Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-08-2019, 10:17 AM   #1
webmaster

Thanked 3,691 Times in 819 Posts
Default The Dive Has a New Home

Announced on their Facebook page:

Quote:
East Coast Flightcraft and Winnipesaukee Pier are excited to announce the new home of "The Dive".
webmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to webmaster For This Useful Post:
Top-Water (01-08-2019)
Old 01-08-2019, 10:45 AM   #2
8gv

If it is going to move out into the lake from there each day this should be interesting.

That's a very bumpy area!
8gv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 10:59 AM   #3
codeman671

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8gv View Post
If it is going to move out into the lake from there each day this should be interesting.

That's a very bumpy area!
If they are venturing out to set up at a sand bar they will be leaving early and coming back late. I agree though, if they try to move mid-day on a sunny Saturday in August it may be a rough go.
codeman671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 11:06 AM   #4
AC2717

my guess to operate as a night spot and it also will draw visitors to the Weirs by boat and vehicle
pretty good on them, but will draw from some businesses on the boardwalk
I'm guessing broadside to the eating deck for docking?
Old 01-08-2019, 12:08 PM   #5
kawishiwi

Default Burger Barge

The destiny for this thing has always been to be primarily docked somewhere and open for business, with only occasional offshore trips, vs sitting on sand bars.
Unless this is a "hobby" business they need more customers on a more regular basis. Once they experience more $ flow by staying put I think the forays offshore will diminish unless a big $ charter or lakeside wedding or party lures them off the dock.
I still think this will be leased or sold to be added to an existing restaurant whether it is used to add to or establish a waterfront location.
Old 01-08-2019, 12:22 PM   #6
baygo

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawishiwi View Post
The destiny for this thing has always been to be primarily docked somewhere and open for business, with only occasional offshore trips, vs sitting on sand bars.
Unless this is a "hobby" business they need more customers on a more regular basis. Once they experience more $ flow by staying put I think the forays offshore will diminish unless a big $ charter or lakeside wedding or party lures them off the dock.
I still think this will be leased or sold to be added to an existing restaurant whether it is used to add to or establish a waterfront location.
Governance of operations changes when it docked opposed to afloat. I know the Mount Washington has to stop service of alcohol before it gets to the dock. I haven't been on the dive but from what I heard it's a bit pricey and even if the city did let it serve while docked it may have a hard time competing with the price standards of weirs beach.
baygo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 01:35 PM   #7
TheVoiceOfReason

People are willing to spend a little more for a higher quality experience. I've never been in/on The Dive, but if they produce a superior atmosphere to the other establishments in the Weirs then they can charge a superior price for a beer/appetizer/meal and people will continue to support the business. If it was always about the cheapest option then McDonald's would always win, but then again we've had similar discussions on other pages on this forum, especially in the restaurant section.
TheVoiceOfReason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 03:33 PM   #8
joey2665

Thanked 1,007 Times in 648 Posts

I think this is a positive for The Dive. More exposure closer to Braun Bay and can also access other locations such as Timber Island, They is the past have traveled very early in the morning and very late at night so I do not think that boat traffic while traveling will be a big issue
joey2665 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 05:32 PM   #9
Rinkerguy

A few observations...

It will be interesting to see where they park the Dive at the pier, and whether their license allows them to sell beers or drinks while docked.

Further it will be interesting to see if prices remain the same this year or increase ... currently similar pricing to Nazwa I think

Where and how often will they venture off the pier ... was a short trip to the sandbar from West Alton, certainly a littler further from Wiers

In the interest of full exposure I am a fan f the Dive and hope they succeed
Rinkerguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 05:47 PM   #10
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,957 Times in 1,209 Posts

I'm glad they have found a home and, honestly, hope they don't find their way back to WAM (as often). The tone of the sandbar was much different when the barge was present than when it wasn't. I can definitely see the "river boat" kinda thing they'd have at The Weirs, though.

