Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Restaurant Information & Reviews
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-09-2020, 06:59 PM   #1
Sue Doe-Nym

Default How are our local restaurants faring?

We are just wondering how the local restaurants providing takeout service are doing during this terrible crisis? We hope they’re able to hang on until the situation improves. Down here in Florida, where hospitality is the big thing, especially during the winter months, it’s looking pretty grim. We hope that many of those being affected will be able to return to some degree of normalcy. 🤞
Sue Doe-Nym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 08:11 PM   #2
fatlazyless

Thumbs up ........ two for $5.45

Stopping at the Meredith McDonald's take out window this afternoon was no problem because the Route 3 bridge closing over the Weirs channel has been postponed. Traffic was very light, and I was able to cruise right into the #2 spot, fast, at the take out window.

For $5.45, tax included, I got two yummy filet-o-fish sandwiches made with real Alaska pollock, caught in the Barrow Sea and frozen to lock in their yummy Alaska pollock flavor which tastes a whole lot better than anything ever caught in Lake Winnipesaukee.
Old 04-09-2020, 10:32 PM   #3
Hillcountry

They are struggling here as they are there. Not being able to seat patrons and rely on take out to survive is proving difficult for everyone. All our local breakfast places are closed (tough to have breakfast take-out) some of the restaurants are fully closed for the duration.
The Tilt’n Diner, usually open and busy in the morning, was silent as my wife and I drove by yesterday to shop and run an errand. There are signs in windows that read “WE ARE OPEN” (for take-out) but there were no customers at that time.
Most are doing lunch and dinner only (that I know of)
I had heard the Route 93 rest areas were closed for food but open for gas and liquor. ( haven’t verified this, only heard it)
Tough times for the small businesses...
Hillcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hillcountry For This Useful Post:
beantownbaby (05-07-2020)
Old 04-10-2020, 05:13 AM   #4
fatlazyless

Arrow ..... gimme that fish!

The take-out window at the Meredith McDonald's seems like it is doing the same amount of business as always, maybe a little more. It now has new plexiglass petitions within the two window, transaction areas for personnel protection.
Old 04-10-2020, 06:55 AM   #5
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,625 Times in 561 Posts

Everyone I talk to in the business is hurting pretty badly but I think most will survive if we can get open by early May.
Restaurants have more overhead than other small business.
Even a medium sized restaurant will have nearly $2,000 monthly in utilities and many other services are on contract and paid monthly and many lease equipment.
Thankfully,we are doing 30 to 90 Take out dinners depending on the night which is a huge help but certainly not paying the bills.
Been doing sunday breakfast also but it's really not taken off.We're trying ,but breakfast doesn't seem to be a favorite for take out
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-10-2020, 07:03 AM   #6
tis

Thanked 1,375 Times in 951 Posts

My heart goes out to you Sam and all the other restaurants that are struggling.
tis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 07:53 AM   #7
Biggd

Thanked 1,068 Times in 673 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post
The take-out window at the Meredith McDonald's seems like it is doing the same amount of business as always, maybe a little more. It now has new plexiglass petitions within the two window, transaction areas for personnel protection.
You're building up your immune system eating at McDonald's every day. If you can survive that, you can survive anything.
Biggd is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Biggd For This Useful Post:
rander7823 (04-14-2020)
Old 04-10-2020, 08:38 AM   #8
Bigstan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillcountry View Post
They are struggling here as they are there. Not being able to seat patrons and rely on take out to survive is proving difficult for everyone. All our local breakfast places are closed (tough to have breakfast take-out) some of the restaurants are fully closed for the duration.
The Tilt’n Diner, usually open and busy in the morning, was silent as my wife and I drove by yesterday to shop and run an errand. There are signs in windows that read “WE ARE OPEN” (for take-out) but there were no customers at that time.
Most are doing lunch and dinner only (that I know of)
I had heard the Route 93 rest areas were closed for food but open for gas and liquor. ( haven’t verified this, only heard it)
Tough times for the small businesses...
I thought the same thing re: breakfast takeout until we got it from Water St.
It was great, I didn't think breakfast translated to takeout but they pulled it off.

