Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-11-2017, 06:21 PM   #1
Just Sold

Default WMUR Sleds through Ice - 1 death so far

Moultonborough, N.H. —
One person is dead after falling through the ice on Lake Winnipesaukee, and rescuers are searching for more people in the frigid water.

Both Alton and Moultonborough saw people fall through the ice Saturday afternoon. Saturday evening, dive teams were still searching for at least one person in Alton, hurrying to find clues before darkness set in. Airboats were also deployed to help in the search.

Officials confirmed that one person rescued in Moultonborough did not survive. They have not released the condition of a second person rescued there. Officials say the Moultonborough victims were riding snowmobiles that went through the ice.

Thousands of people are on Lake Winnipesaukee this weekend because of an annual ice fishing derby. Fish and Game officials say they've long been concerned about a situation just like this.

"Lake Winnipesaukee can be extremely unpredictable as far as ice depths," says Col Kevin Jordan of New Hampshire Fish and Game. "We've always had this real concern that we'd have a day like today, and it's just horrible.

http://www.wmur.com/article/person-k...saukee/8732793
The Following User Says Thank You to Just Sold For This Useful Post:
stingray (02-18-2019)
Old 02-11-2017, 07:01 PM   #2
ITD

I have no idea if it would have helped with these incidents, but I never venture on the ice without a pair of these around my neck, you never know.

ITD is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ITD For This Useful Post:
rgilfert (02-13-2017), Slickcraft (02-11-2017)
Old 02-11-2017, 07:19 PM   #3
Beauport

Also a serious snowmobiling accident in Moultonboro with a broken femur. Thank you to the folks who head out when one of us gets hurt.
Beauport is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Beauport For This Useful Post:
wadden (02-12-2017)
Old 02-11-2017, 08:02 PM   #4
GTO

Default One more

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Sold View Post
Moultonborough, N.H. —
One person is dead after falling through the ice on Lake Winnipesaukee, and rescuers are searching for more people in the frigid water.

Both Alton and Moultonborough saw people fall through the ice Saturday afternoon. Saturday evening, dive teams were still searching for at least one person in Alton, hurrying to find clues before darkness set in. Airboats were also deployed to help in the search.

Officials confirmed that one person rescued in Moultonborough did not survive. They have not released the condition of a second person rescued there. Officials say the Moultonborough victims were riding snowmobiles that went through the ice.

Thousands of people are on Lake Winnipesaukee this weekend because of an annual ice fishing derby. Fish and Game officials say they've long been concerned about a situation just like this.

"Lake Winnipesaukee can be extremely unpredictable as far as ice depths," says Col Kevin Jordan of New Hampshire Fish and Game. "We've always had this real concern that we'd have a day like today, and it's just horrible.

http://www.wmur.com/article/person-k...saukee/8732793
Another went through the ice and is still on the bottom of the lake in Meredith near patrician shores. Everyone's safe. The sled was towing a bob house slowly across the lake when the ice gave way with the machine and bobhouse going in.. divers gave up when it got dark and will get it out tomorrow.
Old 02-11-2017, 09:51 PM   #5
WINNOCTURN
Deceased Member

Default From Snowmobile Forum and SLed NH

Link to multiple News Stories.

http://www.slednh.com/forums/index.p...comment-100408
WINNOCTURN is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-12-2017, 04:03 PM   #6
webmaster

Thanked 3,691 Times in 819 Posts

Union Leader article with some more details:

http://www.unionleader.com/news/body...-to-3-20170212
webmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 05:07 PM   #7
tis

Thanked 1,371 Times in 947 Posts

http://www.unionleader.com

In case you don't want to bother opening the link, it says the boy's body has been recovered bringing the death toll from Sat to three.
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 08:35 PM   #8
LadyJane

So sad. My deepest sympathy to the families of these people.
LadyJane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 08:41 PM   #9
wadden

Default Snowmobile accident

To the Moultonborough Snowmobile Club, Moultonborough Fire and Emergency, NH Forest Rangers and the many wonderful individuals who unselfishly stayed with me after my accident on the trails yesterday, I can't thank you enough. The world needs more good people like all of you!
wadden is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to wadden For This Useful Post:
beantownbaby (02-13-2017), Dad sold the C * C (02-12-2017), HAMPTONS (02-13-2017), secondcurve (02-12-2017), thinkxingu (02-13-2017), trashman (02-13-2017)
Old 02-12-2017, 09:10 PM   #10
WinnisquamZ

Just read on NH1 site that 2 snowmobiles went in Winnisquam this afternoon. Both riders rescued. Sleds in water near state park

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
WinnisquamZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 08:13 AM   #11
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,088 Times in 782 Posts
Default Wild Weekend!

http://www.unionleader.com/In-additi...ue-NH-Saturday

A total of 9 incidents in 1 weekend!
Old 02-13-2017, 03:01 PM   #12
MAXUM

Thanked 1,942 Times in 802 Posts

Not terribly surprising.

