Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 01-09-2014, 12:02 PM   #1
riverat

Default Ice Airport 2014

Won't be long now before airport is up and running, talked to Paul today as he was coming off the ice from checking ice thickness and it was atleast 12" everywhere he checked. He said he would start leveling off the bumps on the runway as best he could and get things laid out.
It will be nice to see the bay in full swing again.
I've added another bobhouse this year and have them set up in the same general location and my doors are always open to anyone that wants to visit.
Hope to see you on the ice and wear your ice creepers it is icy out there.
RLW (01-09-2014)
Old 01-09-2014, 10:23 PM   #2
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default Hi River Rat...

Hopefully those who are snowmobiling in Alton Bay will stay to the west side of the bandstand and avoid the runway that runs due north and south from the band stand to a point west of Sandy Point (or to a point 3000 feet out from the bandstand.

Ditto to those with bobhouses...keep them to the left of a north south line going out from the bandstand.

The runway designation is rwy 1/19, which means the runway heading (direction) is 010 degrees heading out, and 190 degrees. Lets all share the lake, and give the planes some space who give our Alton Bay businesses much needed business.

And Riverrat, I qualify for a free fishing license, and my wife bought me a hand auger for Christmas, and a tip up. Gotta go to Amilynne's and let Brian get me my license, and then I will see you on the lake.
Old 01-09-2014, 10:46 PM   #3
RLW

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by upthesaukee View Post
Hopefully those who are snowmobiling in Alton Bay will stay to the west side of the bandstand and avoid the runway that runs due north and south from the band stand to a point west of Sandy Point (or to a point 3000 feet out from the bandstand.

Ditto to those with bobhouses...keep them to the left of a north south line going out from the bandstand.

The runway designation is rwy 1/19, which means the runway heading (direction) is 010 degrees heading out, and 190 degrees. Lets all share the lake, and give the planes some space who give our Alton Bay businesses much needed business.

And Riverrat, I qualify for a free fishing license, and my wife bought me a hand auger for Christmas, and a tip up. Gotta go to Amilynne's and let Brian get me my license, and then I will see you on the lake.
Sounds like a lot of fun. Don't forget to fill the bait bucket up while with Brian getting your license.

Old 01-10-2014, 08:57 AM   #4
Just Sold

Exclamation Warning Sign is There!

"upthesaukee;217447]Hopefully those who are snowmobiling in Alton Bay will stay to the west side of the bandstand and avoid the runway that runs due north and south from the band stand to a point west of Sandy Point (or to a point 3000 feet out from the bandstand.

The runway designation is rwy 1/19, which means the runway heading (direction) is 010 degrees heading out, and 190 degrees. Lets all share the lake, and give the planes some space who give our Alton Bay businesses much needed business."

The sign has been up for a while opposite the boat ramp.
Attached Images

Old 01-10-2014, 10:56 AM   #5
upthesaukee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Sold View Post
"upthesaukee;217447]Hopefully those who are snowmobiling in Alton Bay will stay to the west side of the bandstand and avoid the runway that runs due north and south from the band stand to a point west of Sandy Point (or to a point 3000 feet out from the bandstand.

The runway designation is rwy 1/19, which means the runway heading (direction) is 010 degrees heading out, and 190 degrees. Lets all share the lake, and give the planes some space who give our Alton Bay businesses much needed business."

The sign has been up for a while opposite the boat ramp.
I know the sign has been up, but as long as I have lived here (1996), people have disregarded the runway area, like the two icehouses that are now pretty near where the runway is. In defense of those who have never been out here in the wintertime, the sign only mentions the fact there is an active runway on the bay, which encompasses a rather large area. There are a few cones out there, perhaps not enough to really define the runway until it gets plowed if there is snow out there.

In any case, I hope the rain this weekend doesn't scuttle the airport this year. They have had some bad luck in the past few years.
Old 01-10-2014, 11:23 AM   #6
Scott's Yott

Default Question about runway

I am curious as to why the ice runway is created, and what does it do for Alton Bay. Does it attract planes from near and far? or is it just a neat novelty?
Scott's Yott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 11:39 AM   #7
upthesaukee

Default It has been around for several years

Pilots will fly in from near and far. They will fly in and land from New York, Vermont, Ct, PA, NH, and other locations as well.

On President's Day Weekend, many planes will come in and land. Several years ago, it was reported to have over 50 airplanes on the ice at one time. I believe that in recent years, there have been days where there were 100 or more landings, although not all the planes were on the ground at the same time.

Alton's ice runway is the only FAA sanctioned ice runway in the country. It has its own airport designator (B18), and is maintained by volunteers here in Alton. Before any airplanes can land, an FAA inspector comes out and checks out the runway to make sure it is in accordance with the FAA guidelines for this airport.

Typically, airplanes land to the north, coming in over Parker Marine and Gillan Marine. They depart the same direction. After landing, often times the planes will have to turn around and taxi back to park between the bandstand in the bay and Gillen's.

