Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Winni Wildlife
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 05-29-2010, 05:16 PM   #1
Loony Singer

Default bear in the water!!

Well, it's about 6 PM on Saturday of Memorial Day Weekend. We just got back from our first boat ride of the year (in our good friends' boat). Very nice...quiet, very little chop, not many boats. There seemed to be a good number of loons out and about, which was encouraging.

Coming around the SE tip of Whortleberry Island, we saw what appeared to be another loon ahead. But as we got closer, it looked less and less like a loon. It was, in fact, a black bear, swimming along nicely. Quite a good sized one, too. We watched it til it landed on Whortleberry, where it clambered ashore and shook itself off like a (very, very large) dog

I'm not good at guessing weights, but I'm sure that it was well above my weight class...maybe 250 lbs. Amazing. Never seen anything like this before. For those who live on Whortleberry, you might want to keep your garbage cans inside tonight!!
Loony Singer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 06:20 PM   #2
Slickcraft

Thanked 2,000 Times in 914 Posts

Those guys can smell a burger cooking from miles away. What's a little swim when a feast is at hand!
Slickcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 09:19 AM   #3
MikeF-NH

I was fishing the tip of Whorteberry with my boys when a boat cruised up to us and asked if we had seen the bear...was that you? We were looking for it after that but didn't see it (not surprised...bears don't like to be seen). I'm sure once she got to the island, she found some nice thick safe cover to hide in under "dinner time".

We did talk to a property owner about 1/4 mile down the shore line who asked if we had seen the bear also and said she came over with a cub. Pretty cool...we would have love to have seen it. It must have come to shore right before we got there or swam in behind me when I was setting up the boys fishing rods and I didn't see it.
MikeF-NH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 12:45 PM   #4
ITD

"bear in the water!!"

Gotta watch that skinny dipping Loony...... especially when the water is cold.
ITD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 12:54 AM   #5
Loony Singer

Default second sighting

Mike F-NH,

Yup, that was probably me yelling to you over by Whortleberry. Didn't want you or your kids to drop your rods in the water if the bear strolled by...he made land pretty close to where you were.

On Monday while we were lazing on our dock, a boat cruised by and called out to us. Seems he had just seen a bear crossing from Whortleberry to Nine Acre. So he (or she) was still in the area and on the move. I think the bear will be a lot happier and find more food when he finds his way back to the mainland.
Sponsored Links
Old 06-02-2010, 07:08 AM   #6
Lake Fan

The bear spent his Memorial Day weekend with us on Whortleberry. We spotted him several times just ambling around. In the attached photo he's taking a nap in a tree by the water. He was up there for a few hours. It was pretty amazing having him around.
Attached Images

Lake Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Lake Fan For This Useful Post:
chipj29 (06-02-2010), Grant (06-07-2010), Rattlesnake Gal (06-09-2010), Ryan (06-10-2010)
Old 06-02-2010, 12:37 PM   #7
MikeF-NH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loony Singer View Post
Mike F-NH,

Yup, that was probably me yelling to you over by Whortleberry. Didn't want you or your kids to drop your rods in the water if the bear strolled by...he made land pretty close to where you were.

On Monday while we were lazing on our dock, a boat cruised by and called out to us. Seems he had just seen a bear crossing from Whortleberry to Nine Acre. So he (or she) was still in the area and on the move. I think the bear will be a lot happier and find more food when he finds his way back to the mainland.
Thats awesome! Thanks for the warning...we would have loved to have seen him. I was there about 5 minutes before you yelled to us and we spending that time preparing the kids rods...I'm wondering if the bear swam right behind me as I was doing this...lol
MikeF-NH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 10:44 AM   #8
Loony Singer

Default up[date on bear

Last weekend, we got a call from our next door neighbor. Her bird feeder, which is right outside her kitchen window, had been bent over to the ground and completely emptied...not a sunflower seed left!

So it appears our furry black pal has now made his way to the mainland (Moultonboro Neck), which is probably a good thing. The impressive thing is that the feeder was inside a pretty tall fence. He evidently scaled a tree to drop into her yard, and another one to get back out.
Old 06-09-2010, 12:58 PM   #9
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

Quote:
Last weekend, we got a call from our next door neighbor. Her bird feeder, which is right outside her kitchen window, had been bent over to the ground and completely emptied...not a sunflower seed left!

So it appears our furry black pal has now made his way to the mainland (Moultonboro Neck), which is probably a good thing. The impressive thing is that the feeder was inside a pretty tall fence. He evidently scaled a tree to drop into her yard, and another one to get back out.
Bears are capable of quite a bit if they smell or see something that will feed there huger pains. They are also creatures of habits. My suggesting to your neighbor is to leave the bird feeder empty..... To the people on the islands in that area.... don't leave anything around for him to much on, unless you want him to be a frequent visitor to the islands.

Last but not least if this guy really becomes a problem for anyone, please call Fish and Game.... They have the equipment and expertise to deal with this guy and move him far enough away so that he will not return.
Old 06-13-2010, 09:21 AM   #10
Loony Singer

Default does a bear s**t in the woods??

Well, not always. Sometimes, he does it on our dock. Here's a shot of the "present" we found waiting for us on Friday. We haven't actually seen this guy since our first encounter, but he really can't get any closer to us unless he joins us at the dinner table.

One thing I'm wondering. On nice days, we often have lunch on the dock. Supposing we're out there, the bear smells something inviting and ambles down the path to the dock. Now the bear is between us and safety, and we may have something of interest to him. My wife suggests throwing lunch in his general direction and jumping in the lake...
Attached Images

Old 06-14-2010, 11:28 AM   #11
donnamatrix

Default Get a "horn in a can"

We have bears in the yard, walking up the driveway, on the front porch-whatever, we live in the woods. The bears are pretty cool. One thing we have on the porch is the "horn in a can" -an airhorn - we keep one on the boat in case our electricity kills our boat horn and the whistle isn't loud enough. But, we've had a bear investigate our grill and try to open it, so when cooking outside, the airhorn is nearby to spook them away. It makes an ear-splitting noise and the bear goes off in the other direction. I think if you are making noise on the dock, or have music playing, or otherwise making human-type noises, the bear won't come to investigate.
donnamatrix is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to donnamatrix For This Useful Post:
Loony Singer (06-14-2010)
Old 06-15-2010, 01:25 PM   #12
SIKSUKR

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnamatrix View Post
One thing we have on the porch is the "horn in a can" -an airhorn - we keep one on the boat in case our electricity kills our boat horn and the whistle isn't loud enough.
My neighbors keep a can of air handy also to keep me away when they barbecue.I'm smarter than the average bear and have purchased a hearing protection headset and can now enjoy those great ribeyes without running off in the woods!And I can't hear them talk about me either.
Old 06-16-2010, 08:45 AM   #13
Peter

We were over at our cottage on Whortleberry Island putting in the water on Memorial Day. We didn't come across any sign of the bear. Always wondered if any animals would like the fat can sitting under our grill on the deck?
Peter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 06:04 PM   #14
Loony Singer

Default yup

I think pretty much any mammal that (a) likes meat, and (b) has a good nose might find your fat can. There's a lady who rents a place for a week each summer in our neighborhood. She has two labs...one very well behaved, the other not so much. The latter discovered the fat can under our grill (on our deck, like yours), and made something of a mess. Now, whenever this renter arrives, the dog makes a beeline for our fat can. He may be ill-mannered, but he's got a good memory.
Old 06-18-2010, 08:13 AM   #15
SIKSUKR

Quote:
I think pretty much any mammal that (a) likes meat, and (b) has a good nose might find your fat can.
We have rules on the forum about making personal attacks on other members.
Old 07-06-2010, 11:48 AM   #16
ApS

Smile Swimming Buddy...

Quote:
"...Coming around the SE tip of Whortleberry Island, we saw what appeared to be another loon ahead. But as we got closer, it looked less and less like a loon. It was, in fact, a black bear, swimming along nicely. Quite a good sized one, too. We watched it til it landed on Whortleberry, where it clambered ashore and shook itself off like a (very, very large) dog..."
Nonetheless, black bears should always have a "swimming 'buddy'", just like many of us had at summer camp.
Attached Images

Last edited by ApS; 07-14-2010 at 03:31 AM. Reason: Adding: This is a tranquilized bear, "escaping" into a lake and rescued from a possible drowning.
ApS is offline   Reply With Quote