Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-24-2017, 07:37 AM   #1
Dave R

Default Learned something new about trim tabs...

I learned a new new technique for smoothing the ride on rough water last year and have been experimenting with it this year with excellent results. Until recently, I only used my trim tabs to reduce my time to plane, lower my planing speed, and level the boat, which they excel at. I also discovered that that do a phenomenal job of smoothing out the ride at speed.

In the past when I was approaching an oncoming wake that was big enough to cause discomfort, I'd throttle back, ride over the wake at 10-15 MPH below my cruising speed, then throttle up to get back to my cruising speed. It was effective but wasted fuel. Now I just leave the throttle alone and put both tabs way down before I hit the wake. This lifts the stern and forces the bow down rather hard which makes it slice through the wake smoothly rather than ride over it. I only lose 2-3 MPH when the tabs are down, but the ride is remarkably smooth.

If it's choppy, I just leave them down and have found that I can often make the ride even smoother by throttling up, which seems counter-intuitive, but really works. My fuel consumption in MPG is substantially lower at 35 MPH than it is at 20 MPH, so not only do I make better time and enjoy a smoother ride, I save money too.

If you have trim tabs, try this technique out. If you have a planing-hull boat, but don't have trim tabs, put them on or near the top of your wish list if you plan to spend any time on Winnipesaukee. They are worth every cent

Last edited by Dave R; 05-24-2017 at 03:34 PM.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote