Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Restaurant Information & Reviews
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-07-2008, 09:10 PM   #1
vmartino26

Default Dinner at the Lobster Pound

My wife and I had dinner at the LP Thursday night. It was an experience, to say the least. We arrived at 7:45. Were seated at 8:00 p.m. That began a comedy of errors. The drink order was taken promptly, and everything fell apart after that. Atfter our waitress returned with the drinks, she took our order. I had the lobster roll dinner and my wife had the scallop dinner. About a half hour later (yes a half hour) salads arrived at the table. I don't know whether they came with the meal or not. We figured what the heck. After that, another forty-five minutes goes by (yes forty-five minutes) and a waitress from another table brings us some cornbread and rolls. Another twenty or thirty minutes goes by -- my wife and I get up to leave because we've had it, and our dinner miraculously appears! We boxed things up because we were pretty tired of the whole place. One of the owners did apologize profusely, told us dinner was "on the house" and he'd take care of us the next time we came to the restaurant. That probably won't be happening again. When we got back, it was finally time for dinner at 10:00 p.m. The lobster roll was actually okay, but the scallops were dreadful. Two at the most. They were actualy sliced into halves! They're going to make a lot of money there because of the size of the bar, but they have a long long way to go regarding the food. They were trying to blame most of it on the cook, but there were enough things wrong to spread the blame around pretty evenly. The waitress appeared lost. People were waiting for food for long periods of time. A man at another table told us it was his first visit and it would be his last visit. Kind of a sad experience all around. Hopefully things will improve, because they couldn't sink much lower. Hope those of you out there who've either been or are considering going have a better experience than we did.
vmartino26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 10:12 PM   #2
This'nThat

The Lobster Pound used to be one of our favorites for years. We noticed it going downhill three years ago. Our last meal there was last year -- and we vowed never to return. Too bad, because it used to be good food at a moderate price. Now it's worse than dogfood served in prison.
This'nThat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 10:50 PM   #3
michael c

Default New Lobster pound

While I understand your frustrations with how long it took and the food good/bad..
The only point I will make is that ,unless you own a restaurant [ not worked at one or have a brother who works at a restaurant ] you could not begin to believe how complex it is...
It is very important that we don't pass judgement on this place for at the VERY LEAST 2 months.
They opened with a limited menu ,which says " we want to be open but we are not quite ready ,but we will open in a limited capacity now and please give us a little time and we will work out all the kinks in our new place.
It is my guess that these new people probably have about 3.5mil invested here and they deserve a little break here .
Restaurants are a lot like a new car . If you buy a new car and when it went through assemly line ,EVEREYONE did their very best ,,their best work ever and the car went out of the building 99.9 percent perfect, your new car will still have 13 things wrong with it.. That is how many parts there are in todays cars and restaurants are quite similar ,believe me .
I will wait until july 4th and try them a week later ....by then the kinks will be mostly worked out .
I went passed them last nite,Friday nite around 9:00 and there were at least 75 cars there. Again ,tonight at 9:45 at least 100 cars. Your right , they will make a lot on the booze and because of the location ...these people have deep pockets and there is no way that they will acceppt anything less than 100 % from their employees ,,lets give them some time ,K?
Old 06-07-2008, 11:55 PM   #4
Irish mist

I'm sorry you had a bad time there....but God, give it a month or two. They just opened up on a limited basis. They seemed to do everything possible to address your concerns. I don't get the rage ?

Last edited by Irish mist; 02-27-2011 at 10:17 PM.
Irish mist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 07:40 AM   #5
EricP

Quote:
Originally Posted by This'nThat View Post
The Lobster Pound used to be one of our favorites for years. We noticed it going downhill three years ago. Our last meal there was last year -- and we vowed never to return. Too bad, because it used to be good food at a moderate price. Now it's worse than dogfood served in prison.
I have exactly the opposite opinion of the old place. My wife and I went there for the first time last year and we've been living in and visiting the area for 15 years, and had never been before. We had a very good meal, service was great and I loved the idea of waiting under the canopy at the picninc tables because they had that little bar window
EricP is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-08-2008, 07:45 AM   #6
EricP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish mist View Post
I'm sorry you had a bad time there....but God, give it a month or two. They just opened up on a limited basis. They seemed to do everything possible to address your concerns. I don't get the rage ?
I agree, the new owners may have 3.5 mil into this project, but I'm sure the kids working the tables don't. Their vested interest is just a paycheck and sadly they're the front line and that is always a double edged sword. They "represent" the business and they have the least to gain or lose. It takes a long time to learn how to waitress/wait and so I think the dining experience will take a bit to perc. I wish them a lot of success, the building is beautiful and it's nice to see someone investing in the area to improve the landscape.
Old 06-08-2008, 08:32 AM   #7
Pricestavern

Default Won't Return Either

My wife and I went there last summer and ordered crab legs. What we recieved were various broken crab leg pieces and not many of them. Entirely disappointing.

Unless we hear from numerous sources that this place has turned around, we won't be going back.
Pricestavern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 09:22 AM   #8
Liquorish

Default Gotta Give it a chance

To even compare this restaurant with the " old " Lobster pound is unfair. New owners deserve a fair chance. Not having eaten there yet you really have to give some time to work out the kinks. Yes these people have lots of money invested, the area certainly needs new blood. Let's all give them a chance, I can't wait to try it a little later in the summer.
Liquorish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 11:57 AM   #9
Irish mist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pricestavern View Post
My wife and I went there last summer and ordered crab legs. What we recieved were various broken crab leg pieces and not many of them. Entirely disappointing.

Unless we hear from numerous sources that this place has turned around, we won't be going back.
You went last year under the old mangement. it's new people & a new building now.

Last edited by Irish mist; 02-27-2011 at 10:17 PM.
Old 06-08-2008, 12:03 PM   #10
brk-lnt

OK, you should give them a chance. But nobody forced them to put out the "Open" sign. If they say they're open and are willing to take peoples money, then I think it's reasonable to expect that you will at least get a halfway decent dining experience with a good portion of food.

Sure, the restaurant business may be hard, many of us here likely work at jobs or in industries that are "hard" or "unforgiving". Still, our customers expect to get a good product and service for their money. If you can't hack it, find a different profession.
brk-lnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 01:38 PM   #11
sa meredith

Default my two cents...

Before stating my opinion on this subject, I want to say that I docked at the Weirs last week, and took a walk up just to check the place out. And I must say, I am looking forward to many a beer out on one of their two decks (looked like two levels, anyway). Certainly looks like it will be a great place to hang for a couple hours, and I'm sure it will be at capacity plus plus during motorcycle week. That being said...
I am closely connected to the restaurant business, and, in fact this restaurant recently opened a location in the lakes region. What they did to minimize the "kinks" (and this may be standard in the industry, I'm not sure) was this...they had two "mock" openings. All managers, owners, and certain employees were encouraged to invite up to 6 people at a ceratin time to come to a soft opening....the only thing different between the real opening and the soft opening was at the soft opening, noone got a bill...everything was comped. Free. Even booze. (which would violate state laws, so a tab was actually run for all drinks, the the head C.E.O. payed at the end of the night). The goal was to have a full house, with a full staff, on two separate occasions. It was explained to me, that, although it is very costly, the fact that you only get one shot at a first impression is the only thing that matters. So, when they opened to the public they were well prepared (and, of course brought some experienced help in from other locations). It would seem to me, that in a location where you have to make the bulk of your income in a three to four month span, your margin of error is tiny. Let's face it..the Lobster Trap's location will keep it busy all summer all by itself. But in less than peak times, they will need to have a reputation of a place that is worth the drive.
I feel for them, as a certain number of kinks in normal, but you really should be well prepared for an on slaught of customers at that location if you open in the summer time. And that, actually, was another point I just remembered about the other restarant I spoke of...they were certain to be open by late winter/very early spring, so when the crowds arrived, all employees knew their roll, and played it well.
I'm sure things will get better for The Lobster Pound, and look forward to going there myself...hopefully they will not disappoint too many people before things are running smoothly.
sa meredith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 06:13 PM   #12
jetskier

Default We will give it a shot, but...

