Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Restaurant Information & Reviews
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-05-2009, 06:40 PM   #1
Kona Family

Default Doesn't Anybody Love Lemongrass Out There

I've been dining at Lemongrass both indining and take out for the past couple of years. I have always loved the food and service and find it a gem of a restaurant in the lakes region. Even without Mike Love, the dynamic husband and wife team make Lemongrass so special along with the other cooks, waitstaff and bartender.
Despite what I think, the restaurant is rarely full with lots of vacant tables. I so much want to see this restaurant thrive and continue to be the gem my family believes it is....but we don't understand why it's not thriving.
Please share your thoughts with me about what you've heard...what you like and works for Lemongrass...and what needs to be different if you were to frequent this restaurant.
Thanks for the thoughts
Kona Family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 08:05 PM   #2
jeffk

Default Not my cup of tea

We went to Lemongrass when Mike was still there. We enjoyed the decor and service. Unfortunately, the style of food was not our cup of tea. We liked some things but others left us cold. I'd probably have to work at it to build up a selection of things that I enjoyed. I probably wouldn't take company there because most of the people I know would have the same problem. If someone asked me for the name of a good Pan-Asian restaurant I would recommend them without hesitation. The food was all of very good quality and very nice presentations.
jeffk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 01:55 PM   #3
Lakegeezer

Default Good - but

I really have liked my dining at the Lemongrass, but two things keep me from going back. First, they don't (or didn't) offer lemongrass soup. HUH! The other thing is the price. It falls into the "special occasion" price range, even for lunch. There are so many high-price kind of places around, Lemongrass only gets my business once a year or so. I'd hate to see them go out of business - but if they are not doing well, they may have to make some changes to attract more people.
Old 01-06-2009, 02:40 PM   #4
T.H.E. Binz

Thumbs up Lemongrass Tops

Lemongrass is my top choice for dining (incl. Woodshed, Lagos, Canoe, etc.) especially after lowering their prices on this year's menu compared to last. Superior atmosphere, great bar as well, and always good, personal service.
T.H.E. Binz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 08:16 PM   #5
food dude

Smile my wifes first choice

Always her first choice, she just loves the sushi!!
food dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-06-2009, 08:36 PM   #6
wifi

I don't like shushi, but the Shanghai noodles are fantastic, and so is the bar
wifi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 10:11 PM   #7
loony

I have been to Lemon Grass a few times and although a bit pricey, was never disappointed. The menu is unique and varied. I enjoy unusual foods, while my wife is more traditional. Each time we were both pleased. For more unique pan-asian food & atmosphere I also enjoy going to East Of Suez (BYOB!) in Wolfboro. We make the trek at least once during the summer season.

I hope Lemon Grass survives as it stands apart from all the other restaurants in the area.

Kevin Cafe' up the road has great seafood, is also another gem.
loony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 10:46 AM   #8
donnamatrix

Default Lemon Grass

I love the food at LG, but the open-kitchen style design is not my favorite. I always go home with my clothes reeking of food/spices. That being said, I think the economy has kept LOTS of people from dining out... certainly for us the past year has been a challenge and I expect the next couple of years to be the same. So, spending $100 on dinner/drinks is something we think about and say "well, maybe not". I also would like Lemon Grass, Kevin's Cafe and other local places to make it through these tough times ... I think all the restaurants in the region are suffering, even Bucky's which is not expensive... they're parking lot is only busy on weekends as far as I can tell.
donnamatrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 11:06 AM   #9
colt17

Default Thumbs UP

My wife and I love Lemon Grass (we are big sushi eaters) and frequent 6-10 times a year. Food and drinks are very good, service is excellent and it’s nice to go to a restaurant around the lake that isn’t a steak and fried food joint every once and awhile.
colt17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 08:41 PM   #10
beancover

Lemon Grass is definitely our favorite and I've never failed to praise it when the topic comes up. My son goes to boarding school in the area and when we take him out for lunch or dinner, he always requests Lemon Grass. It is refreshing to have a place to eat that is so different than most of the other restaurants up there. The food is fresh and light and the service is outstanding. I usually find that it is very busy on weekends and slower on weeknights, as most places are.
beancover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 10:47 AM   #11
Lakegeezer

Default Winter update report

We tried Lemongrass for dinner this week, and it is as good as ever. (but still no lemongrass soup). Despite the discussion to the contrary, there were 18 cars in the parking lot, with 8 tables of customers and several people at the bar. Not bad for a Thursday nite (they are closed Tuesday and Wednesday in the Winter). The prices may have come down some, but it is still expensive.

