Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Home, Cottage or Land Maintenance
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 08-20-2023, 10:47 AM   #1
TheTimeTraveler

Default Stick Built versus Pre-Fab Garages

I am thinking about adding a one or two car garage to my property and have a few questions from those "in the know". I am now just in the beginning stages of investigating options.

Someone suggested that a prefab structure would be better, faster, and cheaper to put up as opposed to a stick built structure built at the work site.

I assume that either structure would meet or exceed local building codes so my questions are: Is there a huge financial advantage of the prefab structure? How long does it take to install a prefab versus an on site stick built garage? What are the downsides or upsides of electing one over the other?

Are there quality prefab garage structure providers who will sell and install in the Lakes Region area? Do the prefab providers take care of pouring the foundation? Will the prefab folks take care of all the town required permitting process or is that a function of the property owner?

Assuming a prefab garage: Any idea of what the cost would be to purchase and install a one car garage? What about the costs involved for a two car garage?

Thank you for any input!
TheTimeTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2023, 11:19 AM   #2
John Mercier

I will try to go in order.

PreFab is usually panelized. Meaning large sections are panelized in the factory and shipped to site where a crane sets them and workers secure them together.

Less time on-site in the weather, but location features matter... such as room for the crane to operate. There isn't a lot of clean up of construction goods, as that was done in the factory in a more efficient manner.

Stick built in many modern cases still use trusses, so some of the same factors play in. But the crane would not wait on-site for the builder to stud frame and sheath the walls so the crane could lift it into place. It would come after the builder did all that basic work with manual labor and just set the trusses. The builder would need to hoist the roof sheathing and shingles manually, as the crane would return to the factory.

The lead salesperson will coordinate for the foundation if that is your desire... but the permits would be you. The lead salesperson should be able to provide the plans and most of the docs necessary to ease the permitting process in most cases. Some cases will have site issues that will require a trip to the planning commission or even the request for variance.

Lavalley/Middleton has garage plans on line, with the various sizes and options. Once you see one that you like (fits the architecture that you are looking for) contact the local store manager, they can lead you to their salesperson that will confer the costs of the options that you prefer and lead you through the entire process.

http://lavalleys.com/products/garages/
Paste into your search engine.
John Mercier is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to John Mercier For This Useful Post:
TheTimeTraveler (08-20-2023)
Old 08-20-2023, 06:54 PM   #3
bobkatfly

Friend of mine purchased a Lavalley/Middleton garage recently and has been happy with it. I think it's still in the finishing stage and he had a few minor issues but it seems they're being taken care of. I don't know what the costs were but install was fairly quick and I think they also handled the slab install.

Amherst till the big 66 comes (made it!)
Winter Harbor/Mirror Lake till the big guy comes
bobkatfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2023, 01:46 PM   #4
joec

Google SP Rankin Garages. They did my 14x32 in two days and needed 3 hours the third day to do the windows and doors (after the slab was poured). They will do a monolithic slab foundation. That may not work for you depending on how/if you plan to attach it to your house.

They don't do site work if needed.

All the prices and specs are on the website. They worked with me on some of the extras and modifications I needed. I needed 9 foot walls, 9/12 pitch roof, portal framing, upgraded garage door, upgraded roof shingles and I supplied the windows and doors.

They do not do vinyl siding. They do fir T1-11 or Zip sheathing if you want siding or shingles. They may do plywood sheathing. The roof is standard roof rafters.

They do nothing but garages and do 2-3 of them a week.

I'm happy with mine.

Good luck!
joec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2023, 03:20 PM   #5
WinterHarborGuy

Default Pole barn is worth a look

We went through this 7 years ago in NY.

Roughly speaking, our options (building only) were:
*stick built $80K
*prefab $65K
*pole barn $50K

We went pole barn and we are happy. Guy we hired has done 250 of them over 40 years. You save as there is no foundation - you sink the poles, build up the building on the poles, and pour the floor at the end.

24' by 24' with an upstairs (unfinished). We put in lots of bells and whistles (doors/windows that were better than average) and electric added to the cost, but we wanted to keep it under a certain number...
WinterHarborGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-22-2023, 05:26 PM   #6
TheProfessor

Years ago viewed a 3 car free standing garage put up.
Walls came on flat bed truck.
Put up in a day or two.
Lasted about 10 years.
Then a heavy snow storm.
The whole garage imploded/collapsed.

Replaced with a stick built garage.
TheProfessor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2023, 05:49 PM   #7
ishoot308

Thanked 4,943 Times in 1,918 Posts

I have a family member who is well versed in the pre-fab garages / homes and he said to me that the ones manufactured in Canada are the best to get…

FWIW;

Dan
Old 08-23-2023, 06:48 AM   #8
Biggd

Thanked 1,071 Times in 676 Posts

My brother in-law just had a 24'x24' metal garage installed on his lot, on a slab, in Sanbornton for 29K. Just an FYI!
Biggd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2023, 11:21 PM   #9
John Mercier

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheProfessor View Post
Years ago viewed a 3 car free standing garage put up.
Walls came on flat bed truck.
Put up in a day or two.
Lasted about 10 years.
Then a heavy snow storm.
The whole garage imploded/collapsed.

Replaced with a stick built garage.
Mine came the same way in the 90s. Not three bay, but panelized on a flatbed.
Four sides got craned in, then the trusses with the gable ends already sheathed.
It is 2x4 construction with what was originally the pine clad T-111.

A new one would more likely come 2x6 with fir clad T-111, and Simpson hangers, as they no longer build the way they did in the 90s.

Since they roofed it with three tab, when it had to be redone, due to the two layer maximum in my town, I went with metal roof. Had I thought about it I would have extended the eaves on all four sides prior to that... it puts a lot of snow against the sidewalls when the snow lets go.

I also had to upgrade the door, as in the original it came with a wood door with MDF panels; and I vinyl sided it to match the home. But overall... it has done pretty well.
John Mercier is offline   Reply With Quote