Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-28-2009, 04:12 PM   #1
onlywinni

Default Tax Credit for Marine Fuel ???

Can someone please explain to me how it works...obtaining a tax credit for fuel used on the lake?

I always keep my receipts but never go for the credit on my taxes.

I appreciate any direction.
onlywinni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 04:38 PM   #2
chmeeee

The form is here:

http://www.bizer.com/gasref.pdf

This year we didn't use too much and didn't keep track, so won't be going for the rebate. In years past we usually filled up at the same marina every year (Lakeport), and they actually tracked it for us and filled out the form.

Good luck.
chmeeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 04:47 PM   #3
travaler18

Default per gal

it was 18cents a gallon last year
travaler18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 04:53 PM   #4
tis

Thanked 1,375 Times in 951 Posts

It is still 18Cents. Just make sure you put in your full address etc. We always used to do it as one of our boats is big and we use a lot in that but it got to be just one more thing to do. I think they are hoping that most people won't bother, and I would love to know if most do or don't. I bet most don't.
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 07:12 AM   #5
onlywinni

Thanks everyone...I appreciate the assistance/information.
onlywinni is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-29-2009, 10:23 AM   #6
Phantom

TIS -- I recently ran a poll on the forum for "Boating Hours" -- if you search in boating it is still up.

As 67% of the respondants stated that they boat less than 50 hours I would guess that you are correct -- many people "don't bother" with filing for the road tax refund.

The 67% did surprise me .... I thought there would be a lot more folks + 50 hours..... btw 165 people voted in the poll
Old 09-29-2009, 11:41 AM   #7
tis

I did see your poll, Phantom, but I didn't vote because we have several boats and I have no idea how many hours we used this summer. But that is a good way to look at it, if that many people used less than 50 hours, that probably implies that they did not bother to report their off road fuel used.
Old 09-29-2009, 09:47 PM   #8
Rattlesnake Guy

I think the state imposes a minimum dollar amount to file for the refund.
Rattlesnake Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 04:28 PM   #9
Wolfeboro_Baja

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlywinni View Post
Can someone please explain to me how it works...obtaining a tax credit for fuel used on the lake?

I always keep my receipts but never go for the credit on my taxes.

I appreciate any direction.
I don't know if you can take a credit on your tax return; we'll have to hope there's a CPA reading this forum that can answer that question. But as chmeeee indicated, you can get a refund of the gasoline tax paid for fuel purchased for use in an off-highway vehicle (4-wheeler, snowmobile or boat).

Seeing this thread reminded me that I needed to file for my refund so I went looking to update the copy of the refund form I had (before I saw chmeeee's post) and found some changes had been made to the whole process since I last filed for a refund (that was back in 2005!).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattlesnake Guy View Post
I think the state imposes a minimum dollar amount to file for the refund.
That is correct; the minimum dollar amount the state will write a check for is $10.00 which equals a minimum fuel purchase of 56 gals for all off-highway vehicles you own.

Some of you may be aware of this but I just found out today. Apparently, back in 2006, the state changed the way we apply for the gas tax refund. It used to be that when you purchased gas in a given calendar quarter (Jan-Feb-Mar, Apr-May-Jun, etc.), you had to request the refund in the quarter immediately following. So if you bought fuel in the 2nd quarter, you had to file your refund request in the 3rd quarter and so on and so on.

It now appears that for off-highway vehicles, a refund request is filed one time (by April 15 each year) for all gas purchased in the previous calendar year. I couldn't find the details in the RSA's or in Saf-C 300 (where I was led to believe I would find them), but it does seem to indicate this on the refund form itself. I also found this informational letter from the Dept. of Safety, Bureau of Road Tolls Operations, briefly explaining the change.

Now, regarding the link to Bizer's website for the gas tax refund form chmeeee posted, that is the correct form number but it appears to be an older version, judging by the revision date appearing at the bottom of the form next to the form number. I discovered that after I found the same form on the state's website and compared the form number and revision date to make sure they were the same form. I don't know if the state will accept the older form at the Bizer link, but to be safe, here's a link to the current form at the state's website.

Sorry for the long post but I hope somebody finds this information useful!!
Old 09-30-2009, 04:38 PM   #10
Wolfeboro_Baja

Quote:
Originally Posted by tis View Post
I think they are hoping that most people won't bother, and I would love to know if most do or don't. I bet most don't.
Tis, to answer your question, I usually file for the refund, when I remember!!

At .18 cents/gal, if I were to file right now, I'd be getting a refund of approx. $29, enough to fill the tank in my car. That represents total purchases of about 162 gals so far. I expect I'll be buying a little bit more before I winterize but I don't think it will be more than an additional 30-40 gals.

It's been a short boating season this year, just like last year!
Old 09-30-2009, 05:39 PM   #11
tis

You are right Wolf. Baja. AS of last year the state has changed it from quarterly to once a year.
I know for diesel fuel you can apply to the IRS for the 21cent refund for off road too, but am unsure if that applies to gas.
Old 10-01-2009, 11:27 AM   #12
Phantom

Best of knowledge -- it's a "State Road/use Tax" and you have to file seperately
Old 10-01-2009, 12:34 PM   #13
tis

Yes, you do have to apply separately.