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to thinkxingu For This Useful Post:
Electric man (01-08-2019)
Old 01-08-2019, 06:37 PM   #11
fatlazyless

Semi-permanently parking The Dive, www.thedive-nh.com , a 66' x 22' (is this correct?) double-deck, floating steel barge-bar-restaurant powered by two large outboard motors, at the The Pier at Weirs' Beach seems like it could be the #1 best spot for it on the whole lake what with all the parking, potential customers, city services, and general Weirs' Beach fun and friendly atmosphere ...... so, best business for The Dive ..... and bottoms up!

About 15 years ago, The Queen of Winnipesaukee, a 45' twin masted sailboat did 90-minute cruises out of the same Pier location, and the City of Laconia would not let it have a lease any longer than one year that was self renewing or something, so The Queen left for Florida.

So, what-o-what will Laconia and the Marine Patrol have to say about The Dive here?

Last summer, didn't The Dive show up unannounced at the Town of Alton town dock only to be met by the flashing blue lights of an Alton Police car at the dock area which would not allow it to use the dock there. So who knows, maybe it does not have all its ducks in a neat row with the City of Laconia and the NH Marine Patrol?

Will the Weirs' gas dock for boats video cam be showing what's happening at The Dive? Ya know that could be a good video cam, and maybe the #1 best thing about this new move ....... The Dive-live, as seen on the gasoline cam shot! Just think ..... you can sit at home with a beer in hand .... in your recliner, rocking chair, or nursing home, assisted care living facility ...... watching CNN, Fox or MSNBC with one eye ..... and watching The Dive live cam with the other ..... just lean back and close both your eyes ...... and soak up all that Dive-Weirs-Winnipesaukee atmosphere ...... holy-moly!

Last edited by fatlazyless; 01-09-2019 at 12:18 PM.
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 09:09 AM   #12
The Real BigGuy

What if it moves 5ft off the pier and drops it’s spuds - can the city still control liquor sales?

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
The Real BigGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to The Real BigGuy For This Useful Post:
joey2665 (01-09-2019)
Old 01-09-2019, 09:23 AM   #13
joey2665

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Real BigGuy View Post
What if it moves 5ft off the pier and drops it’s spuds - can the city still control liquor sales?

I am sure the State has a minimum distance that you need to be away from the pier for sales to start and stop.
Old 01-09-2019, 09:54 AM   #14
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,135 Times in 889 Posts
Default Not a city issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Real BigGuy View Post

The city does not regulate liquor sales, the state does. The city has no control over boats and liquor sales.
TiltonBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 11:06 AM   #15
Descant

Thanked 1,492 Times in 970 Posts
Default No control by the city?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiltonBB View Post
The city does not regulate liquor sales, the state does. The city has no control over boats and liquor sales.
I haven't been to the Weirs by boat in awhile, bot I seem to recall signs at the pub lic docks that said no drinking while docked. That's on my own boat, not sale of anything.
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 11:54 AM   #16
codeman671

Quote:
Originally Posted by Descant View Post
I haven't been to the Weirs by boat in awhile, bot I seem to recall signs at the pub lic docks that said no drinking while docked. That's on my own boat, not sale of anything.
Probably the case, but the Dive would be tied up to the Pier (private property), not to the public docks.
codeman671 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to codeman671 For This Useful Post:
LIforrelaxin (01-09-2019)
Old 01-09-2019, 12:10 PM   #17
baygo

Quote:
Originally Posted by codeman671 View Post
Probably the case, but the Dive would be tied up to the Pier (private property), not to the public docks.
If it is tied to a private dock it will have to get a letter of approval from the city to submit to the liquor Commissioner in order to serve while tied.
baygo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 12:16 PM   #18
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

Couple of things to point out...

- The Winnipesaukee Pier as mentioned is Private
- Alton the issue was using a town facility of loading and unloading of passengers ( this puts some liability on the town.)
- I am sure that the Dive, would have to have the same permission from the town that the other establishments whom serve liquor and food up and down the board walk.... They would be connected to the pier, which is connected to the town of Laconia

Last we shouldn't be speculating on what permits etc, they might need... I am sure they have looked into that... and may actually have everything in order already to make this happen.
Old 01-09-2019, 12:22 PM   #19
TiltonBB

It is legal to drink on a boat in a marina although Laconia may have some restrictions and consider drinking at the public docks a violation of their restriction on drinking in public. The Dive has a license to sell liquor that is good while underway but not good while tied up at the dock. They would have to re-apply if they wanted to make that change and sell liquor while tied up.

