Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-02-2017, 11:50 AM   #1
Cobalt 25

Default installing Garmin lake-vu chip question(from a dummy)

Just bought the lake-vu chip from Garmin for my 740S chartplotter. Turned on the unit, installed the chip, waited for chip verification to appear on the screen, then pressed BACK, CHARTS, NAVIGATION.

I then scrolled to Winni (from here on the Cape) and did not find any data, such as depths, on the screen.

Am I doing something wrong? Do I need to be on the lake before the data shows up? Also, once I install the chip do I have to reinstall it every time I go to the lake?

thanks,

Peter
Cobalt 25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 04:58 PM   #2
Dave R

I requested a look at the US Lake VU ultra HD chip at West Marine in Portsmouth and was not able to see any meaningful Winnipesakee detail on the display 741XS from there, so it seems like perhaps you need to be on the lake for it to work.

That said...

I recently installed a Canada Lake View Ultra HD in mine and even from NH, I could zoom in on details in Ontario. I would think the same would be true of Winnipesaukee from Cape Cod, but see my first point.

You should not have to install it more than once.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 10:15 PM   #3
Cobalt 25

Found out from Garmin today that my 740S is not compatible with the new 2017 version of lake vu. I need the 2016 version of that chip.

I hope I can exchange the 2017 chip for the older model but if not I may have to put the 2017 model on Craig's List or try to sell it here.
Old 07-04-2017, 04:49 AM   #4
jeffk

Default Or

Or, you can face the inevitable realization that your hardware is outdated and no longer being supported by the latest data being released and never will be and upgrade your chartplotter.
jeffk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 09:09 PM   #5
Cobalt 25

No need to introduce a reasonable response!

I hear you, BUT, the 740 was purchased new in 2013, only 4 years ago! I'd like to get a coupla more years out of it.
Sponsored Links
Old 07-05-2017, 06:12 AM   #6
Rich

Does Garmin have a firmware update available for your unit thst would allow it to use the new charts?

I use Navionics charts in my Raymarine chartplotter, I now feel lucky that they support my 12 year old equipment!
Old 07-05-2017, 08:27 AM   #7
Dave R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobalt 25 View Post
Found out from Garmin today that my 740S is not compatible with the new 2017 version of lake vu. I need the 2016 version of that chip.

I hope I can exchange the 2017 chip for the older model but if not I may have to put the 2017 model on Craig's List or try to sell it here.
Is it the Ultra HD (the one that does auto-routing)?
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 01:20 PM   #8
The Patriot

Default Ray Marine Firefly Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Does Garmin have a firmware update available for your unit thst would allow it to use the new charts?

I use Navionics charts in my Raymarine chartplotter, I now feel lucky that they support my 12 year old equipment!
I just purchased the Firefly pro. The literature tells you all the great things it can do but fails to give you step be step instructions on how to do them & it warns you that if you save things incorrectly you can damage the software. Looking for a friendly site or a mentor who can put up with someone with the anti technology gene.
The Patriot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 01:40 PM   #9
Rattletrap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobalt 25 View Post

I have the 2016 version PM me
Old 07-06-2017, 09:06 AM   #10
Rich

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Patriot View Post
I just purchased the Firefly pro. The literature tells you all the great things it can do but fails to give you step be step instructions on how to do them & it warns you that if you save things incorrectly you can damage the software. Looking for a friendly site or a mentor who can put up with someone with the anti technology gene.
There shouldn't be anything you can do thst can "damage" software. The only thing that can be unsafe is if you don't wait for a firmware update to finish and somehow shut off the power before it is done.

I don't have the unit that you have, but I used to engineer software to update or flash firmware. Consumer devices should be very fool proof, except for a powe off too early which can't be controlled by the manufacturer.
Old 07-06-2017, 09:53 AM   #11
Woodsy

The routinely outdated hardware issue is the reason I switched to an iPad Mini and the Navionics app... I think Garmin also has a Bluechart mobile app that give you all of the chartplotter features on your iPad.

No more "incompatible" issues.

Woodsy
Old 07-06-2017, 10:04 AM   #12
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,962 Times in 1,212 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodsy View Post
The routinely outdated hardware issue is the reason I switched to an iPad Mini and the Navionics app... I think Garmin also has a Bluechart mobile app that give you all of the chartplotter features on your iPad.

No more "incompatible" issues.