Hate to say it but the way far to many ride sleds these days I'm surprised there aren't more accidents. Many riders go WAY to fast. I have had more close calls out there on the trails than I care to speak to and for certain those close calls would have translated into accidents if I were riding the same way some of these fools do. Doesn't help many machines today have no trouble getting above and beyond the century mark MPH wise and do so very quickly with a thumb twitch. That in the hands of either an inexperienced rider or somebody that simply has no concept of their own mortality and stuff like this is bound to happen. Two skis and ~150 inches of rubber track on snow and sometimes ice does not give you a vehicle capable of handling like a nascar but riders sure think they can and do. Very foolish and potentially deadly.

Far as those going through the ice, I wonder does it ever dawn on people that a frozen body of water, ESPECIALLY the size of Winni would have significant ice thickness variations? Or do they just look out and see well there are trucks, planes, sleds and ATVs over there so it must be good everywhere? Think this weekend illustrates that is an ignorant and sadly deadly assumption!

It's hard to have sympathy for stupidity, lack of judgement or any combination thereof.
MAXUM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 04:37 PM   #13
SAB1

No doubt Maxum is right on the speed thing. Many people do run machines at higher speeds than they should and the trails around the Lakes region tend to be twisty and narrow adding to the issue. Can't say we all haven't done so at times. No different than boats on the lake when you get down to it. Do agree it is the rider who ultimately is responsible for his/her actions but feel terrible for someone going through the ice and not making it, especially a boy of 15 years with alot of life ahead of him. Can't imagine the pain that boys family is feeling and the other family's as well. Thoughts go out to them. Always a good idea to visit local snowmobile club pages when riding areas not familiar. I know Moultonboro Snowmobile Club has unsafe lake conditions posted on their site.
SAB1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SAB1 For This Useful Post:
chasedawg (02-13-2017)
Old 02-13-2017, 04:39 PM   #14
Coolbreeze

Maxim,
as accurate as your post may be, a father has to bury his 15 year old son. If that doesn't hit a emotional note with you, then you are as cold and heartless as your post makes you sound.

Last edited by Coolbreeze; 02-13-2017 at 04:49 PM. Reason: Delete written in emotion
Coolbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to Coolbreeze For This Useful Post:
beantownbaby (02-14-2017), Bernie Girl (02-14-2017), camp guy (02-13-2017), chasedawg (02-13-2017), Cobalt 25 (02-13-2017), DEJ (02-13-2017), Doobs41378 (02-14-2017), ishoot308 (02-15-2017), jogator1 (02-17-2019), KPW (02-14-2017), pondguy (02-14-2017), Reilly (02-14-2017), stingray (02-18-2019), thinkxingu (02-14-2017), trashman (02-13-2017)
Old 02-13-2017, 05:16 PM   #15
ITD

I agree that some people go too fast on the trails, the straight aways with good sight lines are fine, but blasting around corners where you can't see is just stupid and I see that a lot. I have seen F and G on the trails with radar guns though and they do pull people over.
Old 02-13-2017, 05:22 PM   #16
Mink Islander

Default Snowmobiles on the lake

I feel awful that anyone lost their life on the lake this past weekend. Such a tragedy. Shouldn't have happened.

But people make mistakes, sometimes tragic ones.

Nothing good will be accomplished trying to judge them.
Mink Islander is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mink Islander For This Useful Post:
raydoe1 (02-14-2017), tummyman (02-14-2017)
Old 02-13-2017, 05:36 PM   #17
ITD

My instructions to people using my sleds is to stay behind me on the lake and if you feel the ice starting to go, speed up, don't slow down. I like to travel at least 30 on the lake, just because it feels like a good speed if the ice started failing under me. Don't know if that is true or not as I have never skimmed a sled.

Once again, I like going out when I see pick ups out there, and I very much dislike blazing trail on the ice. But as previous posters have said, mistakes happen and families are devastated, it can happen to any of us, anytime.
Old 02-13-2017, 05:52 PM   #18
RTTOOL
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxum View Post
not terribly surprising.