I clearly understand that a new undertaking might involve a little debugging, however, it should be pointed out that this is an unforgiving economy and this type of restaurant relies on a very discretionary expenditure. In addition, the market appears quite seasonal. So, my sense is that they better sort things out quick; there are still a number of restaurant choices in the area. I would love to see a quality lobster restaurant at the Weirs rather than having to hoof down to Sandy Point when the urge presents. So, we will give it a shot, but hopefully we hear some positive postings in the future.

Jetskier
jetskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 06:38 PM   #13
moose tracks

Location: Loudon, Tennessee, foothills of the Great Smoky Mountains
Default Drink Prices

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa meredith View Post
...I am looking forward to many a beer out on one of their two decks (looked like two levels, anyway). Certainly looks like it will be a great place to hang for a couple hours,
I agree that the Lobster Pound needs to be given a limited amount of time to get the "kinks" out. We will certainly give them a try this season. In fact, we stopped by on Friday and picked up their menu in anticipation of our visit.

The wine by the glass prices took me my surprise though with prices in the $9-$15 dollar a glass range. Beer is priced $3.50.
Old 06-08-2008, 07:09 PM   #14
hazelnut

Lets give them a chance.

The reality is I am hoping and PRAYING that these people succeed. Weirs needs this place and as a long timer I really wish them success. I will most definitely visiting this place over the summer even after reading this negative post. Please don't get me wrong, I sincerely appreciate the post and information from vmartino and I think we should all feel the same. It sets a level of expectation that we can all use to our advantage when visiting this establishment. If we feel things are going "wrong" we can use the info here to nip it in the bud hopefully. Anyway, I applaud the owners for the renovations to the property and I hope the work out the kinks this summer. We all have a limited resource of restaurants to visit by boat and I was hoping this could be a new choice.

Good Luck to the owners and I hope they are smart enough to read this forum!
hazelnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 07:20 PM   #15
rick35

Default Won't be back

A friend was visiting and I thought it would be a good time to try out the Lobster Pound. We were told when we entered that it would be a 30 minute wait. That's not unreasonable so we waited inside the door for our table. After about 15 minutes I noticed that four nearby tables were open so I asked the hostess about it. She told me that the were not seating people as the kitchen was running behind. About 10 minutes later she called our name and the other hostess came over to say the kitchen was an hour behind. They were going to seat us and drag us on for an hour. Luckily for us the hostess was honest about it and we chose to find somewhere else to eat. While I understand that it takes time to get a restaurant running the season is not that long and you better not take two months to get it right. There are too many restaurants looking for your business. We won't be back this year. Maybe if the forum feedback improves we'll try them next year.

Rick
rick35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 10:42 PM   #16
mets3007

Default Not surprised

Not shocked 1 bit I remember eatting at Nadia's ( same chef) and the kitchen was always slow on busy days and same thing tables empty that were not used because they were falling behind. Its been an issue before and its an issue again hmmm not blaming the chef some the evidence shows something towards that the issue could be the kitchen and the same person who ran Nadia's kitchen is in charge hmmmmm.
mets3007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 05:14 AM   #17
idigtractors

My wife and I went on Saturday the 7th around the 7ish hour. From the time we went through the door things went down. I'm not going through it all as most everything has been mentioned in previous threads. All I have to say, they will not see us again and I can't see how they will make it. Oh, bye the way we did get up and leave as the food was about to arrive.
idigtractors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 10:23 AM   #18
Shore Driver

This is disappointing, but not surprising....they clearly have some kinks to work out. I will not ruin things for myself by going there in there in the first month, since I have high expectation and wish them to succeed.

Bike Week is going to be a real problem by the sounds of it.
Shore Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 11:00 AM   #19
dpg

If someones foolish enough to spend 3.5 million ( a guess as read here ) then run the place as posted I say tuff! First day or 3 months into the season. With that kind of investment you need to be ready to run right outta the gate.
dpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 11:44 AM   #20
dmjr

I showed up at the Lobster Pound on Saturday night around 7:30pm and was told that there was a 2.5 hour wait in the kitchen. For a business that just opened, I feel they need to work out the bugs.
Old 06-09-2008, 12:13 PM   #21
sa meredith

Default holy cow!

Wow...all these negative posts...it's too bad. Although I would guess it will get better quickly, I can't help but think: Did they not realize that summer was here, and they would be swamped with customers instantly??? Everyone always wants to "check out the new place". And, aside from that, with the season so short, they are wasting prime time.
I'm wondering if they are new to the business, or have they owned a restaurant before..
Old 06-09-2008, 12:42 PM   #22
COWISLAND NH

Default We will go back..hope it gets better

I went Sat nite with a large group(12), was told a 30min wait. No problem we went to the bar, after 30 min we were told it would be another 30 mins....long story short it ended up being over an hour and a half wait to be seated...then another 45 min to eat. Mike the manager was sorry and tried to help, he gave us a table out side, but it was no the best of nights. I pray they get their act together befor bike...it won't be pretty. I will go back bc their steamers were great.
COWISLAND NH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 01:06 PM   #23
brk-lnt

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa meredith View Post
I'm wondering if they are new to the business, or have they owned a restaurant before..
Someone mentioned that this is being run by the former owners of Nadias. If so it makes sense, as the experiences described here pretty much mirror my limited (2) dining experiences at Nadias, and the stories from friends who went there.
Old 06-09-2008, 02:06 PM   #24
rander7823

Default Not same owners but same chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by brk-lnt View Post
Someone mentioned that this is being run by the former owners of Nadias. If so it makes sense, as the experiences described here pretty much mirror my limited (2) dining experiences at Nadias, and the stories from friends who went there.
I read this as the same chef as Nadia's not the same owners
rander7823 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 03:36 PM   #25
Hermit Cover

Default Houston.....

I think they have a problem.....! But not to worry....at $9 to $15 a glass for house chardonnay....sell enough of that and the place will survive...very well, thank you. Can't wait to spend 3 or 4 hours waiting for a dinner...
Hermit Cover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 04:37 PM   #26
moose tracks

Location: Loudon, Tennessee, foothills of the Great Smoky Mountains

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermit Cover View Post
I think they have a problem.....! But not to worry....at $9 to $15 a glass for house chardonnay....sell enough of that and the place will survive...very well, thank you. Can't wait to spend 3 or 4 hours waiting for a dinner...
Thats why we found another place to have dinner.
Old 06-09-2008, 04:50 PM   #27
jrc

Nadia's always had good food, but it was never anywhere near fast. Hopefully that's not the model that the Lobster pound plans to use. I won't visit until they work out the kinks and get some positive reviews here. Given their location, they may survive off the drink menu forever, like their neighbors. But Patrick's has proven that you can have a good restaurant and a good bar business.
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 08:50 PM   #28
michael c

Default the lobster pound

I will say it again ....give them a little time,,,they will work it all out ...these people earned their money the hard way...they worked for it ! and anyone smart enough to come up with that amount of cash and credit rating isn't stupid.
they see the problems and i bet 20 % are already gone...all done ..It may not even take the 6-8 weeks I first mentioned......might be mostly fixed in the first 3-4 weeks.
Now there is another situation : pricing with chic lobsters costing $7.00 a pound and 1 1/2 -2lb up around $8.00 -$8.25 cost ya just can't tell ...the lobster boats are still only being paid between $2.50 -$2.75 a pound so that huge mark up is dealers/wholesalers and diesal fuel...
There is not a glass of Chardonay on earth that i would pay $9.00 for ..
A really nice new zealand pinot grigio would be a different story

So they face a number of obstacles: I am sure that there has not been a minute go by that they were not thinking of ways to solve these "challenges" I don't have problems, I have challenges.. Some of them they can control,,,,and control they will with an iron fist..some things ,such as food cost ,ya just have to wiggle with it
6 months ago oil for the friolaters was $18.00 ...now its $30.00
Mark my words...pockets this deep know how to survive...and they will ,,,and they will prosper...
Old 06-10-2008, 06:31 AM   #29
brk-lnt

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael c View Post
Mark my words...pockets this deep know how to survive..
The world is littered with formerly-rich restaurateurs, many of which who got too far ahead of their finances in locations far less seasonal than this.