And as final note, it is also a seaplane runway in the summer, or at least with no ice on the bay. Occasionally, a seaplane will land, but traffic in the bay gets a little interesting.

The businesses in the bay get quite a bit of business from the pilots and their passengers, and they are always willing to talk to you about where they came from and what it is like to land on ice.

There are UTube videos...search Alton Bay Ice Runway..

Thanks for your interest.
mikea (01-10-2014), MissSmall (01-11-2014), trfour (01-11-2014)
Old 01-10-2014, 12:01 PM   #8
Scott's Yott

Great info ...Thanx
Scott's Yott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 03:21 PM   #9
Brad Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott's Yott View Post
I am curious as to why the ice runway is created, and what does it do for Alton Bay. Does it attract planes from near and far? or is it just a neat novelty?
I hope to fly up from Virginia and spend the weekend. Landing on a frozen lake is an experience we don't get to enjoy down this way. I've been hearing tales of Alton Bay Ice Runway for years from NE flyers and simply must check it out for myself.

Brad
Brad Z is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Brad Z For This Useful Post:
riverat (01-10-2014), trfour (01-11-2014), upthesaukee (01-10-2014)
Old 01-10-2014, 05:40 PM   #10
RLW

Smile

Brad Z, I just noticed that you are fairly new to posting on the forum and glad you have joined us. Have fun and enjoy the Winni Forum while making many new friends.

Great!!!! We will be looking for ya and I'm sure you will enjoy the comrade here in the Bay

Brad Z (01-17-2014)
Old 01-17-2014, 05:22 PM   #11
rscalzo

Flew up there today with a friend who mentioned it. I never knew it was an actual runway. years ago ice diving we saw a plane land but I thought they were just trying it for the fun of it.

Im was surprised at the spots with open water this late.
rscalzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 05:59 PM   #12
RLW

Smile

rscalzo, I just noticed that you are fairly new to posting on the forum and glad you have joined us. Have fun and enjoy the Winni Forum while making many new friends.

Thanks for coming into the forum. Hope that you come up for the fly in as we would love to see you and it is a good chance to meet many of your counter parts with wings on their chests.

Old 01-17-2014, 06:48 PM   #13
NoBozo

There used to be a NICE WebCam overlooking the lower end of Alton Bay. You could PAN the camera. What happened to that... NB

PS: The "Mount Cam": Has been OUT for Five weeks. Whats up with that.....Just wonderin...NB
NoBozo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 08:28 PM   #14
RLW

Unhappy

It has gone down the tubes as has the business that had it. The real state company is seeing some hard times and many of the sales people have left and gone to Wolfeboro and they said upon leaving many months ago that the system was down and most likely would be the very last thing that got repaired and/or continued to operate at all.
Old 01-17-2014, 10:43 PM   #15
thistleb

Topic has me thinking of something very stupid that I did as a kid. Been coming to to Alton since 1976 when my grandparents built the house I have recently been so fortunate to buy. In the late 80's I was up for New Years with friends and we thought it would be fun to drive out on the ice. At that time I guess I didn't know about the run way, which was strange, but I ended up with my dads truck on its side in the middle of the run way! You can imagine my mindset as me and my buddies are trying to roll the truck back on its wheels when a guy yells from an ice house , "do you know you are on a runway"!! We got the truck up and out of there quick!! Thank god there was no cell phone cameras and you tube back then.
thistleb is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to thistleb For This Useful Post:
secondcurve (01-23-2014)
Old 01-23-2014, 04:05 PM   #16
Slickcraft

Thanked 2,002 Times in 915 Posts

Nice to see it open. Looks like good conditions.
Attached Images

Slickcraft is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Slickcraft For This Useful Post:
Cindido (01-24-2014), ghfromaltonbay (01-23-2014), Jeanzb1 (02-04-2014), mikea (01-23-2014), trfour (01-23-2014)
Old 01-23-2014, 05:53 PM   #17
upthesaukee

Default runway is all ice.

Paul has plowed out a taxiway on the east side of the runway. Runway itself is a little rough in spots from use of the area when it was soft from rain and warm weather, but not real bad. Also, a few ice holes were drilled, but they seemed to freeze over ok.

It is great to see it open, and hopefully the weather will cooperate through President's Day weekend. Fingers are crossed here.
Old 01-24-2014, 09:48 AM   #18
joann721

Default question about the runway

My Dad is in his 90's and he loves coming up to see the planes. Are there specific weeks that it is open, I know it depends on ice conditions, but now that it is open does it stay open or is it only open at specific times.

We want to drive him up for the day to see it again so we want to make sure we come at the right time..

Frustration is trying to find my glasses without my glasses.
joann721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 10:10 AM   #19
upthesaukee

Default It all depends on the ice conditions.

Right now the ice is just that: ice. It would be very slippery to try to walk on, unless you have grippers that go on over your shoes (boots).

With that being said, the runway is open daylight hours. You can park in the parking lot by Shibley's at the pier and the bandstand, and if you are lucky, get a spot on the water side of the parking lot.

