Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 06-16-2017, 11:03 AM   #1
shifthappens

Default Hoping for a little assistance

When I decided more than a year ago to relocate to the Laconia area I immediately joined the forum and check-in at least weekly to get an idea of some of the things that go on there. I discovered that there are a great group of members here who share their honest opinions/suggestions to many issues and discoveries covering the area. Being hesitant to post my 'situation' as I'm sure you all have a lot more important things to deal with I decided to give it a shot and ask some of you for a little guidance.

The cost of living where I am living (for the next 2 weeks) has sky-rocketed. i.e. My rent is now $1800/month for a simple 2 bedroom and I pay all utilities. An increase of $6k/year. My son (who just graduated from HS with honors) and I are leaving for Laconia on 30 June. He hopefully will be going off to college in a few months so I will be lving alone after that. It will take about a week to drive cross-country towing a 6x10 trailer with the belongings we wanted to keep. I have booked an 'airbnb' in Boscawen for 1 week starting 7 July. I have been submitting several rental applications in the area for a 1 bedroom but always have the same response 'incufficient income' even though I have excellent recommendations, great credit and no debts but only SS and and a decent savings. I know this is a difficult time to find an affordable apartment given that Summer is just beginning. Earlier this year there were several apartments in the $650-750 range but those have dried up. I plan on filing an application with the Laconia Housing when we arrive for assistance but there is a long waiting list and could take several months before my name comes to the top of the list. I am a retired hotel/resort GM with no crime record, excellent credit in the 800+ range with letters of recommendation re: my character and reputation. Please accept my opolpgy for this lenghty post but I am hoping maybe a member or 2 might know of a contact that would be interested in offering a residence to a very reliable and stable individual.

Thank you for your time and patience in reading this long intoduction.

Regards . . . Vince & Jon
shifthappens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 11:16 AM   #2
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,962 Times in 1,212 Posts

I'm on the Moultonborough side, but I'll keep an eye out. Good luck, friend!

Sent from my XT1528 using Tapatalk
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 11:44 AM   #3
Kamper

Try looking in a town that doesn't actually have lake frontage. The rates will probably be cheaper.
Kamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 11:48 AM   #4
shifthappens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamper View Post
Try looking in a town that doesn't actually have lake frontage. The rates will probably be cheaper.
Thanks Kamper. I've been looking everywhere in the area via craigslist. I know it will be probably be easier once I physically get there. I was hoping someone might know someone who would be interested in reviewing my background and forego all the usual income of 3 times the rent. Thanks for your suggestion.
Old 06-16-2017, 11:50 AM   #5
Descant

Thanked 1,509 Times in 982 Posts
Default Tight housing market in NH

Most of NH has a tight housing market whether renting or buying. It eases somewhat as you move north, but if you are set on Laconia, you may be limited. State law on "Accessory Dwelling Units" as rentals has eased just this year for rental purposes. (used to be "in law apts, only for family members, so renting was a hidden market).

House-sitting sounds like a good solution. Any agencies on the forum have a need for that? What's the best way to approach that market?

I'm not sure what you mean by "decent savings" but when you apply, I'd suggest offering to prepay the rent for a year in advance, or offer to put that amount in a local bank for automatic disbursement each month.
I think there are several "work-arounds" for funding, but you need to take the lead. A landlord with 5 applications in hand doesn't need to chase this stuff down.
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-16-2017, 11:54 AM   #6
shifthappens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Descant View Post
Most of NH has a tight housing market whether renting or buying. It eases somewhat as you move north, but if you are set on Laconia, you may be limited. State law on "Accessory Dwelling Units" as rentals has eased just this year for rental purposes. (used to be "in law apts, only for family members, so renting was a hidden market).

House-sitting sounds like a good solution. Any agencies on the forum have a need for that? What's the best way to approach that market?

I'm not sure what you mean by "decent savings" but when you apply, I'd suggest offering to prepay the rent for a year in advance, or offer to put that amount in a local bank for automatic disbursement each month.
I think there are several "work-arounds" for funding, but you need to take the lead. A landlord with 5 applications in hand doesn't need to chase this stuff down.
Thanks for the advice. I've offered 6 months in advance but no takers or response. My goal is to convince a landlord that I am not a 'usual' deadbeat and have a 100% track record of paying rent on time for many years since my retirement. As for a landlord having several apps I don't think that's so much the problem. The landlord doesn't have the $$$ security of who will pay on time every month. i.e. Normandin Apartments has listed very nice 1 bedroom with heat and hot water for $650/month which is easy for me to pay. But the problem is that I don't have an annual 'income' of $19k so I don't qualify. Here, where I'm moving from, it's credit check and deposit + 1st month. The 'annual' income requirement whether retired or not doesn't seem to matter.
Old 06-17-2017, 04:54 AM   #7
KDL

Have you considered purchasing outright? Right now there are a few single family homes or condos listed for under $100,000 in Laconia. I have no idea what they are like or their locations but the monthly mortgage payment would be less than what your looking to spend for rent. Just a thought.
KDL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 06:43 PM   #8
shifthappens

Quote:
Originally Posted by KDL View Post
Have you considered purchasing outright? Right now there are a few single family homes or condos listed for under $100,000 in Laconia. I have no idea what they are like or their locations but the monthly mortgage payment would be less than what your looking to spend for rent. Just a thought.
Thanks for the option. I'll definitely check out what's available/affordable.
Old 06-18-2017, 03:21 PM   #9
GBGX2

Default Alternatives! Try Rentalutions

This is a website that I use as a landlord but they also assist tenants. I would get away from Craiglist and look at sites like Zillow, etc. I saw several apartments in Laconia under $1,000.00

Here is the link to Rentalutions. https://www.rentalutions.com/tenants

Here is the link to Zillow. https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_ren...mePageTab=rent
GBGX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 05:27 PM   #10
shifthappens

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBGX2 View Post
This is a website that I use as a landlord but they also assist tenants. I would get away from Craiglist and look at sites like Zillow, etc. I saw several apartments in Laconia under $1,000.00

Here is the link to Rentalutions. https://www.rentalutions.com/tenants

Here is the link to Zillow. https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_ren...mePageTab=rent
Thank you for the references.