You are argue their experience is in their favor. I argue that if they were so experienced and cash-flush they would have delayed opening until these problems were worked out, or they would have been able to open on schedule with a smoother operation.

I hope they make it, it sounds like a good recipe for success (pun intended).
Old 06-10-2008, 02:26 PM   #30
vmartino26

After all these messages, I thought I'd jot down a couple of things. I will be giving the Lobster Pound a second chance -- although I'll really have to work on my wife going there again. Everyone deserves a second chance. It's very important in my opinion that the establishment succeed. It would be a great loss to the area if they aren't able to make it. It's in all our interests to see that they do well. I do hope, however, that the owners are reading these comments. Kinks do have to be worked out, however it doesn't take a lot of thought to recognize that there are significant problems when orders were being delivered to the wrong table, people were leaving in a huff, and for some of us who did hang in there for two hours no one from the wait staff even approached us for a significant period of time. Those aren't kinks, at least not in my experience. So here's hoping on our second visit things go a little bit more smoothly.
Old 06-14-2008, 07:15 AM   #31
Lakepilot

This may be somewhat off topic. We are in Lenox, MA for 2 days. We stopped at a restaurant called Alta and had a wonderful meal with great service. The owner came to our table to ask how the food and service was and what he could do to improve things. I told him to just keep up the good work then asked him how long he had been opened. He said just a week. I asked if he did a trial run before opening and he said he did one full house with friends.
Lakepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 12:31 PM   #32
froggy

And this is now bike week (10 days!).
froggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 04:50 PM   #33
sa meredith

Default change...

So, I'm wondering if anyone has been recently, and if things are changing???
I imagine that, by now, some progress must have been made.
Old 06-25-2008, 08:51 PM   #34
hazelnut

GREAT QUESTION!

I too am wondering as I am so hopeful that they succeed. The Weirs needs this place so bad. I think it is a positive thing and I just feel like things are on the upswing for the Weirs. Maybe I am ever the optimist but the whole look of the new "Pound" is kind of like a crowning jewel at the entrance to the Weirs.

Updates would be welcome.
hazelnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 10:31 PM   #35
Hermit Cover

Default Crowds all week....

I was in the Weirs area last Saturday and I must say ....there were literally thousands of people congregating in front of the Pound..... probably waiting to get one of those beautiful crustaceans......as far as the eye could see hundreds of motorcycles up and down the streets all waiting I'm sure to get into this newly re-opened Weirs landmark.....what? Bike Week? Oh..... NEVER MIND......
Hermit Cover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 10:57 PM   #36
Misha888

Lightbulb

Quote:
I'm sorry you had a bad time there....but God, give it a month or two. They just opened up on a limited basis. They seemed to do everything possile to address your concerns. I don't get the rage ?
and Michael C . . .

I know that these don't even compare, but if your investor was "new" and he/she invested your capital and lost a majority of it, you wouldn't be happy either. The poster was just wanting a nice relaxing dinner and they didn't get it.

Give those sharing a break. This backwards thinking is becoming the demise of this country. "lets give them some slack since they just opened". These are just excuses. Not holding a service oriented industry to some sort of standard is ridiculous. . . A good chef doesn't put out a plate that they're not proud of and if you're the owner and you're working the front end, there is no excuse. The manager made the right decision to comp, though I would have paid the bill. Poor and soft management is my guess. More people should plan their work and work their plan. p.s. I DO understand the in's and out's of running a successful restaurant. Hampton Beach (20 years ago).

Also, in a lower post I see that you stated that these people have a deep pockets aka in my business "skin in the game" and they'll make it work. Throwing money at it shouldn't be the strategy. You need a good chef, a stern but consistently,pleasant front end manager and good wait staff. They're lucking they're in a transient, seasonal town with repeat business if they can get it together. The kinks should have been worked out in the first week they were opened. It appeared that the construction crew was behind, and their opening was probably planned a few weeks before Memorial day . . . and I feel for them. No one should have a hard opening on a major holiday weekend, but you do what you need to do.

I hope they work it out, it's a fabulous location, the ambiance is nice and it's the perfect Friday night restaurant before taking in a drive in movie.

My sister and her husband and friends have been there twice this year and they weren't very impressed, they have one last shot but I think we'll wait to August and some time mid week to try them again.

All the best, really.
Misha888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 05:45 PM   #37
MeredithBay

Thumbs down

I have given the Lobster pound a try 3 times. This last time our entire table of 7 vowed we will never return. I have NEVER been treated so poorly in my life at a restaurant. Not only did we feel like we were overcharged for our drinks and appetizers, but a person at our table ordered Fried scallops for $15.95. On our bill they charged us for baked stuffed scallops for $21.40, we asked if they could take care of it considering we didn't order that. The manager came over, laughed, and said "are you really complaining about $5? Sorry there is nothing I can do". We were astonished. The food and drinks are overpriced and that manager was absolutely beyond rude. Where do they get off charging people for something they didn't order and then saying "too bad". Appalling.
MeredithBay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 06:01 PM   #38
Irish mist

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeredithBay View Post
I have given the Lobster pound a try 3 times. This last time our entire table of 7 vowed we will never return. I have NEVER been treated so poorly in my life at a restaurant. Not only did we feel like we were overcharged for our drinks and appetizers, but a person at our table ordered Fried scallops for $15.95. On our bill they charged us for baked stuffed scallops for $21.40, we asked if they could take care of it considering we didn't order that. The manager came over, laughed, and said "are you really complaining about $5? Sorry there is nothing I can do". We were astonished. The food and drinks are overpriced and that manager was absolutely beyond rude. Where do they get off charging people for something they didn't order and then saying "too bad". Appalling.
This sounds like pure BULL !!!

Last edited by Irish mist; 02-27-2011 at 10:20 PM.
Old 07-06-2008, 07:10 PM   #39
EricP

Quote:
This sounds like pure BULL !!!
I can't believe they wouldn't fix a bill, that's the craziest thing I've heard since last night. I agree it has to be bull.
Old 07-06-2008, 08:45 PM   #40
MeredithBay

This is not "bull". I wouldn't waste my time complaining about somthing if it wasn't serious. I am a huge believer in supporting local business, and actually never have complained or posted anything negative about anyone, but this blew me out of the water. I have never been treated so poorly in my life. I have 7 others that will agree, actually 8 including the poor waitress that offered to pay for the wrong meal herself after her manager refused to help us.
Old 07-06-2008, 10:25 PM   #41
Mr. V

Quote:
This is not "bull". I wouldn't waste my time complaining about somthing if it wasn't serious. I am a huge believer in supporting local business, and actually never have complained or posted anything negative about anyone, but this blew me out of the water. I have never been treated so poorly in my life. I have 7 others that will agree, actually 8 including the poor waitress that offered to pay for the wrong meal herself after her manager refused to help us.
Your first post was a complaint; this is your second post.

Certainly you are correct when you say you "never have complained or posted anything negative about anyone," because you are brand new to the board.

The jury is still out, newbie.
Mr. V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 11:13 PM   #42
jetskier

Question Any good experiences?

Quote:
I have been pondering whether to try Lobster Pound this season. There seems to be a plethera of very bad experiences. Has anyone had a good experience there? Does the management wish to respond to any of the discussed issues?

If not, I am just going to write it off this season. There are too many decent restaurants deserving patronage in the area.