Warm temps that soften the ice, rain, wet snow, etc can all create a problem where they may find the need to close the runway, either for a short term, or for the rest of the season.

Looking at the long range forecast, tomorrow is forecasted to be around 30 for a high, with scattered snow showers. May not be a great day to see planes. Sunday is supposed to be windy, with the forecasted winds from the west southwest at around 20 MPH. This would make for almost a direct crosswind, and again, may not be conducive to good landing conditions at the airport. Long range ends up being pretty nice through next Sunday. Of course, this being New England, it is all subject to change.
Old 01-24-2014, 05:47 PM   #20
riverat

Quote:
Originally Posted by joann721 View Post
My Dad is in his 90's and he loves coming up to see the planes. Are there specific weeks that it is open, I know it depends on ice conditions, but now that it is open does it stay open or is it only open at specific times.

We want to drive him up for the day to see it again so we want to make sure we come at the right time..
Feb 16th is the Alton Winter Carnival and there is also a fly-in on the same day and normally lots of planes and helicopters. see this link - http://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/...ad.php?t=16983
mikea (01-25-2014)
Old 03-10-2014, 09:54 AM   #21
Brad Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Z View Post
I hope to fly up from Virginia and spend the weekend. Landing on a frozen lake is an experience we don't get to enjoy down this way. I've been hearing tales of Alton Bay Ice Runway for years from NE flyers and simply must check it out for myself.

Brad
After a three hour flight, I finally made it up on Saturday. What a great time I had! Everyone was so friendly. I never felt so welcomed to pop in somewhere on a Saturday afternoon. Lunch at Shibley's was very good too.

Here's my obligatory video:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=RMKuUb3lO0k

And a better quality video from a guy who landed literally right after me...

http://youtu.be/_OPuM7Q2M4M

Now I'm really wanting to get a hold of some floats so I can come back up in the summer. Alton Bay is a neat little spot.

Brad N182V
Brad Z is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Brad Z For This Useful Post:
Cindido (03-10-2014), ishoot308 (03-10-2014), riverat (03-10-2014), Slickcraft (03-10-2014), upthesaukee (03-10-2014)
Old 03-10-2014, 10:34 AM   #22
upthesaukee

Thumbs up Nice videos, Brad.

In the shorter video, when you rolled out on downwind, you were just about over my house, just a little south of it.

Nice videos.
Brad Z (04-03-2014)
Old 03-10-2014, 10:52 AM   #23
Rusty

When they finally got parked the pilot said: "Don't worry Dude we're not the usual".

I wonder what he meant by that? Are there some unusual planes that fly into Alton Bay?
Old 03-10-2014, 12:44 PM   #24
NoBozo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
When they finally got parked the pilot said: "Don't worry Dude we're not the usual".

I wonder what he meant by that? Are there some unusual planes that fly into Alton Bay?
IF that Cirrus Aircraft that he's flying is an SR22, it's valued at quite a bit more than the average plane landing at Alton..@ $765,000. NB

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cirrus_SR22

PS: Actually I think it might be an SR20 @ only $320,000.
Old 03-10-2014, 01:10 PM   #25
Rusty

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoBozo View Post
IF that Cirrus Aircraft that he's flying is an SR22, it's valued at quite a bit more than the average plane landing at Alton..@ $765,000. NB

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cirrus_SR22
The plane is more valuable so they aren't the usual cheap plane that lands there. Nice.

Just before they parked their plane this is what the conversation was about between (I assume) the pilot and passenger:

Pilot: “You F**king smoking crack”

Passanger: “There going to push us around”

Pilot: “I get F**king tired of that”

Pilot: “Don't worry Dude we're not the usual”
Old 03-10-2014, 01:31 PM   #26
upthesaukee

Default another crash just a little while ago.

No injuries, 3 persons on board. no other info at this time.
Cindido (03-10-2014), riverat (03-10-2014)
Old 06-11-2014, 04:20 PM   #27
Steveo

Default New SR22 crash

This one crashed in Burlington, MA. Had and deployed on board parachute:

http://bostonherald.com/news_opinion..._in_burlington
Steveo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 04:59 PM   #28
NoBozo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Z View Post
Now I'm really wanting to get a hold of some floats so I can come back up in the summer. Alton Bay is a neat little spot.

Brad N182V
Hi Brad: Great Video: I'm guessing that Floats are not an option for the Cirrus.....but I'll bet they would work on say..a Cessna 182..... NB
The Following User Says Thank You to NoBozo For This Useful Post:
Brad Z (04-03-2014)
Old 03-10-2014, 05:01 PM   #29
Lakeboater

MUR just had tease for the story coming up on 6 pm news
Lakeboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 05:28 PM   #30
Cindido

Default Brad's Video

Hi Brad -

Excellent video! Nice meeting you and your furry friend (Baxter?) on Saturday. My husband and I have some great photos of you two (if the ones I took on your iPhone are insufficient). If you'd like them PM us with your email and we'll forward them. Glad you enjoyed your visit to Alton Bay !!
Cindido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 05:34 PM   #31
upthesaukee

Default from the article on WMUR.com ....

