Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Restaurant Information & Reviews
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-18-2017, 08:51 AM   #1
Little Kin

Default Center Harbor Provisions closed

Been driving by all week and no action. Later in the week
heard that they were done. Went there a few times in the
mornings with no complaints. Always a bummer to see this
kinda thing . . .
Little Kin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 10:49 AM   #2
Doobs41378

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Kin View Post
Been driving by all week and no action. Later in the week
heard that they were done. Went there a few times in the
mornings with no complaints. Always a bummer to see this
kinda thing . . .
if true, that didn't take long. Their website doesn't say anything in regards to being closed but they have not had a Facebook post since early December so who knows.
Doobs41378 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 01:58 PM   #3
WINNOCTURN
Deceased Member

Unhappy Not in service

I just tried Their Phone Number

"The number you tried is not in service."

Phone: (603) 253-3333
WINNOCTURN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 02:15 PM   #4
garysanfran

Default Past posts predicted a poor business plan...

Hindsight is 20/20. They had a major competitor in Piccolo Market, just up the street. My observation of both, was that Piccolo was (is) far more prepared for the longer haul and offered (offers) a much better and higher scale choice. Piccolo, sadly, is not very convenient to the Center Harbor docks (Hint! Hint!).

It saddens me, however, to see anyone's dream fall through.
garysanfran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 02:51 PM   #5
WINNOCTURN
Deceased Member

Default FOOT TRAFfIC?

Quote:
Originally Posted by garysanfran View Post
Hindsight is 20/20. They had a major competitor in Piccolo Market, just up the street. My observation of both, was that Piccolo was (is) far more prepared for the longer haul and offered (offers) a much better and higher scale choice. Piccolo, sadly, is not very convenient to the Center Harbor docks (Hint! Hint!).

It saddens me, however, to see anyone's dream fall through.
As for Piccolo's

Would they have the same amount of foot traffic? A lot of people coming and going into that general business area?

Last edited by WINNOCTURN; 02-19-2017 at 08:52 AM.
Sponsored Links
Old 02-18-2017, 04:51 PM   #6
jetlag100

No surprise there, for me. I went in there, looked at the menu's....soup, sandwich, etc..They had no soup. They didn't have the ingredients to make the sandwich, that was clearly on the chalk board....I asked for something, else, I don't remember what is was now, and that was not available....see ya!
jetlag100 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jetlag100 For This Useful Post:
Sully (03-03-2017)
Old 02-18-2017, 06:33 PM   #7
garysanfran

Default Don't know...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WINNOCTURN View Post
As for Piccolo's

Would they have the sane amount of foot traffic? A lot of people coming and going into that general business area?
Provisions would have foot traffic because of Heaths, the docks, True Value hardware, other local businesses and a much higher visibility from Rt. 25 traffic. Piccolo is in a small "mall" area...More of a destination to drive to than a chance notice by passing by.
The Following User Says Thank You to garysanfran For This Useful Post:
SteveO123 (02-21-2017)
Old 02-18-2017, 08:21 PM   #8
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,959 Times in 1,210 Posts

I was so jazzed to see CHP open last year. That is, until all of the workers there threw my buddies and me shade for being upset our three sandwiches took an hour--literally an hour--to ready. Too many places on the way to camp to put up with that.

Sent from my XT1528 using Tapatalk
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to thinkxingu For This Useful Post:
bumble71 (02-18-2017), Sully (03-03-2017)
Old 02-18-2017, 10:30 PM   #9
GTO

Default Very sad

Just heard the news tonight. We had become regulars over the winter at Provisions . A family man with a dream. The guy worked hard and was very accommodating and friendly. Sorry to see this end
Lakemamma (02-20-2017)
Old 02-20-2017, 08:13 AM   #10
stevemax001

I was really shocked and sad to see this place was closed. It became my regular place to go to grab a breakfast sandwich. Lots of gluten free options which are hard to find. The owner was very friendly and eager to provide a quality product. I know the difficulties of starting a business and the closing of one. You can feel pretty defeated in life. I hope Peter picks him self up quickly from this even the greatest entrepreneurs have failures. Chin up and thanks for being a part of my morning ritual.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
stevemax001 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to stevemax001 For This Useful Post:
Lakemamma (02-20-2017)
Old 02-20-2017, 05:25 PM   #11
Lakemamma