Hate to say it but the way far to many ride sleds these days i'm surprised there aren't more accidents. Many riders go way to fast. I have had more close calls out there on the trails than i care to speak to and for certain those close calls would have translated into accidents if i were riding the same way some of these fools do. Doesn't help many machines today have no trouble getting above and beyond the century mark mph wise and do so very quickly with a thumb twitch. That in the hands of either an inexperienced rider or somebody that simply has no concept of their own mortality and stuff like this is bound to happen. Two skis and ~150 inches of rubber track on snow and sometimes ice does not give you a vehicle capable of handling like a nascar but riders sure think they can and do. Very foolish and potentially deadly.

Far as those going through the ice, i wonder does it ever dawn on people that a frozen body of water, especially the size of winni would have significant ice thickness variations? Or do they just look out and see well there are trucks, planes, sleds and atvs over there so it must be good everywhere? Think this weekend illustrates that is an ignorant and sadly deadly assumption!

It's hard to have sympathy for stupidity, lack of judgement or any combination thereof.
you have to be a mean human to say that about human life
RTTOOL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 08:58 PM   #19
chasedawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolbreeze View Post
Maxim,
as accurate as your post may be, a father has to bury his 15 year old son. If that doesn't hit a emotional note with you, then you are as cold and heartless as your post makes you sound.

Maxim..... you should reread your post. I'm sure you didn't mean what you posted or didn't realize how it would read. No sympathy for what really happened. Just think if one of your family members or your son died in this tragic accident. My feelings are so strong supporting this family in this difficult time.
chasedawg is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to chasedawg For This Useful Post:
camp guy (02-14-2017), DEJ (02-14-2017), germangirlvt (02-15-2017), GTO (02-14-2017), KPW (02-14-2017), Outdoorsman (02-14-2017), raydoe1 (02-14-2017), RTTOOL (02-16-2017), thinkxingu (02-14-2017), upthesaukee (02-13-2017)
Old 02-14-2017, 09:05 AM   #20
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,088 Times in 782 Posts
Default Quit riding

I had sleds since the late sixties. Quit riding and the sold the machines around 2010. I've been hit in the rear a number of times on the trails when drivers are driving way too fast for conditions. Seen a number of crazy uncall for accidents.

Condolences to the families. Hopefully this will give out a clear message, the lake is not safe!
Maria (02-14-2017), Paugus Bay Resident (02-17-2019)
Old 02-14-2017, 09:26 AM   #21
MAXUM

I completely stand by what I said - there is ample information out there and certainly plenty of warnings that were NOT heeded.
  • Snowmobile clubs all over the state have been posting the ice is UNSAFE.
  • The fish and game have been posting this ice is UNSAFE.
  • The derby always recommends CHECK THE ICE CONDITIONS
  • Two seconds on this forum it becomes quite clear the ice is UNSAFE in many areas and your due diligence to figure out where you can and cannot go is a must. Going for a joy ride and hoping your on good ice is flat out suicide.

So each of the accidents that occurred on the lake were because the people involved did the following:
  • Failed to check the ice conditions before venturing out
  • Did check the ice conditions and did not heed any warnings
  • Just assumed the ice was safe and went for a ride where ever they wanted to, ironically enough the two in Moultonborough ran right into open water, the very open water there are pics posted on this web site of.

So again I say it's hard to have sympathy for anyone who ventures out on the ice not having done their due diligence before going. Do I feel bad for them, yep about as bad as I feel for a drunk driver who suffers the same fate. These tragic incidents were totally and completely avoidable. Why should I feel sorry about that?

I do feel for the families left behind as it was not their fault.
Old 02-14-2017, 12:09 PM   #22
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,135 Times in 889 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAXUM View Post

So again I say it's hard to have sympathy for anyone who ventures out on the ice not having done their due diligence before going. Do I feel bad for them, yep about as bad as I feel for a drunk driver who suffers the same fate. These tragic incidents were totally and completely avoidable. Why should I feel sorry about that?