It said he was landing. I would guess he was landing on rwy 19, heading toward Gillan's, and from the skid marks at the end of the runway, looks like he skidded off the end of the runway into the snow bank.

A Cirrus' wings cannot be easily removed, so it will be interesting to see how they remove it and transport it.

Glad no one was hurt.
Old 03-10-2014, 06:07 PM   #32
NoBozo

Default The China Connection

Apparently the Cirrus Aircraft Corporation is one of the best selling general aviation aircraft in the world in recent years. Started in America....and now owned by the "Government Of The Peoples Republic of China" NB

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cirrus_Aircraft
Old 03-10-2014, 06:40 PM   #33
RailroadJoe

Isn't that just ducky?
RailroadJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 08:33 PM   #34
SunsetPointWentworth

Not to be a smartass. (OK, it is to be a smartass) But, at the very end of the second video of the planes landing and taking off. It's not "Yee haw Chesters dead". His call sign was Jester.

SunsetPointWentworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 10:59 AM   #35
NoBozo

Default Mondays Crash at Alton.

Google WMUR News/Plane Crash for a video report of the Cirrus SR-22 crash at Alton. I tried linking to the report but it was not successful. NB

Try Again: http://www.wmur.com/news/plane-crash...n-bay/24910512
Old 03-11-2014, 11:47 AM   #36
upthesaukee

Default good news, in more ways than one.

We passed the experimental aircraft being hauled away on a flatbed truck. Then we went by the end of the bay and saw the Cirrus had been removed from the snowbank at the end of the runway. It is now parked in the parking area of the airport. So the runway should be open now, and that's a good thing. In fact, we just heard a plane, sounding like it had just taken off.

Second good thing is the planes have been removed before the bad weather comes in Wednesday into Thursday, and that is a second good thing. Would hate to try to move the airplanes after 6-14 inches or whatever amount we are getting.
Old 03-11-2014, 12:08 PM   #37
NoBozo

Quote:
We passed the experimental aircraft being hauled away on a flatbed truck. Then we went by the end of the bay and saw the Cirrus had been removed from the snowbank at the end of the runway. It is now parked in the parking area of the airport. So the runway should be open now, and that's a good thing. In fact, we just heard a plane, sounding like it had just taken off.

Second good thing is the planes have been removed before the bad weather comes in Wednesday into Thursday, and that is a second good thing. Would hate to try to move the airplanes after 6-14 inches or whatever amount we are getting.
Are you suggesting that the Cirrus wasn't damaged, and has now flown away..? If true that is Great News. I wonder if the FAA NTSB ever showed up to have a look. I'm going to guess that if there was no damage affecting airworthiness, there would be "No Incident." NB
Old 01-10-2014, 01:03 PM   #38
riverat

Quote:

Thats Great! Was hoping to get out today but my back still won't allow me the pleasure. and by the looks of the weather I probably cannot make it until sunday or monday. but sounds great.
Old 02-18-2014, 02:50 PM   #39
Sky-Hawk

Smile B-18 Alton Bay Ice Runway

I flew onto Alton Bay on January 31st, landed, had a delightful lunch, talked with Donna Marie Comeau at Facets where I was given a certificate that stated that I was crazy enough to fly from Philadephia (Pottstown actually) just to land at Alton Bay. I have been watching this activity for four or more years, but this is the first time my schedule, the weather, the ice, and the airplane were all in the "go" mode.
I am a private pilot with 500 hours of flying time, and flew Piper Archer N4306B in to a smooth landing. I also happen to have spent two of the best years of my youth at Belknap College in Center Harbor way back in the '60's.
My reason for saying all this is to preface my saying "Thank you" to Paul and all the volunteers who work with the State of New Hampshire and the FAA to keep B18 open in the winter. My Thanks also to Donna Marie and Paul for listening to all those phone calls that come in.
I flew up last October and landed on a normal runway at Laconia so my wife and I could attend a reunion at Center Harbor and Meredith for Belknap. The College may be gone, but the Spirit is great.
One year, I hope to make it to the Alton Winter Festival. Thanks
Mike
Sky-Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sky-Hawk For This Useful Post:
Slickcraft (02-18-2014)
Old 02-18-2014, 03:06 PM   #40
upthesaukee

Default Welcome to the Forum, Skyhawk...

Glad you had a chance to make it up to B18 and enjoyed your day.

Paul, I'm sure, would tell you that just hearing "thanks" is good enough for him. It has become a labor of love for him and the others, and hearing from the pilots how much they enjoyed coming up is great.

Maybe you can make it back in again this year.
Old 02-18-2014, 03:13 PM   #41
RLW

Smile Welcome

Sky-Hawk, I just noticed that you are fairly new to posting on the forum and glad you have joined us. Have fun and enjoy the Winni Forum while making many new friends.

Thanks for your input and I for one is very happy to hear you enjoyed the ice runway as it is people like you coming make it a success and helps the economy for the small business people. Again thanks for joining in on the forum and your input for the ice runway.