Yes this is extremely sad news.... Peter and his family will be missed. We also were regulars and went there once a week. There breakfast and dinners were good and was looking forward to the all cooked food to go this summer. He made the best soups also... We wish Peter and his family only the best. Thank you.....
Lakemamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 06:53 PM   #12
GTO

Default New owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetlag100 View Post
No surprise there, for me. I went in there, looked at the menu's....soup, sandwich, etc..They had no soup. They didn't have the ingredients to make the sandwich, that was clearly on the chalk board....I asked for something, else, I don't remember what is was now, and that was not available....see ya!
Hope you like pork and barbecue ribs. Good source told me that Scott, owner of the Canoe, has bought the building and will open his barbecue menu there.
Old 03-07-2017, 07:10 PM   #13
thinkxingu

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Hope you like pork and barbecue ribs. Good source told me that Scott, owner of the Canoe, has bought the building and will open his barbecue menu there.
This would be GREAT. I just hope the prices will be reasonable. I'd love a reliable takeout place in that area!

The Following User Says Thank You to thinkxingu For This Useful Post:
Sully (03-11-2017)
Old 03-14-2017, 02:11 PM   #14
johnmcrae

The rent us just too high to support a small restaurant especially during the offseason. Same reason that BayGulls moved.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
johnmcrae is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to johnmcrae For This Useful Post:
Bayview Girl (03-16-2017)
Old 03-15-2017, 08:42 AM   #15
Biggd

Thanked 1,068 Times in 673 Posts

Quote:
I don't know what people see in Canoe. I've been there 3 times and I was disappointed all three times with the food and the service. I think I gave them enough of a shot to redeem themselves. I won't ever go back.
Biggd is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Biggd For This Useful Post:
Bayview Girl (03-16-2017)
Old 03-15-2017, 09:48 AM   #16
thinkxingu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggd View Post
I don't know what people see in Canoe. I've been there 3 times and I was disappointed all three times with the food and the service. I think I gave them enough of a shot to redeem themselves. I won't ever go back.
I've seen reviews like this here and there, but it's so weird because we've been in at least ten times in the last couple years and we've been happy literally every time. And I'm always on guard since I always order a fairly expensive entree--$25+--and have soup or an appetizer. I'm the guy who hates--HATES--getting hosed at restaurants.

Old 03-15-2017, 09:53 AM   #17
Doobs41378

We went to Canoe once. It was like 5 and nobody was there. The woman at the desk told us they could seat us at 8:30!
Old 03-15-2017, 10:32 AM   #18
MeredithMan

Default overpriced and a touch arrogant...

This is getting way off topic about Center Harbor Provisions, but I felt compelled to chime in about Canoe. We've been there 2 or 3 times, most recent of which was a couple years ago. The food is good, but WAY overpriced for central NH, in my opinion. If I recall correctly, the NY Sirloin was approaching $30? Throw in the somewhat arrogant hostess, (STRONGLY suggesting that we could not be seated in the dining room because we had "kids"....who were like 15 & 17 at the time, and the older one had her license!), and it makes for a place to which we do not envision returning.
MeredithMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 10:36 AM   #19
HellRaZoR004

I agree about Canoe, been once and will never be back.
HellRaZoR004 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to HellRaZoR004 For This Useful Post:
RTTOOL (03-15-2017)
Old 03-15-2017, 10:47 AM   #20
Doobs41378

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeredithMan View Post
This is getting way off topic about Center Harbor Provisions, but I felt compelled to chime in about Canoe. We've been there 2 or 3 times, most recent of which was a couple years ago. The food is good, but WAY overpriced for central NH, in my opinion. If I recall correctly, the NY Sirloin was approaching $30? Throw in the somewhat arrogant hostess, (STRONGLY suggesting that we could not be seated in the dining room because we had "kids"....who were like 15 & 17 at the time, and the older one had her license!), and it makes for a place to which we do not envision returning.
Maybe that is why we were told 3 and a half hour wait for an empty restaurant, because we had a 6 year old with us.
The Following User Says Thank You to Doobs41378 For This Useful Post:
Biggd (03-15-2017)
Old 03-15-2017, 11:34 AM   #21
Biggd

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeredithMan View Post
All three times I was there I was not pleased with the staff. I also found them to be arrogant and generally not very pleasant. I thought I just had a bad experience so I gave it a few more tries. I'm not one to complain to management. I just won't ever go back.
The Following User Says Thank You to Biggd For This Useful Post:
RTTOOL (03-15-2017)
Old 03-15-2017, 11:55 AM   #22
ITD

I love Canoe. I go at least 5 or 6 times a year. Great food and wine is always good. Highly recommend.
ITD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 01:38 PM   #23
thinkxingu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doobs41378 View Post
Maybe that is why we were told 3 and a half hour wait for an empty restaurant, because we had a 6 year old with us.
I've only been with my 4 & 6-year-olds, so I dunno. Last summer, we went there during a ridiculous hail storm and sat on the porch--what a wonderful meal that was (with friends and their 4 & 7-year-olds).