I do feel for the families left behind as it was not their fault.
That is kind of harsh. It sounds like you have never made a mistake.
TiltonBB is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to TiltonBB For This Useful Post:
chasedawg (02-14-2017), DEJ (02-14-2017), GTO (02-14-2017), Jersey Bob (02-14-2017), Phantom (02-14-2017), pondguy (02-14-2017), secondcurve (02-14-2017), smith point boater (02-15-2017), thinkxingu (02-14-2017)
Old 02-14-2017, 12:56 PM   #23
fatlazyless

Does anyone here like to wear a pfd under their outer coat when snowmobiling out on the frozen lake? If it was me, I would wear one just for the psychological boost to know that I would remain floating if I wound up in the very cold water. A pfd and self rescue ice picks seems like it could make a difference because an individual can be good to self rescue from icy water for maybe 15-minutes before the cold water freezes up your fingers, hands and arms. Having a good breakfast with microwave oatmeal and orange juice probably helps too!
Old 02-14-2017, 01:06 PM   #24
jetskier

Post Flotation Assist Technology

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post
Does anyone here like to wear a pfd under their outer coat when snowmobiling out on the frozen lake? If it was me, I would wear one just for the psychological boost to know that I would remain floating if I wound up in the very cold water. A pfd and self rescue ice picks seems like it could make a difference because an individual can be good to self rescue from icy water for maybe 15-minutes before the cold water freezes up your fingers, hands and arms. Having a good breakfast with microwave oatmeal and orange juice probably helps too!
First, I am in no way endorsing skimming or snowmobiling on thin ice. My condolences go out to the families.

A PFD under or over a snowmobile jacket is not practical. The industry does have a solution called FAST (Flotation Assist Technology)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EoSUBb1nGCw

Jetskier
jetskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 01:34 PM   #25
MAXUM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiltonBB View Post
That is kind of harsh. It sounds like you have never made a mistake.
Well let's just say I tend to be a little more cautious when my life hangs in the balance. Maybe I have a better sense of my own mortality or maybe I choose to not be oblivious to things that pose an inherent risk to my well being. While I certainly recognize that accidents do happen - in my mind there is no excuse here. Ignorance played a big part in these events.. and it shouldn't have, not when there is so much information out there for starters that clearly indicated that ice conditions are variable on the lake and the consensus was it's unsafe. If that isn't enough - common sense would suggest that due prudence in being careful when venturing out is paramount. If anyone goes out on the ice unsure of it's integrity well I'd say that's playing odds that are not stacked in one's favor and ripe for disaster. Silly me for calling it what it is and saying yes darn right I'm not about to gamble with my life when that choice is under my control.

I will point out I was out on the ice this past weekend as well, but I had good information on what the conditions were like and chose not to take a chance bringing the sleds out because it was to risky IMHO.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MAXUM For This Useful Post:
bruinsfan (02-14-2017), Jersey Ed (02-15-2017)
Old 02-14-2017, 01:58 PM   #26
tbonies

I think I understand the real issue here. Anytime you see someone use the words I/my/me 16 times in 2 paragraphs...

Quote:
Well let's just say I tend to be a little more cautious when my life hangs in the balance. Maybe I have a better sense of my own mortality or maybe I choose to not be oblivious to things that pose an inherent risk to my well being. While I certainly recognize that accidents do happen - in my mind there is no excuse here. Ignorance played a big part in these events.. and it shouldn't have, not when there is so much information out there for starters that clearly indicated that ice conditions are variable on the lake and the consensus was it's unsafe. If that isn't enough - common sense would suggest that due prudence in being careful when venturing out is paramount. If anyone goes out on the ice unsure of it's integrity well I'd say that's playing odds that are not stacked in one's favor and ripe for disaster. Silly me for calling it what it is and saying yes darn right I'm not about to gamble with my life when that choice is under my control.

I will point out I was out on the ice this past weekend as well, but I had good information on what the conditions were like and chose not to take a chance bringing the sleds out because it was to risky IMHO.
tbonies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 06:25 PM   #27
secondcurve

Quote:

One of the fatalities was a fifteen year old kid for God sakes. Do you remember the mistakes you made as a kid or were you born a bitter old man? I'm not certain how you came to be so unforgiving but it is incredibly sad.
secondcurve is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to secondcurve For This Useful Post:
Doobs41378 (02-14-2017), pondguy (02-15-2017), SAB1 (02-14-2017), smith point boater (02-15-2017)
Old 02-14-2017, 07:08 PM   #28
bruinsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by secondcurve View Post
One of the fatalities was a fifteen year old kid for God sakes. Do you remember the mistakes you made as a kid or were you born a bitter old man? I'm not certain how you came to be so unforgiving but it is incredibly sad.
I understand your point; however he was out with his father.