Last edited by RLW; 02-18-2014 at 03:16 PM. Reason: corrections
RLW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 04:39 PM   #42
8gv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky-Hawk View Post
I flew onto Alton Bay on January 31st, landed, had a delightful lunch, talked with Donna Marie Comeau at Facets where I was given a certificate that stated that I was crazy enough to fly from Philadephia (Pottstown actually) just to land at Alton Bay. I have been watching this activity for four or more years, but this is the first time my schedule, the weather, the ice, and the airplane were all in the "go" mode.
I am a private pilot with 500 hours of flying time, and flew Piper Archer N4306B in to a smooth landing. I also happen to have spent two of the best years of my youth at Belknap College in Center Harbor way back in the '60's.
My reason for saying all this is to preface my saying "Thank you" to Paul and all the volunteers who work with the State of New Hampshire and the FAA to keep B18 open in the winter. My Thanks also to Donna Marie and Paul for listening to all those phone calls that come in.
I flew up last October and landed on a normal runway at Laconia so my wife and I could attend a reunion at Center Harbor and Meredith for Belknap. The College may be gone, but the Spirit is great.
One year, I hope to make it to the Alton Winter Festival. Thanks
Mike
Hey Mike, fly on up to LCI this August and I'll take you out in one of the smallest boats on the lake. PTW is my fuel stop from BAF to OFP where my mother lives. There are some pretty birds in the main hangar at PTW. You may have seen me there with my Diamond DA-20. I'm the guy running like hell to the restroom.

To keep this ice runway related...

Sorry guys but I can only steer on the ground with differential braking and as such I'm too timid to land at B18.
8gv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 02:19 PM   #43
upthesaukee

Default Here's a picture...

Looks like the plane went into the snowbank while on the ground, perhaps a brake locked up.
Attached Images

riverat (03-10-2014)
Old 03-10-2014, 03:44 PM   #44
Lakeboater

We just came through the bay and it looked like WMUR was out on the ice filming a story on the second plane. Will have to check the news tonight.
Lakeboater is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lakeboater For This Useful Post:
upthesaukee (03-10-2014)
Old 03-10-2014, 04:45 PM   #45
NoBozo

My Disaplined and Practiced Aircraft ID Mode... suggests that plane may be a Cirrus. As indicated earlier..not an inexpensive aircraft...and this guy will NOT be allowed to do his own work. NB
Old 03-11-2014, 05:03 PM   #46
upthesaukee

I noticed some standing water out there this afternoon. Maybe that's why.

Sent from my GT-P5210 using Tapatalk
Old 03-11-2014, 06:29 PM   #47
NoBozo

Default Hey UP

For some reason I seem to think you may be a Pilot. If So: YOU need to go out on the ICE and Inspect the Cirrus Aircraft. It's the RIGHT thing to do. Is the plane sitting upright on it's landing gear..and LEVEL..anything Bent ?

Run your hands up and down the blades of the propeller. Look for Dings or BENT aluminum. I seem to think the props on the Cirrus may be Composite..(Carbon Fiber Epoxy). If you find ragged edges on either type of prop... That might indicate a "Prop Strike" ... and this situation would require grounding the aircraft.

It would appear that this plane is NOT an SR22T. So would only be valued at maybe $660,000. NB
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to NoBozo For This Useful Post:
Old 03-11-2014, 07:14 PM   #48
Rusty

Quote:
For some reason I seem to think you may be a Pilot. If So: YOU need to go out on the ICE and Inspect the Cirrus Aircraft. It's the RIGHT thing to do. Is the plane sitting upright on it's landing gear..and LEVEL..anything Bent ?

Run your hands up and down the blades of the propeller. Look for Dings or BENT aluminum. I seem to think the props on the Cirrus may be Composite..(Carbon Fiber Epoxy). If you find ragged edges on either type of prop... That might indicate a "Prop Strike" ... and this situation would require grounding the aircraft.

It would appear that this plane is NOT an SR22T. So would only be valued at maybe $660,000. NB
You left the most important part out of your inspection:

Get in the cockpit and start her up...listen to the purr of the Continental IO-550-N 310 HP Engine.
NoBozo (03-12-2014)
Old 03-11-2014, 09:17 PM   #49
8gv

I have a Continental I0-240-B. It does not purr. It is efficient though. So far in 400 hours of operation it's burned an average of 5.6 gph.
The Following User Says Thank You to 8gv For This Useful Post:
Old 03-11-2014, 09:22 PM   #50
upthesaukee

Default NB: nope...not a pilot...

When I was stationed up in AK when I first went into the USAF, they had an aero club who gave flight lessons. I had enough money to get married (just barely) or learn to fly. Still have the wife after 43 years, still don't know how to fly.

However, I was an air traffic controller for over 14 years, 8 USAF and 6+ with the FAA. Hence, a little knowledge about aviation... probably enough to get myself into trouble, and maybe get myself out of it.

