have a small kitchen area (fridge for storing lunches, microwave for heating food, sink for rinsing dishes). It would be entirely reasonable for the Meredith DPW to have the same, especially considering they work long shifts during snowstorms plowing our town roads.



You insinuate that Taylor's Family Restaurant would still be open if the Meredith DPW crews purchased their lunch instead of bringing it in a paper bag. First off, it's not the DPW crew's responsibility to keep a business afloat and secondly, they aren't compensated well enough to spend $10/day on lunch when they can brown bag it for $10/week.



The Meredith DPW is a hard-working, underappreciated crew who deserves to be supported by the town and its residents, not bashed on an online forum for (gasp) requesting an actual building with an actual office and an actual kitchen to prepare lunch in. Heaven forbid your taxes go up $0.01/year so that the guy who plows your road at 3am can heat up his Hot Pocket using a microwave that is supplied by town power.
Agreed.

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk
thinkxingu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 01:52 PM   #14
garysanfran
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: San Francisco/Meredith
Posts: 612
Thanks: 166
Thanked 227 Times in 99 Posts
Default Well...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVoiceOfReason View Post
I don't even know where to begin here. Almost all workplaces have a small kitchen area (fridge for storing lunches, microwave for heating food, sink for rinsing dishes). It would be entirely reasonable for the Meredith DPW to have the same, especially considering they work long shifts during snowstorms plowing our town roads.

You insinuate that Taylor's Family Restaurant would still be open if the Meredith DPW crews purchased their lunch instead of bringing it in a paper bag. First off, it's not the DPW crew's responsibility to keep a business afloat and secondly, they aren't compensated well enough to spend $10/day on lunch when they can brown bag it for $10/week.

The Meredith DPW is a hard-working, underappreciated crew who deserves to be supported by the town and its residents, not bashed on an online forum for (gasp) requesting an actual building with an actual office and an actual kitchen to prepare lunch in. Heaven forbid your taxes go up $0.01/year so that the guy who plows your road at 3am can heat up his Hot Pocket using a microwave that is supplied by town power.
I do appreciate the work they do...However, They don't plow my road. I have no town water. No town sewer. No paved road. And I pay the same tax rate as everyone else.
__________________
Gary
~~~~_/) ~~~
~~~~~~~~
garysanfran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 02:08 PM   #15
TheVoiceOfReason
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 10
Thanks: 6
Thanked 22 Times in 8 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by garysanfran View Post
I do appreciate the work they do...However, They don't plow my road. I have no town water. No town sewer. No paved road. And I pay the same tax rate as everyone else.
If you have no town water and no town sewer then you have no town water or sewer bills to pay. Even if they don't plow your road they plow the roads to get to your road. I don't have a child in the school system but I don't complain about having to pay taxes to maintain the schools. You pay the same tax rate as everyone else because as a community we share the burden. That's what being part of a community is. And in my community I'd prefer to not have my DPW workers operate out of a substandard facility.
TheVoiceOfReason is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheVoiceOfReason For This Useful Post:
thinkxingu (02-08-2019)
Old 02-08-2019, 02:53 PM   #16
thinkxingu
Senior Member
 
thinkxingu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 1,898
Thanks: 539
Thanked 512 Times in 298 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVoiceOfReason View Post
If you have no town water and no town sewer then you have no town water or sewer bills to pay. Even if they don't plow your road they plow the roads to get to your road. I don't have a child in the school system but I don't complain about having to pay taxes to maintain the schools. You pay the same tax rate as everyone else because as a community we share the burden. That's what being part of a community is. And in my community I'd prefer to not have my DPW workers operate out of a substandard facility.
Will you please, please, please stop using common sense?

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk
thinkxingu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 03:16 PM   #17
MAXUM
Senior Member
 
MAXUM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Hooksett, NH & Bear Island, NH
Posts: 1,911
Thanks: 176
Thanked 1,236 Times in 470 Posts
Default

I got no problem with stuff like to so long as it is done within reason.

As stated in that article 5.6 million is targeted for "hard" expenses IE the demo, site work and new construction. 1.6 million is targeted for "soft costs" listed as "engineering and architecture" work. Now wait a minute here, approximately 1/3 of the cost is devoted to engineering and architecture and even worse that work is being done by an outfit in MA.

I don't understand why the DPW can't go buy some pre-engineered steel buildings and use those, they can be finished off inside, insulated etc.. as needed to provide office space and whatever else is needed - even a kitchen. These are regularly used by various companies, farms and even churches. I got to believe this could be done for a FRACTION of the price stated.

In fact the town could hire FLL as a 1099 consultant (paid a minimum wage of course) to keep the costs down.
MAXUM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 02:30 PM   #18
Descant
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Merrimack and Welch Island
Posts: 1,350
Thanks: 405
Thanked 376 Times in 234 Posts
Default Voter's choice

In most towns if a proposal is too extravagant, the voters turn it down. Meredith voters are probably having these same conversations. I think it is rare for a DPW to propose a palace, compared to those who run some other functions of government. Sometimes it's just timing. NH built a new courthouse in town in 2009. They expected three bidders and a cost of $7MM. There were 13 bidders and a final cost of about $4MM. Not gonna happen, as they say, "...and in this economy..." .
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:10 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.

This page was generated in 0.55404 seconds