Contrary to what was stated above the Mount Washington can sell liquor at their dock without leaving the dock. There are requirements from the Fire Department but the sale and consumption of alcohol is legal. In many past years during Laconia Motorcycle Week the Mount stayed at the dock for a good part of the week and sold alcohol on board.
Old 01-09-2019, 12:26 PM   #20
fatlazyless

Default .... but Officer, this is a boat!

Ya never know, but with boaters coming and going, either to The Dive's boater take-out window, or for boat docking nearby at the Weirs docks on the other side of the docked or moving 230' M/S Mount Washington cruise ship, it would be a great spot for the MP to stake it out for boater .08-dui ......and you understand that NH does not have an open container law for boats, so why even hide it in a screw top soda bottle?

What is it about motor boaters and alcoholic adult beverages that make the two so attractive to one another? Motor boating and alcohol just seem to be a natural or something ..... so many like to get out in a motor boat, soak up the sunshine, and have a brew or something ..... been going on forever?

Like, with row boats, kayaks, and paddle boards ...... which are all self-propelled ..... people will have a plastic water bottle with drinking water .... and never-ever go boat'n with an adult beverage ...... why is that? But, with motor boats ..... between the very loud and ever present engine roaring noise and effects of the alcohol, it's like a double whammy, or something, and then there's the big strong sun overhead, as well ..... a brew-ha-ha?

Like, with NH not having an open container law for boats ……. sup stand-up paddle boarding down The Dive-Weirs' way seems to be totally legal while wearing this hard hat-two beer can holder https://www.aliexpress.com/w/wholesa...zzler-hat.html …. like no fool'n! .... aka ...... a guzzler hat!

Last edited by fatlazyless; 01-12-2019 at 07:00 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to fatlazyless For This Useful Post:
lnptrl (01-16-2019)
Old 01-09-2019, 01:28 PM   #21
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default Alton problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIforrelaxin View Post
Couple of things to point out...

- The Winnipesaukee Pier as mentioned is Private
- Alton the issue was using a town facility of loading and unloading of passengers ( this puts some liability on the town.)
- I am sure that the Dive, would have to have the same permission from the town that the other establishments whom serve liquor and food up and down the board walk.... They would be connected to the pier, which is connected to the town of Laconia

Last we shouldn't be speculating on what permits etc, they might need... I am sure they have looked into that... and may actually have everything in order already to make this happen.
The Alton problem was that they did not go to the town to get a permit to use the docks. No guarantee that it should have been granted, but without one, use of the docks was denied.

Dave
Old 01-13-2019, 05:51 AM   #22
GBGX2

Default A Dive Update!

https://www.facebook.com/16544150545...0563590314128/

“We are so excited about our new partnership with East Coast Flightcraft and Winnipesaukee Pier! We plan on being the new, night-time hot spot and docked at the Pier most nights for our patrons to come by land. Stay tuned for more exciting news and ticketed events!“
GBGX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GBGX2 For This Useful Post:
gravy boat (01-13-2019)
Old 01-13-2019, 07:29 AM   #23
joey2665

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBGX2 View Post
https://www.facebook.com/16544150545...0563590314128/

“We are so excited about our new partnership with East Coast Flightcraft and Winnipesaukee Pier! We plan on being the new, night-time hot spot and docked at the Pier most nights for our patrons to come by land. Stay tuned for more exciting news and ticketed events!“

Looks like focusing more on the night crowd. I wonder if they will now be limiting their sand bar excursions

Old 01-13-2019, 07:52 AM   #24
TiltonBB

They will need to apply to change their liquor license. At the present time they can only sell alcohol while underway. I know the NH Liquor Commission will ask for the city's opinion before they will issue it.