Jetskier
Old 07-07-2008, 07:01 AM   #43
chipj29

Quote:
Wow...just wow. That manager doesn't deserve to be employed...period.
chipj29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 09:42 AM   #44
wMw

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetskier View Post
I have been pondering whether to try Lobster Pound this season. There seems to be a plethera of very bad experiences. Has anyone had a good experience there?

Jetskier
I went there one very hot night just before bike week with a couple of friends. Service was fine, food was ok, air-conditioner was not keeping up...we found it a bit too warm inside. All-in-all not a memorable experience but nothing really to complain about.

I, too, will go back someday, maybe on a perfect weather day so I can enjoy the view from the deck. I hope that they are able to sort out their problems and make a successful go of it.

Sing...Dance...Love...Live deliberately!!!
wMw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 11:03 AM   #45
NonVoting Taxpayer

Meredith Bay
I'm dying to hear the end of the story, did the waitress end up paying the additional $5.45, did they eventually take it off the bill or did you end up paying it?
I can't imagine any place over charging you and giving a response like you received when it was brought to the Managers attention.
I would really like to hear the owner of the Lobster Pound's explanation on this forum if they become aware of this situation.
NonVoting Taxpayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 11:18 AM   #46
sa meredith

Default another side????

There HAS to be another side to this story. I'm not saying anyone is not being truthful, but they would not just charge an extra $5, and say "too bad".
I guess I would ask....what actually came out of the kitchen??? It must have been the higher priced "baked stuffed", so the manager wanted to be paid for it. The bill still should have been adjusted, in good faith. But I can't believe the person ate fried scallops, but paid for baked stuffed. Just can't believe that.
Old 07-07-2008, 03:09 PM   #47
Irish mist

Quote:

Really, I'm having a difficult time believing this. I hope the Lobster Pound people come out here, because this just sounds like fiction to me. There's more to this story than meets the eye I think.

Last edited by Irish mist; 02-27-2011 at 10:20 PM.
Old 07-07-2008, 06:02 PM   #48
Overlake97

Default I agree with SA Meredith: more info is needed.

If they really served "fried," but charged for "baked stuffed," there is no way you should have paid the higher price. If you were served the baked stuffed...said nothing and ate it...and THEN complained about paying for it..well that changes things slightly (I guess the customer could have assumed the 'baked' was LP's version of 'fried').

Also, you say you were overcharged for drinks and appetizers; does this mean they charged you for more of these than you actually ordered and/or received? Or that they charged more than the menu's listed price? In either case (plus the baked stuffed case) a restaurant cannot FORCE you to pay for food you did not eat/receive or charge you more than the menu price. If paying cash, just deduct the amount overcharged from your payment. With credit card, just tell them how much to charge the card. I don't think they can charge more than you state. If so, just don't sign it. Finally, you can always pay with a credit card, then call your card company and have them refuse payment. I think this still works.
Overlake97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 08:05 PM   #49
MeredithBay

No, of course we didn't make the waitress pay. In the end the money wasn't the issue, it was the fact that you order something and get charged for something similar, but that you didn't order.

Actually Overlake97 i said "we felt like we were overcharged for drinks and appetizers". What I am saying is the appetizer portions were tiny and expensive, and a pitcher of sangria was cheaper by the glass than by the pitcher, which we thought was unusual.

Be a sceptic if you would like, but I have never had something like this happen to me at a restaurant period.
Old 07-07-2008, 09:22 PM   #50
This'nThat

Quote:
I have been pondering whether to try Lobster Pound this season. There seems to be a plethera of very bad experiences. Has anyone had a good experience there? Does the management wish to respond to any of the discussed issues?

If not, I am just going to write it off this season. There are too many decent restaurants deserving patronage in the area.
I haven't been to the "new" lobster pound. But my experience last year was so horrible, and the comments this year have been too negative for me to venture out again. I would need to hear 15 or so different people all claim to have a wonderful, reasonably-priced meal for me to ever go back there again.
This'nThat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 07:29 AM   #51
aquadocton

Quote:

Meredith Bay,
I didn't see a date anywhere in your messages. Did this happen at the "new" Lobster Pound which opened in June or the old one?
aquadocton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 07:58 AM   #52
sa meredith

Default a little clearer...

Quote:
No, of course we didn't make the waitress pay. In the end the money wasn't the issue, it was the fact that you order something and get charged for something similar, but that you didn't order.

Actually Overlake97 i said "we felt like we were overcharged for drinks and appetizers". What I am saying is the appetizer portions were tiny and expensive, and a pitcher of sangria was cheaper by the glass than by the pitcher, which we thought was unusual.

Be a sceptic if you would like, but I have never had something like this happen to me at a restaurant period.
While I'm sure your experience was poor, as were many written about on this board, and they should have adjusted your bill, the situation is now a bit clearer for the rest of us. It would seem (as you never mention it in your last post) that "baked stuffed" was indeed served, as opposed to the ordered "fried".
While this does not excuse the poor attitude of the manager, it at least would explain his behavior. Baked stuffed came out, was eaten, and he wanted it paid for. I still agree with you however. The bill should have been adjusted.
Old 07-08-2008, 02:58 PM   #53
Heff

They must be doing some things right since there was a 2 hour wait Saturday night! Has anyone had an positive experiences??? The outdoor 2nd floor patio is a nice addition to the area!
Heff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 04:08 PM   #54
sa meredith

Default as said before...

Heff...
I believe it has been stated earlier in this thread...
If a new restaurant isn't full full full at THAT location, on a warm Saturday night, in July, there would be a major problem. They are going to be full in July thru mid to late August by simply unlocking the doors. Now, I believe the impression they make during that time will determine how successful they are.
Old 07-08-2008, 04:26 PM   #55
krm

Default buckets!

Been twice, they serve a good bucket of beer with good view hopefully the food will catch up to the good view. It would be a shame if you could not go and enjoy the view bc they went under.
krm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 11:15 AM   #56
COWISLAND NH

Thumbs up There getting good!

Well we went back Friday night. It was great. The service, food, & live band were all good (w/ fire works!!). I'm glad we went back. Had the lobster, crab legs and buff chicken.....yummy. I encourage everyone to give it a try...we will be regulars now!
COWISLAND NH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 02:52 PM   #57
tricia1218

We went there on a Wednesday night and all I can say was the waiter was nice and the calamari was good, other than that I would not go back for dinner, maybe drinks.

One of our group ordered Shrimp Fradiavlo and it tasted like spagetti O's sauce, I ordered the scampi and there was no flavor at all, it was like a water sauce with shrimp, another ordered the steak tips and they were cold.

I like to give places the benefit of the doubt and read the reviews here before and thought they just need time to work it out, in this case they really need to step it up in the kitchen because the food was not good. There was a little wait for our food and even that I can let go if it is worth it, this was not worth it.
tricia1218 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 12:45 PM   #58
Paugusbaby

Default Sad to report. . .

I had dinner at the Lobster Pound Saturday night. We have waited a bit to give them time to work out the kinks I have read about here. Things started off good - we arrived at 8:05 and were told there would be a 20 min wait - it was exactly 20 minutes! It was down hill from there. We were seated right across from teh kitchen - which has no doors. I must say, it did prove interesting to watch the servers slip and slip dangerously all over the place while 3 to 4 men (who appeared to be either owners or managers) sat there and did basically nothing. Our waitress came over and appeared less than thrilled to be there. She took our order. I ordered the rib eye steak with a baked potato and was told they don't have "baked" they have "grilled" and I knew right away what that meant - they bake them all ahead of time and then cut them and half and grill them when it's time to be served. Oh well. My BF ordered the steak tips. I asked for dressing choices for my salad and, reluctantly, was told of several choices other than the "house" (and go the distrint impression it's an issue). Then the waiting began. Both steaks were ordered medium rare. . . after about 45 minutes (OH - and we ordered sodas when we got there and they were NEVER refilled) I finally had to ask if dinner was coming - she said she'd check with the manager. She came back and said our food was in like for plateing and it would be 3 to 4 minutes. All you steak eaters out there can feel my pain - obviously our steaks were done and sitting there - although "resting" it means they also continued to cook. The waitress then went on to tell us what a horrible night she was having, people were stiffing her b/c they were not happy, etc. My mom was a waitress and I do not hold kitchen issues against the server - but this one was less than friendly. ANYWAY, our food came. The steak was quite good. Not $25.00 good - but not horrible and cooked nicely. The steak tips were mixed. Some were well done and others were medium rare (as ordered). The potatoes were as expected - warm but hard near the skin. Presentation was zero. I think the worst part was watching those four gentlemen just sit there. The should have been walking around chatting with customers - or helping their poor staff who were running around crazy - or perhaps trying to do something about the floor they were all slipping on (we did see some dropped food as a result of this). Anyway - I have no plans to return any time soon.
Paugusbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 06:21 PM   #59
Nauset

Thumbs down Weirs Beach Lobster Pound Horror Show

I want to share our experience with the Weirs Beach Lobster Pound this past Thursday night. We arrived late at 8:45 so there was no wait for a table. That was the only bright spot of the evening. We were served bread and butter but needed to ask for silverware to butter it. The waitress was more interested in sitting down at a table and socializing with some people she knew. We had to get her attention several times to break her away from her friends table. My wife and I each ordered the shrimp scampi which was only average at best. My two children both ordered cheeseburgers, fries, and chocolate milk. I had one beer and my wife had water. The bill was over $80 with the tip.
This is where things got really interesting. As we were walking to the door my 11 year old daughter said she did not feel good. I said OK thinking she was tired. “No dad I really feel sick” in a panic now. We got about 20 feet out the door and she vomited up her whole dinner right in the parking lot. Then as we are approaching the car my 9 year old son says he feels sick too. My first thought is maybe seeing his sister throw-up made him a little queasy. No such luck. He too throws up everything right next to the car.
Two kids eating the same food get sick at almost the same time. I think I see a relationship here!
I went back in the restaurant and over to the table that the waitress is sitting at and discreetly asked if I could speak with her. Away from any other patrons I told her what had happened and was concerned that something they ate had made them sick and asked to speak to a manager. She then went over to one of the owners and relayed what I had told her. The owner came over to me and said that it could not have been caused by anything that the kids ate at the restaurant. He didn’t even ask what they ate to check the food to keep other people from possibly getting sick. He did not show even the slightest concern for my children’s wellbeing or that of the public. I just walked out, but as I passed the same waitress now sitting down with her friends, completely unconcerned as well, I said in a voice loud enough to be heard by several tables “You may want to clean up all the puke in the parking lot from your bad food making my kids sick”. I know getting angry does not help but I was very aggravated by their attitude.
My kids threw up so violently that we had to rinse down all the food that splattered on their legs and flip-flops. Fortunately we had some bottles of spring water and napkins in the car. We were out there for about 10 minutes cleaning them up and no one came out to see if we needed anything or offer any help.
Incidentally, after throwing everything up both kids felt fine and after a quick shower slept good and got up feeling fine the next morning so I don’t believe it was a virus or anything like that.
Needless to say, like a few others have said here, we will not be going back to the Lobster Pound.
Nauset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 06:42 PM   #60
Pineedles

Default Terrible experience

How awful for you, thank godness the kids are fine. What was the degree of doneness that was ordered for the cheeseburgers? Raw, medium raw, rare, medium rare, etc. I prefer medium-rare, but few establishments comply siting health concerns. Maybe there is reason they control the doneness to WELL-DONE.
Pineedles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 06:43 PM   #61
robmac

As stated im other posts it may not be thier fault but to not take a patrons concern seriously and empithize with them is just poor business.I haven't been to the Pound yet this year but expect from all places I do business with if I have a problem or concern(as I do with my business) they at least listen and take note.Doesn't sound like that's happening at the Pound this year.WHAT A SHAME FOR A GREAT LOCATION
robmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 07:33 PM   #62
Nauset

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pineedles View Post
How awful for you, thank godness the kids are fine. What was the degree of doneness that was ordered for the cheeseburgers? Raw, medium raw, rare, medium rare, etc. I prefer medium-rare, but few establishments comply siting health concerns. Maybe there is reason they control the doneness to WELL-DONE.
The burgers were odered well-done and were cooked that way. If I had to guess I think the cause may have been the milk. They each had two glasses. My son only ate a few bites of his burger and had mostly fries.
Old 07-21-2008, 08:33 PM   #63
Airwaves

Maybe a call to the Laconia Health Dept might be in order?
Airwaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 09:23 PM   #64
Mr. V

It wasn't food poisoning: the onset was too sudden.
Mr. V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 08:11 AM   #65
SIKSUKR

Default Just a thought

Food poisening symptoms take a little while to happen.It is usually at least a few hours but can be as soon as 30 minutes after consuming bad food.Does fit into the timeline?I would suspect the milk also.

Mr Cast Iron Stomach
Old 07-22-2008, 11:06 AM   #66
Airwaves

I know that food poisoning isn't instantanious having been through it myself
but it still raises the question how long was the family at the restaurant and how soon after the kids began eating did the "event" happen in the parking lot? If they spent some time there it may have been long enough to produce a reaction.

The other question to be asked is what did they eat say an hour prior to getting to the restaurant, that could be the culprit as well.

But given the lack of concern by the manager over the condition of the kids I'd still alert the health dept that something happened and let them investigate.
Airwaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 11:51 AM   #67
SteveA
Deceased Member

Thanked 2,053 Times in 496 Posts
Default Maybe Not

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. V View Post
It wasn't food poisoning: the onset was too sudden.
Here is the chart from the FDA... some types of food poisioning can occur in less than an hour.

http://www.cfsan.fda.gov/~mow/app2.html

"I would suspect the milk also." SIKSURK might be right on with this one.
Old 07-22-2008, 12:25 PM   #68
jetskier

Default Trifecta

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveA View Post
Here is the chart from the FDA... some types of food poisioning can occur in less than an hour.

http://www.cfsan.fda.gov/~mow/app2.html

"I would suspect the milk also." SIKSURK might be right on with this one.
I believe that Staph is the most likely potential type of food poisoning that would occur in milk and cause the symptoms that you describe.

I have got to admit that this restaurant has set the new standard based upon the postings:
  • Poor food quality
  • Poor service
  • Potential food poisoning

This is quite spectacular...think that I will stick with Sandy Point for this type of cuisine.

Jetskier
Old 07-22-2008, 12:33 PM   #69
SteveA
Deceased Member

Default Great choice

Quote:
I will stick with Sandy Point for this type of cuisine.
Jetskier
I'm surprised that there aren't more reviews on Sandy Point. (I'm guilty of not posting how good they are w/ lobster)
Old 07-23-2008, 10:25 AM   #70
Argie's Wife

Quote:
I believe that Staph is the most likely potential type of food poisoning that would occur in milk and cause the symptoms that you describe.

Jetskier

When milk sours it's lactic acid, a byproduct of the fermentation of lactose (the sugar) found in milk that causes the problem. Lactic acid can be undetectable if there's an additive to the milk that's sweet (i.e. chocolate or strawberry flavored milk) and therefore, the kids very well could have ingested the sour milk. I went through a similar experience at Chuck E. Cheese last year with my boys - similar outcome (no pun intended) as Nauset's children had.

Nauset - how are your children now? Have they had anymore vomiting? I hope they're feeling better.

I also hope you report your experience to the board of health... if the kitchen's refrigerators aren't keeping the safe temperature range for refrigerated foods it could be a disaster. Food easily ferments this time of year, especially, and I'd hate to think what might happen.
Argie's Wife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 09:58 AM   #71
lakesgirl04

Thumbs up THE LOBSTER POUND - contrary to many posts on this site, I like the place!

I go to the Lobster Pound quite often as it fills a niche in the area: a great bar (downstairs and up on the deck), fun kareoke on Wednesday nights (which, in nice weather, is packed), pleasant wait staff and decent food. I know they have had issues in the kitchen with long waits for food but that being said I know they are working on it and, quite honestly, I don't go when I'm in a hurry. It's a fun and attractive place to meet after work or on a weekend everning to "hang out", meet friends and have a casual dinner. Many of the old Willows crowd have adopted the Lobster Pound so if you are a local, you may see familiar faces.
The Lobster Pound has never claimed to be a fine dining restaurant. It's a casual dining, obviously seafood oriented restaurant with great decor. I think it's getting a bad rap - go there on a sunny afternoon - sit upstairs on the deck under the umbrellas, watch the lake and order a margarieta or one of their many yummy drinks - then you'll feel like you are on vacation!
lakesgirl04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 10:24 AM   #72
sa meredith

Default nice change

While it is certainly nice to hear something positive about the LP, I don't think anyone ever questioned the fact the place looked great, and the outdoor areas look like fantastic places to hang out. You sound like you fancy a cocktail from time to time...as do I. (with me it's actually all the time). And there is no question that meeting friends and drinking here is a good idea.

But, it would seem to me, the complaints have been slanted more toward people paying very good money, and just not getting the service they need/deserve. Story after story of all entres not arriving together, and not in a timely manner. Casual dining does not have to take two hours, I don't think.
I've had dinner here once, and chose not to write about it (it had all been said). Comedy of errors.

Anyway, I do enjoy stopping in for a drink or 3, but no more meals for me.
Old 07-24-2008, 01:16 PM   #73
Nauset

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIKSUKR View Post
Food poisening symptoms take a little while to happen.It is usually at least a few hours but can be as soon as 30 minutes after consuming bad food.Does fit into the timeline?I would suspect the milk also.
I would say an hour went by from the time the kids had their first glass of milk. They didn't really eat anything prior to the restaurant except for some potato chips that we all were eating.
Old 07-24-2008, 04:46 PM   #74
mike ray

Default an owners response

My name is Michael Ray, and I am 1 of the owners of the Weirs Beach Lobster Pound. The Pound is owned by myself, my dad Richard Ray and my brother who is also named Richard. Some of you probably know us because we are there 7 days a week, working hard to make The Pound a place we can be proud of. We have been reading the posts all along, and actually appreciate your complaints. We know what our problems are because we are very hands on owners, but it is always helpfull to get negative and positive customer feedback. I would like to thank everyone who has patronized our establishment, and also thank those who have defended us here on the winni forum. As some of you have stated before there are some posts on here that are completely "bs" and that is what has brought me here today. Up untill now we have chosen to remain silent. We feel that actons speak louder than words. That is why we have dedicated ourselves to fixing our problems, and letting the final product do our talking. However, we cannot stand idolly by when someone blames our establishment for making children sick. I can assure all of you, that post is one you can file under "bs". Here is exactly what happened that night.
The family came in late as they said (late for young children anyway) , and ate exactly what they said. The children had cheeseburgers, french fries and two large glasses of chocolate milk each. The parents told our waitress that the children had been running around, playing all day in the hot sun and were starving. The waitress told myself and my brother that the children "chowed down" the food and drinks. Maybe feeding young children cheeseburgers and chocolate milk late at night after spending a day in the hot sun "running around" was not a smart idea. I can't speak for anyone else, but just thinking about the combo of choc milk, fries and burgers makes my belly do backflips. Also I think it is quite possible that when 1 child got sick, the other did as a result of seeing the sick sibling. We have to remember, children tend to have very sensitve stomachs and even adults get sick as a result of seeing others vomit.
What happened after the incident is really what I take issue with. The father approached myself and my brother in the bar area of the pound and told us his children had just gotten sick. My brother asked what they had eaten for dinner. The father replied cheeseburgers. my brother asked if the burgers were undercooked, to which the father replied "no". My brother explained that it couldn't have been the meat, we had been serving burgers all day and hadn't had 1 complaint and also we were in and out of the kitchen all day and knew the meat was properly stored. The father said angrily "you are going to tell me there is nothing wrong with your food? why are my children in your parking lot puking?" My brothers reply was "sir, i don't think it was the food, but if you can tell me how you would like me to help you, I would gladly do so." The father started heading for the exit, then turned around and infront of a resturant full of men, women and children yelled "you can go fu@# yourself!" Both my brother and myself sat there stunned. I can understand that the father was upset but that was no way to handle the situation. We were more than willing to assist the family in any way possible but after having profanities screamed at us, felt it was best to stay away.
After all this happened, we asked a hostess to keep and eye on the family and to assist them with anything they might need. I saw her going in and out to the parking lot checking on the family, however she did not engage them, thinking they had everything under control. Both myself and my brother pulled their check from the computer system, went back into the kitchen and checked every item the family had, including the milk. We suspected that the milk was the problem, but we found that everything was perfect, and that the milk was fresh and just opened that day. We spoke to our chef about the incident and inspected the meat with her and found that the meat was fresh and properly refrigerated. I can only speculate as to why the children got sick, but there is 1 thing I can assure all of you, it was not because of any spoiled drinks or food being served at the pound.
All of our refridgeration units are brand new and in perfect working order. We pride ourselves on our cleanliness, and the quality of our food. In all of the complaints we have had, there has never been 1 about the QUALITY of our food. We only buy and serve the best of the best and will continue to do so.
So in closing, I am here to say we know we have issuses to adress and we are adressing them on a daily basis. I am not making any excuses here. We are determined to workout our issues and become 1 of the top resturants in the lakes region. We have a tremendous staff that is working dilligently to make every customer happy. We have been serving up to 600 customers daily, with very little complaints, and every day is better than the last. If you would like to meet us personally to discuss any of your concerns, as I stated before we are ther 7 days a week and would be happy to listen. If you would like a tour of our kitchen facilities to see how our food is prepared and stored, please just ask.(as long as we aren't extremely busy) We built this resturant to be a shinning star in an area that we have loved since we were young children. Our hope is that you continue to support us and all the other fine establishments in the lakes reigon. We have some great ideas planned for the future. You will see some exciting new changes for bike week, and many different attractions come to our property.(concerts,octoberfests,etc...) We are in this for the long haul, and hope to make all of you fans of the Weirs Beach Lobster Pound. thanks, mike
mike ray is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mike ray For This Useful Post:
Don (08-24-2008)
Old 07-24-2008, 05:06 PM   #75
VitaBene

Thanked 1,599 Times in 820 Posts

Mike,

Good post- thank you for your side of the story. I have not been to your place yet which is why I have not posted on this thread, nor do I take a position. I will check LP out soon.

It sounds like an earlier spring break in period would have allowed your staff to ramp up. Best of luck with your venture.

Nauset,

Any chance the kids were dehydrated at all? Are they OK? Did they see a doctor and what did he/she say?

I have had food poisoning and it is terrible, hopefully that is not what it was but as noted earlier that is unlikely given the timing.

Regardless, I hope all is well with your family.
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 05:12 PM   #76
sa meredith

Default wow...

Mike...you held your tongue for a long time. Let me be the first to say, "Welcome to the party!" We all don't get along, but heck, we're hiding behind a computer screen...so have at, I always say. hahaahha
Anyway...nice digs you have over there. Quite a place, and what a location.
About the sick kids....the story is much more entertaining when you let eveyone think you poisoned their kids, so if it's all the same to you, let's leave it that way. OK?
Honestly, what you have spelled out, assuming it is all truthful, is a decent explanation...It must have been tough to read that knowing you had a side of the story. There usually are two sides to every one.
He really swore??!! I guess I can see that. No one want to see their family members in any type of peril. So the chocolate milk is fine? Great. I feel much better.
Now, about the ticket times....
Old 07-24-2008, 06:36 PM   #77
lakesgirl04

Default Way To Go, Mike

Mike, I'm so glad you guys decided to step in and tell your side of the story. And it's great that you're letting the Winni on-line community get to know you, your Dad and brother.

