Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Home, Cottage or Land Maintenance
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 02-23-2011, 07:40 PM   #1
NoBozo

Default UPS: Uninterupted Power Supply

There has been some talk about Power Outages in NH and solutions on another thread.

I have learned something in the last three weeks or so about "UPS". That stands for "Uninterrupted Power Supply"..............(Battery Backup/Surge Protection) for your computer.

Until recently, I had an APC (Brand) UPS. (APC BE750G) I owned it for about a year an a half with no problems. I had no problems because I had NO Power Outages...and never used "Self Test". This winter we had a couple of outages. The APC BE750G CRASHED the computer to OFF. So I tried the "Self Test" thingy in the APC Software. Again...CRASH.

I contacted APC with tepid results...then, after I mentioned that I had a DELL Studio XPS 435T/9000 computer, they told me that MY APC UPS was NOT Compatible with my DELL..because my DELL uses an "Active Power Factor Correction" (PFC) power supply..(Go Green).

This type of power supply NEEDS a PURE Sine Wave signal from the UPS..NOT a "Stepped.".OR "Simulated" Sine Wave.

APC (Brand) has an UPS that will do this..@ about $340. CyberPower (Brand) has one that suits my needs (power wise) for about $125 on Amazon. I was unable to find it in ANY (local ground) store.

I bought a CP850PFCLCD from Amazon. It's a step above..and includes the AVR function of the less expensive CP850AVRLCD. Check the reviews on Amazon or Tigerdirect. This unit is EXCELLENT.
NoBozo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 08:28 PM   #2
Dave R

We have 4 computers in my house with pure flat wave UPSs. All laptops come with them.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 06:25 AM   #3
brk-lnt

I have two rack-mount APC unit's that run the main rack for the house (security cameras, network, audio, home controller, burg panel, etc.). My laptop batteries last a couple of hours, and the PCs that aren't on any kind of backup are just the Mac Mini's on the TV's.
Old 02-24-2011, 08:19 AM   #4
Slickcraft

Thanked 2,002 Times in 915 Posts

We have an APC model XS 1500 LCD that has performed flawlessly for 4 years through many power outages. The Power Chute software shuts down the Dell E510 at the selected time (5 min, my choice) every time. It also keeps a log of power outages and/or low voltage events.

I did try operating our pellet stove via the APC UPS battery mode with no luck. The UPS unit produced the necessary wattage however the 120V ac output was not clean enough to run the variable speed fans. We ended up with a Honda 2KW portable generator (much cleaner sine wave) to run the pellet stove in a power outage.
Slickcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 09:15 AM   #5
CateP

I really appreciate this particular thread. I know it sounds pretty technical, but I am going to use this information when I set up my office. I tend to be a gear head and am drooling over the new Mac Pro notebook that just came out today, but my company uses Windows so I've got to focus on my little HP Elitebook 8440p.

Thanks for this great info.
CateP is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-24-2011, 10:30 AM   #6
Argie's Wife

One thing about APC - you can register your product and depending on which APC product you've purchased, they will insure your computer or server and/or UPS.

Now, what would I need to plug in my coffee maker so it would work during a power outage?
Argie's Wife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 11:18 AM   #7
brk-lnt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argie's Wife View Post
One thing about APC - you can register your product and depending on which APC product you've purchased, they will insure your computer or server and/or UPS.

Now, what would I need to plug in my coffee maker so it would work during a power outage?
The average coffee maker draws about 800 watts. Without getting into a deep EE discussion, watts are volts X amps, while the average UPS uses a "VA" (volt amps rating) which takes into account the fact with AC power different kinds of devices behave differently than they do with DC power.

For simple mostly resistive loads, like light bulbs and coffee makers, the two are interchangeable. For more complex loads, you apply a power factor correction, which is typically .7 or 70%.

For the common UPS, assume it can power a pure wattage device that equals 60% of it's VA rating (eg: a 1000VA UPS can power a 600W pure resistive load).

So, for your 800 watt coffer maker, you need a ups sized at 800/.6 or 1333VA. Round that up a bit for safety so, you'd probably want a 1500VA UPS, with enough battery to run it for the average brew cycle of a coffee pot (~5 minutes).

There are a few options, but you're looking for something like this:
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...864&TId=2&SF=1

So, for about $340 you can brew one pot of coffee during a power outage.
Argie's Wife (02-24-2011)
Old 02-24-2011, 02:27 PM   #8
Argie's Wife

Quote:
Originally Posted by brk-lnt View Post
So, for about $340 you can brew one pot of coffee during a power outage.
If you had to live with me when I'm coffee-deprived, you'd consider it money well-spent.
Argie's Wife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 08:59 PM   #9
NHKathy

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoBozo View Post
There has been some talk about Power Outages in NH and solutions on another thread.

I have learned something in the last three weeks or so about "UPS". That stands for "Uninterrupted Power Supply"..............(Battery Backup/Surge Protection) for your computer.