Extremely tragic to say the least. I do not believe ANYONE is speaking bad of the child, just emphasizing the fact that it can be dangerous and this is what happens when not prepared/informed of the dangers.
bruinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 08:11 PM   #29
NH4me

I would imagine that any report of this sort of tragedy already serves as a reminder to everyone planning to venture out on the ice. That family will have to live with the circumstances of the accident every day of their lives, and I think Maxum could have made his point with less recrimination and more compassion.
NH4me is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to NH4me For This Useful Post:
KPW (02-14-2017), pondguy (02-15-2017), tummyman (02-14-2017)
Old 02-14-2017, 08:18 PM   #30
SAB1

Boy this debate goes on and on. No doubt the father should have known better. As mentioned above the fifteen year old you have cut some slack. Good grief it's a miracle I lived through those years. All an all, sometimes I think a lot of it is just the way society is now. When I was a kid you learned right from wrong. Now a days not so much. No body accepts responsibility or accountability for their actions. A lot of kids practically raise themselves as both parents aren't always around. I'm always over cautious on the ice. Scares me to death being on it and you'll never see me drive my truck on it but you also wouldn't catch me riding my motorcycle withou a helmet on either.......
SAB1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SAB1 For This Useful Post:
secondcurve (02-15-2017)
Old 02-15-2017, 07:12 AM   #31
Phantom

I think we have pretty well brought this thread to a new low and should close it out right about NOW !!

STOP the debate, take the lesson's learnt and move on ................

My sincere condolences to the families involved.

germangirlvt (02-15-2017), KPW (02-15-2017)
Old 02-15-2017, 07:44 AM   #32
tis

Tim Moore did an excellent video on ice safety on a snow machine. I think everybody who plans to go on a lake should watch it and probably carry the equipment he suggests.
Old 02-15-2017, 08:39 AM   #33
webmaster

Thanked 3,691 Times in 819 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tis View Post
Tim Moore did an excellent video on ice safety on a snow machine. I think everybody who plans to go on a lake should watch it and probably carry the equipment he suggests.
This one?:

webmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to webmaster For This Useful Post:
KPW (02-15-2017), Lakemamma (02-16-2017), trfour (02-15-2017)
Old 02-15-2017, 08:59 AM   #34
tis

https://www.facebook.com/SeacoastGuide

It is very similar to that video. He is sitting on a snow machine like in this picture. It is on Facebook and I can't copy and paste it. It was done right after this past tragic weekend. Maybe you can find it. In any event, it is about the same.

Thanks for posting.
The Following User Says Thank You to tis For This Useful Post:
trfour (02-15-2017)
Old 02-15-2017, 09:36 AM   #35
DBreskin

Quote:
https://www.facebook.com/SeacoastGuide

It is very similar to that video. He is sitting on a snow machine like in this picture. It is on Facebook and I can't copy and paste it. It was done right after this past tragic weekend. Maybe you can find it. In any event, it is about the same.

Thanks for posting.
Here's the video you're asking for:
https://www.facebook.com/TimMooreOut...3152964717060/
DBreskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 11:12 AM   #36
tis

Yes!! How did you do that??
Old 02-15-2017, 12:42 PM   #37
DBreskin

Quote:
Yes!! How did you do that??
On your PC, go to the video you want and right click.
Select "Show video URL".
Copy the displayed link.
Paste the link where desired.
DBreskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 04:28 PM   #38
tis

And you were able to copy it from Facebook? I have trouble copying things from Facebook. I couldn't find it on his site. Did you?
Old 02-16-2017, 07:52 AM   #39
fatlazyless

Default ... that old swimmer's belt to the rescue?

Instead of wearing a bulky personal flotation device under a snowmobile coat, one could wear a swimmer's belt? These are similar to the old water skier belts from the 1960's. Basically a bright yellow or white foam belt, about 5" high x 1 1/2" thick x 36" long, fastened with one strap with adjustable belt clip; designed for balancing your buoyancy and swimming and easy to adjust for best fit and swim movement. Cost; about 25-dollars locally at www.parafunalia.com in Gilford.

For $25-belt and $10-hand spikes, you get some extra safety? And, the bright orange ice rescue spikes can be loosely tied to the buckle area of the swimmer's belt. A bright yellow belt with bright orange rescue spikes would certainly be colorful ... yellow and orange....and worn hidden away, underneath the winter coat.

