Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Winni Wildlife
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-21-2010, 12:06 AM   #1
Argie's Wife

Default Bold raccoons....

It hasn't happened very often in the past, but the last week or so we've had raccoons in our trash almost every night. They are BIG and BOLD.

Argie put a big rock (like 20 lbs) on the lid of one of the trashcans - the raccoons moved it off and tipped the thing over to get the lid off it. They were chirping and chattering the whole time - happy as heck I guess...

I heard the racket and went out to chase the suckers off - they would not leave. There's two of them... they're not scared of people... I finally hit the panic button on my car's key fob and then they booked for the trees...

Anyhow....

Any deterrents we can use? We don't have a place to put garbage anymore (our carport was crushed back when the tornado hit Alton)... The rock on the lid of the trash can didn't slow 'em down...

Argie's Wife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 02:24 AM   #2
Greene's Basin Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argie's Wife View Post
It hasn't happened very often in the past, but the last week or so we've had raccoons in our trash almost every night. They are BIG and BOLD.

Argie put a big rock (like 20 lbs) on the lid of one of the trashcans - the raccoons moved it off and tipped the thing over to get the lid off it. They were chirping and chattering the whole time - happy as heck I guess...

I heard the racket and went out to chase the suckers off - they would not leave. There's two of them... they're not scared of people... I finally hit the panic button on my car's key fob and then they booked for the trees...

Anyhow....

Any deterrents we can use? We don't have a place to put garbage anymore (our carport was crushed back when the tornado hit Alton)... The rock on the lid of the trash can didn't slow 'em down...

Last night we had three young raccoons climb up to our deck on the second story of our house. We have a bird feeder up there, but they couldn't get at it. I turned the light on and opened the door. I greeted them and then they proceeded to climb down the pillar to the ground floor.
Greene's Basin Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 08:30 AM   #3
Mee-n-Mac

Arrow As bad as geese

How odd, we've had a racoon problem this year as well when we've not had one before. Both heavy items atop the barrel(s) and even bungie cords didn't deter the clever buggers. Right now any delectable trash goes in the shed but I'm thinking of some way to scare them off. I was going to rig up a passive IR detector (like a driveway light) to a sprinkler head and give 'em a blast of water. I thought this might also work as a duck/goose repeller but apparently (in that other thread) the geese get used to the water spray. Still I may try it anyway.

That or an M-80.
Old 07-21-2010, 11:11 AM   #4
donnamatrix

Default Racoons impacting loon population

According to Harry Vogel at the Loon Center, it is believed that the low number of loon chicks this year is directly related to the upswing in the racoon population. The racoons are robbing the nests of the eggs or chicks. The adults will fight as well as they can, but loons are clumsy and awkward on land, and not suited to duke it out with a four legged bandit like a racoon. Don't encourage the racoons.... try spreading powdered cayenne pepper over the garbage. Won't kill them, but they won't like it. Same trick for bears.
donnamatrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 02:40 PM   #5
Slickcraft

Thanked 1,999 Times in 913 Posts

Your may end up having to build or purchase a sold enclosure for the trash cans. Once they find a good "local restaurant" the word gets around and they are very determined.

I remember my father being determined to shoot them all and he had a collection of tails but others always showed up. My approach on a prior garden with sweet corn was a live trap and relocation. Many were relocated but others still found the corn. My current approach to the garden issue is an electric fence with lower strands for wood chucks and raccoons and an upper strand for the deer. But I suspect that your trash cans will have to be locked-up.

Last edited by Slickcraft; 07-21-2010 at 03:52 PM. Reason: typo
Slickcraft is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-21-2010, 03:10 PM   #6
Quilt Lady

Default Remember, boys and girls . . .

Raccoons carry Rabies and when provoked, can turn nasty in an instant. Whatever method you try to keep those cute devils out of your trash, make sure you only frustrate them and not provoke them. Do not make any physical contact with them. That goes for your dogs as well.

Be safe and let us all know what schemes you come up with. Raccoons are a common problem and we can all learn from your efforts.

(Doing my best to encourage Global Warming ... one quilt at a time!)
Quilt Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 06:45 PM   #7
ITD

I used ammonia, racoons were at my trash at the street, scaring them away worked until I left, then they were right back. So I poured ammonia on the cans, I'm sure they got a good whiff and never came back. YMMV
ITD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 09:26 PM   #8
Rattlesnake Guy

Our first year with raccoon issue on the island. After RG successfully caught the dog in the trap, she caught a very unhappy raccoon around 2AM on his return trip to the hummingbird feeder. At 7AM when we decided to deal with the repatriation to MeandMacs yard, we found that the critter had figured out how to escape from the trap. Still not sure how he reached around the door to open the spring loaded lever and door.
Rattlesnake Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 05:53 AM   #9
secondcurve

Quote:

Anyhow....

They are clever and tough to get rid of once they have figured out there is a free meal to be had. I'd invest in a shed if I were you. Good Luck.
secondcurve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 08:55 AM   #10
Argie's Wife

We can't get a shed (or it would be more $$$ than it's worth because we'd need variances to put it up - we've got water on 2 sides of our property.

The little suckers came back last night. Argie heard them and tried to chase them off - from a safe distance - but one took a whole bag of trash with him to munch on... I guess that's a raccoon's version of "to go"...