Old 03-15-2017, 05:19 PM   #24
phoenix

back to the subject . I have seen many times where a landlord has a good paying tenant and decides to raise the rent a lot and the result is the tenant leaves and the place stays vacant. I don't know if Scott will go in there but bet it will be with cost that he can make money . By the way I have been a few times to Canoe. the food is good , a little over priced but also the way the restaurant is set up can be very noisy when fairly crowded
Old 03-15-2017, 07:33 PM   #25
belly_button_biter

I'm a little surprised to hear that Scott is taking on this endeavor. He had to cut back hours at the canoe due to difficulties staffing. Where is the staff going to come from for this place.
belly_button_biter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 09:18 PM   #26
Mr. V

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix View Post
By the way I have been a few times to Canoe. the food is good , a little over priced but also the way the restaurant is set up can be very noisy when fairly crowded
I have the same complaint about Ellacoya.

Fortunately that's the only complaint.
Mr. V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 07:52 AM   #27
Gatto Nero

Quote:
Just heard the news tonight. We had become regulars over the winter at Provisions . A family man with a dream. The guy worked hard and was very accommodating and friendly. Sorry to see this end
IMHO his menu was geared too much towards higher end clientele that isn't here long enough throughout the year to support it. I believe places like that need to cater to the locals with good home style items at reasonable prices in order to survive. Think Bob House. Would love to have seen a place like SubCrazy in that location. I bet it would be crawling with builders, landscapers, cops, etc all year long.
Old 03-16-2017, 09:28 AM   #28
jbolty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatto Nero View Post
IMHO his menu was geared too much towards higher end clientele that isn't here long enough throughout the year to support it. I believe places like that need to cater to the locals with good home style items at reasonable prices in order to survive. Think Bob House. Would love to have seen a place like SubCrazy in that location. I bet it would be crawling with builders, landscapers, cops, etc all year long.
I know a guy who spent years training and working in high end restaurants and even spent time at an American style kitchen in Japan. Eventually when he opened his own place it was a snack shack on the island of North Haven in Maine. as he said: "Fine dining is fun but the money is in french fries"
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 10:40 AM   #29
thinkxingu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatto Nero View Post
Sub Crazy is interesting, but they, too, are pricy.

The Following User Says Thank You to thinkxingu For This Useful Post:
bumble71 (03-17-2017)
Old 03-16-2017, 10:35 PM   #30
Bayview Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doobs41378 View Post
We went to Canoe once. It was like 5 and nobody was there. The woman at the desk told us they could seat us at 8:30!

Sent from my iPad using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
Bayview Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 06:17 AM   #31
Gatto Nero

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkxingu View Post
Sub Crazy is interesting, but they, too, are pricy.
Their sandwiches aren't cheap but it's incredible what you get for your money. A large Italian is $9-$10 but it's easily enough to split 2 ways if not 3.
Old 03-22-2017, 08:37 PM   #32
WINNOCTURN
Deceased Member

Question Look like it is happening.

Quote:
Over the last several days I have seen various vehicles parked in front of Provisions with markings of several of Stott's businesses.

One today had O Stake Bistro emblem on the rear quarter. The other was a Brown Panel Truck, did not catch the Name.

I don't think it will take too much time before we know exactly what type of "Restaurant" it will be.
Old 03-25-2017, 05:08 PM   #33
Hillcountry

Only having been to CHP once, that one time was on a weekday, non-busy time of day (one woman sitting outside, no one inside)
We ordered roll up sandwiches and I wanted fries but the guy said they "couldn't or wouldn't be able to" at that time...didn't question why but found the people a little strange about something...couldn't quite put our finger on it...like something secretive was going on but we weren't privy to it.
Sat outside waiting (we had our dog with us) for what seemed like an excruciatingly, long time and even went inside to see if they forgot about us and someone said "it will be a few more minutes" (2 cold cut wraps and a bag of chips?)
Went back outside and someone finally came out with the food.
What we had was very good so we ate and enjoyed it. Someone brought out our bill (wouldn't let us pay when we ordered) and I cringed when I saw it was nearly $40 for the food...yikes!
Chalked it up as an expensive, lunch and went on our way.
Not surprised they shut down.
Hillcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 08:49 PM   #34
thinkxingu

