Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating > Boat Repairs & Maintenance
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-04-2018, 02:00 PM   #1
Island Girl

Default What is wrong with my boat?

While under way these two gauges seem a bit off. Can anyone tell me what could be wrong.
Attached Images

....... Make Lemonade
Island Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 04:28 PM   #2
Hillcountry

Not sure what the first gage is but the second one is your charging system and it might be a “tad” high. Should be around 14-15 volts but 16 is not out of sight.
Is the first one a depth gage?
If so, you would need to calibrate it next to a digital depth gage to see how much it’s off (if at all)
Is your boat exhibiting any bad or unusual symptoms?
Hillcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 04:35 PM   #3
noreast

Were you in the Bermuda Triangle?
noreast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 05:40 PM   #4
jeffk

Just did a quick look online and the first may be a water pressure gauge for the cooling system. Supposedly it is common to vary in pressure from very low at low engine speed to 25 or so at WOT. Different engines handle it differently. Yamaha engines hold around 11. Why do you think it is "off". Does it read differently than it has in the past?

Here's a link https://www.texassaltwaterfishingmag...pressure-gauge

I don't have any experience but the article says basically, see what is normal for your boat and if it changes, check it out.
jeffk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 07:07 PM   #5
Top-Water

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Girl View Post
While under way these two gauges seem a bit off. Can anyone tell me what could be wrong.
You left out some important information.

What kind of Boat/Engine configuration do you have.

The water pressure gauge could be from the winter cold. Does the gauge go back to "zero" when the boat/engine is "off". If it does not go back to zero, it probably was damaged by water that made its way up to the gauge and froze over the winter if the boat was stored some place where this very very small amount of water could freeze and knock the gauge out of calibration. (Same problem can happen to speedometer gauges that rely on water pressure to make them function.)

Deepening on your skill levels it can be repaired if you like to tinker with delicate instruments. Have had to do mine once before figuring what do I have to lose if its broken. But I got lucky and it works perfectly since the repair.

As some other folks have mentioned these readings are not that far off from normal depending on what the engine is actually doing at the time you took the pictures.

Without any information about the boat and engine it could be a lot of different things.

Also mentioned >>> Does it read differently than it has in the past? Did you have any work done on the boat/engine over the winter.
Top-Water is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-04-2018, 07:08 PM   #6
Cal Coon

What kind of motor do you have? Outboard, inboard/outboard, 2 stroke, or 4 stroke? Hard to advise not knowing. First gauge looks to me like a water temp gauge, and running hot. The other one is definitely your battery voltage gauge, and is definitely over charging according to the gauge. Could be voltage regulator, battery, alternator, or maybe the gauge itself is junk... I would not take the chance of running it till you get them checked out. The water temp is critical. You could cause significant damage if it overheats, and a relatively easy fix could get a lot worse ($$) if you run it hot...
Cal Coon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 07:24 PM   #7
Island Girl

Default My engine

1994 200 hp 2 stroke Evinrude Ocean Pro outboard. I recall the voltage gauge being around 13-14 and the water pressure gauge being in the middle around 10-11.

They go down when I slow down and stop.

Thanks.. sorry for lack of info

IG

....... Make Lemonade
Island Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 07:47 PM   #8
DesertDweller

Father had the same era Evinrude back in the day. On the water pressure, it was usually around 5 or so psi at idle and around 20 or a little bit more psi at wide open throttle so I would think you are fine. On the voltage, 16 is pushing it. Probably want to have the regulator and battery checked.
DesertDweller is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 08:24 PM   #9
Blue Thunder

Definitely overcharging IG. Get it looked at as soon as you can or you’ll risk ruining your battery.
Old 05-04-2018, 10:13 PM   #10
Top-Water

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillcountry View Post
Not sure what the first gage is
It is the "water pressure" gauge.

Just an after thought after my earlier post on the water pressure gauge. The higher than normal water pressure could be from the "extra extra" cold lake water temps at the moment ..... When the thermostat closes (to let the engine get hotter) it sometimes raises the water pressure as the thermostat holds back the flow of water trying to cool the engine creating a temporary rise in water pressure.
Top-Water is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 07:17 AM   #11
8gv

Your boat is fine.

You may want to get your motor checked.

8gv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 10:47 AM   #12
Cal Coon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top-Water View Post
You left out some important information.

What kind of Boat/Engine configuration do you have.

The water pressure gauge could be from the winter cold. Does the gauge go back to "zero" when the boat/engine is "off". If it does not go back to zero, it probably was damaged by water that made its way up to the gauge and froze over the winter if the boat was stored some place where this very very small amount of water could freeze and knock the gauge out of calibration. (Same problem can happen to speedometer gauges that rely on water pressure to make them function.)

Deepening on your skill levels it can be repaired if you like to tinker with delicate instruments. Have had to do mine once before figuring what do I have to lose if its broken. But I got lucky and it works perfectly since the repair.

As some other folks have mentioned these readings are not that far off from normal depending on what the engine is actually doing at the time you took the pictures.

Without any information about the boat and engine it could be a lot of different things.

Also mentioned >>> Does it read differently than it has in the past? Did you have any work done on the boat/engine over the winter.
We posted 1 minute apart from each other!! I was still typing when you posted, otherwise I would not have asked the same questions that you asked...
Cal Coon is offline   Reply With Quote