Keep it up - yes, it's getting better every day.
lakesgirl04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 06:56 PM   #78
ITD

There are always two sides to each story, a story which makes more sense now. I've been food poisoned before (not at any lakes region place), it took at least the night and most of the next day to feel better. I would chalk this up to bad luck and be done with it.
ITD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 07:38 PM   #79
SteveA
Deceased Member

Default Welcome Mike

Best wishes to you and you family. I have sat on the side for this "debate" because I have not personally been to the "new" "Lobster Pound" . My wife and her friend have been there and liked it alot. I won't try to post a second hand review, I will just say, while she dosen't "type' into winni.com she does read it and has been surprised by the negative reviews.

I really like the fact that you seem to be taking most of the negative reviews as a chance to improve your service and improve your staff. Hang in there, and I will make point of visiting. (PS I will take you up on the kitchen tour.. that sounds like alot of fun..)

Last edited by SteveA; 07-30-2008 at 08:56 PM.
SteveA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 08:48 PM   #80
Irish mist

Bravo to you for giving us the other side of the story. It's real important for "most" of us out here who care about this area to see you people do well in that location. Good luck.

Last edited by Irish mist; 02-27-2011 at 10:21 PM.
Old 07-24-2008, 10:55 PM   #81
Resident 2B

Mike Ray,

Thank you for your explanation.

Owners that post to this site really impress me.

We have not as yet been to your new place, but we will be there sometime this weekend.

We hope to be impressed and are reasonable folks with open-minds.

Best regards and good luck with our new vendure!

R2B

Last edited by Resident 2B; 07-25-2008 at 03:39 PM.
Resident 2B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 10:35 AM   #82
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,625 Times in 561 Posts

So glad to hear your side of the story.I try to mind my own business when it comes to this thread but I hate to see a place get torn down.Most foodborne illness' have an incubation period from several hours to several days..Only one,staphylococcus,has a rapid incubation,but the effects last for several days so that could not have been the problem with the two kids.
There are two sides to every story.....I believe the "Pound"
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 10:48 AM   #83
twoplustwo

Default wow

The father started heading for the exit, then turned around and infront of a resturant full of men, women and children yelled "you can go fu@# yourself!"

Classy.

Thanks for airing your side of the story, Mike. We have yet to get over there, but certainly will. Best of luck with your new venture.
twoplustwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 04:14 PM   #84
jetskier

Question Please tell us what you are doing to correct the issues

Hi Mike,

I have not tried the new Lobster Pound. Like a number of other members of the forum we are reticent to do so until we know that the start-up issues have been addressed. Independent of the issue the you spoke to, can you please comment on what you are doing to improve service and quality? I think that a number of us would like to know.

Jetskier
Old 07-28-2008, 08:29 PM   #85
skisox24

Default Lobster Pound Legacy

OK, Mike, here is our confession. Our family is obsessed with seafood, and I am a shellfish freak. We last traded at the Lobster Pound more than fifteen years ago. Why have we not returned??? I became convinced that the old owners consistently misrepresented the food quantities, i.e. a pound of steamers served were certainly well short of a legitimate pound of steamers.

My family tried your new Lobster Pound last week for the first time. Congratulations on the substantial improvements in the facility itself. Impressive, indeed. The food was good and the service was quite pleasant. I ordered my favorite pound of steamers as an appetizer. I don't carry a food scale with me and can't say for sure that the serving was indeed equal to a pound portion. However, as a veteran steamer consumer, I have an inner sense of what constitutes a pound of steamers, and I am confident of its general accuracy. At the same time, I will state that while the steamers were properly steamed and served, your price for the appetizer was on the high side of what we would expect in the big-city restaurants of Boston and New York City. If the serving was more generous, we wouldn't have given the price a second thought.

I admire your posting on the website and your dedication to your restaurant. We look forward to our second opportunity to dine at your establishment, and wish you all the best.
skisox24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 09:47 AM   #86
Seaplane Pilot

I'm no doctor, but it sounds to me like those kids had sunstroke. The restaurant is an easy target to blame, but I highly doubt that food poisoning could hit so soon after eating something.
Seaplane Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 11:31 AM   #87
nj2nh

Now that Mike has given his side of the kids/burgers/throwing up story, I would like to hear Nauset's explanation of cursing in front of a restaurant full of people.

I'm just saying that I know I wouldn't appreciate it no matter the circumstances. There just is no call for that - ever.

nj2nh
Old 07-29-2008, 12:02 PM   #88
vmartino26

Default Congratulations

Congratulations, Mike, on your new venture. Our first experience at the pound didn't go all that well, but I'm glad to hear that you're using this forum to improve services and make the dining experience a pleasurable one. That's important in this day and age -- with money so tight, it seems to me that there's little room for error. The Weirs Beach Lobster Pound is an important cog in the "Weirs" arena. You're literally at the doorstep to the attractions, other restaurants, et cetera. It's important that the Lobster Pound succeeed and in turn flourish in its particular spot. We'll be back again later in the season and expect that our experience will be much improved from our first visit. And I'm glad to see you spoke out about the so-called "food poisoning" incident. It's important to hear both sides of a story. Good luck!
Old 07-30-2008, 12:16 PM   #89
jetskier

Default Really!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmartino26 View Post
Congratulations, Mike, on your new venture. Our first experience at the pound didn't go all that well, but I'm glad to hear that you're using this forum to improve services and make the dining experience a pleasurable one. That's important in this day and age -- with money so tight, it seems to me that there's little room for error. The Weirs Beach Lobster Pound is an important cog in the "Weirs" arena. You're literally at the doorstep to the attractions, other restaurants, et cetera. It's important that the Lobster Pound succeeed and in turn flourish in its particular spot. We'll be back again later in the season and expect that our experience will be much improved from our first visit. And I'm glad to see you spoke out about the so-called "food poisoning" incident. It's important to hear both sides of a story. Good luck!
I am getting a bit jaded relative to this one event. At this point, I have not heard from Mike regarding the specific complaints associated with service and food quality. Indeed, he may be past all that as it could be associated with the business startup. However, as fast as he was to reply to the "incident", he has not replied to the more salient issues. The patio did look busy when we drove by this weekend, so maybe Mike is not all that concerned with patronage. If the issues have been addressed, fine tell us...else I am going to go elsewhere. In terms of the "incident", I really could not care less anymore.

Jetskier
Old 07-30-2008, 01:31 PM   #90
sa meredith

Default other issues

Jetskier...agree completely. While I think it is a good start for Mike to have finally "jumped in", I was puzzled by all the "hugs and kisses" he was thrown.
He simply signed on and made a compelling argument that his resturant did not get the children sick. And I, along with many others believe him.
But how about post after post of nightmare ticket times (time from order to food arriving), food coming out wrong, and bills not being properly adjusted?
And no one seem to be caring?
He really has said nothing about what they doing to get better.
The love he received for the one post was a bit disproportionate.
Old 07-30-2008, 03:07 PM   #91
mike ray

Default actions speak louder than words

As I said in the previous post, i would rather let our finished product do the talking for us. We have made, and will continue to make changes untill we achive perfection. Honestley, I really don't have the time to log in and post messages concerning every detail of our business. I havent even gotten a chance to get out and explore that big beautiful lake I see everyday. Any fish in there? Here is my preposal, come down to the pound any day of the week and ask for me, my dad, or my bro, and we would be more than happy to answer any questions you may have. I can talk a heck of a lot faster than I can type and actually show you what we are up to.(maybe even buy you a beer, draft only, its cheaper) As far as adressing the issues such as adjusting checks, i thought i did discuss that by saying there are many posts that you can file under "bs." The bottom line here is, it takes a lot of time, for me anyway, to sit and type these posts, and eventhough it is important, I just don't have the time to answer every question in detail. Come down to the pound any day and we will gladly sit and discuss anything that is on your mind. Except politics! mike
mike ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 03:33 PM   #92
sa meredith

Default Ok then...