The thing was, none of the workers--including the apparent owner--seemed to have any idea why we were upset at waiting an hour for a couple sandwiches.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to thinkxingu For This Useful Post:
bumble71 (03-25-2017), Hillcountry (03-25-2017)
Old 03-29-2017, 09:45 AM   #35
winni83

It seems that Scott Ouellette will in fact be operating a business at the former Center Harbor Provisions building under the name Bellies-N-Butts. Not sure of the details or menu but I am told the business will offer barbeque and in the morning something different, perhaps with Cider Bellies donuts.
winni83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 09:55 AM   #36
garysanfran

Default Really?

Quote:
Originally Posted by winni83 View Post
It seems that Scott Ouellette will in fact be operating a business at the former Center Harbor Provisions building under the name Bellies-N-Butts. Not sure of the details or menu but I am told the business will offer barbeque and in the morning something different, perhaps with Cider Bellies donuts.
Sounds like another workout place...
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to garysanfran For This Useful Post:
gillygirl (03-30-2017), mbhoward (04-10-2017), noreast (03-29-2017), upthesaukee (03-29-2017)
Old 03-29-2017, 09:59 AM   #37
Blyblvrd

Quote:
Originally Posted by garysanfran View Post
Sounds like another workout place...
That's hilarious
Blyblvrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 05:29 PM   #38
bruinsfan

That is a ridiculous name for a business in that area.

I thought he had more class than that. It sure doesn't fit the area's character.
bruinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 08:33 PM   #39
Hillcountry

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruinsfan View Post

I thought he had more class than that. It sure doesn't fit the area's character.
Add rotund, customers wearing yoga pants and it takes that name to another level altogether!
😬
Hillcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 07:15 AM   #40
longislander

Quote:
Maybe ... the characters in that area ... rather than, the area's character ... would be more apropos!
longislander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 08:03 AM   #41
Pineedles

Maybe Whole Belly Clams and Pulled Pork Sandwichs?
Pineedles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 02:04 PM   #42
joey2665

Thanked 1,007 Times in 648 Posts

Sounds like cider belly doughnuts and pulled pork. Why do critical? it's just a restaurant name not offensive at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
joey2665 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to joey2665 For This Useful Post:
bumble71 (03-30-2017)
Old 03-30-2017, 07:21 PM   #43
tbonies

After considering all of this Sage input, he adjusted the name. It is now "Guts N Butts" to better match the area.
tbonies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 08:05 PM   #44
bumble71

Quote:

What AREA would it be more suitable for in your expert opinion?

bumble71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 01:06 AM   #45
bruinsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumble71 View Post
What AREA would it be more suitable for in your expert opinion?

no expert here... just feel that the name has attributes that are not fitting for the area.

sorry you feel differently...have a great day!
Old 03-31-2017, 04:18 AM   #46
thinkxingu

Quote:
no expert here... just feel that the name has attributes that are not fitting for the area.

sorry you feel differently...have a great day!
I agree--the name would be better suited to the Weirs area, like Looney Bin and Broken Spoke. But with Lavinia's, Piccolo, Mug by the Bay, etc. Butts just doesn't fit in.

Old 03-31-2017, 06:21 AM   #47
Barney Bear

Default Name Game

Hate to butt in, but a "clever" name is readily remembered. If the offerings are delicious, the name may become acceptable to most folks. 🐷 🐖 🥓 🍺
Barney Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Barney Bear For This Useful Post:
bumble71 (03-31-2017), thinkxingu (03-31-2017)
Old 03-31-2017, 05:19 PM   #48
phoenix

I don't understand why we should care what he names the new restaurant. Its his right to name it anythng ( one of the best seafood restaurants in Boston is called no name) . When all said and done if he offers great food at a reasonable price he will succeed if not it will end up as another restaurant that didn't suceed. For me i hope he does succeed as we can then have another choice with our dining dollars .
ACME on the Broads (04-17-2017), Biggd (04-03-2017), bumble71 (03-31-2017), joey2665 (03-31-2017)
Old 03-31-2017, 06:25 PM   #49
joey2665

Thanked 1,007 Times in 648 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix View Post
I don't understand why we should care what he names the new restaurant. Its his right to name it anythng ( one of the best seafood restaurants in Boston is called no name) . When all said and done if he offers great food at a reasonable price he will succeed if not it will end up as another restaurant that didn't suceed. For me i hope he does succeed as we can then have another choice with our dining dollars .

joey2665 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 08:24 AM   #50
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

Quote:
Originally Posted by winni83 View Post
Well I guess that is another business of Scott's that I will not bother going too...

