Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Snowmobiling
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 12-19-2010, 10:46 AM   #1
Old Hubbard Rd

Default Headsets

Hello,
Need your help. I want to get headsets to wear in my helmet while snowmobiling. I need whatever someone has for suggestions or advice. I would use this to speak to a person riding in our group but on a separate sled. thanks
Old Hubbard Rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 06:54 AM   #2
Belmont Resident

Default Check with dealers.

I’d talk to the dealers and see what’s offered, then check on line with say Amazon.com.
But shop around; you would be surprised what the mark ups are at now.
Belmont Resident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 10:04 AM   #3
chipj29

Whatever you do, don't go cheap. You definately get what you pay for. The cheaper sets will give you a lot of background noise. On the voice activated models, many of the cheap ones will hear the background engine noise and keep the mic open.

Although I don't own one, I have heard only good things about the Collett Communicators.
http://www.collett.mb.ca/
Old 12-20-2010, 11:06 AM   #4
Skip

Default Collett Communicators

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipj29 View Post
Whatever you do, don't go cheap. You definately get what you pay for. The cheaper sets will give you a lot of background noise. On the voice activated models, many of the cheap ones will hear the background engine noise and keep the mic open.

Although I don't own one, I have heard only good things about the Collett Communicators.
Chip is correct.

I have used the FRS radios with headsets, and the FRS helmet mounted headsets.

Then I went with the Collett communicators about five years and have never regretted the decision. They hold up the best, intereference is at a minimum at 900 mhz and a lot of folks have them out there on the "common" channel. As an addttional bonus more & more groomers are transmitting a "groomer beacon" signal. Collett is the only communicator that can receive this alert and warn you that a groomer is nearby.

I just bought the newest model that has bluetooth capability. It allows me to use my cell phone or stream music from my player. But I use it to access (via a blue tooth adapter) my commercial two way motorola portable radio I usually have with me.

You get what you pay for. The Colletts are the most rugged, best range and easiest to set up, even for a novice. Plus they have great customer and repair service.

Hey, if my wife can figure it out (much to my chagrin at times) it has to be simple and easy to use!
Skip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 01:58 PM   #5
hazelnut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Hubbard Rd View Post
Hello,
Need your help. I want to get headsets to wear in my helmet while snowmobiling. I need whatever someone has for suggestions or advice. I would use this to speak to a person riding in our group but on a separate sled. thanks
You really want to talk to EricP that much on the trails OHR?

Let me know what you find out I'd like to look into it as well.
hazelnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-20-2010, 02:15 PM   #6
ishoot308

Thanked 4,959 Times in 1,924 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip View Post
Chip is correct.

I have used the FRS radios with headsets, and the FRS helmet mounted headsets.

Then I went with the Collett communicators about five years and have never regretted the decision. They hold up the best, intereference is at a minimum at 900 mhz and a lot of folks have them out there on the "common" channel. As an addttional bonus more & more groomers are transmitting a "groomer beacon" signal. Collett is the only communicator that can receive this alert and warn you that a groomer is nearby.

I just bought the newest model that has bluetooth capability. It allows me to use my cell phone or stream music from my player. But I use it to access (via a blue tooth adapter) my commercial two way motorola portable radio I usually have with me.

You get what you pay for. The Colletts are the most rugged, best range and easiest to set up, even for a novice. Plus they have great customer and repair service.

Hey, if my wife can figure it out (much to my chagrin at times) it has to be simple and easy to use!
Skip;

I too have heard that these are the best and will most likely be buying some.

Are the Colletts sold individually or in pairs?? Do they mount inside your helmet??

Thanks!

Dan
ishoot308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 02:21 PM   #7
Skip

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishoot308 View Post
Skip;

I too have heard that these are the best and will most likely be buying some.

Are the Colletts sold individually or in pairs?? Do they mount inside your helmet??

Thanks!

Dan
They are sold individually. Each has a common channel (the one I usually stay on for the groomer beacon feature) and at least one other channel you can specify. When you go to their website you can look up your Club and pick a secondary channel that is exclusive to that particular club, a kind of neat feature for club rides.

The transmitter/receiver mounts on the sie of your helmet with the speakers and voice tube inside your helmet. An external rechargeable battery pack plugs in with a cord much like a helmet shield cord. I always carry the battery in my upper left jacket pocket.

Their website has plenty of pertinent info on the different models and how they attach to the three major helmet types.

Now that I have thme I would never ride without them again. They are particularly helpful in group rides if the leader and tail end charlie have constant comms!
Old 12-20-2010, 04:29 PM   #8
Ryan

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipj29 View Post

How sensitive are the voice activated models? I often sing 80's hair band songs while riding. Can they be accessed easily to turn that function on and off?
Old 12-20-2010, 04:36 PM   #9
Skip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
How sensitive are the voice activated models? I often sing 80's hair band songs while riding. Can they be accessed easily to turn that function on and off?
The Colletts have two large knobs on them that can easily be controlled by a gloved hand. One knob controls headset volume and the other is an adjustment knob for the VOX (voice activated) microphone.

I have found that once you get the system dialed in for you that you seldom have to adjust the VOX.
Old 12-20-2010, 08:09 PM   #10
Old Hubbard Rd

Default 2 way radio

These Collett systems look and sound great but I'll need to get a 3rd job to pay for these things. They are not cheap. I sent a email to the company to ask them to contact me. I would love this system. They have several used one on line and ebay but I think I need the blue tooth version so I can use my ipod/cell phone too. Are there any other uses for these things. I'm trying to substanciate the expense.
Old 12-20-2010, 08:13 PM   #11
Old Hubbard Rd

Default Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelnut View Post
You really want to talk to EricP that much on the trails OHR?

Let me know what you find out I'd like to look into it as well.
Hey Hazel Boy!! I think these things would be useful for our rides. They have some used ones on Ebay but I think we would need the latest, greatest

EricP is talking about selling his sled. You need to talk to him. He needs a dope slap!
Old 12-23-2010, 01:02 PM   #12
Old Hubbard Rd

Default scala rider systems

Anyone have experience with the scala rider systems?? HK Motor Sports recommends this 2 way radio system.