I wonder what the city will say and how long the process will take. I would think that the matter will be taken up and voted on by the Laconia City Council. You would think the owners of the Dive would have taken care of these things prior to leasing the dock and making a public announcement.
Old 01-13-2019, 08:16 AM   #25
JADAQ

The way I read into it, it sounds more like that is more of a spot to load/unload passengers for special events and booze cruises not to sit docked at Weirs beach and watch people each pizza at the boardwalk.

Also, this is now a pretty long and potentially rough ride to West Alton sandbar, but a little closer to Braun Bay. This should make everyone happy over in West Alton!

We shall wait and see!
JADAQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 08:23 AM   #26
gravy boat

Default The Dive

Perhaps the owners already have or are close to having all required permits/licenses. I doubt they posted here today because they are just starting the process
gravy boat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gravy boat For This Useful Post:
Outdoorsman (01-15-2019)
Old 01-13-2019, 08:30 AM   #27
joey2665

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiltonBB View Post
They will need to apply to change their liquor license. At the present time they can only sell alcohol while underway. I know the NH Liquor Commission will ask for the city's opinion before they will issue it.

I wonder what the city will say and how long the process will take. I would think that the matter will be taken up and voted on by the Laconia City Council. You would think the owners of the Dive would have taken care of these things prior to leasing the dock and making a public announcement.

Do we know if they have already started the process or even have the change already?

Old 01-13-2019, 08:56 AM   #28
birchhaven

Guys, all you need is a letter from the planning dept director, I am sure they already have this or will get it, since liquor is allowed in that location. Then all they need is a permit of assemble from the Laconia Fire Dept, again I am sure they already have this or will have it. Some places get this literally days prior to opening. I am sure they had one in Alton, so the boat should pass inspection easily.

Everything else is from the state. Getting a liquor license in NH is pretty easy relative to a lot of other permits that are out there.
birchhaven is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to birchhaven For This Useful Post:
Descant (01-13-2019), joey2665 (01-13-2019), Outdoorsman (01-15-2019)
Old 01-13-2019, 09:25 AM   #29
fatlazyless

Exclamation .... but Officer, this is a boat!

So, that will become a very happening and busy waterfront dock area, down there, at the long time home port of the 230' M/S Mount Washington cruise ship, plus her two sister tour boats the 74' M/V Sophie C. and the 68' M/V Doris E. .....US Mail Boat cruises ...... a busy, busy, busy, spot ..... what with all these moving tour boats, loading, unloading, moving out, heading in, parking, etcetera, a lot of moving parts here .... plus The Dive's drive-up boat window for food and adult beverages ..... plus all the other private boaters, kayaks, paddle boards, and jet-skis .... plus the boater gasoline station-dock ..... plus the Flightcraft marina .... plus the Weirs Beach public docks for docking a boat ..... plus the Weirs Beach beach and swim area ..... plus the boardwalk up top the steep embankment on the shore land.

Just add adult beverages to the mix?

The only thing that's missing is the miniature golf course, that was there for decades ...... and now it's gone ....and you know, if The Dive really happens ..... that miniature golf course could be a good side happening to co-exist along with The Dive ...... drink'n and miniature golf ..... a great combination ....... why not ..... just you watch this here hole-in-one here ..... I'll drink to that!

Ya knows ..... that miniature golf course will really be missed ...... I miss it already!

Seems like a happening spot for the Marine Patrol to stake it out, looking for .08-dui boaters ....... and, as you probably know, NH does not have an open container prohibition for boats like it does for cars ..... so's there's really no reason to hide it in screw-top plastic soda bottles.

