Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Weather
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-31-2008, 08:04 PM   #1
jayp603

Default when does it stop freezing?

i know ice out is soon, but when does it stop freezing at all? i am anxious to take recomission my boat, but dont want it to freeze after i get water in the engine.
jayp603 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 10:10 PM   #2
CanisLupusArctos

The avg. daily low temp in Concord for the month of April is 31 F. It rises to 41 for May.

Last winter we went below freezing for the last time on April 14. This winter has been warmer than last.

It is still not unusual to see a night or two below freezing in May, nor is it unusual to see some snow in May (it happens every few years.)

Many people launch their boats in May, and take out after foliage season ends in October. Between Labor Day and Columbus Day, nights below-freezing are much more common but I haven't heard any horror stories of boats freezing at that time of year.

I would say your greatest hazard from launching too soon after iceout is the Russian Roullette you play with floating/submerged debris which is common right after iceout. During spring the ice is known for grabbing things from the shoreline and letting them go in the middle of the lake where they put holes in hulls. Most people I know like to wait for that stuff to either sink or wash up on shore before they start boating in anything more than a kayak.
CanisLupusArctos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 06:20 AM   #3
Merrymeeting

Jay,

I worry about the same thing each year with the exposed pipes in our camp. The question is always when to turn on the water.

We've found that Patriots Day weekend (~April 19) is usually safe and haven't had a problem yet.

As for the boat, you would have even less worry. If it is sitting in 38-39 degree water (the norm after iceout), even if the air temp gets very cold for a few hours, you are not going to have a freeze solid enough to damange your engine.
Merrymeeting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 07:39 AM   #4
codeman671

We put our boats in the day that ice-out is called and never have had an issue. You need an extended amount of time with water in the block at very cold temps to actually freeze and crack anything. Warmer than freezing water temps and only short periods below 32 will not do any damage.
codeman671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 10:11 AM   #5
Orion

Default inboard or outboard?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayp603 View Post
i know ice out is soon, but when does it stop freezing at all? i am anxious to take recomission my boat, but dont want it to freeze after i get water in the engine.
Jayp, you didn't specify if you had I/O or outboard. If outboard you have no worries as all the water drains from the block when shut down. If I/O or inboard, Merrymeeting is right on.
Orion is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-01-2008, 03:56 PM   #6
VitaBene

Thanked 1,599 Times in 820 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayp603 View Post
Without getting into crazy safety arguments, there are some who advocate putting a 60 W lightbulb in the engine compartment
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 05:20 PM   #7
Webbsatwinni

I use a boat safe heater, they are a little pricey, but I got a used one from Ebay. It keeps the engine compartment around 45 degrees.

I used it during the winter for the past few years just as extra insurance from freezing even after I winterized and then at the lake this past fall and it worked great.

http://www.boatsafeheaters.com/
Webbsatwinni is offline   Reply With Quote