Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 06-02-2017, 05:52 AM   #1
MikeF-NH

Default Navigating Squam

I will be headed up to Squam for the first time in the end of June for a long anniversary weekend. We plan to explore as much of that lake as possible but for years I have been reading about how dangerous that lake is to navigate with people even saying sometimes they find shallow rocks on the safe side of markers.

I use navionics so I expect to have a decent view of what is coming up and what is under me but I am looking for advice on:
1.) reliable charts for the lake that I can use to become more familiar with the lake without experiencing its rocky dangers
2.) specific ideas of areas on the lakes where any of you have experienced problems or that I should avoid.
MikeF-NH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 07:00 AM   #2
burgerunh

Little Squam is a piece of cake so not much to worry about there. Big Squam is a whole different ball game. Pay attention to your navionics and you should be fine. Stay well clear of the markers.
burgerunh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 07:54 AM   #3
NH.Solar

Big Squam is indeed full of surprises but well worth the effort to figure out. The lake is unspoiled and just plain beautiful. The launch ramp on rte 113 has to be one of the best in the State. Walter's is a short walk from the launch parking area and a great spot to get a bite to eat before heading home.
I did find a rock a little ways eastward of one of the black markers at Hubble's Reef with the bottom of my last boat. Luckily I was standing on the bow drift fishing and it amounted to no more than an alarming thunk. Pay close attention to your charts and navionics, and give the markers a little extra room and you should have no problems.
Here's a couple of links that you might find useful;
http://www.wildlife.state.nh.us/maps...holderness.pdf
http://www.nhnature.org/files/PDF/Wa...%20Islands.pdf
Old 06-02-2017, 01:37 PM   #4
Dave M

Default Boat/PVC

You don't mention whether your bringing boat or PVC. If PVC there are rules for using on Squam(length, # of seats).

Dave M
Dave M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 06:39 AM   #5
MikeF-NH

...bringing my 19' boat Dave.
MikeF-NH is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-03-2017, 07:07 AM   #6
jeffatsquam

Squam is one of the best charted lakes on earth done in the 60's by Bradford Washburn World renowned map maker who had a place on Squam. He was also the curator of the Boston Museum of Science.

You can pick one up at Heath's hardware in center Harbor. or at any place of business in Holderness.
jeffatsquam is offline   Reply With Quote