Of 17 entrees on the menu, 8 are $20, 7 are $18 and 2 are $16. If you want a salad, its $4.50 to $5 more. Vegetables are $3 and up. There is a lunch menu priced from $8-15 (2 at $8, 3 at $9, 6 at $10, 1 at $12 and 1 at $15). Deserts are $6.

The food is truly amazing - but keeping the dinner expenses for 2 under $50 will be a challenge and you can go over $100 pretty easily with drinks, appetizers and desert.
Old 01-17-2009, 10:18 PM   #12
skisox24

Default Let's Set The Record Straight

Here is the bottom line. We eat seafood but no other forms of meat (beef, pork, veal, chicken). For outstandingly fresh seafood prepared in traditional
American ways, Kevin's Cafe is the place to go. Kevin's food puts Legal Seafoods to shame from a quality of food value per dollar standpoint.

As for Asian and Sushi delicacies, there is no contender north of Boston to Lemon Grass. In fact, we are so fortunate in the northern part of the lake to have Lemon Grass available to us as an alternative to the traditional lakes region fare. The owners of Lemon Grass, Oohi and Lucky, work very hard to maintain an impeccably clean and healthful restaurant with creative selections for even the hard to please. Their kitchen is open for all to view, and it is sparkling clean. The food is prepared with care...organic ingredients whenever available. And the service is responsive. The menu is incredibly varied and will please non-sushi diners. The restaurant has a very welcoming ambiance. They are busy on weekends so make a reservation. And in the summer, they are sold out. A definite tribute to the quality of their fare.
skisox24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 10:26 AM   #13
Bullwinkle

Default Does anybody like lemmon grass out there?

I had the pleasure of having dinner there on Sunday night. Everything was great! There was three of us and we shared everthing from sushi to calamare. I love their dipping sauces.I find the atmosphere to be very relaxing. It is one of my favorite places to hide.
Bullwinkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 06:23 AM   #14
LakeLoverr

Default BEST restaurant on the lake!!

Service and food are impeccable...Very intimate setting so its nice for a romantic date, but can also be laid back and a place to bring the whole family...the price isn't too bad, and for the price, the food is amazing!
LakeLoverr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 05:09 PM   #15
wildwind

Default I wouldn't go back!

We went to Lemon Grass and not only was it empty but it had a terriable smell. Our waiter hovered around us. Everytime one of us took a sip of water someone was there to refill the glass...it got real old after awhile. The food was terrible and waaay over priced. Good Luck if you want to waste your time and money.
Old 02-06-2009, 06:26 PM   #16
wifi

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwind View Post
We went to Lemon Grass and not only was it empty but it had a terriable smell. Our waiter hovered around us. Everytime one of us took a sip of water someone was there to refill the glass...it got real old after awhile. The food was terrible and waaay over priced. Good Luck if you want to waste your time and money.
I disagree with this, and also question your suggestive comments about Skelleys... But we all are entitled to our opinions
wifi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to wifi For This Useful Post:
Pineedles (02-06-2009)
Old 02-06-2009, 07:01 PM   #17
Newbiesaukee

We have been going to Lemongrass since it opened and it is one of our favorites. The food is fresh, creative and tasty. The service is attentive ( yes, they do refill water glasses), the surroundings clean and restful. It is not budget food and no one pleases every customer, but we love it.
Newbiesaukee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 02:26 PM   #18
RLW

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by wifi View Post
I disagree with this, and also question your suggestive comments about Skelleys... But we all are entitled to our opinions
May I ask, what does the highlighted part above have to do with this thread????
Old 02-08-2009, 08:12 PM   #19
steadyon

I actually have cravings for Lemon Grass!
the oyster ap. is to absolutely die for!
I must add, everything we have had has been great
C
steadyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 09:05 AM   #20
tomboymom

Default The best.

Right on. We crave LG as well and always find it to be fantastic. We've made a deliberate decision to spend our (limited) dining out dollars at Lemongrass, to try and support this local gem.