Until recently, I had an APC (Brand) UPS. (APC BE750G) I owned it for about a year an a half with no problems. I had no problems because I had NO Power Outages...and never used "Self Test". This winter we had a couple of outages. The APC BE750G CRASHED the computer to OFF. So I tried the "Self Test" thingy in the APC Software. Again...CRASH.

I contacted APC with tepid results...then, after I mentioned that I had a DELL Studio XPS 435T/9000 computer, they told me that MY APC UPS was NOT Compatible with my DELL..because my DELL uses an "Active Power Factor Correction" (PFC) power supply..(Go Green).

This type of power supply NEEDS a PURE Sine Wave signal from the UPS..NOT a "Stepped.".OR "Simulated" Sine Wave.

APC (Brand) has an UPS that will do this..@ about $340. CyberPower (Brand) has one that suits my needs (power wise) for about $125 on Amazon. I was unable to find it in ANY (local ground) store.

I bought a CP850PFCLCD from Amazon. It's a step above..and includes the AVR function of the less expensive CP850AVRLCD. Check the reviews on Amazon or Tigerdirect. This unit is EXCELLENT.
NoBozo: is it the particular Dell model you have or is it all Dells? I ask because I had to get rid of my APC unit because it kept "fritzing" (for lack of a better word). It would randomly sound off an "alarm" noise when there was still power on and there was no interuption of power. Sometimes it would happen as I was sitting there working on the computer and sometimes it would happen in the middle of the night... I couldn't figure out what was wrong with it. Someone told me that it may need a new battery, but it has done this since I first got it.
So, I wonder now, maybe it was receiving a stepped or simulated Sine Wave???
NHKathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 09:30 AM   #10
Kamper

I have an APC XS 1300 backup. My work computer is an IBM Lenovo Thinkpad T400. This backup was on the 'acceptable' list when I set up my home-office but as suggested above, it might be the computer's internal battery that levels off the power.

CateP, if you are currently (no pun intended) using a tower/base (PC) system you might want to switch to a laptop. You don't need a docking station for it. I used a USB splitter on my personal laptop for years to attach a mouse, USB keyboard, printer and other accessories. You can also attach an external monitor to the port on the back of the laptop and configure that for primary or multi-screen function (very useful one you get used to it!). They've got new ones coming out with a terabyte of memory estimated to be under $1000.

In an extreme situation you can grab your lap-top and find a friend or hotel, with power and 'net and be back in business. Also, consider a memory backup up device and/or offsite backup services.

Last edited by Kamper; 02-25-2011 at 12:59 PM. Reason: added word "memory" to last paragraph
Kamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 10:57 AM   #11
NoBozo

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHKathy View Post
NoBozo: is it the particular Dell model you have or is it all Dells? I ask because I had to get rid of my APC unit because it kept "fritzing" (for lack of a better word). It would randomly sound off an "alarm" noise when there was still power on and there was no interuption of power. Sometimes it would happen as I was sitting there working on the computer and sometimes it would happen in the middle of the night... I couldn't figure out what was wrong with it. Someone told me that it may need a new battery, but it has done this since I first got it.
So, I wonder now, maybe it was receiving a stepped or simulated Sine Wave???

I've had my Dell XPS 435T/9000 Crash to OFF right in front of my eyes while working. (without a house power failure) The APC Powerchute software does it's own "Self Test" every two weeks on it's own...randomly. MY Dell, is a higher end tower with the Intel i7 920 processor..and a "PFC" internal power supply. All computers have an internal power supply, but THIS one is "PFC" and the "Normal" APC (brand) UPS is NOT compatible. APC makes a "PFC" Compatible UPS for about $340 (Amazon). I don't know if other Dells have the "PFC" power supply or not.

I looked at all the Specs that came with my computer and can't find any mention of what type of power supply it has. APC TOLD ME what it was. I Googled "Dell Studio XPS 435T power supply" and found a forum that verified other people were having the same problem with the Dell Studio XPS, ...and the "PFC" power supply was the cause when combined with a NON Pure Sine Wave UPS.

Go into your APC Powerchute software on the toolbar down by the clock and look for "Self Test". Do the test. If it CRASHES to OFF and then restarts on it's own, then your computer probably has a "PFC" power supply. My computer is a year and a half old. I wouldn't be suprised if all Newer Dells have this power supply because it's Green...power saving.

When the computer is not used for say half an hour, it will..along with the monitor, "go to sleep". When this happens, my New CyberPower CP850PFCLCD Back-UPS unit will indicate via the LCD Display, that the computer, Monitor, and DSL Modem are drawing Zero (0) Watts. The only thing drawing power is is a few LED lights. BTW: The Computer, 21" LCD Monitor and DSL Modem draw a combined 132 Watts. Play a music CD on the computer and the draw goes up to 137 Watts. NB

Last edited by NoBozo; 02-25-2011 at 03:34 PM.
NoBozo is offline   Reply With Quote