If it was up to me, like Rusty said, crank it up. If the engine runs smooth, taxi for a bit and if it doesn't bounce around like a 53 Chev pickup with a flat tire, set the transponder to 1200, give a holler on 122.8 and give it a go. Heck, Lawrence Muni can't be that far away, right?

(Did I just make a post that sounded like FLL wrote it???? Oh my gawd!!!!)
NoBozo (03-12-2014)
Old 03-11-2014, 10:02 PM   #51
8gv

43 years of marriage vs 43 years of flying...

The cost is the same.

I think you chose wisely.
Old 03-11-2014, 11:08 PM   #52
Legionnaire70

After an up close look at it on Tuesday, all 3 prop blades are bent, the right wing and landing gear have severe damage and the wing is currently resting on a saw horse. This plane will be leaving only one way, on a flat bed like the last one..
Legionnaire70 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Legionnaire70 For This Useful Post:
NoBozo (03-12-2014)
Old 03-12-2014, 12:00 PM   #53
Happy Gourmand

A prop strike means a complete engine overhaul. $$$$$$$$$$$$
Happy Gourmand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 06:04 PM   #54
NoBozo

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Phantom Gourmand View Post
That would be about $27,900 at the going rate for that engine. NB
Old 03-12-2014, 07:05 PM   #55
NoBozo

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Phantom Gourmand View Post
Here's the reason for that. When the Prop strikes something solid..the engine and all it's reciprocating parts come to a Complete Halt in an instant. Things like piston connecting rods may BEND. We won't actually know what damage has been done....SO: We have to do a complete Tear Down to find out. NB
Old 03-12-2014, 07:10 PM   #56
NoBozo

Default Then and Now

I got my PPL in June 1988. The TOTAL cost to get my PRIVATE Pilot license...including the price of a David Clark Aviation Headset was about $5600. My training spanned about 6 months.

In those days, the airplane (1973 Cessna 172) cost about $69 per hour..WET..that means fuel was included. The flight instructor was about $25 per hour.

Today I did some research at the airport where I got my PPL. (KUUU) Newport, RI.

NOW: The plane rental is $65 per hour. The plane is a Clunky 1970 Piper Cherokee 140. 100LL Fuel NOT included. Fuel cost ..$6.35 per gallon. That plane probably burns 8 GPH. The flight instructor is $117/hour. Results may vary. ....NB
Rusty (03-17-2014)
Old 03-13-2014, 07:07 AM   #57
Happy Gourmand

Quote:
I got my PPL in June 1988. The TOTAL cost to get my PRIVATE Pilot license...including the price of a David Clark Aviation Headset was about $5600. My training spanned about 6 months.

In those days, the airplane (1973 Cessna 172) cost about $69 per hour..WET..that means fuel was included. The flight instructor was about $25 per hour.

Today I did some research at the airport where I got my PPL. (KUUU) Newport, RI.

NOW: The plane rental is $65 per hour. The plane is a Clunky 1970 Piper Cherokee 140. 100LL Fuel NOT included. Fuel cost ..$6.35 per gallon. That plane probably burns 8 GPH. The flight instructor is $117/hour. Results may vary. ....NB
Got my Private in 1970 in a Cessna 150. Commercial in a Cherokee 140 and Instrument rating in a Cherokee 180. I don't recall for certain, but I think the 150 was $30 to $35 per hour WITH the flight instructor. I was working for the FAA at the time. Shortly after getting my ratings, I joined the FAA flying club, Cessna 182, full IFR...paid $10/hr WET including reserve for engine overhaul. Times have changed a bit since then.
Happy Gourmand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 08:11 AM   #58
chipj29

Quote:

My son has taken a number of lessons at Concord Airport. It ends up costing between $200-250 for the hour. We do get a small discount since we are friends with his trainer.
Old 03-14-2014, 04:12 PM   #59
Winni-Retired

Default 1962 cost

I soloed on my 16th birthday out of north central airport in RI, on 31 dec 1962.

My training plane was a top winged Piped Colt, PA-106. The cost was $12.00 per hour solo or $16,00 with instructor... That included fuel

I worked after school packing toys at Hassenfeld Bros (Hasbro -- today) to get money to pay for flight training.

I bet I washed a thousand planes ---or so it seems to earn money or co-pilot seat time as I trained for my private license.

It was sort of odd to have a pilots license but not a drivers licence for most of my junior year in high school... no money to get car insuranc = no drivers licence.

But as a 17 year old high school senior, with a private pilots licence and the ability to rent a pretty new Cherokee 140, I really could offer a different type of Saturday night date.
Winni-Retired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 05:16 PM   #60
NoBozo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winni-Retired View Post
I soloed on my 16th birthday out of north central airport in RI, on 31 dec 1962.

My training plane was a top winged Piped Colt, PA-106. The cost was $12.00 per hour solo or $16,00 with instructor... That included fuel

I worked after school packing toys at Hassenfeld Bros (Hasbro -- today) to get money to pay for flight training.

I bet I washed a thousand planes ---or so it seems to earn money or co-pilot seat time as I trained for my private license.

It was sort of odd to have a pilots license but not a drivers licence for most of my junior year in high school... no money to get car insuranc = no drivers licence.