And we agree, the oyster app is out of this world...we like them spicy!
tomboymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 07:07 AM   #21
Lakewinn1

Thumbs down Lemongras

No fan here ..... Hope the service improves this season.
Lakewinn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 09:24 AM   #22
brk-lnt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewinn1 View Post
I think the service is excellent.

My wife and I ate their on Valentines day. The dining room was packed and our server (Steve, IIRC) was very attentive, without being a "table stalker".

The food of course was superb as well.

Lemongrass is one of our favorite restaurant indulgences in the area.
Old 02-25-2009, 01:52 PM   #23
tc_mike

I agree, in my opinion Lemongrass is the best non-traditional cuisine in the area. I have always had top-notch service.
tc_mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 09:56 PM   #24
Waterbaby

Default Would you care to elaborate?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewinn1 View Post
I'm wondering why you aren't a fan, if it's not the service then why? I'm considering going there soon, would like to hear good and bad with details. Thanks.
Old 02-25-2009, 10:11 PM   #25
Newbiesaukee

Default Although I haven't been there for a few months

my feeling over a few years and many visits is that Lemongrass has the most professional, knowledgeable servers in the area. Certainly the type of food may not suit everyone and every place has an off night but Lemon Grass is a gem. We're coming up for a week (although it is 75 degrees and dry HERE) and will stop in and try Lemongrass again.
Newbiesaukee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 08:20 AM   #26
luvmypups

Default Not for everyone...but I LOVE it !!

LemonGrass is definately not for everyone, a lot of people have never tried that type of food and arent willing to even give it try. I personally think the food there is excellent, to say the least. It can be a little pricey, but do keep in mind, the majority of their ingredients are organic and your also in a fine dining facility. I am a frequent diner there and if you are skeptical of the food they serve and not sure what to start off with, here a few suggestions that wont "scare" you haha. You could try, The vegetables and beef, the beef bento box ( quite the variety ), chicken pad thai, ****ake spring rolls and the vegetable fried rice is out of this world. I go to Lemongrass for lunch because you get a good portion of food for half the price of dinner. Also, I have to add this, the Lemongrass house salad...AMAZING!!! The miso dressing, is unlike any dressing I have ever tried and for under $7 dollars , you get a generous amount of food. So, if any of you are not too keen on trying the type of food they serve at Lemongrass, head in for lunch and try a few of my suggestions, It's well worth it!!

( P.S.) What an amazing staff they have there as well !!!
luvmypups is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 08:07 PM   #27
AKADQ

Lightbulb

[QUOTE=luvmypups;89681]LemonGrass is definately not for everyone, a lot of people have never tried that type of food and arent willing to even give it try. It can be a little pricey, but do keep in mind, the majority of their ingredients are organic and your also in a fine dining facility. I go to Lemongrass for lunch because you get a good portion of food for half the price of dinner. Also, I have to add this, the Lemongrass house salad...AMAZING!!! The miso dressing, is unlike any dressing I have ever tried and for under $7 dollars , you get a generous amount of food. So, if any of you are not too keen on trying the type of food they serve at Lemongrass, head in for lunch and try a few of my suggestions, It's well worth it!!

This place sounds great, however I am a little conflicted because you are quoted as saying the food can be a little pricey. You also have mentioned the great prices and generous portions, it's well worth it....
AKADQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 12:19 PM   #28
luvmypups

Smile ????

What I meant was, The dinner menu can be a little pricey but the lunch prices are very reasonable. If I didnt clarify that in my first post then I apologize, that is what I meant. Even if dinner there can get pricey, I still think the unique and different meals are worth it .If you havent tried Lemongrass , you should really give them a try, great food and great people.
luvmypups is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 03:04 PM   #29
VitaBene

Thanked 1,601 Times in 821 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmypups View Post
What I meant was, The dinner menu can be a little pricey but the lunch prices are very reasonable. If I didnt clarify that in my first post then I apologize, that is what I meant. Even if dinner there can get pricey, I still think the unique and different meals are worth it .If you havent tried Lemongrass , you should really give them a try, great food and great people.
Luv, I understood your post. We have not tried LG yet but it is on the list!
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 12:07 PM   #30
HC0209