For a 2017-made, retro-1920's style swimmers belt .... at a very reasonable price-$16.95 .... maybe try googling "Tyr aquatic flotation belt." The Tyr aquatic flotation belt is basically a design from a hundred years ago, similar to a sturdy cotton strap with attached oval shaped, natural cork floats....and remade with 2017-modern materials. Suggest you check out all the reviews on it, at the SwimOutlet.com .... is the colors black & blue.

Sometimes, you can find an old 1960's water-skier belt at a yard sale for like 50-cents .... such a deal!

Anyone want to volunteer crashing their snowmobile through the thin ice while going 20-mph to test the swimmer's belt for practical use ...... like duh!....what hit me?.....and, am I still alive?.....or, just in the panic and mentally painful process of drowning?.......gasp-gasp-gasp???

http://www.unionleader.com/Mass.-and...mobile-crashes

Last edited by fatlazyless; 02-19-2017 at 10:27 AM.
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 08:43 AM   #40
Bigstan

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post

Anyone want to volunteer crashing a snowmobile through the thin ice while going 20-mph to test it out for practical use?

Not funny at all. I volunteer you.
Bigstan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bigstan For This Useful Post:
CTYankee (02-16-2017), Hillcountry (02-18-2017)
Old 02-16-2017, 10:39 AM   #41
bkelly13

Default Here's a good article about this year's ice.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/weathe...KFV?li=BBnb7Kz
bkelly13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 08:21 PM   #42
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,135 Times in 889 Posts
Default Tough Year

It is happening all over the Northeast. 10 Down. Be careful.

http://www.necn.com/news/national-in...413938883.html
TiltonBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 05:38 AM   #43
Joebon

There was a segment on Good day America yesterday morning about a rescue of a teenage girl in Maine that was caught on tape, but none of the deaths were reported. They did say that the reason the girl didn't drown is because she took her boots off when she went into the water.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Joebon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 07:13 AM   #44
Govnah

Default More good info...

Saw this video last year, good info!

Govnah is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Govnah For This Useful Post:
stingray (02-18-2019)
Old 02-17-2019, 08:15 AM   #45
Outdoorsman

Family donates Moultonborough Fire Department with a rescue hovercraft

https://www.laconiadailysun.com/news...6db7925f6.html
Outdoorsman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Outdoorsman For This Useful Post:
Top-Water (02-17-2019)
Old 02-17-2019, 08:43 AM   #46
joey2665

Thanked 1,007 Times in 648 Posts

What a fantastic gesture by the families !!!

joey2665 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to joey2665 For This Useful Post:
kawishiwi (02-18-2019), RoBe (02-19-2019), Top-Water (02-17-2019)
Old 02-17-2019, 08:49 AM   #47
fatlazyless

Moultonborough Fire Dept's new, orange hovercraft, was made in Parry Sound, Ontario, Canada by https://airriderhovercraft.com

What's a hovercraft all about ..... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cils95YBLWU ..... Rick drives an Air Rider hovercraft around and about Georgian Bay, Parry Sound, Ontario .... 6:05-minutes, March 19, 2014

And, the driving distance from Parry Sound, Ontario to Moultonborough is what .... an enquiring mind wants to know?

You know the Town of Moultonborough includes a large eastern area on Big Squam Lake, as well as a very large northern area on Lake Winnipesaukee, so will this new rescue hovercraft get stored on a trailer at their huge fire station on Route 25, or some place like down the south end of town at Harilla Landing, for faster access to Winnipesaukee?

Squam Lake is home to kite ice skating, parachute ice skating, and skiing on snow covered lake ice, so it's maybe not only snowmobiles that go through the ice with ice-goers getting injured. Understand that Winnipesaukee has no speed limit for snowmobiles on frozen Winnipesaukee ice, but am not sure if same is true for frozen Squam Lake ice?

Sport/individual hovercraft: The World's First Flying Ice Hut ... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TYq8rkS1qJc ... Georgina Life/Rogers tv, 4:59-minutes, Jan 28, 2016

Last edited by fatlazyless; 02-17-2019 at 06:04 PM.
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 11:58 AM   #48
Top-Water

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outdoorsman View Post
Family donates Moultonborough Fire Department with a rescue hovercraft

https://www.laconiadailysun.com/news...6db7925f6.html
Quote:
Originally Posted by joey2665 View Post
What a fantastic gesture by the families !!!
Nice to see a "relatively" positive outcome to this tragic situation. My sincere condolences to the families involved who lost loved ones. Hopefully none of us will never need it.
Top-Water is offline   Reply With Quote