Mike...you know what? Fair enough, as far as I am concerned. I guess that is as much as anyone could ask for.
It would be nice to read some reviews from people who have made return visits, and improvements they experienced.
Old 07-30-2008, 08:27 PM   #93
EricP

Mike, I'd like to say I admire you're ability to respond and not return volleys. There have been a few harsh comments made about a few things and your response has been very professional. I have only been to the place once this year so far and that was during bike week. We stopped in for a few drinks while walking around. It sound slike your addressing things and I'll accept that as well and will at least come by and have dinner soon as I have been hanging out here waiting until I hear things improved over the first few posts. I hope you guys nail it and wish you luck. As I said, we like the look you have given the place and hope you are here to stay.

Eric
Old 07-31-2008, 06:16 AM   #94
dpg

Default Mike The Owner

Mike good to hear your side...Just one problem, some people posting may live hundreds of miles away (maybe?) and cannot just "stop in." Busy or not I'm VERY curious about post #19...response?? Other than filing it under possibly "bs." In my opinion your correct, no food of yours made those two children sick BUT.....if your manager did tell a customer what the poster claims he/she deserves a real dope-slap up-side the head!! I've been in once, it was good nothing I'd drive out of my way for but good.
Old 08-15-2008, 08:15 PM   #95
LoveBitesPastryShop

Default An inside point of view…

I have just finally gotten a chance to get caught up with the forums, and it took me quite awhile to read what is being said about The Pound. I apologize for bringing back an older thread but I really wanted to share my experiences with all the forum readers. I thought it might be helpful if I offered up an inside point of view of The Weirs Beach Lobster Pound. As many of you know Love Bites Pastry Shop has the honor and privilege of supplying The Lobster Pound with their dessert line. We have had this honor from the moment they opened their new doors. From our very first meeting with Rich and Mike, up on the almost finished deck plating and serving them sample after sample of our desserts, while Carol was busy working with the new computer systems downstairs, we knew that we wanted to work with them. The reason for this is because they could truly appreciate the value of quality hard work, and that is because they were not strangers to it. We also knew they were going to get even more work done that day thanks to the sugar fuelled rush we just gave them, but that’s a story for another day. We were greeted immediately like we were old friends by the entire team and have been treated that way ever since.

Now as most of you know I purchased my pre-established business from a very well known couple, as such I can very much appreciate the difficulties involved with such an undertaking. Much like myself, Rich, Mike and the LP team have faced the challenge of working with a pre-established business with a pre-established reputation, new staff, new & used equipment but also in new construction. Anyone who has ever had new construction in their business or home can tell you that there are always, always kinks to be worked out over the following weeks and months of having the work done, regardless of how much money you have. Heck I am still working out little kinks in my shops new construction and we are approaching a year. I can assure you from first hand experience that all of the kinks and challenges that arose during the first few weeks kept the team at The Lobster Pound on the constant go. Mike, Rich, Carol and Michael take their jobs very seriously and truly want to make sure their patrons are happy. The hours alone that they put in can attest to their dedication to making this a complete success. I have been early in the morning to deliver goodies and found them there, already on the run, only to come back later in the evening to bring more stock to find them still there, and still on the go. To even suggest that they are doing anything less than working their tails off for the success of this business is just simply incorrect. Their hard work and dedication under extreme pressure and constant criticism is truly impressive. They were handed constant challenges and constantly rose to the challenge and dealt with it in an extremely professional matter.

I have personally been in and out of that kitchen many many times and I can tell you it is probably one of the cleanest, most organized commercial kitchens I have been in, and I can assure you I have been in a great deal of the kitchens around this lake and beyond. In fact after being in my kitchen next to the ovens all day, going into their beautiful walk in cooler is like a mini vacation for me! I had more than 7 months under my belt before the busy season started kicking in and it was quite a shock how busy it got so quickly, it took us a few weeks to get our bearing straight. I think the LP did a very good job all things considered. Did they run into some snafus, some minor and major kinks? Of course they did. Are they working almost 24-7 to find ways to improve their operations? Again, of course they are. If they weren’t then that would suggest that they sunk all of this time, effort, and funds into something then just sat back and laughed as it was run into the ground. When put like that, it sounds pretty silly doesn’t it?

One Saturday night my handsome husband, some very dear friends of ours and myself met at the Lobster Pound for some beverages and a nice late meal. Our service was outstanding and we were truly enjoying ourselves. My husband ordered the steamers and wouldn’t you know it their steamer went down before he got his order. My husband certainly did not expect someone to come dashing across the restaurant with a screwdriver to fix it (we just don’t take ourselves that seriously), he just ordered another drink and picked something else out, no biggie. Did it add a little time to our wait? You bet, but what’s the rush we were having a night out, not going through a drive through. Next thing we know Michael came out with a heaping plate of shrimp in this wonderful sauce on the house while they prepared our main course. Now I am sure you are thinking we got this treatment because we work together and if that’s the case then it must have been reunion night because I sat there and watched him do the same for just about every other table in our section who were also waiting for steamers. Kinks happen, and we all do our best to overcome them. I really hope that those reading these forums will go to the Lobster Pound in the mind set to sit back relax have a few beverages, a lovely meal, a few laughs, some fabulous dessert and enjoy the fruits of their labor, and if a kink arises I have no doubt that one of the LP team members will do everything they can to make it right.

Keep up the good work guys, you are doing an outstanding job!
LoveBitesPastryShop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 09:11 AM   #96
Rose

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBitesPastryShop View Post
Keep up the good work guys, you are doing an outstanding job!
What a lovely post! I don't do seafood, so wasn't contemplating going to the Lobster Pound, but I'll have to add it to the list after reading your thoughts.
Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 12:49 AM   #97
fishdc

Default Not that great

We went to the Lobster Pound at the Weirs last week while on vacation. It looks so nice from the outside, but we were very disappointed. The menu is very limited but worst of all, my husband ordered a $20.00 broiled scallop dish that came with 4 scallops. We questioned if the portion was correct and were told by the waitress that she asked the manager and he said 8 ounces is all that you get. My poor husband got 4 little scallops, a small salad, mostly lettuce and a small baked potato. I got haddock which tasted good and was a normal portion. Our daughter got a bowl of clam chowder and an order of buffalo wings and the bill was almost $70.00. We had to stop and get food for my husband on the way back to the cottage ! He was still hungry. We feel there are too many other places to eat that give you more for the money.
fishdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 06:23 AM   #98
VtSteve

Think of it this way, most portions are way too big anyway. Perhaps eating there more often will keep you both fit and healthy

Seriously. Loved reading the owner's post. It was insightful and very well done. It reflects well on the establishment, and sounded very sincere. On my next trip over to Winni, I'll be sure we try the LP, as I love that type of atmosphere. I really need to go to Harts and see if they still make those huge Blueberry chiffon pies as well I remember the days of docking at the town docks and having the Hart's truck come down and deliver a turkey dinner and a pie. I think once we even walked up the hill

I'm pretty black and white as far as restaurants go, so my review will be swift and fair. Maybe a great time would be the foliage time coming up.
VtSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 06:15 AM   #99
dpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishdc View Post
My poor husband got 4 little scallops, a small salad, mostly lettuce and a small baked potato.
Your poor husband? Pleeaaasssseeeee!!!
Old 08-19-2008, 07:59 AM   #100
jetskier

Post Rational View

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpg View Post
Your poor husband? Pleeaaasssseeeee!!!
Come on. It is not unreasonable to have expectations of quality and quantity based upon price. I don't think that the review was unreasonable. It does mirror our experience.

Jetskier