There are huge signs at the Hookset plazas saying 'we are open'. But there are never more than a small handful of cars in the lot...
Bigstan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 06:03 AM   #9
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,959 Times in 1,210 Posts

Any updates on closings (for good) or reopenings? I've seen Hart's, Canoe, Town Docks, and Bob House have outdoor eating, but anyone else?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 07:51 AM   #10
Little Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkxingu View Post
Any updates on closings (for good) or reopenings? I've seen Hart's, Canoe, Town Docks, and Bob House have outdoor eating, but anyone else?

I’ve been wondering about the Lodge at Smith Point in West Alton. They haven’t been open since March, and there’s been no signs of life or updates on their website. It’s a great place, so I hope they come back.
Little Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 08:10 AM   #11
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default My guess is...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Bear View Post
I’ve been wondering about the Lodge at Smith Point in West Alton. They haven’t been open since March, and there’s been no signs of life or updates on their website. It’s a great place, so I hope they come back.
My guess is that they have been waiting for the opening of indoor dining. I've not been inside since the Lodge opened, so I'm unsure of how much moving of tables will be required to accomplish the 6 ft buffer between seating areas.

Dave
Old 06-06-2020, 08:32 AM   #12
Descant

Thanked 1,498 Times in 975 Posts
Default Soon

Quote:
Originally Posted by upthesaukee View Post
My guess is that they have been waiting for the opening of indoor dining. I've not been inside since the Lodge opened, so I'm unsure of how much moving of tables will be required to accomplish the 6 ft buffer between seating areas.

Dave
It won'tr be long now. Good space inside, good food and service. Like most places with a bar, that's harder to space out. If you have a dozen seats, cutting down to six, still doesn't leave much separation. I guess I can sit 2-3 feet away from my wife at a table, but can't sit next to her at a bar? Harder for the bartender to stay away, too.
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Descant For This Useful Post:
Hillcountry (06-06-2020), upthesaukee (06-06-2020)
Old 06-06-2020, 11:23 AM   #13
upthesaukee

Default Us too

Quote:
Originally Posted by Descant View Post
It won'tr be long now. Good space inside, good food and service. Like most places with a bar, that's harder to space out. If you have a dozen seats, cutting down to six, still doesn't leave much separation. I guess I can sit 2-3 feet away from my wife at a table, but can't sit next to her at a bar? Harder for the bartender to stay away, too.
We have come to enjoy sitting at a nice bar, having a Manhattan, Old Fashioned, Martini, etc (or two), coupled with an appetizer or two. Probably spend the same amount of time, just slower paced. We'll have to wait until we see how they handle bar seating.

Dave
Biggd (06-06-2020)
Old 06-06-2020, 08:06 PM   #14
upthesaukee

Default From FB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Bear View Post
From the Lodge at Smith Point FB page today.

Quote:
Well folks, the day we've been hoping for is 9 days away. RE-OPENING BABY! Mark, Jason, Chef Joshua will be meeting tomorrow to create and begin execution our Grand Re-Opening Plan, re-assembling the Team that made the Lodge such an inviting and fun place to be. We'll announce plans as they come together, but 15 June is the day! Stay tuned!!!
Dave
thinkxingu (06-06-2020)
Old 06-07-2020, 04:31 AM   #15
Little Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by upthesaukee View Post
From the Lodge at Smith Point FB page today.