But as a 17 year old high school senior, with a private pilots licence and the ability to rent a pretty new Cherokee 140, I really could offer a different type of Saturday night date.
I took my "FAA Check Ride" with Gene Bulicki (SP) out of North Central. He was probably +/- 65 years old at that time. He was tough. He would tell me to do a certain maneuver ...and I would do it....I was totally confident I had done it correctly. Out of the corner of my eye I could see him shaking his head from side to side, As IN..are you serious..?? I passed.
Old 03-14-2014, 06:06 PM   #61
NoBozo

Default The last Maneuver

How could I forget this............OK: Old Age.

We had returned to 2500 feet AGL and in level flight. He told be to put on the "Hood". This was a little device that prevented me from seeing outside the airplane. (Blinders). I could only see the instruments on the panel.

Then he said.... "I Have The Airplane". He then put the airplane in a steep spiraling dive..engine screaming.....like you see in the freakin movies..Then he said..YOU Have The Airplane.....I had to take over and recover. I did. NB

PS: The plane was a Cessna 172.
Rusty (03-17-2014)
Old 03-14-2014, 07:15 PM   #62
8gv

Quote:
How could I forget this............OK: Old Age.

We had returned to 2500 feet AGL and in level flight. He told be to put on the "Hood". This was a little device that prevented me from seeing outside the airplane. (Blinders). I could only see the instruments on the panel.

Then he said.... "I Have The Airplane". He then put the airplane in a steep spiraling dive..engine screaming.....like you see in the freakin movies..Then he said..YOU Have The Airplane.....I had to take over and recover. I did. NB

PS: The plane was a Cessna 172.
2500' is kind of low for that one.
Old 03-14-2014, 07:18 PM   #63
8gv

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipj29 View Post
My son has taken a number of lessons at Concord Airport. It ends up costing between $200-250 for the hour. We do get a small discount since we are friends with his trainer.
That sounds high unless he's training in a Bo or Cirrus.
Old 03-14-2014, 07:30 PM   #64
RLW

Smile

Question: How the heck did we get onto flying instructions and the cost of same from the Ice airport 2014.
RailroadJoe (03-15-2014)
Old 03-14-2014, 08:42 PM   #65
8gv

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLW View Post
Question: How the heck did we get onto flying instructions and the cost of same from the Ice airport 2014.
The segues were invisible but here's how it went:

Landing on ice runway is cool...

To acquire the skill necessary to do this cool thing pilots had to go through rigorous and expensive training...

There were two boo boos on the ice recently...

That brings in to question the mistakes that pilots, who are human, can make...

The presumptive level of experience and training (both primary and subsequent) come to mind when pics of the broken birds are posted...

And it's been a long enough, rough enough, winter for Internet hangar flying to infiltrate the Winne Forum.

But...

If this explanation is not sufficient, consider this little joke:

Q..."How can you tell if a guy is a pilot within five minutes of meeting him?"

A..."He will TELL you."

NoBozo (03-15-2014)
Old 03-15-2014, 06:39 PM   #66
NoBozo

Default Just to Agrivate RLE

For the Grand Finale of my FAA Check Ride with Gene Bulicki (SP) ..he made me land at (PVD) Providence..a Major "Controlled Airport" .

I did NOT get to land on the upwind runway where all the Airliners were landing INTO the wind. Runway 5/23 (Which I could Have). I got to land with a 15 knot crosswind on Runway 16/34. It was a Crab/Straighten Out touchdown. I did good.....Gene said.."That was a good landing." I became a "Certificated" Private Pilot. NB

PS: Alton Ice Airport is about FLYING....NO..??
Rusty (03-17-2014)
Old 03-15-2014, 07:11 PM   #67
upthesaukee

Default With all due respect to your question : No

Quote:
For the Grand Finale of my FAA Check Ride with Gene Bulicki (SP) ..he made me land at (PVD) Providence..a Major "Controlled Airport" .

I did NOT get to land on the upwind runway where all the Airliners were landing INTO the wind. 5/23 (Which I could Have). I got to land with a 15 knot crosswind on 16/34. It was a Crab/Straighten Out touchdown. I did good.....Gene said.."That was a good landing." I became a "Certificated" Private Pilot. NB

PS: Alton Ice Airport is about Flying....NO..??

Is this thread about flying. No. It is about the Alton Ice Runway and its operation. For someone to give info about the experimental aspects of the plane that crashed, or about Cirrus, well that is instructional to me and may add to the thread.

To find out someone took their check ride at PVD, or the cost of flying to get one's private pilot's license, or something about flying that doesn't have anything to do with B18, well, to me, it is not relative to this thread or this website.

JMHO
gillygirl (03-16-2014), Just Sold (03-16-2014), RLW (03-15-2014)
Old 03-15-2014, 07:15 PM   #68
NoBozo

Quote:
[/COLOR]

Is this thread about flying. No. It is about the Alton Ice Runway and its operation. For someone to give info about the experimental aspects of the plane that crashed, or about Cirrus, well that is instructional to me and may add to the thread.

