Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-16-2020, 09:56 AM   #1
WeFourSki

Default Moultonboro Internet Provider?

Fed up with Spectrum. Are they my only choice in Moultonboro? Only need internet. Ditched TV and phone already.

Tks
WeFourSki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020, 09:58 AM   #2
phoenix

satellite thru direct tv or thru your phone company if they have laid the wires past your house
WeFourSki (05-16-2020)
Old 05-16-2020, 10:42 AM   #3
Lakegeezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeFourSki View Post
Fed up with Spectrum. Are they my only choice in Moultonboro? Only need internet. Ditched TV and phone already.

Tks
Curious about why Spectrum has you fed up. I've got Spectrum internet and while the subscribed rate is 100/10 Mbps, I frequently get 120/11. There are occasional service fades, but not that often and not for long. The price could be cheaper, but with DSL, the speed is typically 90% slower. If you are a power user at all, you really don't have a choice but to go with Spectrum.
Old 05-16-2020, 10:52 AM   #4
phoenix

by the way there are a few satellite internet providers. so if you go that way check them all. Everyone wants new customers. I went with spectrum just before DSL came down my road. I have had no problem and given i am seasonal they will shut off in the winter.
Old 05-16-2020, 11:10 AM   #5
Newbiesaukee

We also have Spectrum, internet and cable. Of course, they do try to up charge you, but the service has been quite good and they have fixed problems, including home visits quickly.

"You're only young once, but you can be immature forever."
Newbiesaukee is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-16-2020, 01:53 PM   #6
TheProfessor

There are certainly other ways to get internet as stated above.
Some use their cell phone data/connection.

The towns mostly choose one cable provider. In my town it is a 15 year contract (I think). And in my town - still not 100% coverage. Even after renewing time and again.

I have cable internet only. TV and phone are not cable company. I do constantly get mailings stating $44.95 for all three. But after reading the fine print - it's not that inexpensive.

Good Luck. And do share what you end up with.
TheProfessor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 03:10 AM   #7
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,959 Times in 1,210 Posts

I can't bring myself to have WiFi at camp, so we use mobile access exclusively. For web access, virtual meetings, etc. it works fine, though peak hours (mid-day and early evening weekends) it can slow down a bit.

Though we have the cheapest possible plan—prepaid AT&T—I'm still not sure I'd use it for television as that must eat up data and even the "unlimited" is still usually capped at 20GB.

I'd be interested to know if anyone uses their phone hotspot for streaming video.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 08:06 AM   #8
bobkatfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkxingu View Post
I can't bring myself to have WiFi at camp, so we use mobile access exclusively. For web access, virtual meetings, etc. it works fine, though peak hours (mid-day and early evening weekends) it can slow down a bit.

Though we have the cheapest possible plan—prepaid AT&T—I'm still not sure I'd use it for television as that must eat up data and even the "unlimited" is still usually capped at 20GB.

I'd be interested to know if anyone uses their phone hotspot for streaming video.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
Where I am in Tuftonboro there isn't any high speed internet (cable) available. It's all around me but being the only home on top of a hill they won't bring it up. I've talked to various suppliers over the years but they won't do it.
I have direct TV and satellite access is available, Hughes Net or some other, but I haven't heard good things about it considering what it costs.
DSL isn't available to me either.
So, I use my ATT unlimited plan cell signal through a hot spot. I have 2 lines each with 15 GB hot spot for a total of 30. Even with this, streaming video along with our regular everyday use would eat that in a month. We tried it early on and after my wife watched some episodes of her favorite shows, I could see it wasn't going to work. Sometimes we do it or just cast the video from phone to tv using just the data plan without hotspot. Quality suffers a little bit but she gets by with it.
Have to keep an eye on usage and sometimes have to back down towards end of billing cycle.

Amherst till the big 66 comes (made it!)
Winter Harbor/Mirror Lake till the big guy comes
bobkatfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 12:27 PM   #9
Lakegeezer

Default Extend the cable....

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobkatfly View Post
Where I am in Tuftonboro there isn't any high speed internet (cable) available. It's all around me but being the only home on top of a hill they won't bring it up. I've talked to various suppliers over the years but they won't do it.
Bob, if you can find a friendly neighbor with cable and within line-of-sight, you can get a business line, billed directly to you, connected to their tap. Then you radio the bandwidth to your place. The cost of the radios depends on how far and how fast. Look at the Ubiquiti AirMax CPE line. I've used the Lightbeam AC/Gen2 ($120/pair) and got 180 megabits/second throughput over 1/4 mile. They can do 400 Mbps or 3 miles, but not both.
Old 05-18-2020, 07:32 AM   #10
WeFourSki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakegeezer View Post
Curious about why Spectrum has you fed up. I've got Spectrum internet and while the subscribed rate is 100/10 Mbps, I frequently get 120/11. There are occasional service fades, but not that often and not for long. The price could be cheaper, but with DSL, the speed is typically 90% slower. If you are a power user at all, you really don't have a choice but to go with Spectrum.
The reason I'd like to switch is a long story I'd rather not get into. It's too bad there's really no competition in this industry. Most communities have only one internet provider they've contracted with, which doesn't encourage aggressive pricing or customer service.
WeFourSki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 08:32 AM   #11
Lakegeezer

Default Internet is not regulated

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeFourSki View Post
The reason I'd like to switch is a long story I'd rather not get into. It's too bad there's really no competition in this industry. Most communities have only one internet provider they've contracted with, which doesn't encourage aggressive pricing or customer service.
The towns do not contract with an internet provider. There is a franchise for cable TV and that cable plant happens to support internet. The phone company is similar in that there is typically only one phone company in town and it happens to support internet. Internet is unregulated. Other vendors are welcome to come to town, but they need to either rent space on the telephone poles or deploy antennas for fixed wireless works. It is an open market but hard to compete with the incumbent vendors that invested in TV or phone and fell into the internet market. So far, its the sound of crickets. The cellular vendors aren't competitive because of data caps. There is a project in place at the Carroll County level to invite fiber companies to bid on deploying in places that aren't well served today, but that is years out if it happens at all. The incumbents aren't going to lose market share willingly. Maybe Musk's Starlink will be a viable alternative some day.
Old 05-19-2020, 03:34 PM   #12
TheProfessor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakegeezer View Post
The towns do not contract with an internet provider.
Correct. By all seems to be a symbiotic relationship.

Not privy to any negotiations.

Have read that some towns in the initial installation of wires - the town/city ended up owning the wires. In that case - the city/town can get some competition.
TheProfessor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 06:44 PM   #13
mishman

Default Fed up with broadband costs vote in NHEC election

Three candidates for the New England Electric Coop board, if elected, will help move our electric utility forward in providing an alternate to Spectrum and other monopoly internet providers.
Please vote for Dwyer, Portu, Darcy for the NHEC board. For more info see
NHBroadband.com
mishman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mishman For This Useful Post:
WeFourSki (06-01-2020)