Woodsy
Going on the fourth summer with my Garmin--rocks haven't moved. In fact, there are a couple buoys missing that are still on my maps. The other day in Moultonborough Bay I tried to wave down a boat that ended up hitting a rock that a missing buoy once marked.

Sent from my XT1528 using Tapatalk
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 10:18 AM   #13
Woodsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkxingu View Post
Going on the fourth summer with my Garmin--rocks haven't moved. In fact, there are a couple buoys missing that are still on my maps. The other day in Moultonborough Bay I tried to wave down a boat that ended up hitting a rock that a missing buoy once marked.

Yes, because 4 years ago you bought the right chip for that unit. If you buy a boat with an existing GPS, or have a failure (the external GPS antennas seem to fail.. I went thru 2 before I switched to an iPad) you get screwed. You have holes or a cutout in your dash that doesn't fit the newer model.

I am not saying they aren't useful... especially if you are using them in a fishfinder/depth contour application. IMHO an iPad mini in a waterproof case is a more updateable technology for the average boater.

Woodsy
Old 07-06-2017, 10:29 AM   #14
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,962 Times in 1,212 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodsy View Post
Yes, because 4 years ago you bought the right chip for that unit. If you buy a boat with an existing GPS, or have a failure (the external GPS antennas seem to fail.. I went thru 2 before I switched to an iPad) you get screwed. You have holes or a cutout in your dash that doesn't fit the newer model.

I am not saying they aren't useful... especially if you are using them in a fishfinder/depth contour application. IMHO an iPad mini in a waterproof case is a more updateable technology for the average boater.

Woodsy
Agreed on permanent install--I have a Ram mount but for visibility and upgradability. My point was, though, that a good map won't be out of date for a long time--a decade-old Duncan on my camp wall still serves us well.

thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 08:56 AM   #15
Cobalt 25

Default trust

My 2013 Garmin 740S chartplotter ended up being compatible with only ONE chip, the v2016 Lake Vu HD version.

Rattletrap reached out and said he had a chip we thought would work. We met and tried to install it but could not finish the installation. He was under time requirements and could not stay for the final steps. He said keep the chip and send me a check if it works, send me the chip if it doesn't work. The value of the chip was around $100.

Trust. He trusted me to do the right thing. It didn't work because it was the Ultra version, not the HD. I mailed the chip back this morning.

Our nation is divided, we don't seem to trust one another too much any more. It's people like rattletrap that restore our faith in humanity.

Peter
Old 07-18-2017, 09:14 AM   #16
Rich

Some of the Garmin older systems (before an update) can be used with the Bizer chip.

Bizer has a test file on their website, try it on a chip and see if it will work for you. All you need is an SD card.

There is a long to read web page here that describes how to test using the '3islands.zip' file:
http://www.bizer.com/garmin/index.htm
You have to unzip and install these files on a SD card to test it.

Have you tried this yet? If it works, then order the Bizer data.

If the Bizer data works, don't update the firmware on your GPS, as this may make it compatible with the newer Garmin data, but may break the Bizer compatibility.

I looked on the Garmin website and it looks like the current firmware version for the 740S is 4.30 as of about July 2015. Do you have this version already?
Old 07-18-2017, 10:57 AM   #17
Cobalt 25

Yes, Rich, I updated to the 4.30 version.

There seems to be a possibility to get a 2016 HD chip on eBay. There was one that was reasonably priced but got sold before I realized it was actually what I needed.

I will keep checking eBay for a while to see if something comes up. Failing that, I will consider your Bizer test file suggestion. Any idea what the Bizer option would cost?

Thanks for your help-
Old 07-18-2017, 12:16 PM   #18
Rich

The Bizer is easy to test. If you have any SD card now, you can use it. It's easy to test and the instructions are on that web page that I provided in the previous post.

I think it's $110.

I had one in my older Garmin and it worked well.

As long as the third party lockout didn't happen on your device, you should be ok.
Old 08-17-2017, 09:38 PM   #19
Cobalt 25

I think it will be easier for me to stick with the Garmin product since I am very familiar with it already.

I bought a Garmin chip on eBay that clearly showed a pic of 2016 on the package. After waiting over a week for it to arrive in MA from NYC, it was a 2017!

A poster wrote that Fay's had the 2016 version but unfortunately they did not. So, I am still looking for a 2016 US LakeVu chip in the HD configuration, not the Ultra.

Anybody got one?

thanks,

Peter (802) 345-6529