Scott has had a lot of success, however I have had run ins with his business practices, and his prices.. and don't bother to dine in his establishments anymore....

The lakes region used to be nice, with dining options for all, but lately the trend appears to be to cater to the Urban crowd, business that cater to the common folk with simple menus and fair prices are quickly disappearing...
Old 04-03-2017, 09:28 AM   #51
Acrossamerica

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIforrelaxin View Post
Well I guess that is another business of Scott's that I will not bother going too...

Scott has had a lot of success, however I have had run ins with his business practices, and his prices.. and don't bother to dine in his establishments anymore....

The lakes region used to be nice, with dining options for all, but lately the trend appears to be to cater to the Urban crowd, business that cater to the common folk with simple menus and fair prices are quickly disappearing...
I beg to differ. With rare exception all of the restaurants in the Lakes Region cater to the simple folk with easy to understand comfort food menus. As to price incase you have not noticed the $5 haircut has also disappeared. The locals do not dine out in sufficient quantity to allow simple places to survive on cheap prices. However, I have found that the 7/11 1.99 cheese burger is outstanding for the price and McDonalds will still fill you up for under $10 a person.
Acrossamerica is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Acrossamerica For This Useful Post:
Biggd (04-03-2017)
Old 04-03-2017, 09:43 AM   #52
Greene's Basin Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIforrelaxin View Post

At least we still have George's Diner!!!
Greene's Basin Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 09:55 AM   #53
Biggd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acrossamerica View Post
I beg to differ. With rare exception all of the restaurants in the Lakes Region cater to the simple folk with easy to understand comfort food menus. As to price incase you have not noticed the $5 haircut has also disappeared. The locals do not dine out in sufficient quantity to allow simple places to survive on cheap prices. However, I have found that the 7/11 1.99 cheese burger is outstanding for the price and McDonalds will still fill you up for under $10 a person.
I agree. It's not easy to run a restaurant and it's even more of a challenge in a seasonal area like the lakes region or Cape Cod. The price of food has shot up considerably in the past 10 years. If you want cheap eats, go to the grocery store and cook it yourself. Personally I don't mind paying if the food and the service is good. I've heard many people complain about the Common Man restaurants but overall he has a good business model and runs a tight ship which is a difficult task when you have that many places. I've run my own business for over 30 years and if there is one thing I've learned is that you can't please everybody. If you're successful that means you've pleased the majority.
Old 04-03-2017, 12:24 PM   #54
sky's

i hope the guts and butts was a joke????
sky's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 12:59 PM   #55
ITD

Don't forget Center Harbor diner and, of course, the Village Kitchen. Love those places.
ITD is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ITD For This Useful Post:
bruinsfan (04-04-2017)
Old 04-04-2017, 03:40 AM   #56
bruinsfan

Sunshine and Pa's in Meredith is a favorite with our family
Old 04-04-2017, 09:32 AM   #57
VitaBene

Thanked 1,599 Times in 820 Posts
Default Bbq

I am looking forward to seeing what Scott and team do in this location. We are always looking for good takeout food, especially dock accessible!!
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 10:32 AM   #58
WINNOCTURN
Deceased Member

Default Hot dog cart????

Quote:
Originally Posted by VitaBene View Post
I am looking forward to seeing what Scott and team do in this location. We are always looking for good takeout food, especially dock accessible!!
John,

Do you think he may have the HOT DOG Cart down on the Docks again?
Old 04-04-2017, 01:36 PM   #59
thinkxingu

Quote:
Originally Posted by WINNOCTURN View Post
John,

Do you think he may have the HOT DOG Cart down on the Docks again?
A BBQ cart on the Center Harbor docks would be AWESOME!!!

Old 04-04-2017, 02:08 PM   #60
webmaster

Thanked 3,697 Times in 820 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkxingu View Post
A BBQ cart on the Center Harbor docks would be AWESOME!!!
Not BBQ, but there used to be a food cart at the Center Harbor docks back in 2007:

webmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to webmaster For This Useful Post:
WINNOCTURN (04-04-2017)