We're doing Operation Cayenne Pepper tonight for the little bandits.
Old 07-23-2010, 09:17 AM   #11
Slickcraft

Default How to Build a Trash Enclosure

If other options don't work, take a look here. Don't think this will be a zoning issue.

http://www.ronhazelton.com/archives/...enclosure.shtm
Old 07-23-2010, 09:25 AM   #12
NoBozo

Default Trash Shed

The usual shed used for trash cans need only be tall enough to house a couple of garbage cans. It would be made of wood (or metal) and have a pair of locking swinging doors on the front and a "lean to" roof. So this shed might only have a "footprint" two feet deep..or little more than the diameter of the trash can..and maybe five feet long would hold three 33 gallon galvanized trash cans.

I prefer a wooden shed because a metal shed gets really HOT inside and would make the garbage really Stink if the shed is in the sun.

Of course, raccoons would have an easier time chewing through wood than metal. The solution would be a wooden shed with some strategically deployed metal "flashing" where the raccoon might be able to get his teeth around corners and edges, etc.. I'm thinking the metal corner "lathe" that is used on outside corners in drywall finishing. All you have to do is THINK like a raccoon for a few minutes (An adult beverage optional) to decide where to put the flashing. NB

EDIT: There it is in the previous post.
NoBozo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 10:39 AM   #13
Argie's Wife

Default Hope they like spicy food!

I just got a huge can of cayenne pepper at Fiddleheads today for $2.99.

The oldest Arglet has been keeping score: Raccoons-4; Mom-1; Dad-0
Old 07-23-2010, 10:47 AM   #14
CEP

I had this problem and I was told to go to a lawn center or hardware store and ask for a Coyote Urine kit. It should come with 2 or 3 small bottles.
Place the urine in the bottles and set them about 10 feet apart.
They will go away! I didn't think it would work but it does.

Good Luck!

CEP
CEP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 01:18 PM   #15
Mee-n-Mac

Wink Not sure eh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattlesnake Guy View Post
Our first year with raccoon issue on the island. After RG successfully caught the dog in the trap, she caught a very unhappy raccoon around 2AM on his return trip to the hummingbird feeder. At 7AM when we decided to deal with the repatriation to MeandMacs yard, we found that the critter had figured out how to escape from the trap. Still not sure how he reached around the door to open the spring loaded lever and door.
Well to tell the truth what happened was the we heard via the URRN that our operative was busted. You see we made a deal with our trouble makers. Seems that for a little free food they'll go anywhere, do anything*. Well RG sure got lucky to catch him that night. In any case a moose and 2 other racoons were dispatched to your locale in the wee hours. After the moose swam them there, the 2 freed their masked brother and they all hitched a ride back.

*Has RG checked on her quilt ... lately ????

URRN - Underground Racoon Radio Network

Last edited by Mee-n-Mac; 07-23-2010 at 03:42 PM.
Mee-n-Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mee-n-Mac For This Useful Post:
Argie's Wife (07-24-2010), LIforrelaxin (07-29-2010), Rattlesnake Guy (07-23-2010)
Old 07-23-2010, 02:08 PM   #16
Slickcraft

Hey Meeko, ya kno dat new joint wid the ez open barrels? Well dey spiced up da leftovers, kicked em up a big notch. Maybe dat essence stuf.

Dat great news, dis bland garbage we always get es vry boring. Pass the woid, big hit tonite!
The Following User Says Thank You to Slickcraft For This Useful Post:
Argie's Wife (07-26-2010)
Old 07-23-2010, 05:30 PM   #17
SteveA
Deceased Member

Thanked 2,053 Times in 496 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mee-n-Mac View Post
URRN - Underground Raccoon Radio Network

Be very careful in dealing with this group. It's run by Rush Limbaugh's cousin Rocky...

Name:  raccoon-75-pounder-pet-deborah-klitsch-pic.jpg
Views: 1887
Size:  25.7 KB
Old 07-24-2010, 07:55 AM   #18
Argie's Wife

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slickcraft View Post
Hey Meeko, ya kno dat new joint wid the ez open barrels? Well dey spiced up da leftovers, kicked em up a big notch. Maybe dat essence stuf.

Dat great news, dis bland garbage we always get es vry boring. Pass the woid, big hit tonite!
Well... they didn't bother the trash last night. Looks like the cayenne pepper worked... or maybe they found other digs?
Old 07-26-2010, 03:26 PM   #19
Argie's Wife

Quote:
Well... they didn't bother the trash last night. Looks like the cayenne pepper worked... or maybe they found other digs?
It's been 3 days since we started Operation Cayenne Pepper... Yesterday morning, Argie found where the trash can lids had been removed but there were no ripped bags. He also says that the usually summertime stink you get with trash isn't present... Sounds like it keeps away all sorts of critters.
Old 07-29-2010, 02:39 PM   #20
CrawfordCentury

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slickcraft View Post
If other options don't work, take a look here. Don't think this will be a zoning issue.

http://www.ronhazelton.com/archives/...enclosure.shtm
That looks like something that could easily be modified to be built with pallets. The plumbing supply place off from the circle next to the legion usually has a free supply. Check in at the main office, and they'll prolly just direct you to where there at.

No coons out my way. Gotta skunk that got into the breezeway. My bad for not securing the latch on the door to the main barn. He still been skulking about looking for another snack. Almost tripped over him the other day!
Old 07-29-2010, 03:33 PM   #21
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

If the cayenne pepper should stop working.... or prove faulty .... I definitely recommend Ammonia as was previously mentioned... Pour some down the bottom of the trash cans every week so it is always there....