To find out someone took their check ride at PVD, or the cost of flying to get one's private pilot's license, or something about flying that doesn't have anything to do with B18, well, to me, it is not relative to this thread or this website.

JMHO

I'll PASS on your comment. Bye Bye...NB
Old 03-16-2014, 10:30 AM   #69
Rusty

Quote:
[/COLOR]

JMHO
Does making comments like that make you feel better? Jeeeeeez relax!

I've seen where someone will post about taking a boat ride and the thread will turn into getting your boating certificate to replacing the engine.
Forums are just that way and this one isn't any different.
minni on winni (03-21-2014), secondcurve (03-17-2014), upthesaukee (03-16-2014)
Old 03-16-2014, 01:45 PM   #70
RLW

Smile

It appears that there are only 5 members that are starting to get their tail feathers up and talking about something that doesn't deal with the Alton Ice Run way out of 12888 viewers. I for one am not in the least bit interested in who has so many hours flying, where they took their lesson and the cost of same and etc.. My interest is in the fun to view the planes coming and going on the ice runway and the economy that it helps the local businesses from people coming to see the activities on the ice.

Just this ole geezers 2¢’s

I second & third this comment: ""To find out someone took their check ride at PVD, or the cost of flying to get one's private pilot's license, or something about flying that doesn't have anything to do with B18, well, to me, it is not relative to this thread or this website"".

Last edited by RLW; 03-17-2014 at 10:46 AM.
RLW is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to RLW For This Useful Post:
Barney Bear (03-16-2014), gillygirl (03-17-2014), trfour (03-17-2014), Winnisquamguy (03-17-2014)
Old 03-16-2014, 10:19 PM   #71
Legionnaire70

Only saw 2 planes land today... Sad, I enjoy seeing them on the weekends. One plane landed and was having trouble getting turned around once on the ice.. Wind was bad, he got back off but struggled.
Old 03-17-2014, 10:51 AM   #72
RLW

Smile

I haven't been to the bay for the last few days and am wondering if the sun has made it a bit more difficult for lake activities do to melting from the sun?? I have noticed coming down the mountain that seems to have more ice spots all around the lake. Is what I'm seeing actually ice spots???
Old 03-17-2014, 06:55 PM   #73
secondcurve

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLW View Post
It appears that there are only 5 members that are starting to get their tail feathers up and talking about something that doesn't deal with the Alton Ice Run way out of 12888 viewers. I for one am not in the least bit interested in who has so many hours flying, where they took their lesson and the cost of same and etc.. My interest is in the fun to view the planes coming and going on the ice runway and the economy that it helps the local businesses from people coming to see the activities on the ice.

Just this ole geezers 2¢’s

I second & third this comment: ""To find out someone took their check ride at PVD, or the cost of flying to get one's private pilot's license, or something about flying that doesn't have anything to do with B18, well, to me, it is not relative to this thread or this website"".
I for one found the information about the various members' flying backgrounds quite interesting and a nice aside to the thread. I don't think there is anything wrong with members taking a thread off-track in a civil and productive manner. You'll have to add another viewer to those interested in the pilot talk. That makes 6 of us out of 12888.............By the way, how were you able to calculate the numbers so precisely?
secondcurve is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to secondcurve For This Useful Post:
chipj29 (03-18-2014), christo1 (03-20-2014), Diana (03-20-2014), Happy Gourmand (03-18-2014), jmen24 (03-18-2014), minni on winni (03-21-2014), Pineedles (03-18-2014), ronc4424 (03-19-2014), Ropetow (03-19-2014), Rusty (03-17-2014), TiltonBB (03-20-2014)
Old 03-19-2014, 04:45 PM   #74
Legionnaire70

I heard the plane that's sitting in Bay may need to be hauled off by air...to hard to dismantle the wings. I see $$ Signs for the owner if this is the case..
Old 03-20-2014, 06:52 PM   #75
NoBozo

Quote:
Originally Posted by secondcurve View Post
I for one found the information about the various members' flying backgrounds quite interesting and a nice aside to the thread. I don't think there is anything wrong with members taking a thread off-track in a civil and productive manner. You'll have to add another viewer to those interested in the pilot talk. That makes 6 of us out of 12888.............By the way, how were you able to calculate the numbers so precisely?
Thanks Secondcurve for your support and perspective. It seems that others share your view as well. Initially I was taken aback by the response from two well known forum members...Totally Unexpected. NB
Rusty (03-20-2014)
Old 03-14-2014, 07:32 PM   #76
Winni-Retired

Default How true

I trained with Gene..... You are correct he could scare the life out of you .... But he was really just trying to keep the life you had. He tore my head off on a
720 turn, because I dropped over a hundred feet in the turn. Yelling at me that I was trying to tear the wings off his aircraft. 50 plus years later and many turns on a point. I never .... never lost more than 100 feet in altitude ever again. Your comments on the HOOD will give my nightmare tonight for sure
Winni-Retired is offline   Reply With Quote