Thumbs up

Oh VitaBene, I'm surprised you haven't been there yet! I agree with the other bloggers, its the best psuedo-Thai food you will find in the Lakes Region. In fact just talking about it has made me decide I'm going to go there right now for lunch!!!
HC0209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 04:09 PM   #31
steadyon

Hi all,
I have to rave about the food!
spectacular!
I think that I might have to make it a Friday night habit and Steve is the best waiter that I have ever had! we have been several times and always excellent
steadyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 06:55 PM   #32
phoenix

my wife and I went tonight for the first time for dinner and it was great. She had an asian haddock and I had the special friend rice which had lobster , shrimp and scallops and was fantastic. Will go again
Old 07-14-2009, 07:23 AM   #33
Lakepilot

My wife and I also went a few days ago. We both had the Haddock and loved it. Price was $9.95 off the lunch menu and portion was fine for lunch.
Lakepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 09:58 AM   #34
meteotrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by steadyon View Post
Steve is the best waiter that I have ever had! we have been several times and always excellent
I agree... He is a pro. You don't often see waiters as knowledgeable or passionate about the restaurant's dishes as he is, especially up here.
meteotrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 02:56 AM   #35
VitaBene

Thanked 1,601 Times in 821 Posts
Default Made it!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HC0209 View Post
Oh VitaBene, I'm surprised you haven't been there yet! I agree with the other bloggers, its the best psuedo-Thai food you will find in the Lakes Region. In fact just talking about it has made me decide I'm going to go there right now for lunch!!!
We finally dined at Lemongrass Sunday Night- it was fantastic! This place is truly another hidden gem.

There were 5 of us so we all were able to "sample" a bit. Everything was great, starting with the baby rolls. The service was equal to the meal. We shall return!
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 07:49 PM   #36
hawthorne

Yummo!! I LOVE Lemongrass!! I had never tried this kind of food, especially sushi, and OMG!!! It is great or what!! I too spend our limited dollars out for dinner going there!! The service is so attentive and willing to help in any way. They will let you go at your own pace and the food is....I'm drooling now!! I want some Phat Thai!!!! Now!!! I can almost smell it!!! I can't wait to go back! I have recommended this restaurant as much as I can!! Not everyone loves fish as much as I do, but I cannot wait to go back! This is a GREAT place!! I am soooo hungry now!!!!
hawthorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 06:26 PM   #37
Kasey

Default Loving Lemongrass

My husband and I love Lemongrass and many of our friends do as well. The food is always fresh and well prepared and the specials are wonderful and very creative. I have several favorites on the menu and am always torn about what to order when I am there.

I'm surprised that Lemongrass isn't busier - at least on the week-ends because the food, although pricey, really is supurb.
Kasey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 02:30 PM   #38
Pineedles

Default Great Place

My first time there and it was tremendous! Its funny though that the course I am going to rave about was their salad. Every course was wonderful, but I have never had a beet salad so good. If you love beets you'll love this salad.
Pineedles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 02:53 PM   #39
sa meredith

Default nice

"O" and now Lemongrass?! Living large at the Lake.

I love cold beets, and have only found them at Hart's Turkey Farm.
Thanks for the tip.

I know of this neat little Italian place in Meredith...
sa meredith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 03:42 PM   #40
LovelyToSeeYou

Default I have been to Lemon Grass several times

I enjoyed the food. I think that I am more frugal when it comes to restaurants but did enjoy the different choices. It has things that you cannot get just any where and some that I had never had before so it was always an interesting meal.
LovelyToSeeYou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 12:35 PM   #41
mg2107

Wife and I went to The Lemon Grass for the first time last nite
Was blown away by the food and service.
Didn't find it pricey as compared to other estabilishments of the same quality.
Awesome!
mg2107 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mg2107 For This Useful Post:
wifi (02-07-2010)
Old 02-08-2010, 09:47 AM   #42
tomboymom

Glad you liked it! Hubby and I went for our anniversary this weekend...we have cut way back on dining out but when we can go, we always choose Lemongrass! It was wonderful and we were very happy to see it quite busy on a Friday night.
tomboymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 11:33 AM   #43
mg2107

Yeah it was our anniversary as well.
mg2107 is offline   Reply With Quote