Quote:
Well folks, the day we've been hoping for is 9 days away. RE-OPENING BABY! Mark, Jason, Chef Joshua will be meeting tomorrow to create and begin execution our Grand Re-Opening Plan, re-assembling the Team that made the Lodge such an inviting and fun place to be. We'll announce plans as they come together, but 15 June is the day! Stay tuned!!!
Dave
That’s great news! Thank you
Little Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 06:45 AM   #16
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,625 Times in 561 Posts

Everyone in the business that I talked to expected to reopen with 50% seating to last well into the summer season. Very surprised that the governor is allowing 100% but social spacing will probably leave us with 60% or so. Better than nothing.
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SAMIAM For This Useful Post:
farechofisherman (06-07-2020), joey2665 (06-07-2020)
Old 06-07-2020, 08:36 AM   #17
baygo

I’m glad the governor has lifted restrictions on restaurants however skeptical about how long this will last. In order to re-open I will have to make a significant investment in reassembling and training a team. I would also have to restock shelves. I am not comfortable making that investment at this time. Theoretically there should be a tremendous spike in a couple of weeks due to all the protests and riots around the country. Therefore it would not surprise me if restaurants are shut back down in three weeks. If that’s the case everything invested to get opened up now would be lost.

Another obstacle I face is that my tavern kitchen staff is having so much fun operating trolley 27 and our beer garden that they don’t have any interest in going back inside.

To sum it all up; Tavern 27 will remain dormant until I recognize signs of a more stable scenario..
baygo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to baygo For This Useful Post:
joey2665 (06-07-2020)
Old 06-07-2020, 10:17 AM   #18
WinnisquamZ

Lacking the knowledge of running a restaurant I can’t commit on your position. I will say I find it’s sad you have to take this path.
So if I read correctly the Trolley will remain open and so will the beer garden?

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
WinnisquamZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 12:29 PM   #19
baygo

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinnisquamZ View Post
Lacking the knowledge of running a restaurant I can’t commit on your position. I will say I find it’s sad you have to take this path.
So if I read correctly the Trolley will remain open and so will the beer garden?

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
Thank you for your concerns, but no need to be sad. I love the game of golf because it’s such a difficult game that when the good shot is hit it provides an amazing sense of reward. This chapter of my life is exciting because it is perhaps the most challenging, however that means that when I come out of it hitting a shot, that will provide me with a tremendous sense of reward.

You are correct in assuming that the trolley will remain open as well as the beer garden. They’re both doing amazingly well, which puts a smile on my face.

Last edited by baygo; 06-07-2020 at 01:08 PM.
Old 06-07-2020, 03:09 PM   #20
map

Even with the lifting of some restrictions they are having a hard time getting staff because people are making much more on unemployment + the extra $600 per week than they would be working.

Last year things were tough with getting help so imagine now.
map is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to map For This Useful Post:
MBNeckguy (06-07-2020)
Old 06-07-2020, 04:12 PM   #21
radioman

Default How are Restaurants faring

Baygo, what are the hours of operation and assume service is in the back??
radioman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 04:40 PM   #22
Biggd

Thanked 1,068 Times in 673 Posts

This is a very challenging time for restaurants, esp in resort area's, where they have a short season to make money. The strong will make it and the ones that don't will give way to new business minded start ups. It's sad to see hard working businesses close but that is just the way it is.

Biggd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 06:20 PM   #23
FlyingScot

Hey Baygo,

Until now you've been too modest to post the name of your restaurant, so I just looked you up on Facebook. I love the highbrow food paired with the bikers photo. It's a great way of saying the lake should be for all. I'm on the other side of the lake, but will stop in the next time I'm in Laconia. Cheers!
FlyingScot is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FlyingScot For This Useful Post:
baygo (06-07-2020)
Old 06-07-2020, 07:14 PM   #24
baygo

Quote:
Originally Posted by radioman View Post
Baygo, what are the hours of operation and assume service is in the back??
Yes service is in the back under the old carriage house.
Monday and Tuesday 8AM to 3PMish Thursday thru Sunday 8AM to 8PM. Very relax environment.
The Following User Says Thank You to baygo For This Useful Post:
Biggd (06-08-2020)