As an historical side note here, did you know that both Doris E. and Sophie C., two sisters, are real people, and were both extremely good look'n, attractive women.
Old 01-13-2019, 08:52 PM   #30
tummyman

Nobody will probably care, but in my opinion, this "thing" does not fit on our beautiful lake. It just does not blend into our beautiful lake and makes the area look honky tonk ! I just don't think this is a business that the majority of folks on the lake would endorse. Nothing like this to adversely impact the neighborhoods. If it were temporarily parked in my neighborhood to operate its' business, I would be very upset. There are enough places for people to get beverages. Let's not mess up the scenery and tranquility of this lake we so much enjoy. Just my opinion......
tummyman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tummyman For This Useful Post:
WakeboardMom (01-14-2019)
Old 01-13-2019, 09:25 PM   #31
Top-Water

Quote:
Originally Posted by tummyman View Post
Nobody will probably care.......
I do and tend to agree with you, however at the same time I don't want to see them fail.

Is that even possible to have both thoughts? Selfishly I would like the lake to be a little bit more like it was years ago, but at the same time it seems many folks are enjoying it and would not want to take that away from them. I'm hoping it's fad but if it prospers I'll live with it. Hopefully things will work out at the Weirs without problems.
Top-Water is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 09:37 PM   #32
joey2665

Quote:
Nobody will probably care, but in my opinion, this "thing" does not fit on our beautiful lake. It just does not blend into our beautiful lake and makes the area look honky tonk ! I just don't think this is a business that the majority of folks on the lake would endorse. Nothing like this to adversely impact the neighborhoods. If it were temporarily parked in my neighborhood to operate its' business, I would be very upset. There are enough places for people to get beverages. Let's not mess up the scenery and tranquility of this lake we so much enjoy. Just my opinion......

The areas this business has in its model to anchor up I would not consider “tranquil “ in season which is when they plan to set up. I do not think it has an adverse effect on the lake. Have you been out on a weekend in season with all the captain bone heads? I would not call the lake tranquil at all from Friday afternoon til Sunday evening during the summer.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to joey2665 For This Useful Post:
gravy boat (01-14-2019), Reilly (01-14-2019)
Old 01-14-2019, 04:54 AM   #33
fatlazyless

Default ...... say yes to The Dive - Weirs Beach - 2019!

How's that sound to you .... The Dive - Weirs Beach - 2019 ..... it sounds great to me ..... seems like a natural .... would be a great fit .... a go-to spot .... a business booster for that Winnipesaukee Pier area, all summer long ..... this is such a good fit for that location, it is totally amazing!

Look, there is certainly no sand bar or wading area in that Flightcraft Marina spot, so there will be no boaters dropping anchor, and wading over to The Dive, that will not be happening. It will be a bar-restaurant-music zone directly on the water, and will probably attract a number of boaters, jet-skiers, and kayakers who just hang out, listen to the music, and go there as a place to go without leaving their vessel.

For something like 95-years, Laconia has been home to Bike Week, so between the Laconia Police and the Marine Patrol, it should be easy to keep the peace with The Dive. The Laconia PD patrols the area on bicycles, and the Marine Patrol on boats and jet skis.

It could be a very happening new venue that does good things for the whole Weirs Beach area. Sure, there may be a problem or two in the first year, that will quickly get ironed out, because probably everyone wants it to go good.

I just wish the miniature golf course was still there, and part of what's happening at Weirs Beach. So, maybe The Dive would be willing to revive and run the old miniature golf course, using it as an overflow area for their patrons waiting to get on-board, and giving them an 18-hole, Weirs Beach memory. Mini-golf could be alive at The Dive!

Last edited by fatlazyless; 01-14-2019 at 08:37 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to fatlazyless For This Useful Post:
gravy boat (01-14-2019)
Old 01-14-2019, 10:47 AM   #34
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

Quote:
This reminds me a an old tune... "Signs Signs everywhere are signs *&%!ing up the scenery"

anyway back tot the topic at hand
Old 01-14-2019, 12:44 PM   #35
Biggd

Thanked 1,065 Times in 672 Posts

I would probably visit it if it was at the Weirs dock but I don't go to sand bars. Wading around in a big toilet bowl doesn't appeal to me very much.
Biggd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 04:30 PM   #36
Outdoorsman

Quote:
Nobody will probably care, ....
You are correct, I don't...

The NIMBY attitude is so 1970's.

Good luck to the owners of The Dive... Looking forward to The Dive II
Outdoorsman is offline   Reply With Quote